Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My lucky day

A couple of weeks ago, I put a deposit on a 997TT to secure a place on the list to get a build date, with an expected date around October/November.

Today, I got an email from the salesman that an immediate spot opened up. An order cancelled -- I could take that spot for an April build date and spec the car the way I wanted it. But I needed to commit and get my order in within 24 hrs.

You bet I wanted it!

Luckily, even though I had expected to have a few months to nail down my desired spec, I had a good idea what I wanted. I went to the store this evening and placed the order. I still have a day or so to make changes, though no guarantees. My lucky day!

I went with Slate Grey, black interior, black mats, heated seats, adaptive sport seats, sport chrono, lsd, rear wiper, leather rear center console with turbo logo, leather gear trim, leather door finishers, leather seat backs, and thicker steering wheel.

I'm still undecided on the sport shifter.

I read through many threads on this board to help me decide. And special thanks to Atomic for his advice. Oh, and his car was in the service bay when I was there to place the order. Sweet ride.

Now the real wait begins.

Re: My lucky day

What convinced you to pick the rear wiper?

Congrats. How about thicker multifunction steering wheel

Quote:
    hatchback said:

Loooove the slate grey.

You can always remove wiper in the off season. Find a plastic cap somewhere to cover the stub.

Quote:
    hatchback said:

Believe it or not, it rains a lot here in Seattle. I went back and forth on the rear wiper. Atomic's car was there and it had the rear wiper, so I was swayed.

You don't like it?

I think the rear wiper kills a bit the roofline of the 911...
    We have plenty of rain these days. Not a problem at all.
    And I did not even bother putting rainX on the glass...

Congratulations Brad on getting an allocation! I'm happy to have helped you out. It's extremely hard trying to figure out all the many options to get.

I personally found the rear wipers to be useful even if it does ruin the lines of the car. I highly recommend keeping it.

Have you decided whether or not you'd like to get the sportshifter or not? It can be a bit notchy when cold but works very well once things get warmed up.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Congrats. How about thicker multifunction steering wheel

I'll go with that advise too, very useful for me, hopefully for you too

Quote:
    Eaglejackson said:
    Quote:
    hatchback said:

Believe it or not, it rains a lot here in Seattle. I went back and forth on the rear wiper. Atomic's car was there and it had the rear wiper, so I was swayed.

You don't like it?

A priori, I thought the rear wiper was a no-brainer to improve rearward visibility during inclement weather. However I have subsequently read a great many posts saying it was ugly and unnecessary. So I was curious to know why you had added the rear wiper to your initial spec.

It's the only no cost option that Porsche offers. Since Porsche has chosen fit to rape us with all the options available, why not go with something that's free.

For a second I thought you stole my car!! LOL. also April build:
    Slate/black
    heated seats
    sport chrono
    adaptive sport seats
    rocker panel painted
    LSD
    thicker steering wheel
    crest in headrest
    rear center console leather
    door finishers in leather
    carbon package
    carbon switch panel
    gear lever trim leather
    storage lid w/ model logo
    sport shifter
    PCCB

No cost option in the US? Gosh, we have to pay for the rear aero wiper in the EU!!

I have to say, I thought about that same decision when I was speccing my car. I decided against it - IMO it does spoil the lines of the rear, it doesn't really belong on a sports car IMHO but, most of all, from a functionality perspective, it is only useful for snow and when it's actually raining. It doesn't help clean a rear window if it is covered with grime but is dry. Obviously since there is no water jet to the rear window.

I thought most of the advice I'd get today would be whether to get the sport shifter or not; instead it's on the rear wiper

Hey, we're a weird bunch. The sport shifter is already a must-have in my book. I just sent you an email about that.

Quote:
    Eaglejackson said:
    I thought most of the advice I'd get today would be whether to get the sport shifter or not; instead it's on the rear wiper

Lose the wiper, get the shifter

sport shifter, dont leave home without it...the wiper id pass on even if free ...in my limited heavy rain driving the rear window dosent even get wet given the aerodynamics

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    For a second I thought you stole my car!! LOL. also April build:

Cool, we'll have east coast / west coast twins!

I brought my fashion consultant (eg., my wife) to the store last night to help pick color. She saw the slate gray and immediately said, "That's it."

Congrats on your order - you need to cruise with us in a few months - my 0.02c - the sports shifter is a must have - and delete the wiper - imho, it makes the car look like a hatchback and I don't have problems in the rain, as someone previously pointed out, the aerodynamics precludes the use of a wiper...

I guess I'm the ONLY one who thinks that the rear wiper is a keeper.

BTW, that's my driveway..and it's not really steep like that!

Wiper is a big and fat NO NO

Rear wiper

No, I love the rear wiper too! My car was covered in snow last night at the restaurant and a simple wipe saved my time.

Much faster than having to wait for the rear defrost to kick in. I guess I'm the form follows function kind of guy.

Re: Rear wiper

Get the rear wiper, it adds a needed design element making the rear look better I think. Porsche used it first on rear windows, it's iconic to 911's, its great when it snows,it does snow in Seattle and its one of the few freebies from Porsche.

Any 997 without a rear wiper looks incomplete!

Get it

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I guess I'm the ONLY one who thinks that the rear wiper is a keeper.

BTW, that's my driveway..and it's not really steep like that!

I am with you on this one. Rear wiper is a must as it's a no cost option.

Hey, the rear wiper votes are making a comeback

I tried to keep from going crazy on the interior upgrades as they get expensive fast. The one place I went further than I had intended is the leather seat backs for the adaptive sport seats. It's strange that the standard seats have beautiful leather backs but the $1500 extra seats have the plastic backs. I had to spend another $1600 for the leather backs (ouch!) but that's Porsche for you.

Oh, the car is a surprise birthday gift from my wife. I'm a lucky guy, eh?

Here's my take on the rear wiper. Pop the arm off in the Summer and put a cap over the stud. Get the cap from a big hardware store in all those little drawers with hardware.

If you find you never use it, just access the mechanism via back seat and unbolt it and unsnap the electrics and pull it out. Get a nice plug for the paint side. Little plug never will bother anybody. Those guys with parking assist live easily with four of them right in plain view.

I've had those things on a number of cars and never really used them except when I lived in the NE and would get caught in snow storms. For rain? Never used them.

My us$.02

That's a GREAT idea from MMD. Bumperplugs sells those caps I think so I just may do that. I'll have to see how easy it is to remove the wiper arm.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    That's a GREAT idea from MMD. Bumperplugs sells those caps I think so I just may do that. I'll have to see how easy it is to remove the wiper arm.

Here's the exploded diagram. Hopefully the stud isn't huge (Damn if it is!). Would be nice if BPlugs had something in the car's color!

Rear wipers are about as useful as the headlight washers. I have the car for a year and NEVER used them. In fact, I'm not sure if my headlight washers work.

Quote:
    Hollli82 said:
    Rear wipers are about as useful as the headlight washers. I have the car for a year and NEVER used them. In fact, I'm not sure if my headlight washers work.

You live in Las Vegas, it never rains there. Of course you're not going to find them useful there.

Quote:
    Hollli82 said:

You are correct sir. They have very specialized uses.

If you live in climates where it snows and find yourself driving on urban roads when the snow melts the headlight washers come in handy because the dirty melt water (may have salt!) leaves a light-obfuscating film on the headlights. The washers wash this soluble film off.

Even driving on melt-water-laden highways you'll find your headlights lose alot of their output. Conventional headlights tend to dry this stuff into a film. Not sure about Litronics

If you get caught where it snows and you're driving slowly in the rear window wiper comes in handy, especially when maneuvering in parking lots.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752889 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430557 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258519 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5251 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868158 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801710 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM