Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

People's tolerance towards sports cars

Some owners are dorks, but then some pedestrians are dorks as well Smiley

Re: People's tolerance towards sports cars

Duh mail

Seemed to be a disproportionate number of douchbags driving Lambos there

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Arrived at a local restaurant to have lunch with a few friends, tables were outside, we had a nice and sunny weather today in Bavaria. I downshifted from third gear into second before arriving in front of the parking lot. Nothing fancy, didn't play with the throttle, nothing out of the ordinary. While walking towards my friends, a young woman made a "vroom vroom" sound and her friends started grinning towards me. After I sat down at my table, my friends told me that a red Huracan Spyder has been driving the main road up and down a couple of times, letting the exhaust pop loudly, annoying many people at the outdoor tables.

Such morons are doing sportscars drivers a huge "favor" and I'm not sure only Lambo drivers are to blame. While I was having lunch, a Mercedes AMG and a Porsche GT3 RS drove by in a similar fashion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

There are a lot of guys who rev their engines in parking lots and while stopped at traffic lights.  Obvious problem.

RC,

What I did not realize until more recently with respect to my GT4 is how much louder the car is on the outside than it is on the inside, especially with the windows rolled up.  This is probably the issue you experienced, even though you were driving normally.  Also, sports cars are just plain louder than normal cars even when driving around normally.  Sounds aggressive to the average onlooker.  You have noted this before as well.

vantagesc:

There are a lot of guys who rev their engines in parking lots and while stopped at traffic lights.  Obvious problem.

RC,

What I did not realize until more recently with respect to my GT4 is how much louder the car is on the outside than it is on the inside, especially with the windows rolled up.  This is probably the issue you experienced, even though you were driving normally.  Also, sports cars are just plain louder than normal cars even when driving around normally.  Sounds aggressive to the average onlooker.  You have noted this before as well.

My R8 is very loud outside, even at lower rpm figures but the sound isn't unpleasant, it is more of a trumpet sound than your typical racer sound. Only when you rev the car over 4000 rpm, the sound becomes very aggressive.

The general problem seems to be that many people connect the loudness of a car with...speed. So loud car...fast speed.  This is a serious issue for me, especially here in Germany inside cities. Of course I could turn off the sport exhaust but to be honest, I don't want to. What for? I did nothing wrong. 

Just yesterday, we had a holiday in most of Bavaria and very warm and sunny weather, people on the roads were just nuts. Drivers, bicycle riders, pedestrians, just nuts, don't know why, maybe because of the weather, maybe because it was a holiday day in the middle of the week, I don't  have a clue but I had to endure so much aggressiveness towards my car, it was unbelievable. However, it wasn't only related to my R8. It happened in the Cayenne as well when I drove with my kids to a restaurant, it happened to my wife in the 911 Cab when she drove with a friend to the same restaurant, it happened to her friend's husband when he also drove to the restaurant and it happened to a couple of other people I talked to later on that day, so something was definitely "in the air" (as my wife tends to say). Smiley

I am a calm person but yesterday, I almost got out of the car and started a fight with an older guy (he was around 65 in a bicycle outfit on a race bike) on his bicycle. Why? Well: A car in front of me stopped in the middle(!) of the road. I had to take a left into a side road, so I waited for him to make his decision. When I saw that the car didn't move, I took it to the left into that side road when the car suddenly started going to the left without using the blinker. I honked. Once. Short honk. There was that older bicycle rider on the left waiting to enter the main road. He flipped me the bird. I stopped, rolled down the window and asked why he did that. That guy started shouting at me why I am honking. I told him that I honked because of that car in front of me and he said "you aren't supposed to honk, you idiot." No kidding. When I heard the word "idiot", I wanted to get out of my car but luckily, my daughter stopped me ("not worth it"). I was so furious because I did nothing wrong. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

Just yesterday, we had a holiday in most of Bavaria and very warm and sunny weather, people on the roads were just nuts. Drivers, bicycle riders, pedestrians, just nuts, don't know why, maybe because of the weather, maybe because it was a holiday day in the middle of the week, I don't  have a clue but I had to endure so much aggressiveness towards my car, it was unbelievable. However, it wasn't only related to my R8. It happened in the Cayenne as well when I drove with my kids to a restaurant, it happened to my wife in the 911 Cab when she drove with a friend to the same restaurant, it happened to her friend's husband when he also drove to the restaurant and it happened to a couple of other people I talked to later on that day, so something was definitely "in the air" (as my wife tends to say). Smiley

That is nuts, WTF? Smiley

I am a calm person but yesterday, I almost got out of the car and started a fight with an older guy (he was around 65 in a bicycle outfit on a race bike) on his bicycle. Why? Well: A car in front of me stopped in the middle(!) of the road. I had to take a left into a side road, so I waited for him to make his decision. When I saw that the car didn't move, I took it to the left into that side road when the car suddenly started going to the left without using the blinker. I honked. Once. Short honk. There was that older bicycle rider on the left waiting to enter the main road. He flipped me the bird. I stopped, rolled down the window and asked why he did that. That guy started shouting at me why I am honking. I told him that I honked because of that car in front of me and he said "you aren't supposed to honk, you idiot." No kidding. When I heard the word "idiot", I wanted to get out of my car but luckily, my daughter stopped me ("not worth it"). I was so furious because I did nothing wrong. Smiley 

Just try to remember in situations like those that you have more to loose than a "loser" no matter the outcome.

I,friendly chap that I am, would have not resisted however to lower the window and ask him if he got lost in that outfit, that the Tour of France was a month ago. Then proceeded to worry about his health an well-being and advice him that riding bicycles with those seats at his age is not recommended for his erectile dysfunction, which I gather is the reason for his cranky irritable mood, and that you could help him with that since you have a Pharmacy. Then kindly wish him a nice day and wave him goodbye with a quick honk-honk salute as you drive away... but that is just me, I'm just all love with people like that  amiguitos.gif Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Christian should be thanking his girl, Carlos.. indecision....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

The only irritant in traffic for me are people who don't signal.  It is dangerous, thoughtless and shows zero respect for the lives around you. I always honk regardless of who is driving. 95% of the time the idiot does not get it and flips me off as though I did something wrong. They likely think I am road raging rather than trying to save lives around them. 😎

Why did you downshift as you pulled up to the restaurant? The car does that for you quietly.

noone1:

Why did you downshift as you pulled up to the restaurant? The car does that for you quietly.

I shift manually and downshifting is part of the fun (or does a manual transmission downshift by itself? Smiley) but the sound isn't that loud when I downshift, it may have "popped" once though. Of course the people in the restaurant heard it (I assume) but I didn't rev the car or accelerate or whatever. The parking lot is right outside of the terrace of the restaurant, so you can actually hear every single noise coming from cars parked there.

There is a general "vibe" against certain type of cars but luckily, the R8 still receives less negativity than other sports cars. 

--

RC:

Arrived at a local restaurant to have lunch with a few friends, tables were outside, we had a nice and sunny weather today in Bavaria. I downshifted from third gear into second before arriving in front of the parking lot. Nothing fancy, didn't play with the throttle, nothing out of the ordinary. While walking towards my friends, a young woman made a "vroom vroom" sound and her friends started grinning towards me. After I sat down at my table, my friends told me that a red Huracan Spyder has been driving the main road up and down a couple of times, letting the exhaust pop loudly, annoying many people at the outdoor tables.

Such morons are doing sportscars drivers a huge "favor" and I'm not sure only Lambo drivers are to blame. While I was having lunch, a Mercedes AMG and a Porsche GT3 RS drove by in a similar fashion.

I think you have to visit the famous Maximilian- or Leopoldstraße in Munich. There a lot of these idiots who are driving their sportcars (and also motorcycles) up and down the street several times to get attention. Maybe they make carspotters happy but people who live and work there are just annoyed. Yesterday one 430 Scuderia driver turned left on a intersection with high speed in a drift. Very stupid!

Sir_Ferrari:
    RC:

I think you have to visit the famous Maximilian- or Leopoldstraße in Munich. There a lot of these idiots who are driving their sportcars (and also motorcycles) up and down the street several times to get attention. Maybe they make carspotters happy but people who live and work there are just annoyed. Yesterday one 430 Scuderia driver turned left on a intersection with high speed in a drift. Very stupid!

I know this part of Munich well and you are right, sometimes it gets very annoying. Don't get me wrong, I love this kind of stuff at car meets outside the city and far away from the general public but in public and especially in locations with lots of people who don't give a sh.t about sportscars? Not a good idea. This only raises awareness of "loud" and "noisy" sportscars and creates a negative atmosphere, which will sooner or later result in a firm opposition to sportscars. It has already started...

Another incident from yesterday: Came back from Lake Ammer with my wife, accelerated firmly on a country road (speed limit 100 kph, I was doing maybe 90 or so) and then came an intersection with a red light and a speed limit sign of 60. There is an "exit" from this road before the stop light and there is no speed limit but the traffic coming from the other side has priority. So I stopped at the stop sign (exiting the main road) and a driver coming from the other side (he had the way) showed me the bird. At the next stop light, I was behind him, he went out of his car and approached my window. "Are you nuts" he shouted and I didn't understand what he meant. Then he explained that I almost hit him when I approached the road he was driving in. I tried to explain that I was far away from hitting him, I just approached fast and stopped in time (he was actually at least 10 meters away from me, when I came to a full stop). He didn't care, he thought I didn't see him and did an emergency stop. Smiley I didn't bother to talk to him anymore and closed my window, of course keeping a close eye on what he is doing (we have crazy people in Germany as well...).

This reminds me of the time I did some drifting on a closed road (it was closed for construction but the main part was still accessible and OK) with one of my wife's friends. She wanted to ride in the R8 (actually she begged my wife) because she has never driven in a sportscar before. I did her the favor and my wife told me to scare her. Smiley I did a good job but since that time, this particular friend of hers tells people that I am driving like a nut job and that I shouldn't have a driver's license. Whenever we meet, it ends in a similar discussion and while I have no points on my license, no accidents and my wife explained her many times, no chance...she just doesn't "grasp" that certain cars in the hands of an experienced driver behave differently and can do "crazy" (to them) stuff than your usual standard car daily driver. 

It is all about perception and I started to drive much differently inside city limits and with friends, especially if they don't like cars too much. Giving sportscars drivers a bad reputation is the worst thing which can happen.

YouTube videos often show how moronic some drivers can be and why sportscars won't have a future in our society if people continue to be that dumb. If you have to be an idiot, try to be one outside populated areas.

--

People can totally drive recklessly and still respect speed limits. Normal drivers will not expect you to stop hard, change lanes fast or floor the var at a red light. As such you can be respecting every law made yet be a danger to others.

SciFrog:

People can totally drive recklessly and still respect speed limits. Normal drivers will not expect you to stop hard, change lanes fast or floor the var at a red light. As such you can be respecting every law made yet be a danger to others.

I didn't stop hard right in front of him, he was still around 10 meters away, I could have easily entered the street but I didn't want to scare him (thus...not driving recklessly Smiley). I also do not change lanes without using the turn signal (90% of the drivers out there do not use the turn signal), so everyone knows what to expect.

I am obliged to respect the law (not only the speed limit) and if drivers are easily scared, not my problem.

There was one case of a Mercedes test driver who approached another car in front of him at over 300 kph and didn't seem to brake, so the other driver got scared and lost control of the car. This is a different story. I do not do that either because I know how easily scared people are on the road. Same goes to "cutting" lanes, I don't do that either because people could be scared (and it is not a nice thing to do).

You cannot drive totally reckless and respect traffic laws. This is impossible.

--

kiss

SciFrog:

kiss

I am not perfect when I drive but I try to look out for others on the road because this not only protects me but also avoids situations where it could come to a close call or even an accident and I just don't need this crap. 

Or maybe I just got old and became a pussy. Smiley Smiley

Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763072 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435689 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257689 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872596 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808036 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM