Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 964 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design

the red on the Singer is just superb

What a car, love it

Just stunning 

Great write-up! Thanks for sharing with us your first hand experience with such a piece of art.

Wow

elegant brute

adore the color

Your singer posts are some of the best RT content I've seen in ten years. thank you.

mcdelaug:

Your singer posts are some of the best RT content I've seen in ten years. thank you.

+1 Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

mcdelaug:

Thanks  - very kind of you to say so Smiley.

Your car is absolutely gorgeous !  Perfect shape and parts . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

4.0 Litre, 500hp, 9,000+ RPM Redline, made with Cosworth with Mezger onboard as consultant.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Very pretty, that exhaust is going to be LOUD !

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

FROM TOP GEAR MAG

It would seem that Singer has been busy with the collaborative networking, and has teamed up with Williams - a company famed for its Formula One expertise - to produce a new engine for serial Singer client Scott Blattner.

Not only that, but the new motor has had a little help from none other than Hans Mezger, the ‘father of the flat-six’. Which means it has a roll-call of industry excellence behind it before it even sets fire to any fuel. But here’s the good bit, and engineers and petrolheads might want to have a little sit-down:

Based on Mezger’s own flat-six 3.6-litre motor from a 1990 Porsche 911, the new engine is pulled out to 4.0-litres and has a basic 500bhp with four-valve cylinder heads and four cams, titanium con-rods, better oil circulation, aluminium throttle bodies, upper and lower injectors, an inconel/titanium - the stuff they use in F1 - exhaust system, carbonfibre intake trumpets and a carbon air box with a resonator chamber to increase mid-range torque, ram-air induction, and a 9,000rpm redline.

Yep, that’s a 500bhp Mezger flat-six with a 9k redline. Which really deserves only one reaction. Oooooof.

Obviously there’s been lots of component-lightening and use of exotic materials, because… well…because Singer. And though it’s not the prettiest Singerised six in the world, looking more like a droid from Star Wars with that big fan on the back (that’ll be the optimised cooling, then), it does look incredibly well executed. And I’ll just say this again: 500bhp n/a and 9k.

Apparently the new motor is set to drop into Blattner’s 1990 911, no doubt re-engineered to suit by Singer to sit next to his pair of Singer-modified Coupes. And his Targa - which you may have seen it at Goodwood Festival of Speed this year. It turns out you can really dislike someone having never even met them.

Rob Dickinson, boss and founder of Singer, did the usual PR bit by saying: “Helping our clients realise their unique vision for a reimagined Porsche 911 with the help of automotive royalty is very much a privilege. Singer is delighted to be working with Williams Advanced Engineering and Hans Mezger to offer our clients a “next level” of restoration and modification services for their Porsche 911s.” 

But buried in the press release is also a bit that says that the “full culmination of this exciting work with Williams and other technical partners will be revealed shortly and will represent a stand-alone selection of restoration and modification services strongly oriented toward light-weighting and dynamic gains”.

Which hints that a) this engine probably isn’t a one-off and b) other stuff is probably coming. And the engineering behind it is going to be pretty damn fine.

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

Yes, it will be Scott's 4th Singer.

--

Mithras:

4.0 Litre, 500hp, 9,000+ RPM Redline, made with Cosworth with Mezger onboard as consultant.

Are you sure Cosworth is involved?  Singer and Cosworth divorced from each other years ago (in favor of Ed Pink Racing).  I think Williams is involved, but not so sure about Cosworth...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Singer Vehicle Design Announces Collaboration With Williams On High Performance And Light-Weighting Services

The Porsche 911 engine presented here is part of a stand-alone selection of restoration and modification services strongly oriented towards light-weighting and dynamic gains.

- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -

LOS ANGELES, August 8, 2017 – Singer Vehicle Design announces details of a new level of restoration and modification services commissioned by three of its clients for their air-cooled Porsche 911s. To meet the high-performance and light-weighting goals required for the restorations, Singer has undertaken a performance research study with Williams Advanced Engineering, part of Williams Grand Prix Engineering Group, and engaged the celebrated motorsports concern to engineer technical modifications and components for these restored and reimagined Porsche 911s.

The first fruit of this work is a modified, naturally aspirated, air-cooled, flat-six Porsche 911 engine with a 4.0L capacity, four-valves per cylinder and four cam-shafts, rated at 500HP.

The engine benefits from the additional insight and vast experience of famed engine designer and engineer, Hans Mezger, who is a technical consultant to the project.

The engine will power a 1990 Porsche 911 currently being restored for long-term Singer client, Scott Blattner.

The full spectrum of the enhancements provided by Williams Advanced Engineering and other technical partners will be unveiled in Scott’s restored, reimagined and reborn Porsche 911 in September.

Beginning with the Mezger-designed Porsche 3.6L engine from the 1990 911, the resulting specification is as follows:

• 500HP
    • Four-valve cylinder heads
    • Engine speed range extended beyond 9,000 rpm
    • Dual-oil circuits
    • Cylinders and pistons with titanium con-rods
    • Aluminum throttle bodies with carbon fiber trumpets
    • Upper and lower injectors for improved performance
    • A carbon fiber air-box with active multi-stage resonator chamber for mid-range torque optimization
    • Inconel and titanium exhaust system optimized for thermal performance
    • CFD optimized and enlarged engine cooling fan
    • Ram air induction system with pressure recovery in intake plenums
    • Lightweight materials, including titanium, magnesium and carbon fiber are used extensively to reduce component mass and vehicle weight.

As ever, Singer’s work is motivated by the desire to understand the perspectives and requirements of its clients and to present them uniquely personal restoration and modification services – always guided by the philosophy:  Everything is Important.

Rob Dickinson, Founder of Singer Vehicle Design, explained:

“Helping our clients realize their unique vision for a reimagined Porsche 911 with the help of automotive royalty is very much a privilege. Singer is delighted to be working with Williams Advanced Engineering and Hans Mezger to offer our clients a “next level” of restoration and modification services for their Porsche 911s.  With careful and dedicated development, this iconic air-cooled engine has much to give both its existing devotees and a generation of new enthusiasts.”

Dickinson stated that the full culmination of this exciting work with Williams and other technical partners will be revealed shortly and will represent a stand-alone selection of restoration and modification services strongly oriented towards light-weighting and dynamic gains.

Jonathan Williams, Williams Heritage Director, noted further:

“The Porsche 911 has long been a standard bearer in the worlds of racing and advanced engineering – two things that we care deeply about at Williams. As an admirer of the 911, I’m thrilled that we’re working with Singer and its clients on these restorations.”

Singer client and commissioning owner, Scott Blattner, provided additional context saying:

“My journey with Singer Vehicle Design began with the restoration of two coupes. In 2016 these were joined by my Targa, which recently ran in the famous Hill Climb at Goodwood Festival of Speed. I became intrigued by the possibility of further evolution and I’m very excited to be sharing the first details of the engine for my car.”

Paul McNamara, Technical Director, Williams Advanced Engineering added:

“This has been a fantastic opportunity to showcase the core capabilities of Williams Advanced Engineering. Having had the opportunity to consult with Hans Mezger – the “father” of the iconic air-cooled flat-six – about the development of the engine, our team was pleased to be able to provide a solution to Singer’s clients’ requirements and of course, to be a part of this iconic vehicle’s continued evolution.”

About Singer Vehicle Design

Singer Vehicle Design (Singer) restores and reimagines 1989 to 1994 Porsche 911s for its clients.  Singer does not manufacture or sell automobiles.

Singer is not sponsored, associated, approved, endorsed nor, in any way, affiliated with Porsche Cars North America, Inc., or Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche, AG. The Porsche® name and crest and 911® are trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG, and any other products mentioned are the trademarks of their respective holders. Any mention of trademarked names or other marks is for purpose of reference only.

The product of Singer’s painstaking effort is a Porsche 911 restored and reimagined by Singer.  Out of respect for Porsche, and to respect Porsche’s trademark rights, this incredible machine should never under any circumstances be referred to or described as a “Singer,” “Singer 911,” “Singer Porsche 911” or a “Porsche Singer 911,” or in any other manner that suggests that it is anything but a Porsche 911.

About Williams Advanced Engineering

Williams Advanced Engineering is the division of the Williams Group that harnesses Formula One derived technology and know-how to deliver highly innovative products and services to the motorsport, automotive, defence and healthcare sectors. Working in close collaboration with its customers, Williams Advanced Engineering helps meet the sustainability challenges of the 21st century and improve performance, with its expertise in aerodynamics and thermodynamics, electrification, advanced lightweight materials and vehicle integration.

#     #     #

Image Gallery...

Singer Press Release: http://singervehicledesign.com/singer-vehicle-design-announces-collaboration-with-williams-on-high-performance-and-light-weighting-services/

...how do you like them apples? Smiley

Smiley Smiley Smiley

trully amazing 

Whoopsy....It's your time to have one kiss

this is not a Singer, but for the asking price the car looks stuning

http://www.sloancars.com/current-inventory/1990-porsche-964-rsr-tribute-white-touring-edition/

pgouveia:

this is not a Singer, but for the asking price the car looks stuning

http://www.sloancars.com/current-inventory/1990-porsche-964-rsr-tribute-white-touring-edition/

Don't know what the asking price is, but they look stunning!kiss

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Grant:
    Mithras:

Are you sure Cosworth is involved?  Singer and Cosworth divorced from each other years ago (in favor of Ed Pink Racing).  I think Williams is involved, but not so sure about Cosworth...

You are right - no Cosworth involvement. The engine collaboration is largely with Williams. 

Someone on Rennlist is claiming that a Singer with this engine specified is costing $1.6MM.  So, I guess this motor is a 7-figure option, unless the car has some other big upgrades...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

Someone on Rennlist is claiming that a Singer with this engine specified is costing $1.6MM.  So, I guess this motor is a 7-figure option, unless the car has some other big upgrades...

Indeed the engine is driving most of the cost but there will be other significant upgrades as well. They will go public soon. I will respect confidentiality in the meantime.

crayphile:
    Grant:
    Mithras:

You are right - no Cosworth involvement. The engine collaboration is largely with Williams. 

Yes, got my British engine consultants mixed up. Probably vestiges of the old Cosworth involvement in my head...

--

crayphile:
    Grant:

Indeed the engine is driving most of the cost but there will be other significant upgrades as well. They will go public soon. I will repeat confidentiality in the meantime.

If you look at the renderings it has a different body. Looks more like a 934 than a Singer. 

--

crayphile:
    Grant:

Indeed the engine is driving most of the cost but there will be other significant upgrades as well. They will go public soon. I will repeat confidentiality in the meantime.

So maybe the engine is a bargain at around $750k? Smiley

--

Grant:

It's my buddy's car and it's actually closer to 1.9................

--

Whoopsy:
    Grant:

You know anything about the non engine-related updates (chassis, etc.)?

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:
    Grant:

You know anything about the non engine-related updates (chassis, etc.)?

I haven't ask that yet

His wife didn't even know he is buying that car Smiley

--

150k for the Sloan car wink

Whoopsy:

I haven't ask that yet

His wife didn't even know he is buying that car Smiley

He will probably tell her that it is an old 911 that is worth not much and he got for it a bargain, as they raise in value , it is actually a great investment Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

I dont think he needs that type of excuse .....is wife help I'm to stay occupied 

http://www.vaultgarage.com/news/vault-designed-furnished-garage-in-minnesota-appears-in-robb-report/

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689958 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409447 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255840 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235074 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65586 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858196 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774313 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM