Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Model X Thread Closed

I believe it was the CEO of BMW who said eventually there will only be 3 automakers, and one will be Morgan.

Than both men would be right:

"Das letzte Auto, das gebaut werden wird, wird ein Sportwagen sein." – Ferry Porsche

"The last car that will be built, is a sports car."

Smiley

Blueflame

porsche-normal.jpg

I rather think that the last car which will be driven by a human will be a sports car. indecision angry

I get sick when I hear and read about that autonomous driving crap... This should happen for commercial cars like busses, trucks and public transport but not individual transportation (unless the driver wants to relax and specifically chooses to let a computer drive).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Unions are too strong for autonomous trucks and buses. But they are the best form of automobiles to be autopilot-ed.

--

Whoopsy:

Unions are too strong for autonomous trucks and buses. But they are the best form of automobiles to be autopilot-ed.

Tesla is currently testing autonomous trucks Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

Tesla is currently testing autonomous trucks Smiley

That's what I don't get. How much range they can squeeze out of a electric truck? And if they give it a big enough battery then the recharge time will be horrendous, Drive for 10 hours then recharge for 24hr Smiley

If it's a city delivery truck, then it doesn't make sense. Humans can do a better job driving a delivery truck in the city. 

Autonomous trucks are best suited for long distance highway usage, say like those in Germany that are confined to the right most lane without passing rights. It gets boring to drive like that for humans and safer to have the car take over in those situations. 

In North American truckers are not confined to the right lane and are very aggressive in their passing maneuvers, they will also hog the left and middle lanes at times. 

--

If anything, semi trucks are the most ideal candidates for an EV powertrain and autonomous driving.

Semis get terrible mileage, they benefit greatly from torque, you'd save huge amounts of money in labor and they could drive 24/7, much of which would be at night with totally empty roads.

The assumption is that in future they'd ideally manage city and suburb delivery just fine, but for now they could just go between hubs where humans take over the final delivery distance.

noone1:

If anything, semi trucks are the most ideal candidates for an EV powertrain and autonomous driving.

Semis get terrible mileage, they benefit greatly from torque, you'd save huge amounts of money in labor and they could drive 24/7, much of which would be at night with totally empty roads.

The assumption is that in future they'd ideally manage city and suburb delivery just fine, but for now they could just go between hubs where humans take over the final delivery distance.

And how would one power the semis? As I said, charging the battery would be the biggest hurdle. 

Unless of course one put a diesel generator in the cab onboard and keep topping up the batteries while the e-motor drives it.

But then again why not stay with diesel and skip the EV drivetrain? 

--

Simple: Battery swap.

noone1:

Simple: Battery swap.

Pipe dream.Smiley

How many million miles of highway there are again? Where would the battery swap stations be located? How many million packs of truck capacity batteries are needed?

Not so simple now isn't it?

--

Battery swap stations could be wherever you wanted them to be. Just like the supercharger network, simply have the trucks drive certain routes. Maybe that costs them an hour or two, but if they're driving 24/7, who cares?

Of course they'd need huge amounts of battery packs, but so what? It's not like there are going to be millions of trucks the very next day. Capacity will grow with the amount of trucks sold.

Naturally range will improve over time, as will charging speed. Maybe you won't need battery swaps in the future and a few hours of charging down time will still be irrelevant because they're driving 24/7 without paid labor.

EV autonomous semis don't need to be 10x better than what we have now, they just need to be better period.

noone1:

Battery swap stations could be wherever you wanted them to be. Just like the supercharger network, simply have the trucks drive certain routes. Maybe that costs them an hour or two, but if they're driving 24/7, who cares?

Of course they'd need huge amounts of battery packs, but so what? It's not like there are going to be millions of trucks the very next day. Capacity will grow with the amount of trucks sold.

Naturally range will improve over time, as will charging speed. Maybe you won't need battery swaps in the future and a few hours of charging down time will still be irrelevant because they're driving 24/7 without paid labor.

EV autonomous semis don't need to be 10x better than what we have now, they just need to be better period.

The difference between theory and practice... In Germany, there are not even enough spots near the Autobahn to park all those trucks during the mandatory pauses the drivers have to do. Thinking of battery swaps for trucks is wishful thinking in the real world. The only area where electrical trucks make sense is in the cities. Everywhere else the idea is downright nonsense (given the current technology) Smiley

Well, Germany doesn't need the same infrastructure as the United States. Germany is tiny. The amount of open land in Europe is vast. If they need infrastructure, they can build it. Plenty of room to build truck stops in Germany.

And who said anything about Europe anyway? You guys don't even think you can use Tesla's in Germany lol. We don't have these worries in America.

Carlos from Spain:

............................., and stop light acceleration is considered "meh" here.

Smiley

waiting for PDK:
    noone1:

How long are people on this forum going to deny that Teslas are great cars? The numbers don't lie.

I can't get a load of lumber home in my 911.

A Tesla can't do 300 kmph all day long.

My diesel can go 1,000 km on a tank.  (I personally don't understand this attraction, as my bladder and back definitely can't.)

We're going back and forth, which is fun (and largely civil).  I think the unspoken issue is that eventually we'll all be riding in autonomous pods, and the drivers on this forum don't like it.  Porsche will be dead.  Audi, Mercedes and the rest as well, since nobody will care the brand name on the little pod that you summon on your iWhatever.  We don't have to like it, but the numbers are against us.

I believe it was the CEO of BMW who said eventually there will only be 3 automakers, and one will be Morgan.

Not those numbers; sales numbers. Their cars sell well. Can't argue with that.

noone1:

Well, Germany doesn't need the same infrastructure as the United States. Germany is tiny. The amount of open land in Europe is vast. If they need infrastructure, they can build it. Plenty of room to build truck stops in Germany.

And who said anything about Europe anyway? You guys don't even think you can use Tesla's in Germany lol. We don't have these worries in America.

Electric trucks in the USA is even more unlikely than in Europe. You don't believe in this nonsense, do you? In cities yes. Outside of cities - never ever for the next 100 years.

I don't follow. Why wouldn't electric trucks be possible in the US? Like, what's your reasoning?

noone1:

I don't follow. Why wouldn't electric trucks be possible in the US? Like, what's your reasoning?

Just use your brain and think for once instead of argue for argument sake.

Right now there are even enough charging stations for normal electric cars, the infrastructure just isn't there, let alone for trucks.

The infrastructure for trucks is even more important than cars. Who is paying for that? Who is paying for all the billions worth of battery packs? Where is the electric truck, hell there aren't even a prototype yet.

Say if magically all of those appeared overnight and for free. Would the trucker unions even allowed their members to be replaced by robotic cars?

--

And I read that the size of the batteries you would need for a truck to haul a cargo, and have a long enough range to compete with diesel trucks, would leave the truck little room to carry cargo 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

You guys are short sighted. The dude is already landing and reusing rockets for space flight.

Battery prices are coming way down, charging speeds are going way up, autonomous driving doesn't have to negotiate with trucker unions because they won't need truckers.

It's not going to happen over night, but it will happen in the not too distance future. 10 years ago you guys were using flip phones...

noone1:

They do not make any sense for the long distances. Inefficient technology.

Last week I watched Blade Runner (1982), one of my favorites of all time, but there is a bit of humor watching it now compared to back when it came out, as the futuristic movie plot is set on the year 2019, and you can compare how it depicted the future reality... I can picture noone1 watching the movie back in 1982 and thinking that he can't wait for 2019 to have flying cars! smiley 

--

MKSGR:
    noone1:

They do not make any sense for the long distances. Inefficient technology.

Technology improves, does it not?

Forget EVs for a second. How far have sports cars come in 10 years? A 2007 Porsche is garbage compared to a 2017 one.

Technologies often develop exponentially. You have a long, slow flat area until the technology hits a certain point at which the applications and possibilities explode and suddenly you see exponential growth in functionality. As it matures, it slows down again.

You're about to witness the exponential growth of EV technology and applications, as well as AI.

Carlos from Spain:

Last week I watched Blade Runner (1982), one of my favorites of all time...

kisskiss

Can't wait for Bladerunner 2049 in October!

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Me too, though I'm worried Ridley Scott will fuck it up just like both Prometheus and Alien Covenant. 

Eagerly waiting for Blade runner 2049 too, though I'm facing it without any expectations so I'm not let down since it's hard to replicate such movies in a sequel, but just listening to the soundtrack of the trailer of BR 2049 was exciting, it sounds the same!

Coincidently, the same director, Villeneuve, will also be directing the remake of Dune, the original 1984 by David Lynch is another of my all time favorites (including in books too, Frank Herbert’s sci-fi saga “Dune” is epic), unfortunately that means Dune will be far far away still surprise

--

Indeed, if ever there was a chance to fail to live up to expectations for a sequel, then BR 2049 has to be it. The interview with Villeneuve about it is interesting as he is also a huge fan of the original and gets this. A lot of pressure there. Trailers look promising though.

David Lynch has to be my favourite director of all wink. Some mind-blowing stuff.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

MKSGR:
    noone1:

The difference between theory and practice... In Germany, there are not even enough spots near the Autobahn to park all those trucks during the mandatory pauses the drivers have to do. Thinking of battery swaps for trucks is wishful thinking in the real world. The only area where electrical trucks make sense is in the cities. Everywhere else the idea is downright nonsense (given the current technology) Smiley

I agree. Smiley In cities, electric trucks and busses make a lot of sense and would probably take care of that whole NOx issue everyone is talking about right now.

Funny: Germany's (foreseeable) car future seems to be...Diesel...again. Lower consumption and lower CO2 output can't be beaten, not even by ELVs (looking at the whole picture here) and NOx will be lowered further, which also means that the car industry has to live with lower margins or higher prices and surely less performance (everything needed to lower NOx will also lower...real world power).

Only if the German government stops the Diesel fuel incentives (right now, Diesel is aprox. 14 cents...I think...cheaper than gasoline), people will not choose Diesel cars anymore. Maybe...they still consume much less than gasoline operated cars.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

noone1:

Me too, though I'm worried Ridley Scott will fuck it up just like both Prometheus and Alien Covenant. 

Prometheus and Alien Covenant started great (first 10 minutes or so...) and then went down the drain fast... Smiley

As if Ridley Scott is afraid of his own success or whatever.

Similar to what Disney is doing with that Star Wars franchise right now: Political correctness (diversity, expect the first gay Star Wars character in the next movie) rules and they don't seem to understand why people watch these movies. SPOILER ALERT!!!....If you haven't seen Rogue One, do not read further!!! 

They killed all the main characters in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and this was the dumbest thing they could ever do. My kids were devastated after the movie and now they are scared to watch another Star Wars movie because they are afraid their favorite characters could be killed as well. This isn't supposed to be a reflection of the real world, this is Star Wars for god's sake.

Then take other movies like Logan: Instead of portraying our childhood (comics) "heroes" in the old fashion, they try to make them look more human (or better said: they try to make these stories more approachable to ordinary non-SciFi interested people, so they attract a bigger audience and make more money off the franchise) and destroy the characters as we remember them in the process.

Same crap in TV shows: Suddenly every SciFi show has an Afro American and an Asian in it and many of them also have a gay character, man or female. Why not add a transgender and a midget to the mix, so everything is perfectly political correct. Oh wait, we shouldn't forget seniors, handicapped and Aborigines (at least in TV shows with Australian actors Smiley). This is getting ridiculous.

--

RC:
    noone1:

Prometheus and Alien Covenant started great (first 10 minutes or so...) and then went down the drain fast... Smiley

As if Ridley Scott is afraid of his own success or whatever.

Similar to what Disney is doing with that Star Wars franchise right now: Political correctness (diversity, expect the first gay Star Wars character in the next movie) rules and they don't seem to understand why people watch these movies. SPOILER ALERT!!!....If you haven't seen Rogue One, do not read further!!! 

They killed all the main characters in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and this was the dumbest thing they could ever do. My kids were devastated after the movie and now they are scared to watch another Star Wars movie because they are afraid their favorite characters could be killed as well. This isn't supposed to be a reflection of the real world, this is Star Wars for god's sake.

It made sense to kill most people in Rogue One because it was a prequel and there would be 9 movies in which the heros of the rebellion were missing. It lines up perfectly with the beginning of A New Hope.

Then take other movies like Logan: Instead of portraying our childhood (comics) "heroes" in the old fashion, they try to make them look more human (or better said: they try to make these stories more approachable to ordinary non-SciFi interested people, so they attract a bigger audience and make more money off the franchise) and destroy the characters as we remember them in the process.

Logan gets its inspiration from the actual comic story arc "Old Man Logan." It's not a 1:1 retelling of it, but that's why Logan is like this. They didn't make up this story and make it like this just to interest non-Sci-Fi fans, but rather because this was a popular story and a suitable ending for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

Same crap in TV shows: Suddenly every SciFi show has an Afro American and an Asian in it and many of them also have a gay character, man or female. Why not add a transgender and a midget to the mix, so everything is perfectly political correct. Oh wait, we shouldn't forget seniors, handicapped and Aborigines (at least in TV shows with Australian actors Smiley). This is getting ridiculous.

I've never noticed this. The make up of the cast seems pretty normal as far as I can tell. The reason you do see more Chinese actors in movies now though is that China is a major market and Chinese companies are actually investing a lot of money into major movies and they want major Chinese actors and actresses in them, even if just for small role. For example, one of China's biggest actresses and celebrities, Bingbing Fan, was in Days of Future Past and Iron Man 3, in very small roles.

http://bollingermotors.com

Interesting...

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765769 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437465 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261493 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258298 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5336 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877667 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810039 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM