Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Acceleration Data Audi A8 W12

Although I don't know whether anybody is interested at all ...
    ...I will post some test results of the Audi A8 W12 (short wheel base). The test was done with a regular production car (my own car ) on a German AB this afternoon.

The results of my test are:

0-100: 5.1s (factory claim)
    0-200: ca. 16.5s
    0-250: ca. 33.0s (vs. 21s for 997TT )

Given the car's weight and character as a luxurious limousine the figures are not that bad

Re: Acceleration Data Audi A8 W12

Very good results! How many km's on your A8 W12?
    19" or 20"?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Very good results! How many km's on your A8 W12?
    19" or 20"?

27.000km as per now. 19" tires.

Best regards, Markus

0-100 and 0-200 time is really impressive to move such a heavy car from stand.
    Btw Marcus what is the major difference between A8 W12 vs S8
    The performance seems similar

Quote:
    VGA18 said:
    0-100 and 0-200 time is really impressive to move such a heavy car from stand.
    Btw Marcus what is the major difference between A8 W12 vs S8
    The performance seems similar

I had the opportunity to test the S8 on the NBRGP track this fall.

The major difference between S8 and W12 seems to be the engine sound. While the W12 has sort of a silky sound texture, the S8 produces a typcial "big block" sound (i.e. sounds not that smooth, pretty agressive).

Performance, handling etc. are close to 100% comparable (please note that I am comparing S8 and W12 SWB here, thus the W12 with AAS sport).

In the end the decision between the two cars is a matter of taste. Differences are rather marginal.

BTW: In Germany the S8 is several kEuro cheaper than the W12. That might also have an impact on the decision

And "Laufkultur" between V10 and W12?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

I would prefer W12 definitely!

A8 is the car to get in the luxury class, far better than 7series and even more desirable than the new S-class IMO.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Personally, I prefer the smoothness of the W12... The W12 is a terrific engine

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

I would prefer W12 definately!

A8 is the car to get in the luxury class, far better than 7series and even more desirable than the new S-class IMO.

I agree 100%.

Things might be different if the S65 / CL65 would be available with AWD. In the meantime: no true competitor to the W12 with SWB (includes AAS sport and a shorter gearing to improve acceleration performance)

impressing data for such a big car.. but markus , what the fuel monthly budget for such a car in germany per month?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    ...I will post some test results of the Audi A8 W12 (short wheel base). The test was done with a regular production car (my own car ) on a German AB this afternoon.

Given the car's weight and character as a luxurious limousine the figures are not that bad

Are these w/winter tires? Any guess on what diffce is btwn winter and summer tires in terms of accel times?
    Would be curious what are 60-100 and 100-200kph times, esp vs S550 4Matic .....personally, find easily deployable elasticity of any car (while one is on speakerphone; in wrong gear; late for a mtg; and navigating gaps in dense urban fwy/AB traffic) far more relevant to real world than 0-xxx times, esp w/commuter cars....

Would also be curious how those in more inclement climates than CA find A8 W12 vs S550 4Matic in terms of active/passive safety, esp traction, wet weather braking, emgcy evasive handling at high speeds and latest-tech passive safety systems (i.e., how seemingly advcd and confidence-inspiring are MB's latest safety systems vs Audi's?) ....after all, sedans are more about safety than are "passionate", more wkend and fair-weather-oriented cars like 599, right????

Interesting mkt diffces btwn Germany and US, MKSGR....

For past yr have been intrigued by A8 W12 (based upon your comments on forum)....my local SF P/Audi dealer hasn't had a copy available for test drive (and I'm a major P buyer at this dealer); none of my colleagues in SF has ever driven an Audi (but many of these same guys have never really driven a P either; they are major repeat F/MB buyers)....

And when asking colleagues in Greenwich (where they actually need winter tires and such nonsense ), the car-oriented guys seem to have used CayTurbos over past 2-3 winters....and are now migrating to S550 4Matic for winter duty .....so am curious if Audi is failing in major US mkts (based upon Audi's notably weak $100K+ sales vols, lease terms, resale values and repeat cust base in Greenwich/SF, etc) b/c of unremarkable technical/engineering qualities (safety/reliability/comfort/performance) or simply poor marketing/dealer network/brand loyalty in major US mkts.....

Was looking to get a A8 W12 last year, but they don't bring them into the country

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    impressing data for such a big car.. but markus , what the fuel monthly budget for such a car in germany per month?

Not as big as one might expect: My average fuel consumption is close to 17 l/100km

P.S.: A liter of SuperPlus (98 octane) is around 1.35 Euro in Germany right now

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Are these w/winter tires? Any guess on what diffce is btwn winter and summer tires in terms of accel times?
    Would be curious what are 60-100 and 100-200kph times, esp vs S550 4Matic .....personally, find easily deployable elasticity of any car (while one is on speakerphone; in wrong gear; late for a mtg; and navigating gaps in dense urban fwy/AB traffic) far more relevant to real world than 0-xxx times, esp w/commuter cars....

Would also be curious how those in more inclement climates than CA find A8 W12 vs S550 4Matic in terms of active/passive safety, esp traction, wet weather braking, emgcy evasive handling at high speeds and latest-tech passive safety systems (i.e., how seemingly advcd and confidence-inspiring are MB's latest safety systems vs Audi's?) ....after all, sedans are more about safety than are "passionate", more wkend and fair-weather-oriented cars like 599, right????

The test was done on winter tires. However, they are the same size as my summer tires, thus I would not expect different results on summer tires.

The S550 is slightly slower. Interestingly, the S63 / CL63 should not be faster either, given the latest test results in the German press. Mercedes should really offer AWD for their CL65 / S65. Until then the Audi is the fastest AWD luxury limousine available on the market.

Even better the car has very similar acceleration in the dry and wet. Just press the accelerator and the car shoots like hell

I will always go for AWD in this car segment in the future.

In general, the S-Mercedes should be the more comfortable car. The W12 SWB has a pretty sporty suspension setup. Tough ride - but remarkable handling for such a big car. In combination with CCB brakes, AWD, the excellent throttle response, very good steering and other goodies (I am thinking of the excellent B&O sound system) the W12 is a remarkable achievment of engineering

In terms of safety standards I would not see a major advantage for the S class. Passive safety should be close to identical. The S class, however, does have this new pre-crash feature. That should be the only major difference between the two cars

Quote:
    VKSF said:

For past yr have been intrigued by A8 W12 (based upon your comments on forum)....my local SF P/Audi dealer hasn't had a copy available for test drive (and I'm a major P buyer at this dealer); none of my colleagues in SF has ever driven an Audi (but many of these same guys have never really driven a P either; they are major repeat F/MB buyers)....

And when asking colleagues in Greenwich (where they actually need winter tires and such nonsense ), the car-oriented guys seem to have used CayTurbos over past 2-3 winters....and are now migrating to S550 4Matic for winter duty .....so am curious if Audi is failing in major US mkts (based upon Audi's notably weak $100K+ sales vols, lease terms, resale values and repeat cust base in Greenwich/SF, etc) b/c of unremarkable technical/engineering qualities (safety/reliability/comfort/performance) or simply poor marketing/dealer network/brand loyalty in major US mkts.....

You could be the first A8 W12 customer in the States then

And subsequently influence your colleagues to buy the car as well...

I would be very interested in your driving impressions of the car. Something tells me that would like it very much Maybe your dealer can organize a test car at some point in the future. Of course, I could also offer you a test drive in Germany

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Was looking to get a A8 W12 last year, but they don't bring them into the country

That's unfortunate. Did they say why

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

The test was done on winter tires. However, they are the same size as my summer tires, thus I would not expect different results on summer tires.

The S550 is slightly slower. Interestingly, the S63 / CL63 should not be faster either, given the latest test results in the German press. Mercedes should really offer AWD for their CL65 / S65. Until then the Audi is the fastest AWD luxury limousine available on the market.

Even better the car has very similar acceleration in the dry and wet. Just press the accelerator and the car shoots like hell

I will always go for AWD in this car segment in the future.

In general, the S-Mercedes should be the more comfortable car. The W12 SWB has a pretty sporty suspension setup. Tough ride - but remarkable handling for such a big car. In combination with CCB brakes, AWD, the excellent throttle response, very good steering and other goodies (I am thinking of the excellent B&O sound system) the W12 is a remarkable achievment of engineering

In terms of safety standards I would not see a major advantage for the S class. Passive safety should be close to identical. The S class, however, does have this new pre-crash feature. That should be the only major difference between the two cars

Not to mention superior fit and finish for the Audi...

Actually, my gut feeling tells me that the new S-class has a similar - if not slightly better - finish / material selection than the A8. Mercedes has improved quality strandards quite a lot in case of the new S-class

Anyone has CTT 0-200 and 0-250 numbers handy?

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    0-100km/h: 5.3s
    0-160km/h:12.1s
    0-200km/h:19.2s

Here is the figures above comparison test betwwen CTTS and ML63. Couldnt find CTT yet

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

Not as big as one might expect: My average fuel consumption is close to 17 l/100km

P.S.: A liter of SuperPlus (98 octane) is around 1.35 Euro
    in Germany right now

1.35 euro...wow... i was in saudi arabia last week, and the price of super 98 octane amazed me... 0.12 euro per liter

Guys nobody can pass our prices.

1 liter 100 octane gas about 1.8 Euro
    1 Liter 97 octane gas about 1.67 Euro
    1 Liter of Eurodiesel about 1.23 Euro

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Anyone has CTT 0-200 and 0-250 numbers handy?

Just for the ML63 AMG (from recent AutoZeitung test):

0-100: 4.9s
    0-200: 16.8s

The ML63 seems to have all his 510hp Same acceleration performance up to 200kph despite a weight of 2.4t...

Of course, above 200kph SUVs will suffer badly from their poor aerodynamical qualities.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

in Germany right now

1.35 euro...wow... i was in saudi arabia last week, and the price of super 98 octane amazed me... 0.12 euro per liter

It won't be long before it pays off to drive ones car all the way down to Saudi Arabia just to fuel it up

Quote:
    VGA18 said:
    Guys nobody can pass our prices.

1 liter 100 octane gas about 1.8 Euro
    1 Liter 97 octane gas about 1.67 Euro
    1 Liter of Eurodiesel about 1.23 Euro

What a bargain

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

in Germany right now

It won't be long before it pays off to drive ones car all the way down to Saudi Arabia just to fuel it up

If you take a trailer with a huge gas tank fitted along with you, it already pays off .

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

You could be the first A8 W12 customer in the States then

And subsequently influence your colleagues to buy the car as well...

I would be very interested in your driving impressions of the car. Something tells me that would like it very much Maybe your dealer can organize a test car at some point in the future. Of course, I could also offer you a test drive in Germany

Will always value your views on cars, MKSGR

Just learned that no A8 W12 SWB in US mkt, sort of like no S63 SWB in US mkt....

Am intrigued by how poor dealer networks/relationships w/major repeat buyers can influence potential buyers....know several 30-40yoish buyers in SF/Greenwich who have already become habitual, every 6-12 mos buyers of new, latest/greatest MB/F....but many don't consider P very closely...and Audi/BMW/Lex are not really viable options for various reasons....once one has strong relationships w/local dealer/particular salesguy/svc mgr, it's prob hard for another brand to gain mkt share unless mfr tries to "reach out" to these jaded custs.....

Will keep pestering my P/Audi dealer for test drive of A8 W12 LWB/S8.....and I need at least a 50-100 mi test drive on my favorite fwys/mtn twisties to draw any prelim conclusions....but I suspect your test drive in Germany will be more insightful in some ways...though CA has interesting, sometimes bumpy, hilly, curvy, narrow-laned, dense 80MPH-flow urban fwys w/various ineptly-driven SUVs to challenge one's ability to drive both quickly and safely.....

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Actually, my gut feeling tells me that the new S-class has a similar - if not slightly better - finish / material selection than the A8. Mercedes has improved quality strandards quite a lot in case of the new S-class

Absolutely agree....

In past 12 mos, have had new S550, SL65, CL550 and CL600....drove each anywhere from 1K-5K mis before trade-in (curr have CL600)...would observe fit/finish/elegance of design/ergonomics are absolutely best in world today....and not even one glitch/technical flaw/reliability issue (despite bleeding-edge tech, esp in CL and S-Class)....and have various colleagues who are also jaded, every 6-12 mos buyers of new MB/F who share similar experiences....

BTW, our EU pals may be amused that it's more difficult for jaded F/MB buyers in SF/Greenwich to get an early CL63 (or S63) w/030 than it was to get an early, @MSRP 599....my MB dealer is same dealer that many of the early 599 guys on SF Peninsula use...and F was able to send 3-4 599s in first batch to FoSF, but MB is only able to send one CL63 (Apr build) to the key SF Peninsula MB dealer.....w/uncertainty re: availabilty of 030 in early builds (?shortage of bespoke-spec 20" tires and ltwt wheels) and no sense of when this dealer will get next CL63...or how many copies in next build cycle....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Will always value your views on cars, MKSGR

Just learned that no A8 W12 SWB in US mkt, sort of like no S63 SWB in US mkt....

Am intrigued by how poor dealer networks/relationships w/major repeat buyers can influence potential buyers....know several 30-40yoish buyers in SF/Greenwich who have already become habitual, every 6-12 mos buyers of new, latest/greatest MB/F....but many don't consider P very closely...and Audi/BMW/Lex are not really viable options for various reasons....once one has strong relationships w/local dealer/particular salesguy/svc mgr, it's prob hard for another brand to gain mkt share unless mfr tries to "reach out" to these jaded custs.....

Will keep pestering my P/Audi dealer for test drive of A8 W12 LWB/S8.....and I need at least a 50-100 mi test drive on my favorite fwys/mtn twisties to draw any prelim conclusions....but I suspect your test drive in Germany will be more insightful in some ways...though CA has interesting, sometimes bumpy, hilly, curvy, narrow-laned, dense 80MPH-flow urban fwys w/various ineptly-driven SUVs to challenge one's ability to drive both quickly and safely.....

It's a pitty they don't sell the (sporty) SWB version in the States. Did not know that...

Good luck (regarding W12 A8L) with your Audi dealer then

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689846 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409377 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65562 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858133 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774233 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM