Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Interior Carbon Package ?

The carbon trims are real carbon or just plastic?

Re: Interior Carbon Package ?

Do you think this CF package will matches a GT3 CS in white?

They're real...I have the CP shifter, e-brake, trim across dashboard and steering wheel trim in mine.

GT3 CS?

So that is lighter than the plastic parts?

Can you take off the cup holder logo on the CF trim?
    That look stupid IMO!

I have the carbon package, a carbon fiber rear center console, carbon fiber door entry guards and a carbon fiber air filter housing that comes with the X51 kit.

I didn't buy these carbon fiber items to save weight (I did however buy PCCB's to save 37 pounds of unsprung rotating weight) but purely for the aesthetics as I think Porsche offers some of the nicest looking carbon fiber I have ever seen.

The fact that their carbon fiber has such a high gloss and deep sheen tells me they weren't trying to keep the weight down but instead produce carbon fiber that is attractive and pleasing to the eye. I doubt there is any weight savings over the plastic parts the carbon fiber replaces and I wouldn't be surprised if the carbon fiber was even a little heavier.

I don't think the cup holder logo could be easily removed as it is under the multiple clear coats that adds the eye candy shine and weight.

Just wondering the RS have cup holder also?

Excuse my pedantry here guys, but the stuff we're talking about here is CFRP - i.e. by definition it is partly plastic. Carbon fibre outside of a composite (i.e. not set in epoxy or polyester resin), remains cloth-like and is a kind of textile.

Are the carbon trims real carbon? Well if the question is are they CFRP, then the answer is yes.

Are the carbon trims just plastic? Answer is also yes - they are plastic which contains carbon fibre

Gaz

I thought the carbon was encapsulated in an acrylic resin (not epoxy and especially not polyester).

Anyway, I think "carbon" looks really really good.

I would have gotten it but the cost was ridiculous for what it does (I got better ways to blow the money). At half the price it would have been hard to refuse.

Quote:
    Gaz said:
    Excuse my pedantry here guys, but the stuff we're talking about here is CFRP - i.e. by definition it is partly plastic. Carbon fibre outside of a composite (i.e. not set in epoxy or polyester resin), remains cloth-like and is a kind of textile.

Are the carbon trims real carbon? Well if the question is are they CFRP, then the answer is yes.

Are the carbon trims just plastic? Answer is also yes - they are plastic which contains carbon fibre

Gaz

Thanks for the infos..

Seriously, the price of those little parts are expensive and worthless. I just love to drive and those things are useless ( although i go with full leather ).

If it is made of all carbon then that's fine. Thin carbon sticked on plastic? I am not going to pay for that! It is even haeavier than the standard parts!!

The thing about carbon interior is you choose it because you like the look obviously waaaaay better (because it costs alot) than the standard aluminum trim pieces.

I think the interior is too bizzy and like the darker carbon to get rid ot those alumimum highlights. The alumimum trim pieces attract alot of attention yet they are nearly insignificant.

The nice thing about carbon is it represents the latest high tech advancement in engineering a race car.

It's nice to have touches of the fascinating composite material surrounding you in the interior, right? For the same human reason as having a disk brake as a clock, or a piston on your desktop. May not be totally functional but is a pleasure to be live with or be surrounded by.

Beside being a darker alternative to annoying aluminum trim, I think the carbon package is great because it represents the innovative material's amazing physical properties and Porsche made it look beautiful.

Pi**es me off that they charge an absurd amount of money for it though. E.g. I'm not paying us$1000 for a clock made from a disk brake rotor.

Yes you are right, CF really looks great!

IMO those aluminum trims looks quite good for the GT3, because it matches the silver GT3's wheels.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I thought the carbon was encapsulated in an acrylic resin (not epoxy and especially not polyester).

Could be. I guess they use whatever looks best for trim instead of what may function best as a structural material. It's still plastic however, and I suspect it scuffs and deteriorates in the same way as any fibreglass-type material does.

Quote:
    Gaz said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Could be. I guess they use whatever looks best for trim instead of what may function best as a structural material. It's still plastic however, and I suspect it scuffs and deteriorates in the same way as any fibreglass-type material does.

I woulds suspect though, as it scuffs, it probably doesn't look as bad as when the "aluminum look" plastic starts to scuff and deteriorate.

Sometimes, the automotive aftermarket "ruins" things for me that could otherwise possibly be "trick" or attractive.

Carbon fiber trim is such a victim..

Whether it's real, or plastic, or some unholy mutation between the two, it screams "Grampa Jones got whacky with the J.C. Whitney catalog" to me...

Furthermore, I find it extremely busy and mesmerizing.

No matter how artfully crafted and "real" the CF trim options are on the Porsche, I can't shake the parallel between that and a Camaro interior with a clip-on CF-look steering wheel-cover, and self-adhesive plastic CF-look trim panels slapped willy-nilly, deftly contrasting against the empty Bud cans littering the floor, aptly protecting the console from a thick layer of cigarette ashes, and dimly reflecting the soft glow of neon eminating from beneath the car.

While the aluminum-look trim is just more plastic itself, at least it's crisp, clean and uncluttered with pattern.

But that's the beauty of Porsche, they give you infinite options in the interior (at a lofty cost? )

IMHO carbon fibre is great only if it is really making a noticeable performance difference i.e. saving sufficient weight to improve track times. Otherwise, it's just a piece of interior decoration.

It's kinda nice if the interior is black. Looks out of place in lighter interiors.

DANG aluminum door handle is still there... .

See? IMO, it looks not-too-good in Sea Blue (Ocean Blue?). Aluminum wheel... not-too-good looking IMO.

This looks good IMO. The black interior understates the carbon. Nice to be surrounded by it but not if it's in-your-face as it would be in a lighter interior. But..., I have more fun ways to blow us$10K.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Sometimes, the automotive aftermarket "ruins" things for me that could otherwise possibly be "trick" or attractive.

Whether it's real, or plastic, or some unholy mutation between the two, it screams "Grampa Jones got whacky with the J.C. Whitney catalog" to me...

No matter how artfully crafted and "real" the CF trim options are on the Porsche, I can't shake the parallel between that and a Camaro interior with a clip-on CF-look steering wheel-cover, and self-adhesive plastic CF-look trim panels slapped willy-nilly, deftly contrasting against the empty Bud cans littering the floor, aptly protecting the console from a thick layer of cigarette ashes, and dimly reflecting the soft glow of neon eminating from beneath the car.

While the aluminum-look trim is just more plastic itself, at least it's crisp, clean and uncluttered with pattern.

But that's the beauty of Porsche, they give you infinite options in the interior (at a lofty cost? )

I have to agree. JC Whitney.

Dan

MMD, I'm surprised that those CF pictures wind your watch, as it introduces more clutter, less harmony or uniformity. Very un-traditional-MMD....

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

I have to agree. JC Whitney.

Dan

That's how I feel about wood interior items.

I like wood in luxury cars, but in a Porsche it looks goofy. Like going to the gym to play basketball in dress pants and wing-tips.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    MMD, I'm surprised that those CF pictures wind your watch, as it introduces more clutter, less harmony or uniformity. Very un-traditional-MMD....

I dunno. I'm lookin' at my as-plain-as-I-could-make-it current car and finding it a bit boring! No kidding. Could be a late-winter hormonal or neurochemical imbalance or something. Lookin' to my next P-car ( a TT) and wondering if I could jazz it up a bit without regretting either too much clutter or too boring later on... . Terrible dilemma I know.

I like reading (total amateur) about high tech materals like carbon fiber, kevlar, spectra, exotic metal alloys, etc. . Might be nice to have some of that stuff, albeit totally beautified, in the interior.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    IMHO carbon fibre is great only if it is really making a noticeable performance difference i.e. saving sufficient weight to improve track times. Otherwise, it's just a piece of interior decoration.

Exactly what I think....

The majority of all the Porsche carbon is layered over plastic, NOT fabricated from Kevlar.

Trust me.

We make the carbon pieces as well, and it's a bitch to do them right. But once done, they are absolute pieces of art. My entire office is decorated with them.

could we have a picture of your office in carbon

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774153 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439938 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261871 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260155 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84743 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879080 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813798 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM