Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Got a rear puncture tonight....and...

No space saver and the expanding foam was a no go as the tyre was split!!

No damage to the rear wheel which was a bonus. So, big bill coming tomorrow.... (and I wanted to scrub the last few mm off on a soon to be taken track day.

Re: Got a rear puncture tonight....and...

The best thing is the wheel is OK. At least your day wasn't ruined by a big inconvenience AND a bigger bill.

Hence the reason I have (1) full tire and wheel insurance and (2) a radial tire repair kit in the trunk.

Dan

I got a rear tire puncture on day 5 of owning the car. Fortunately the tire pressure monitor warned me before bad things happened to the rim.

Where do I find a 'radial tire repair kit?'

Thx

Repair kit is a gooey plug, insertion tool, rasp, and a small tube of rubber "cement,"

Get them at local auto supplies store. Us$5-10.

Pull a nail out, then plug hole, fill with air, replace tire on hub then drive away; get tire properly repaired at your leisure.

You will need to buy a jack and lug wrench and pliers (to pull nail out) because they're not included with car.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    No space saver and the expanding foam was a no go as the tyre was split!!

So was it a puncture or a tear? If a tear... what caused it? and how bold was the tire?

Well, to be fair I'll know more this morning as Porsche recovery was able to collect me and the car and take us home last night. Insofar as what the problem is I couldn't be completely sure last night as it was in the dark, however, I'm likely to know more this morning once I've had another look.

If what I saw last night is the cause then it's like a sharp cut about an inch long and I have no idea how it was caused. I'll take a look now actually and report back if I find the problem.

Sheet! A sharp cut?! Did you all-of-a-sudden get the flat; or discover it when coming back to car. The latter would be vandalism.

What a fiasco I've had today.

The car was collected and taken to a local OPC (who shall remain nameless for the time being) as agreed and recommended by Porsche Assistance...

Anyway, here goes. On the basis the car could not be driven it made sense for the car to be taken to the OPC for a set of rear tyres. Not a problem in principle, or so I thought.

Without going into too much detail I decided that it might be the right opportunity to have all 4 tyres changed as Michelin have an offer currently on where if you buy four tyres you get 25% off. The front's will need changing in a month or so and obviously couldn't take advantage of the 25% deal as I would be only be buying two at some other time. Anyway, the OPC took about six hours to get a price to me therefore stumping any ideas of getting the tyres from elsewhere as I missed delivery slots etc. Well, although I knew they wouldn't be the cheapest they were certainly the most expensive. Nearly Pounds1,400 for all four. Jeez.

As the OPC already had my car they took the view that they would not move on the price baring in mind I had a price of Pounds920 from a local Tyre centre.

This kind of infuriated me with the OPC's standard attitude to it's customers. I know it's not normal to have tyres fitted at the OPC but as Porsche Assistance "implied" they would only take it to an OPC, (which later turned out not to be true) I felt that any increase in the price would be acceptable. Not Pounds500 higher though.

So, after expressing that I felt I had been subject to some form of "entrapment" I spoke to Porsche Assistance about bringing my car back home albeit counter productive. Porsche assistance refused as they said the car had already been transported to a place where the repair could be carried out. Fair point I thought, so they would not once again transport the car FOC to another location. It may be worth mentioning that Porsche Assistance were very good also. Not only did they pick my car and I up at 7pm last night and transport us home, they also came first thing this morning to take the car to the OPC. Meanwhile also sorting a courtesy car out for me (E class Merc.) So, after getting nowhere with moving the car to another location I spoke to Porsche Customer Service on their recommendation who let it be said were also very understanding and helpful.

Long story short, soon after the OPC dropped their price by Pounds300.

Dunno if that's a result or not. Just felt I'd been forced into a corner that wasn't pleasant to say the least. Lesson learned.

Oh, collect the car tomorrow lunch time. and Pounds1,100 lighter.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Repair kit is a gooey plug, insertion tool, rasp, and a small tube of rubber "cement,"

Get them at local auto supplies store. Us$5-10.

Pull a nail out, then plug hole, fill with air, replace tire on hub then drive away; get tire properly repaired at your leisure.

You will need to buy a jack and lug wrench and pliers (to pull nail out) because they're not included with car.

Definately a good idea. So any brand will do or are their better kits out there that you think work better? Just curious because its not a bad idea to have extra options available when getting a flat. Last resort for me would be shooting that "goop" into the tire. I would reach for my spare before that (if I remember to put it in the trunk).

Hey Gx,

I'm just an amateur; I buy the expensive kit (6 bucks insted of 3 LOL). Not sure if it says "for radials" on it? BUT, my wife's car is always getting a flat (drives too close to curb in a turn) and I always hear about it Sunday night. So guess who's out there fixing it?

Anyway I use the DIY kit and she promises to drop the car off and get the thing properly fixed. She never does.

My Point: if you're lucky and it's just a simple puncture they work really well. Though I'd get a proper fix at the earliest convenience.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    What a fiasco I've had today.

[edited]

Lesson learned.

Oh, collect the car tomorrow lunch time. and Pounds1,100 lighter.

Sorry to hear your horror story; a waste of time and frustrating. Sounds about right though. It's what Porsche designers had in mind when they decided to eliminate the spare.

My goal would have been to get the car home where it's safe from "entrapment," dismount the flat, then take the flat only to a QUALITY tire shop and let them patch it (if properly patchable).

Will Porsche Roadside Assist take car to your house if not too far? If not they are slime. AAA in the states will tow it to your house if it's under 50(?) miles.

ResB what has happened to you is a joke i was quoted Pounds950 for 4 michelins 1 month ago by my local OPC.Did you purchase the car from this OPC as it may help if you have a relationship with them?Glad you got the stealers price down Pounds300 fella

Quote:
    robbo said:
    ResB what has happened to you is a joke i was quoted Pounds950 for 4 michelins 1 month ago by my local OPC.Did you purchase the car from this OPC as it may help if you have a relationship with them?Glad you got the stealers price down Pounds300 fella

Oh, that news made me feel good. Thanks for that! I bought the car from Porsche Notts which is about 70 miles away (they were really good). The car was taken to my local OPC (Sheffield) as there was a fire at Porsche Leeds recently. There seems to be a pattern forming here. Any JCT franchise seems to be getting bad press from what I can see.

I picked it up today and paid the Pounds1,100. Gutted I can tell you. Ah well, I'll put it down as "character forming"

Quote:
    ResB said:

I picked it up today and paid the Pounds1,100. Gutted I can tell you. Ah well, I'll put it down as "character forming"

Well you got four new tires, that's good.

Be careful driving on them because it takes 300-400 km for the new tires to get their fullest traction and grip.

I'd have got them to give me the flat rear, taken it to the tyre shop, got that tyre replaced, put it back on the car, driven the car back to the tyre shop and got them to replace the other three.

But it's time and convenience... A day of my time is worth the difference in quotes, so I'd be no richer taking the day off to sort it, just very annoyed with OPC!

I have to say your experience is typical of most of them.
    When you speak, they hear cash registers ringing, rather than a customer that might trade up to a more expensive model next year if he receives outstanding service.

Glad you got them to knock off 300 quid but what a blinkin cheek! I'm getting my tyres changed soon and the price in Tokyo (one of the most expensive cities in the world) is GBP 912.00 for a set of 4 19" tyres. Makes you want to buy from an independant dealer!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I'd have got them to give me the flat rear, taken it to the tyre shop, got that tyre replaced, put it back on the car, driven the car back to the tyre shop and got them to replace the other three.

But it's time and convenience... A day of my time is worth the difference in quotes, so I'd be no richer taking the day off to sort it, just very annoyed with OPC!

I have to say your experience is typical of most of them.
    When you speak, they hear cash registers ringing, rather than a customer that might trade up to a more expensive model next year if he receives outstanding service.

Yeah, I hear what your saying and did kind of consider that and kind of wish I did to a certain extent. Like you though I would have had to spend the day sorting it out which is hardly enthrawling. It's a question of whether Pounds200 lost was worth the day messing about. I'll never know.

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    Glad you got them to knock off 300 quid but what a blinkin cheek! I'm getting my tyres changed soon and the price in Tokyo (one of the most expensive cities in the world) is GBP 912.00 for a set of 4 19" tyres. Makes you want to buy from an independant dealer!

Certainly does. The whole episode just wound me off the clock. Ah well, as I say, you live and learn.

Thanks for the comments guyz.

Unlucky - i kept one of my old rear tyres just in case. in the vent of a puncture i can have the car returned home, whip the wheel off, nip down the local depot with other tyre etc etc

Pathetic attitude form your delaer tho - letter to dealer principal will do no harm, if only to tell them you won;t be doing any more business with them

Hi ResB!

So what really caused the problem in your rear tyre? Was it a cut? was it vandalism? was it sidewall failure? inquiring minds want to know...

Quote:
    percymon said:
    Unlucky - i kept one of my old rear tyres just in case. in the vent of a puncture i can have the car returned home, whip the wheel off, nip down the local depot with other tyre etc etc

EXCELLENT IDEA. Because everybody seems to have had to WAIT for a new tire to be shipped in (none on stock). Should be standard operating proceduure for all of us when we get new tires. Keep one rear and one front. THEN you can get a new tire (or a new set) at _your_ convenience.

Heck, keep ALL of the old tires and give 2 away to fellow 997 owners.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Hi ResB!

So what really caused the problem in your rear tyre? Was it a cut? was it vandalism? was it sidewall failure? inquiring minds want to know...

I'm not completely sure to be honest. I forgot to ask what could have caused the puncture when I collected the car. It looked to me like a split but as for how it was caused I've no idea.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    percymon said:

EXCELLENT IDEA. Because everybody seems to have had to WAIT for a new tire to be shipped in (none on stock). Should be standard operating proceduure for all of us when we get new tires. Keep one rear and one front. THEN you can get a new tire (or a new set) at _your_ convenience.

Heck, keep ALL of the old tires and give 2 away to fellow 997 owners.

I had actually asked for one of the front and rear tyres to be given back to me to do the exact same thing. All I needed to do was get a couple of 2nd hand alloys and have them fitted. Then when and if it happens again, all I need is some help getting the spare wheel to me and we're good to go.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809229 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450592 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267906 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91079 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7920 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    838898 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM