Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Turbo v 997 C4S with Powerkit

Hello chaps, Im new here,firstly what a great informative board this place is,so thanks for all the info.
    Ok my decision to make at the moment is this:-
    I have a C4S with powerkit,20mm sports suspension,sports chrono pack,adapt sprts seats, carbon, turbo wheels & a few other choice options...great car indeed.However I do view the Turbo as being top of the pile, so I am wondering about trading up for one. Two main worries with this, firstly is the 997TT too fast?, can you really use it or are you carrying so much speed it seems a little too fast for the winding UK roads? ( which are great, great roads to drive on by the way).Also does the 997TT sound as good as the powerkitted S?...the sound out of my car is great,and previously I did have an X50 996TT which, well to be honest the sound was pretty flat & uninspiring.
    You see I have read many times where people have preferred the powerband of the normally aspirited car to the Turbo, and also you can thrash them around country roads revving well upto the limit whilst still travelling at reasonable speeds...so really a bit of a dilema for me. Yes I know I need to go for a test drive in the turbo and compare, just thought Id post here to see if anyone else has done the swap Im thinking of or indeed has an opinion on such an idea

Re: 997 Turbo v 997 C4S with Powerkit

I have a C4S with X51,-20mm and LSD. The sound is great, the 997 tt sound is horrible compared to the X51. The driving feeling of -20mm/LSD is superior to 997 tt PASM, but you can choose LSD on 997 tt. The speed and the power of the turbo is great you can't compare it to your X51. I have decided and will change my car in 2 month. I wil get a 997 tt with manual. The turbo isn't to fast. It is a very secure way of driving 480 hp.

Go on and trade for 997 tt.

AM

Honestly I don't think it would be worth it unless money is not an issue. Your basically gaining HP but with a bit of lag. The other thing you might like is the comfort of the turbo vs the 20mm sports suspension you have. As far as exhaust the PSE on your car is top notch and it doesn't get any better. You really need to drive the turbo and then make a decision. I have a TT on order and am currently selling my 2005 997C2S. I'll have a better answer for you in a few months. Good luck.

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    I have a C4S with X51,-20mm and LSD. The sound is great, the 997 tt sound is horrible compared to the X51. The driving feeling of -20mm/LSD is superior to 997 tt PASM, but you can choose LSD on 997 tt. The speed and the power of the turbo is great you can't compare it to your X51. I have decided and will change my car in 2 month. I wil get a 997 tt with manual. The turbo isn't to fast. It is a very secure way of driving 480 hp.

Go on and trade for 997 tt.

AM

I agree with you on the sound issue. I was standing with my friend in front of his house last week, turned away from the road and he says: "A Turbo's just driven by." Sure enough, I turn and I see the familiar silhouette. You guys weren't kidding about the vacuum cleaner .

Quote:
    Chris5150 said:
    Hello chaps, Im new here,firstly what a great informative board this place is,so thanks for all the info.
    I have a C4S with powerkit,20mm sports suspension,sports chrono pack,adapt sprts seats, carbon, turbo wheels & a few other choice options...great car indeed.However I do view the Turbo as being top of the pile, so I am wondering about trading up for one. Two main worries with this, firstly is the 997TT too fast?, can you really use it or are you carrying so much speed it seems a little too fast for the winding UK roads? ( which are great, great roads to drive on by the way).Also does the 997TT sound as good as the powerkitted S?...the sound out of my car is great,and previously I did have an X50 996TT which, well to be honest the sound was pretty flat & uninspiring.
    You see I have read many times where people have preferred the powerband of the normally aspirited car to the Turbo, and also you can thrash them around country roads revving well upto the limit whilst still travelling at reasonable speeds...so really a bit of a dilema for me. Yes I know I need to go for a test drive in the turbo and compare, just thought Id post here to see if anyone else has done the swap Im thinking of or indeed has an opinion on such an idea

If you had a 996TTx50 before just imagine the 997TT to be a very similar car. Basically, the difference between a 996TTx50 and a 997TT is very marginal. You notice many small improvements. However, the general impression after comapring both will be that the cars a pretty comparable in terms of driving excitement

Quote:
    Chris5150 said:

Hi Chris,
    there is no comparison between 911 turbo annd 911 NAs. Had 4 911s by now, the moment you drive and own a turbo then carreras will never be exciting for you. You can tune, change suspension, exhaust stc on the 4S and still it does not come close to the excitment of a tt. Yes the tt has disadvantages but they can all be addressed with 10k gbp or less- and then the tt becomes an absolutely spectacular car, GT or Enzo territory in terms of pace/ potential but easier to drive.
    As for your questions, 997tt is very easy to drive and its not too fast. Even with 600hp its well within the capabilities of the chassis. Buy one and I promise you, you wont regret it.

Uh oh GT, not the answer my wallet was looking for at all!!

Quote:
    Chris5150 said:

Hi there and welcome, first I want to advise you to be kind of selective in what you read here, especially stuff coming from people who do not own the car you are asking about, no offense to anyone in particular and that applies to myself as well.
    Although I don't own a C4S, I have driven the whole echelon of current Porsches, from base 987 through 997TT which I own, including all versions of Caymans and 997s. Let me tell you that the performance difference between your car and the TT even in stock form, is bigger than the difference between a 98 boxster and your car. That said, the TT is really easy to drive if you use common sense and we have all seen online that a TT can kill you. The sound issue is resolved with an aftermarket exhaust. The only thing that you might not like is the lag. I got used to it now but I recommend test driving one yourself like others said.
    It is a great and solid car, I say go for it you won't regret it .

Quote:
    Chris5150 said:
    Uh oh GT, not the answer my wallet was looking for at all!!

Well, I ve had this exact discussion recently with some friend with same exact dilemma as you and at the end it comes down to personal preference and needs. However, I assure you, if you have the "bug" for power and acceleration then this car is very addictive and worth every penny.. Not many choices out there imo after a tt - especially if midly tuned.
    Test drive one and most of your questions will be answered.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    Chris5150 said:

Hi there and welcome, first I want to advise you to be kind of selective in what you read here, especially stuff coming from people who do not own the car you are asking about, no offense to anyone in particular and that applies to myself as well.
    Although I don't own a C4S, I have driven the whole echelon of current Porsches, from base 987 through 997TT which I own, including all versions of Caymans and 997s. Let me tell you that the performance difference between your car and the TT even in stock form, is bigger than the difference between a 98 boxster and your car. That said, the TT is really easy to drive if you use common sense and we have all seen online that a TT can kill you. The sound issue is resolved with an aftermarket exhaust. The only thing that you might not like is the lag. I got used to it now but I recommend test driving one yourself like others said.

I am not with you. I own a C4S with X51 and I will get my 997 tt in two month. The performance difference is not so large. The straight line performance of the 997 tt is better then 997 4S X51. But on a twisty race track like Hockenheimring it is not. The 997 tt is faster, but it could not overpass a 997 4S x51. A 987 has no chance compared to a 997 4S X51.

AM

PS. aftermarket exhaust are not the same as Porsche Sport Exhaust, never heard a good sound on an aftermarket exhaust like X51 sound. I will miss it.

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    But on a twisty race track like Hockenheimring it is not. The 997 tt is faster, but it could not overpass a 997 4S x51. A 987 has no chance compared to a 997 4S X51.

AM

On the start/finish straight it should be no problem to pass a 997s x51 with a 997TT... Also, in the Parabolica it should be doable

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    Chris5150 said:

I am not with you. I own a C4S with X51 and I will get my 997 tt in two month. The performance difference is not so large. The straight line performance of the 997 tt is better then 997 4S X51. But on a twisty race track like Hockenheimring it is not. The 997 tt is faster, but it could not overpass a 997 4S x51. A 987 has no chance compared to a 997 4S X51.

AM

PS. aftermarket exhaust are not the same as Porsche Sport Exhaust, never heard a good sound on an aftermarket exhaust like X51 sound. I will miss it.

So you're not going to be adding an aftermarket exhaust?

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    Chris5150 said:

AM

Get back to me in 2 months

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    But on a twisty race track like Hockenheimring it is not. The 997 tt is faster, but it could not overpass a 997 4S x51. A 987 has no chance compared to a 997 4S X51.

AM

On the start/finish straight it should be no problem to pass a 997s x51 with a 997TT... Also, in the Parabolica it should be doable

No way:

1. the 997 4S X51 had to be in front of 997 tt
    2. the 997 4S X51 driver doesn't make any mistake
    3. the 997 4S X51 stays on the left part

then and the end of the start/finish straight the turbo has passed the 997 4S and will be in for about 1 car. But then both have to break, both have street tires. The turbo will run out of the track, while the 997 4S can take the turn. This will happen all the time. The 997 4S X51 with LSD will have a slight advantage in every turn, the car can break little later and accelerate little earlier then the turbo. The turbo gains much on straight line.

AM

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    mumbasic said:

AM

No way:

1. the 997 4S X51 had to be in front of 997 tt
    2. the 997 4S X51 driver doesn't make any mistake
    3. the 997 4S X51 stays on the left part

then and the end of the start/finish straight the turbo has passed the 997 4S and will be in for about 1 car. But then both have to break, both have street tires. The turbo will run out of the track, while the 997 4S can take the turn. This will happen all the time. The 997 4S X51 with LSD will have a slight advantage in every turn, the car can break little later and accelerate little earlier then the turbo. The turbo gains much on straight line.

AM

If you are ahead by 1 car length you have made it...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753243 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430795 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258628 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255490 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79536 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868387 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801971 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM