Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

I'm a total newbie, but I've got a request/question about the new six-speed manual gearbox: has anyone ever seen a photo of the actual internals (gears, shafts, etc.) of the transmission? I cannot find one anywhere!

rhino:

black looks greatkiss

Sure does SmileySmiley

Of course it is ..... with good combination of detailer and special coatings ... and many washes .....

Problem is that black is fantastic as long as nobody put their fingers on it :-) SmileyNewphoto.jpg

--

997 Carrera S Triple Black Sold now ... Good car 997 GT3 triple black wow what a car !!!

Whoopsy:

You all can thank Eduardo for the newly jacked ups prices.

There are more requests now thanks to his guide and Porsche found a new gold mine for charging people. Plus with the PTS process it creates a disruption on the production cycle despite what he claimed otherwise.

Isn't that a bit of a personal crusade? Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

thierry:

Of course it is ..... with good combination of detailer and special coatings ... and many washes .....

Problem is that black is fantastic as long as nobody put their fingers on it :-) SmileyNewphoto.jpg

Woah, that looks stunning Thierry!
    BTW, you'll need to update your signature now! Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Porker:
    Whoopsy:

There are more requests now thanks to his guide and Porsche found a new gold mine for charging people. Plus with the PTS process it creates a disruption on the production cycle despite what he claimed otherwise.

My thoughts exactly Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Whoopsy:
    nberry:
    Whoopsy:

Nick, I think you're giving more credit than he is due.

When PTS was around $4000 the dealers were up in arms regarding the ordering process and the lack of certainty. The executive committee for US dealers recommended that the price be raised significantly to $10,000. In response Porsche raised it $6900. At a meeting earlier this year the committee raised the issue of PTS yet again and complained it was too much of a hassle for them to process the PTS orders. They recommended raising the price to $15,000 which would discourage buyers from ordering PTS and  provide space for those that were truly interest in PTS and willing to pay for it. In response Porsche raised it close to $13,000.Smiley

FWIW, I was considering the .2GT3RS and ordering PTS. Now that they raised the price for PTS, I probably will pass on the RS. Smiley

Actually while he and I don't see eye to eye, I have great respect for him decoding something Porsche. doesn't want to be decoded.

The process IS designed to be such a mess in the first place, that's why it was relatively 'cheap'. Not many can decode the whole process and order PTS.

Now that Eduardo has decoded the process, and everyone and their mothers are ordering PTS, it makes PTS less special now. The only way to discourage the masses and regain the exclusiveness of PTS is to raise the price.

Members on Rennlist all wanted PTS cause of the perceived 'investment' value of a PTS car, most of them are in it for the money only.

Remember the old days when Exclusive can do just about anything? The sky is the limit and also the size of the wallet. They had cranked out some truly bespoke cars for special clients that insist on ordering something that's exactly what they had wanted. Porsche wants to returning to that root with PTS, only painting cars for clients that really wanted something unique, not regular Joe that just wanted PTS for investment. 

I can't speak for Rennlist members, but I assume that like me, many want PTS simply because they wish to have a color they actually LIKE when forking out a substantial amount on the car of their dreams. The standard offerings from Porsche are pretty limited, which I assume is the main reason people want to pay extra to get their color of choice. If PTS means added value in resale, all the better for it, but I don't believe that's what motivates people to get it. At least not over here.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

bluelines:
    Porker:
    Whoopsy:

Nick probably has his reasons... Smiley Like Porker has with me. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

PTS - a good client of mine is Clariant the world market leader for car colors. 

Guess how much cost difference it makes per car between the cheapest flat and the most expensive Pearl-Color? It is just 18€ per car! And - in modern systems they can change the color during production from car to car. Interesting fact - the most expensive color is red. Why that - because of the rich amount of copper inside. 

12.000 for PTS - great job Porsche. Another way to rip off your clients!

Lars997:

Guess how much cost difference it makes per car between the cheapest flat and the most expensive Pearl-Color? It is just 18€ per car! And - in modern systems they can change the color during production from car to car. Interesting fact - the most expensive color is red. Why that - because of the rich amount of copper inside. 

This is a business opportunity. Nobody is forced to pay this amount of money and to be honest, I would rather have a perfect foil job done for 4k than a PTS for 12k. Sorry.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:

PTS went ballistic . I understand why Porsche is pushing the price . Probably also to have much less to do, as it is a pain for them to organise it .  But I am not happy about it of course .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Lars997:

One of my good friend is head of PPG Europe for the car paints ( they do Ferrari, Renault, BMW etc... )  He told me the same when I asked about prices and so . I can't remember the difference in price , but it was like 1 $ per litre and it takes only a few to paint one car . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

We had some discussion about PTS a while ago and if I recall correctly, the issue with PTS is that they need to spend a lot of effort in getting the color to hold up well. Also, I think there were some issues as well that paint behaves differently on plastic or on metal parts, so getting these colors to (durably) match up properly cost a lot of effort.

I am sure though that these efforts can be expensive, but definitely not $15k expensive.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

I went the PTS route because as Porker wrote the investment into a new 911 is quite substantial and the standard Porsche color palette is , in my opinion , very poor. I want to have a color I really like and not a compromise . Porsche has a history of beautiful colors , metallic and non metallic , but for some reason (I guess well researched and justified by Porsche marketing) not proposed in the standard offering .  All other premium producers will offer you a much wider color palette but not Porsche unless you go for a color to sample route (with all the related drawbacks).  

m4ever:

I went the PTS route because as Porker wrote the investment into a new 911 is quite substantial and the standard Porsche color palette is , in my opinion , very poor. I want to have a color I really like and not a compromise . Porsche has a history of beautiful colors , metallic and non metallic , but for some reason (I guess well researched and justified by Porsche marketing) not proposed in the standard offering .  All other premium producers will offer you a much wider color palette but not Porsche unless you go for a color to sample route (with all the related drawbacks).  

The Color makes the car - no doubt!

They dont offer nices colors as the cash cow is the color! So you have no other choice! Except - a wrap ;)

Wraps are pretty good nowadays...many people underestimate the quality and color accuracy.

--

You might be giving interesting ideas to Porsche to offer Wrap to Sample for half the price of Paint to Sample indecision

RC:

Wraps are pretty good nowadays...many people underestimate the quality and color accuracy.

Wraps have become very good, that's true. But, you lose a lot of the gloss of the paint if you wrap it. The reflections are blurry and not sharp anymore.

RC:

And now when you get a thick version of wrap, it protects the car from stone chips.  Normally, you need to pay for PTS as well as a clear bra to protect your expensive paint (particularly if you track much).  With a wrap, you pay just once (and can replace the wrap if needed, rather than paint the car again - gives an opportunity the change the color without harming the originality/value of the car).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Sorry, if you put a black .1 GT3 next to .2 GT3 it would be very difficult to distinguish them.

PTS problems are all Porsche fault. In an effort streamline production they significantly reduced color choices. I am surprised they haven't reduce it down to offering only black or white. Their philosophy is If you want some other color be prepared to pay and wait. 

FWIW, the US executive committee recommended to Porsche to increase painting booths and accommodate more requests. So far, they have declined to do so.

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Paint to Sample was supposed to be just that, customer sample painted to request.  Before there was Exclusive there was Special Wishes and in those days, as others have stated, customers with blank checks could specify to their hearts content and Porsche would make their wishes come true such as the street legal 935 in some special red color specified by the customer, or the white leather with purple piping 930s, etc. PTS became a bastardized version of itself when the Porsche standard color palette sharply contracted in the late 90s and early 2000s.  Colors like ruby star (stern rubin) and Riviera blue were among the standard offerings in the early 90s and historically a variety of colors were offered by Porsche that rendered PTS superfluous to all but the most exotic requests. As the number of customers tired of bland paint colors grew, Porsche turned PTS into an off the books collection of previously standard colors at a premium (although not exorbitant) price that may or may not be granted to the customer depending on a variety of largely unknown and unpredictable factors. The few numbers of customers that were alienated by the "don't go away mad, just go away" treatment were of neither financial nor public relations concern. Once that aspect changed and large numbers of customers were alienated by Porsche's capricious PTS policies (including VIP level customers) a new plan had to be devised that still kept the process under control, hence the cost has been increased to a level (Porsche hopes) where only the truly committed will continue to pursue the issue.  As the saying goes, nothing personal, just business.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

bluelines:
    Porker:
    Whoopsy:

See my other post, not really a personal crusade per se. Just what I got back from Porsche, they really don't like what he had done. They are swamped with PTS requests now.

You can see that at RL. 90% of the posts are about value, and about having a PTS car will keep it's value more.

--

Porker:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:
    Whoopsy:

Nick, I think you're giving more credit than he is due.

When PTS was around $4000 the dealers were up in arms regarding the ordering process and the lack of certainty. The executive committee for US dealers recommended that the price be raised significantly to $10,000. In response Porsche raised it $6900. At a meeting earlier this year the committee raised the issue of PTS yet again and complained it was too much of a hassle for them to process the PTS orders. They recommended raising the price to $15,000 which would discourage buyers from ordering PTS and  provide space for those that were truly interest in PTS and willing to pay for it. In response Porsche raised it close to $13,000.Smiley

FWIW, I was considering the .2GT3RS and ordering PTS. Now that they raised the price for PTS, I probably will pass on the RS. Smiley

Actually while he and I don't see eye to eye, I have great respect for him decoding something Porsche. doesn't want to be decoded.

The process IS designed to be such a mess in the first place, that's why it was relatively 'cheap'. Not many can decode the whole process and order PTS.

Now that Eduardo has decoded the process, and everyone and their mothers are ordering PTS, it makes PTS less special now. The only way to discourage the masses and regain the exclusiveness of PTS is to raise the price.

Members on Rennlist all wanted PTS cause of the perceived 'investment' value of a PTS car, most of them are in it for the money only.

Remember the old days when Exclusive can do just about anything? The sky is the limit and also the size of the wallet. They had cranked out some truly bespoke cars for special clients that insist on ordering something that's exactly what they had wanted. Porsche wants to returning to that root with PTS, only painting cars for clients that really wanted something unique, not regular Joe that just wanted PTS for investment. 

I can't speak for Rennlist members, but I assume that like me, many want PTS simply because they wish to have a color they actually LIKE when forking out a substantial amount on the car of their dreams. The standard offerings from Porsche are pretty limited, which I assume is the main reason people want to pay extra to get their color of choice. If PTS means added value in resale, all the better for it, but I don't believe that's what motivates people to get it. At least not over here.

--

Think about it from outside the box for a minute.

How much do you think a body shop would charge to repaint a car properly? As in strip the car down to bare metal, sand down the old paint and repaint the car in a new color?

Then consider what price Porsche is charging for PTS now. For those that are committed to one special color they like, they can still ask Porsche for PTS and do it. 

And the bodyshop route is a very viable route. My friend Sam wasn't granted PTS on his GT3RS, so he had someone strip the car and repainted it basically McLaren volcano orange. 

--

m4ever:

You might be giving interesting ideas to Porsche to offer Wrap to Sample for half the price of Paint to Sample indecision

Smiley Count me in!

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    Porker:
    Whoopsy:

See my other post, not really a personal crusade per se. Just what I got back from Porsche, they really don't like what he had done. They are swamped with PTS requests now.

You can see that at RL. 90% of the posts are about value, and about having a PTS car will keep it's value more.

Nick, I am not here to defend Eduardo. As you may know, he and I have had issues but made up.SmileySmiley

But why should Porsche get made at Eduardo. All he did was provide information about PTS which Porsche failed to do and did not want to do. As was pointed out in another post, a buyer buying a car of his dreams wants to select a color that meets his expectations. That isn't available to most buyers of Porsche today. A buyer like myself who is in and out of cars frequently doesn't place much emphasis on color because I don't become attached to cars. Others buy the car and have it buried with them. They should have better choices.

--

Whoopsy:

I would think that it is more about the flippers regarding the prices of PTS,  rather than Eduardo.. it certainly is a gold mine for Porsche now, good on Porsche for wanting part of the action.

--

There's no accounting for taste....

nberry:

But why should Porsche get made at Eduardo. All he did was provide information about PTS which Porsche failed to do and did not want to do. As was pointed out in another post, a buyer buying a car of his dreams wants to select a color that meets his expectations. That isn't available to most buyers of Porsche today. A buyer like myself who is in and out of cars frequently doesn't place much emphasis on color because I don't become attached to cars. Others buy the car and have it buried with them. They should have better choices.

As I said, he decoded a process that Porsche doesn't quite want to be decoded. With him making the process more transparent, everyone and their mother are ordering PTS for GT cars and want them early to flip because of the perceived better investment grade car.

Doing a PTS car is not as simple as he is preaching, period. The logistic part is not good for Porsche's just-in-time manufacturing process. Body panels and trims are painted by outside contractors that may or may not match what the factory has painted and thus needed to be redone, delaying the build.

Different materials needed different primers and the paint may not show up the way it is suppose to be from the different primers. 

There is an approved list, but that list is for standard cars, GT cars might have used different material than regular cars and thus the above sentence. 

The problem is not with Porsche not giving out PTS cars, they do, but they will be towards the middle or end of the production run. The problem lies with people who wants the early cars AND with PTS to maximize early resale value. 

For people that are truly committed to a custom colour, why not wait a bit and let Porsche do their due process and get the car right? 

I could have had a early 911R, but I won't get black, so I move back toward the end of the run in order to get black and give me more time to negotiate on custom options. Ended up I still can't get them to paint my logo, so I had parts ordered the badge and paint it my way. The part took a long time to come btw. I want a car that's truly me and I don't mind waiting for it. And I ended up with one of the last 911R made. Yes I missed the early million dollar flips, but I couldn't care less as I am not buying the car to flip or to not lose money on. And I don't need to have the latest and greatest to 'show off'. I did want PTS on my 911R, Nero Daytona to be exact, I didn't get what I want but I am not losing sleep over it. Down the road when I stock up enough scratches and rock chips, I might have a body shop strip the car and paint it that color. Simple and easy enough. 

For the GT2RS, I had also asked to have a late production just to see what options might open up later on in the production cycle. 

On a side note, they just gave me confirmation that my Turbo S Exclusive will be going into production in January. And yes, I took the launch Golden Yellow, btw, Exclusive personal called the car the Golden Eye. (See, I don't just like black Smiley)  

--

Nacelle1:
    Whoopsy:

I would think that it is more about the flippers regarding the prices of PTS,  rather than Eduardo.. it certainly is a gold mine for Porsche now, good on Porsche for wanting part of the action.

The price increase is to weed out the causal PTS buyers. For the committed, it's a price within reason to get something they really wanted. 

--

Nick, your a different buyer. You own my high performance cars. Many buyers are ordering the car of their dreams for the first time because they can now afford to do so. Why should they wait a year or two for the car they want? 

I disagree that many early buyers buy the car to flip. No doubt some do but others like myself want the latest and greatest because I enjoy driving the latest car the manufacturer is offering. I don't make any money buying the latest cars and if anything I lose money when you compute the loss of investment dollars (I normally write check for the car). I invariable turn the car back to the dealer for resale.

BTW, I understand the problems PTS creates for a manufacturer. But again, it of their own making. Right now Porsche would be better off providing more colors to choose from and do away with PTS all together. The PTS program today is engendering anger and disgust not only from the buyers but also dealers. 

--

Singer Vehicle Design Announces Collaboration With Williams On High Performance And Light-Weighting Services

The Porsche 911 engine presented here is part of a stand-alone selection of restoration and modification services strongly oriented towards light-weighting and dynamic gains.

- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -

LOS ANGELES, August 8, 2017 – Singer Vehicle Design announces details of a new level of restoration and modification services commissioned by three of its clients for their air-cooled Porsche 911s. To meet the high-performance and light-weighting goals required for the restorations, Singer has undertaken a performance research study with Williams Advanced Engineering, part of Williams Grand Prix Engineering Group, and engaged the celebrated motorsports concern to engineer technical modifications and components for these restored and reimagined Porsche 911s.

The first fruit of this work is a modified, naturally aspirated, air-cooled, flat-six Porsche 911 engine with a 4.0L capacity, four-valves per cylinder and four cam-shafts, rated at 500HP.

The engine benefits from the additional insight and vast experience of famed engine designer and engineer, Hans Mezger, who is a technical consultant to the project.

The engine will power a 1990 Porsche 911 currently being restored for long-term Singer client, Scott Blattner.

The full spectrum of the enhancements provided by Williams Advanced Engineering and other technical partners will be unveiled in Scott’s restored, reimagined and reborn Porsche 911 in September.

Beginning with the Mezger-designed Porsche 3.6L engine from the 1990 911, the resulting specification is as follows:

• 500HP
    • Four-valve cylinder heads
    • Engine speed range extended beyond 9,000 rpm
    • Dual-oil circuits
    • Cylinders and pistons with titanium con-rods
    • Aluminum throttle bodies with carbon fiber trumpets
    • Upper and lower injectors for improved performance
    • A carbon fiber air-box with active multi-stage resonator chamber for mid-range torque optimization
    • Inconel and titanium exhaust system optimized for thermal performance
    • CFD optimized and enlarged engine cooling fan
    • Ram air induction system with pressure recovery in intake plenums
    • Lightweight materials, including titanium, magnesium and carbon fiber are used extensively to reduce component mass and vehicle weight.

As ever, Singer’s work is motivated by the desire to understand the perspectives and requirements of its clients and to present them uniquely personal restoration and modification services – always guided by the philosophy:  Everything is Important.

Rob Dickinson, Founder of Singer Vehicle Design, explained:

“Helping our clients realize their unique vision for a reimagined Porsche 911 with the help of automotive royalty is very much a privilege. Singer is delighted to be working with Williams Advanced Engineering and Hans Mezger to offer our clients a “next level” of restoration and modification services for their Porsche 911s.  With careful and dedicated development, this iconic air-cooled engine has much to give both its existing devotees and a generation of new enthusiasts.”

Dickinson stated that the full culmination of this exciting work with Williams and other technical partners will be revealed shortly and will represent a stand-alone selection of restoration and modification services strongly oriented towards light-weighting and dynamic gains.

Jonathan Williams, Williams Heritage Director, noted further:

“The Porsche 911 has long been a standard bearer in the worlds of racing and advanced engineering – two things that we care deeply about at Williams. As an admirer of the 911, I’m thrilled that we’re working with Singer and its clients on these restorations.”

Singer client and commissioning owner, Scott Blattner, provided additional context saying:

“My journey with Singer Vehicle Design began with the restoration of two coupes. In 2016 these were joined by my Targa, which recently ran in the famous Hill Climb at Goodwood Festival of Speed. I became intrigued by the possibility of further evolution and I’m very excited to be sharing the first details of the engine for my car.”

Paul McNamara, Technical Director, Williams Advanced Engineering added:

“This has been a fantastic opportunity to showcase the core capabilities of Williams Advanced Engineering. Having had the opportunity to consult with Hans Mezger – the “father” of the iconic air-cooled flat-six – about the development of the engine, our team was pleased to be able to provide a solution to Singer’s clients’ requirements and of course, to be a part of this iconic vehicle’s continued evolution.”

About Singer Vehicle Design

Singer Vehicle Design (Singer) restores and reimagines 1989 to 1994 Porsche 911s for its clients.  Singer does not manufacture or sell automobiles.

Singer is not sponsored, associated, approved, endorsed nor, in any way, affiliated with Porsche Cars North America, Inc., or Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche, AG. The Porsche® name and crest and 911® are trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG, and any other products mentioned are the trademarks of their respective holders. Any mention of trademarked names or other marks is for purpose of reference only.

The product of Singer’s painstaking effort is a Porsche 911 restored and reimagined by Singer.  Out of respect for Porsche, and to respect Porsche’s trademark rights, this incredible machine should never under any circumstances be referred to or described as a “Singer,” “Singer 911,” “Singer Porsche 911” or a “Porsche Singer 911,” or in any other manner that suggests that it is anything but a Porsche 911.

About Williams Advanced Engineering

Williams Advanced Engineering is the division of the Williams Group that harnesses Formula One derived technology and know-how to deliver highly innovative products and services to the motorsport, automotive, defence and healthcare sectors. Working in close collaboration with its customers, Williams Advanced Engineering helps meet the sustainability challenges of the 21st century and improve performance, with its expertise in aerodynamics and thermodynamics, electrification, advanced lightweight materials and vehicle integration.

#     #     #

Image Gallery...

Singer Press Release: http://singervehicledesign.com/singer-vehicle-design-announces-collaboration-with-williams-on-high-performance-and-light-weighting-services/

...how do you like them apples? Smiley

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761055 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434580 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260111 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257248 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80802 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871473 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806704 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM