Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT3 RS

the 'in-your-face' argument is one of the most common and obnoxious reasons for buying poorly designed products. i am too old to care what strangers think about me. they will have to bear the look of my lambo unless they want to gaze at some nearby 911 carrera instead which - statistically speaking - will surely be around as well:::)))

On the contrary, usually those that care a lot about what others think will preffer the more flashy attention grabbing design, and those that do not prefer a more inconspicuous conservative elegant desing, of course you cant generalise, the are many exceptions, we have many example of exceptions in this forum for example, but as a general rule out there in the world that is the case.

And in the case of the 911 its design has an added value in its classical instantly recognisable and timeless shape and curves that generations have grown up cherishing, again not everyone, some who are not real fans of the 911 dont see or appreciate that.

Re: poor design, louder and in your face is not synonimous with good design, normally de opposite in my book when you need to go that easy route to catch attention, like a woman full of plastic surjeries, heavy make up, and flashy clothing vs a woman with understated natural clean beauty who doesnt need to flaunt it, or a classic Rolex model vs a flashy gucci or whatever watch.

In my case the reason why I also dont like flashy and in your face designs is not only the image it protrays, but also that attention that it grabs seriously detracts from my driving pleasure, getting by more unnoticed when driving the car and being more stealth is a good thing, as it allows me to drive how I want to by nor being in a spotlight, and so I can push the car more, and drive it more, enjoy it more driving it and not parading around in it. so for a GT3 for example I would pay to delete the rear wing myself, and that would be a bonus to that cars attractiveness to me, being able to do that, but I understand why for others it would be the contrary and don't think anything bad of it if you prefer the look of the rear wing yourself.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

On the contrary, usually those that care a lot about what others think will preffer the more flashy attention grabbing design, and those that do not prefer a more inconspicuous conservative elegant desing, of course you cant generalise, the are many exceptions but asca general rule that it the case. And in the case of the 911 its design has an added value in its classical instantly recognisable and timeless shape and curves that generations have grown up cherishing, again not everyone, some who are not real fans of the 911 dont see or appreciate that.

what worked decades ago may not work any more today. 

Re: poor design, louder and in your face is not synonimous with good design,

of course it is not. neither is the other way around. my argument was that one should not be scared to drive well-designed cars because others consider them 'flashy'. 

normally de opposite in my book when you need to go that easy route to catch attention, like a woman full of plastic surjeries, heavy make up, and flashy clothing vs a woman with understated natural clean beauty who doesnt need to flaunt it, or a classic Rolex model vs a flashy gucci or whatever watch.

In my case the reason why I also dont like flashy and in your face designs is not only the image it protrays, but also that attention that it grabs seriously detracts from my driving pleasure, getting by more unnoticed when driving the car and being more stealth is a good thing, as it allows me to drive how I want to by nor being in a spotlight, and so I can push the car more, and drive it more, enjoy it more driving it and not parading around in it.

Carlos, this last argument is hard to follow. speed cams don't distinguish between cars and i was always treated very well with my 'flashy' ferrari in italy and austria. much better than in all other cars i had before and much better than in the GT3RS. and btw, there is nothing more 'in-your-face' than porsche GT cars. they have an aftermarket look to everyone except us few cognoscenti.

--

Kobalt:

Just watched video of the Performante - want it bad but I think my driving will be too expensive in that car (90% track).

If you drive 90% on track (my case too), I assume you would want to have a 4 or 6-point racing harness, but unfortunately it is not available in the Performante! SmileySmiley

--

991 GT3 RS / Gone: Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

pmarkow:
    Carlos from Spain:

On the contrary, usually those that care a lot about what others think will preffer the more flashy attention grabbing design, and those that do not prefer a more inconspicuous conservative elegant desing, of course you cant generalise, the are many exceptions but asca general rule that it the case. And in the case of the 911 its design has an added value in its classical instantly recognisable and timeless shape and curves that generations have grown up cherishing, again not everyone, some who are not real fans of the 911 dont see or appreciate that.

Re: poor design, louder and in your face is not synonimous with good design,

of course it is not. neither is the other way around. my argument was that one should not be scared to drive well-designed cars because others consider them 'flashy'. 

normally de opposite in my book when you need to go that easy route to catch attention, like a woman full of plastic surjeries, heavy make up, and flashy clothing vs a woman with understated natural clean beauty who doesnt need to flaunt it, or a classic Rolex model vs a flashy gucci or whatever watch.

In my case the reason why I also dont like flashy and in your face designs is not only the image it protrays, but also that attention that it grabs seriously detracts from my driving pleasure, getting by more unnoticed when driving the car and being more stealth is a good thing, as it allows me to drive how I want to by nor being in a spotlight, and so I can push the car more, and drive it more, enjoy it more driving it and not parading around in it.

Carlos, this last argument is hard to follow. speed cams don't distinguish between cars and i was always treated very well with my 'flashy' ferrari in italy and austria. much better than in all other cars i had before and much better than in the GT3RS. and btw, there is nothing more 'in-your-face' than porsche GT cars. they have an aftermarket look to everyone except us few cognoscenti.

--

+1

Last thing I care about is what others think of the car. I get it for me and my family and for our enjoyment. Sorry Carlos but especially in Europe, a red 911 is not that much less noticed that's a red Ferrari unles you live in some wealthy enclaves. Sadly in most places in the world you do need to be aware and not being targeted or followed. That's one of the reason why we like Miami so much, you can do whatever you want car wise. Just on my street there is a RR, a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston and G AMG. There are also Maseratis, Porsche SUV and Range Rovers are used as dd. Funny enough there are no 911 except for one GT3. In the overall complex I have seen a CGT and some McLaren.

pmarkow:
    Carlos from Spain:

Judging by the success of the modern 911 today I'd say its working pretty well in this case Smiley

Its not about how you are treated, thats not a problem, its while you are driving, when driving "sportly" its best to go under the radar and not drag a spotlight on you, also important if you use the car daily instead of a drive on the weekend.

--

Are you saying that when you drive sporty you get less noticed in a red 911 than let's say another white silver or black sport car? Mmmmmm

SciFrog:

Sorry Carlos but especially in Europe, a red 911 is not that much less noticed that's a red Ferrari unles you live in some wealthy enclaves. Sadly in most places in the world you do need to be aware and not being targeted or followed. 

Cant be further from the truth, not here in Europe and I actually live here. 911 even red is not the same as a Ferrari, not just the attention but also the image. though that is one of the downsides of choosing carmine red in my case, attracts more attention than a normal 911, its still worth it cause love the color in a GTS but it comes with that downside you have to live with.

Also, its not a safety issue, thats not a problem here, its a matter of attracting too much attention from the traffic around you, cars getting closer to look, others thinking you a racing/driving crazy because its a flashy sportscar, etc  even simply "posing and parading" is unavoidable in a very flashy car even if that is not your intention... embarrasing.

--

SciFrog:

Are you saying that when you drive sporty you get less noticed in a red 911 than let's say another white silver or black sport car? Mmmmmm

Its a few posts up... We are talking about compared to a Lambo Huracan or mid-engined Ferrari...not a black Tesla minivan Smiley

--

GoHardGT3RS:
    Kobalt:

Just watched video of the Performante - want it bad but I think my driving will be too expensive in that car (90% track).

If you drive 90% on track (my case too), I assume you would want to have a 4 or 6-point racing harness, but unfortunately it is not available in the Performante! SmileySmiley

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Porker:
    Kobalt:

I'm also a huge fan of the car, but aside from price I could never ever see myself arriving anywhere in a Lambo, I'd be deeply embarrassed. Smiley

Nah, you're not the Lambo type...the beetle suits you better. SmileySmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

pmarkow:

for those of you who don't read the huracan performante thread, i am going to sell my GT3RS and get the performante instead. timing is Q2 2018. i shall decide in 2019 whether to keep the lambo or go for the 488VS. i miss the supercar feeling::::))))

Congratulations, you are going to LOVE it!!! SmileySmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    pmarkow:

for those of you who don't read the huracan performante thread, i am going to sell my GT3RS and get the performante instead. timing is Q2 2018. i shall decide in 2019 whether to keep the lambo or go for the 488VS. i miss the supercar feeling::::))))

thanks, sure will. suddenly the GT3RS seems bland:::)))

pmarkow:
    RC:
    pmarkow:

thanks, sure will. suddenly the GT3RS seems bland:::)))

You lucky so and so Smiley..

A big congrats Smiley......

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

pmarkow:
    RC:
    pmarkow:

Congratulations Smiley . Have you decided which colour?

Curious on that subject too... Would go Verde Scandal or Viola Ophelia myself (not in the market though). Cheers on the order!

crayphile:
    pmarkow:
    RC:
    pmarkow:

Congratulations Smiley . Have you decided which colour?

thanks!!! most likely bianco monocereus. just to stay under the radar::::)))

Carlos from Spain:
    Porker:
    pmarkow:
    Porker:
    Kobalt:

I'm also a huge fan of the car, but aside from price I could never ever see myself arriving anywhere in a Lambo, I'd be deeply embarrassed. Smiley

and why that?

Just personal taste, same reason I could never get a mid-engined modern Ferrari, for me they're too flashy. That doesn't mean I don't like them for someone else.

I know exactly what you mean Poker, I'm the same.

--

But Carlos you drive a red Porsche SmileySmileySmiley

--

J.Seven

Topspeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZh8ESDXUfs

Nice one from Chris, but conditions of the review not the best (wet + airport).

Knowing that Porsche cars always win with CH and listening to his comments about the AMG GTR, it looks that the GTR is a damned good car!

--

991 GT3 RS / Gone: Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

DuckieRS:

Curious on that subject too... Would go Verde Scandal or Viola Ophelia myself (not in the market though). Cheers on the order!

Verde Scandal is a nice color for the Performante but Viola Ophelia? Not sure...not my cup of tea.

--

There are two versions of the 'Ophelia' hue. Not the SE 30th, but the slightly darker one.

today some idiot could not stay on his part of a (very narrow) road when he came towards me IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3460.JPGand basically pushed me off so that my right rear end hit a wood branch which was (very conveniently, of course) placed roadside (my other option was to his car straight on). my car got only two very small (4-5mm wide) damages in the paint on the side skirt. any idea whether this will need a full pint job or just a minor paint correction? of course the idiot was long gone without trace....::::((((

Sorry!  Non-metallic white is pretty easy to match.  A good shop can fix that invisibly without having to paint a large area.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

Sorry!  Non-metallic white is pretty easy to match.  A good shop can fix that invisibly without having to paint a large area.

thanks grant!!!!

That's so small and low on the car, you could probably use whiteout and it wouldn't be noticeable.

noone1:

That's so small and low on the car, you could probably use whiteout and it wouldn't be noticeable.

yes but i need to avoid it rusting away:::))))

It'll need some paint for sure, but if done well you'll never see it. I had some sill damage repaired on my aqua blue metallic Boxster (notoriously difficult to match) and I couldn't spot the repair. Solid white will be a lot easier.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

+1

Bummer!   (One of the reasons I choosed white was because I knew I eventually will need to repaint it.)

Had a metallic Cobalt blue Carrera which I crashed backwars into our garage door. It hurt me double but I got new garage doors after that so in the end it was good.

It was impossible to see the paint repair afterwards. (I think if you are in the painting cars business your trained eye might have spot it but not a normal guy like me...)

So sorry to hear that, Peter. Smiley  Glad you are OK (cars can be fixed).

So many idiots out there lately. I have so many young(er) patients who take anti-depression/etc. medication and all of them are driving cars. Also, one of my customers is a police officer with traffic police and he told me that lately, they have almost as many drug usage incidents as alcohol, especially with younger people. Unbelievable. Add stupidity and inexperience to the mix and voila...this is what happens. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM