Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My new Honda CR-V

Just collected our Honda CR-V yesterday, and I must say it was a pleasent surprise.
    First of all, I hadn't tried or even sat in the car before driving yesterday, so I was really anxious to find out if the car was worth the money.
    And speaking of the devil; as u can see the car has yellow plates, which means it's been registered as a van. It's cheaper that way here in Denmark - but not cheap compared to other countries. Evn on yellow plates and with only cargo space in the back (no seats allowed) it ran me 50,000$.
    As a full 4-seater it's close to 95,000$. Yikes!

But first of all I was surprised to see how nice the car looks.
    I know, it's not a Porsche Cayenne or a Range Rover (btw the dealer sold Range Rovers too, and the pickup area for my car was right next to new RR's...not a very clever phsychological move on the dealers behalf ) - but it's never the less a very, dare I say, handsome car.
    Pictures dont do this car justice, it simply has a great presence live, and reminds me of the bold curves of the new MB M series. Very nice IMO.

Furthermore it's packed with every conceivable equipment including backing camera, xenon, dual CC, electrical seats, rainsensor, cruisecontrol, DVD, double skylight (like a huge sunroof except it cant open), folding mirrors, navigation etc etc. The list is endless.
    Considering that this is a soccer mom car, I think Honda did a great job in that department.

Driving impressions:
    Ive only driven it about 30 miles, so my impressions are only preliminary and sketchy so far, but here are a few points:
    PROs:
    * Smooth engine with great torque (2.2i TurboDiesel)
    * Great suspension with a perfect balance between smooth and hard. It's "firm" in the best sense of the word. Really good.
    * Outlook is great and ergonomically things seem to work very well.
    * Great presence. It looks bigger than it really is. I actually REALLY looked forward to driving it this morning - somehow it brings a smile to my face

CONs:
    * Engine noisy. U can very clearly hear the classic Diesel-ticking. Not good enough considering competitors have more silent engines.
    * Too tall/high. Suspension should be lowered. It feels a bit "tractor-like" i corners. Of course its not a sportscar - but it could feel more direct than it does. Im gonna lower it with KONI or similar at some point.
    * Bling-beep-dingding! Alarm chimes/bells drives me nuts. Everytime you even THINK about touching a knob or switch the whole panel lights up and the car sounds like a vibraphone concert.
    * Navigation is not 3D. IMO TomTom should be standard on all navigations. It's just oldschool to see maps in 2D.
    * iPod not standard. You can buy an integrated iPod cable, so u can control the iPod from the wheel. Should be standard.

I'll tell u more when I have driven it some more.

Re: My new Honda CR-V

Rear-view cam switches on automatically when backing up

Nice but what are the two "things" in last picture near the rear seat? Looks great in black

Congrats on the CR-V

With the rear seats gone you have more room for Beer or for Boxster parts.

I like the rear camera. Its will be handy for at stop lights keeping track of those topless Danish anti speeder girls.

Honda makes nice stuff.

Congrats Lasse!

Congrats Lasse!
    New CR-V looks far better then the old one IMO.

Congrats I agree new CR-V looks much better than the old one. Also it looks bigger.

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm not a fan of the huge front grille, but in a black car it's not so glaring. I like the design otherwise.

The thing about having to remove the rear seats to save on taxes makes me wonder. What are the rules to register a passenger car as a van? Would it be possible to register a GT3 as a van, or do you have to have a rear hatch (in which case a Targa would be the way to go )?

It looks a lot better live than in these pics IMO. I saw several in Thailand last year.

Quote:
    mikigta said:
    Nice but what are the two "things" in last picture near the rear seat? Looks great in black

Those are curtains and a shelf that normally operate just behind the rear seats.
    Since the seats are gone, I'll have to build some kinda contraption so I can use the rear compartment without goods flying around the cargo area.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Congratulations on your purchase. I'm not a fan of the huge front grille, but in a black car it's not so glaring. I like the design otherwise.

The thing about having to remove the rear seats to save on taxes makes me wonder. What are the rules to register a passenger car as a van? Would it be possible to register a GT3 as a van, or do you have to have a rear hatch (in which case a Targa would be the way to go )?

Thanks
    Well, there have been examples of passenger cars being registered as vans.
    Some Chevy Camaros were registered as vans some years ago, but they have changed the rules.
    First of all, the car needs to weigh more than 2000kg total.
    Then you need a cargo area that is at least 140cm long (I believe its 140cm).
    Then the cargo area must be separated from the cockpit. Hence the two glass plates behind the seats.
    And last but not least the cargo area must have a minimum height (I believe 90cm) for at least 130cm(?) of the length of the cargo area.
    Those requirements pretty much rule out the use of a GT3 etc.

If not, the streets of Denmark would be packed with GT3s and 997TTs

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    mikigta said:

Those are curtains and a shelf that normally operate just behind the rear seats.
    Since the seats are gone, I'll have to build some kinda contraption so I can use the rear compartment without goods flying around the cargo area.

OK thanks... You have to pay a lot of taxes in your country...

Quote:
    mikigta said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    mikigta said:

OK thanks... You have to pay a lot of taxes in your country...

The taxes on this particular car was 192.000 Dkr = appr. 30,000 USD

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Those requirements pretty much rule out the use of a GT3 etc.

That settles it, I'm not moving to Denmark.

Dr. Phil Why in Denmark people didn't chosen the Euro?

Hey congrats man. I know you've been looking forward to this day since you told us you ordered it.

Are you gonna change your handle from "Rennteam Pimp & Guru" to "Rennteam Soccer Mom"?

Enjoy man. I have to say, your environmental taxes are really crazy.

What did you do with your 986S? Did you sell it?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Hey congrats man. I know you've been looking forward to this day since you told us you ordered it.

Are you gonna change your handle from "Rennteam Pimp & Guru" to "Rennteam Soccer Mom"?

Enjoy man. I have to say, your environmental taxes are really crazy.

What did you do with your 986S? Did you sell it?

'
    It's not environmental taxes. It started out as a "registration fee" and should supposedly cover the maintenance of our roads - but actually it's just another way of ripping us off and paying for social benefits.
    There is also a Green Tax on the car every year, on the CRV it's around 500$.
    The Green Tax depends on which pollution class ur vehicle belongs to.
    Toyota Prius has a Green Tax of close to none, if I remember correctly.
    On top of that, we have to pay appr. 900$ a year to use a "yellow plate" (cargo van) car as a private means of transportation.
    Then add Diesel taxes, insurance tax etc...
    It's nuts.

No, I kept the Boxey.
    I'm keeping it...forever it would seem.
    I cant get enough for it anyways - if I sell I will lose $$$, and in 2-3 years the car will only devaluate slightly, so I might as well drive those kms myself instead of giving some buyer a free ride.
    And for the $ I could get for the Boxey, I'd have to doublee that to get a new one...and that's just plain silly.

great car you've got there!

but that's insane! a CRV costs around 35.000 EUR here and that's fully loaded! I mean...we Greeks usually complain about the taxation on cars but it seems to me that you guys there beat us by far!

Quote:
    mikigta said:
    Dr. Phil Why in Denmark people didn't chosen the Euro?

People voted no to the monetary union. I think they were afraid of losing their danish "uniqueness"...but thats a different story,

Congratulations! I've seen it in our local Honda dealer (I've got the new Civic) and it looks very impressive. Honda are definitely the best Japanese manufacturer by a long way IMO. When time comes to change the Civic I may seriously consider one as the Civic has terrible rear vision and no rear wiper which is stupid. Whilst bigger than I need (only SWMBO and me) it is a lot more practical than the Civic. Surprised about your comments about the 2.2 diesel, I find it smooth and refined in the Civic. Definitely the best engine for the CRV, the petrol engines are high revving and lack torque.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Congratulations! I've seen it in our local Honda dealer (I've got the new Civic) and it looks very impressive. Honda are definitely the best Japanese manufacturer by a long way IMO. When time comes to change the Civic I may seriously consider one as the Civic has terrible rear vision and no rear wiper which is stupid. Whilst bigger than I need (only SWMBO and me) it is a lot more practical than the Civic. Surprised about your comments about the 2.2 diesel, I find it smooth and refined in the Civic. Definitely the best engine for the CRV, the petrol engines are high revving and lack torque.

Thanks Tim!
    I just passed an "old" model CRV, and it seemed small compared to the 07 model. I must have been an illusion (my ego running amock?), since the numbers tell a different tale.
    MY 2007: (Length, width, height in centimeters) 452,5 x 182,0 x 167,5
    MY 2006: L 461,7 x W 178,3 x H 168,1 cm
    The new model is shorter because it doesnt have the exterior spare wheel holder on the back door (thankfully).

All in all, it's roomy, but its not a large SUV (altho it dwarfs my Boxey good), so it wont be overkill in anyway for 2 people IMO.

Regarding rear visibility the C-pillar is very broad, but visibility is ok - not great- but ok, nonetheless.

I just read a CR-V profile brochure.
    The 2.2 diesel is claimed to be very silent, smooth and powerful.
    A whole new kind of diesel, "you wont notice its a Diesel" they claim.
    That is BS. The engine on my CRV is ticking like crazy and only a deaf person would not identify this as a Diesel engine.

The smoothness is also so-so.
    When u push the speeder, nothing much happens before it hits 2500 rpm or so. Then you get a good shove into the next decade. Until the torque drops again and you repeat the procedure in the next gear.
    When u get used to shifting at the right time it's a smooth ride - otherwise it's not.
    Dont misunderstand me: it's not the classic Turbo-wham! you feel. Its a pleasent shove/push. But it takes some getting used to IMO.
    The gap between 2. and 3. gear is strange.
    I often drive up a steep road in my neighborhood and use 2nd gear for this.
    If I shift to 3rd @ appr. 3500rpm in 2nd the engine "dies". Meaning it feels like I just shifted to 5th gear.

The car is new, so I'll give it a chance to get broken in and settle.
    But the ticking sound will be something I take to the dealer - onee of the reasons I got this CRV was because they claimed that you could hardly hear the Diesel sound.

Apart from these areas of critique the car really grows on me.
    It handles really well, and is rock steady even at 160+ km/h. Corners nicely too.
    The comfort equipment is simply great, the gear is classic Honda delicatessen, the seating is great and overall feel of the car just positive.

So Im a happy man so far

Congrats on your buy

It was a quick delivery. It looks great in my opinion.

I keep complaning about our registration fees and taxes here in belgium but Danemark is on another planet. Like South Africa is. And you don't even get SA's weather for that price.

You could buy a boxster for that honda SUV here in belgium. If I was in danemrak, I'd consider to move just for that reason. It's nuts.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761700 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434987 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260303 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257395 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80872 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871803 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807161 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM