Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

valve stems on TPMS wheel?

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a set of takeoff wheels with about 600 miles on them. The wheels have metal valve stems on them. I'm planning to mount M-PSC tires on them. Can I reuse the valve stems, or I need to get new ones? They look like they are not removable?

thx

Re: valve stems on TPMS wheel?

TPMS stems are grey and they ARE removeable. The whole thing has to be replaced when the battery dies.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    TPMS stems are grey and they ARE removeable. The whole thing has to be replaced when the battery dies.

The WHOLE thing? How about just the batteries? It's now becoming another checklist item for tire ships,--checking the voltage output of TPMS senders.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

The WHOLE thing? How about just the batteries? It's now becoming another checklist item for tire ships,--checking the voltage output of TPMS senders.

Technical information publication PNA 489 421 05 says the batteries are "integrated" which is a BS way to say they can't be changed. They are lithium and have a service life of "typically" 7 years.

There is no mention on the website, that I could find,

http://www.beru.com/english/produkte/download.php?id=tss

of ever replacing batteries. BERU has gone to great lengths to build the sensor/sending unit that won't fail under extremes of temp, MOISTURE, pressure and centrifical forces. Apparently that does not include a removeable battery compartment.

Quote:
    colonel said:
    Hi guys,

I recently acquired a set of takeoff wheels with about 600 miles on them. The wheels have metal valve stems on them. I'm planning to mount M-PSC tires on them. Can I reuse the valve stems, or I need to get new ones? They look like they are not removable?

thx

You say "valve stems on TPMS wheels" - is that what you got wheels with TPMS - probably not if they have metal valve stems. Wheels with TPM sensors require a special, plastic valve stem. If your question is can you use the wheels you got with the metal valve stems - why not? They must have been OK on the vehicle they came off of.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Technical information publication PNA 489 421 05 says the batteries are "integrated" which is a BS way to say they can't be changed. They are lithium and have a service life of "typically" 7 years.

There is no mention on the website, that I could find,

http://www.beru.com/english/produkte/download.php?id=tss

of ever replacing batteries. BERU has gone to great lengths to build the sensor/sending unit that won't fail under extremes of temp, MOISTURE, pressure and centrifical forces. Apparently that does not include a removeable battery compartment.

This is purely conjecture. I understand that the senders are not inexpensive, and thus to replace them every 7 years for about $500 is stupid,--just for fresh batteries? No way.

Quote:
    Dan L said:

This is purely conjecture. I understand that the senders are not inexpensive, and thus to replace them every 7 years for about $500 is stupid,--just for fresh batteries? No way.

What's 500 bucks? Not alot for getting new sensors to go in the adverse enviroment for your wheels and tires every "typical" seven years.

I have heard this from at least two independent sources: the batteries are molded right into the body of the sender/sensor.

Pure conjecture? Maybe not quite. "Integrated battery" and no reference to battery replacement are pretty solid clues, no?

Would be great to get **explicit confirmation** that the batteries are replaceable though it seems a remote possibility.

PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY: go to the Baru website and search the technical info for reference to battery replacement!

sorry for the confusion...

I have 05 C2S and the wheels came with black rubber valve stems. I got a set of 06 S wheels (no tires) which have metal valve stem. I thought all 06s came with standard TPMS? No???

Just wondering if I need to change the valve stems when I mount new tires on them.

I am not an attorney nor am I an automotive engineer but my guess would be the TPMS manufacturers opted not to make the sending units serviceable to limit the potential for failure and resultant liability problems. I don't know of any modern day automobile manufacturers that still offer, for example, brake master cylinder repair kits, all in the interest of limiting their (and their dealers) potential to being sued.

With a seven year service life most new car buyers will never need to replace the sending units and the very nature of where the sending units are located and the environment in which they operate (electronic devices subjected to high centrifugal forces, vibration, moisture and ever changing temperatures) I can see why they would be manufactured as a sealed unit and have no serviceable parts.

Quote:
    colonel said:
    sorry for the confusion...

I have 05 C2S and the wheels came with black rubber valve stems. I got a set of 06 S wheels (no tires) which have metal valve stem. I thought all 06s came with standard TPMS? No???

Just wondering if I need to change the valve stems when I mount new tires on them.

You could probably sell them to sonmeone else who uses TPMS. TPMS didn't become mandatory for the Porsches until 2007; optional on the 06.

Called my parts man. Retail on each is $126 and there is no separate breakout for a serviceable unit,--separate battery.

dan

While we are at the topic. Can I install non-TPMS wheels onto a car equipped with TPMS? Is there a way to switch off the TPMS?

The reason I asked is because I plan to upgrade to facelifted Cayenne Turbo, which comes with TPMS. I want to re-use my 20" Sport Techno wheels which is non-TPMS. Thanks.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

What's 500 bucks? Not alot for getting new sensors to go in the adverse enviroment for your wheels and tires every "typical" seven years.

I have heard this from at least two independent sources: the batteries are molded right into the body of the sender/sensor.

Pure conjecture? Maybe not quite. "Integrated battery" and no reference to battery replacement are pretty solid clues, no?

Would be great to get **explicit confirmation** that the batteries are replaceable though it seems a remote possibility.

PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY: go to the Baru website and search the technical info for reference to battery replacement!

I checked Beru's German site. In their assembly instructions for workshops they explicitly state that the complete sensor must be changed if the battery is dead. Wow, didn't know that.
    They also say that the valves must be changed if the sensor is changed. Workshops should collect the sensors and send them back to Beru for disposal.

Thanks Ewi for finding it,

I couldn't find it explicitly stated on the English website.

Oh well, the nice thing is you buy the new ones and you got all new equipment.

By the time we need them who knows? Maybe the sensors/senders will have a battery compartment. There will be alot of angry people complaining about this when the sh*t starts to hit the fan

MMD,
    thanks for the link.
    Looks like I do have the wheels with TPMS, but the guy took the wheel electronic units off.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    While we are at the topic. Can I install non-TPMS wheels onto a car equipped with TPMS? Is there a way to switch off the TPMS?

The reason I asked is because I plan to upgrade to facelifted Cayenne Turbo, which comes with TPMS. I want to re-use my 20" Sport Techno wheels which is non-TPMS. Thanks.

Yes, that is possible, but takes a visit to a garage that has a Porsche system tester. The TPMS must be switched off with the tester or the TPMS must be removed from the list of installed control units. Otherwise, the instrument cluster will display some annoying TPMS warnings.

Quote:
    ewi said:
    Quote:
    Targa Tim said:

Yes, that is possible, but takes a visit to a garage that has a Porsche system tester. The TPMS must be switched off with the tester or the TPMS must be removed from the list of installed control units. Otherwise, the instrument cluster will display some annoying TPMS warnings.

Thanks a lot, ewi.

Probably easier to buy another set of TPMS wheels and sell the old one.

Tim,
    After looking at my wheels that I just bought, the wheels and TPMS are independent of each other. You should able to get anthoer TPMS set (part of the valve stem assembly) and attach to your sport techno wheels. Probably need to adjust the transmitter frequencya as well.

Quote:
    colonel said:
    Tim,
    After looking at my wheels that I just bought, the wheels and TPMS are independent of each other. You should able to get anthoer TPMS set (part of the valve stem assembly) and attach to your sport techno wheels. Probably need to adjust the transmitter frequencya as well.

Thanks a lot, colonel.

I just called my Porsche dealer. My service advisor said the TPMS can easily be turned off at the instrument cluster inside the car. He said no need to spend extra money to put on the sensors, but the sensors can be put on as you said. Thanks.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    My service advisor said the TPMS can easily be turned off at the instrument cluster inside the car.

Tim,
    as far as I know the TPMS can no longer be switched off in the instrument cluster. That was a feature of the first few model years only. That feature might also be country specific. In countries where the TPMS is required by law it is probably no longer possible to switch it off.
    Maybe someone with a recent model year Cayenne can shed some light into that

Quote:
    ewi said:
    Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    My service advisor said the TPMS can easily be turned off at the instrument cluster inside the car.

Tim,
    as far as I know the TPMS can no longer be switched off in the instrument cluster. That was a feature of the first few model years only. That feature might also be country specific. In countries where the TPMS is required by law it is probably no longer possible to switch it off.
    Maybe someone with a recent model year Cayenne can shed some light into that

Thanks again, ewi.

I guess I will wait until launch of facelifted Cayenne in my country to answer that question. Anyway, should not be a major concern. May actually be a good excuse to buy new wheels.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762699 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435501 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260576 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257617 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80961 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872428 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807805 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM