Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Awaiting the promissing new SLK 55 AMG

This afternoon, I was near a Mercedes-Benz dealer in Barcelona, and a "strange" wodoo, made me approach to it........

I ganced to the exterior glasses......, and there it was! a new SLK. In spite a humble 200 Kompressor, I found it much nicer than the photos.

I rushed in, and begun to deal about the 55 AMG ......(delivery in Nov-Dec). The dealer was really exquisite and knew was he was talking about.....

When suggested the "Barbus" possibility , I was told that they where seriously dealing with the chance of making it possible.........I felt very, very happy, and I went ahead (meanwhile carefully sighted all I could about the car....).

Please beleive me, I found it really, really nice, well appointed, well proportioned, and miles ahead its segment in the market (even the 200 kompressor). I'm anxious to see in person the AMG.

Again considering the price/performance tag, I sincerely beleive this car is a must if someone loves the roadsters.

The SLK 55 AMG is, nowdays, eons beyond it's "natural" compettitors in range, if not, at almost in equal stages of performance with some of it's theoretically "over him" (and much more expensive) models...............

If you add "Barbus" on top of the deal, I feel (Could be wrong), you can get a real Supercar for 60.000 less, and, at least, very, very near from the "Top guns" (I exclude "dreams" beyond 500K euros.)

All this said, please consider that my words are only based on the "cold" figures. I have not tested a 55 AMG, but my "smelling" tells me that it will be a remarkable car........If I still think this on Monday, I'll put my deposit to be in the waiting list. For shure.

If I can finally get the Barbus improovement, this will make sweeter my await for the 997 TT.......but, in any case, I'll get a fantastic roadster.

Re: Awaiting the promissing new SLK 55 AMG

Even if it runs from 0-100 in 4,9 secs... it doesnt drive like a 911 at all. The usual sentence: the AMG is a sporty car, while the 911 is a sportscar.

Even if it runs from 0-100 in 4,9 secs... it doesnt drive like a 911 at all. The usual sentence: the AMG is a sporty car, while the 911 is a sportscar.

My intenttion was not to face the slk 55 to a 911 (they are very, very different cars, and with different targets I think).....

For me, and for my way of driving, the front engine is a real handicap, specially when we "deal" with very twisted roads (not so much in the Highway). - But, under another point of view, in such mentioned roads, smaller dimensions are an added bonus, specially if under correct suspenssion adjustments-)

And, allways tanlking about my impressions (weight, dimensions, HP, gear box, etc....), I'm shure it will blow the compettition in its market segment (Until a new suprise can arrise to the market).

This said, shure it will put very nervous to others in "theory" with superior performance ones (and depending on the conditions, and driver, not only nervous)...........once again, if you add the "Brabus" touch..........you'll only see the back of the car and just for a short while (and for, let me insist, 10k less), unless if you are driving a well appointed "Top gun".

In any case, how can you be so shure? Have you already tested it? I'd very much appreciate any info.

PD: Please let me remark that we are just talking about a "fun" car, a roadster. Not a competition "sportscar" (In any case, if you want to really, really compit with a 911 in any type of race, many, many changes will have to be done to the standard vehicle - and this imply a very considerable high bill-

I'm not trying to defend this car, but I feel its a highly interesting proposition, and, as far as I have been attracted by it, I'd really appreciate oppinions in this forum before going a step forward.

My intenttion was not to face the slk 55 to a 911 (they are very, very different cars, and with different targets I think).....

For me, and for my way of driving, the front engine is a real handicap, specially when we "deal" with very twisted roads (not so much in the Highway). - But, under another point of view, in such mentioned roads, smaller dimensions are an added bonus, specially if under correct suspenssion adjustments-)

And, allways tanlking about my impressions (weight, dimensions, HP, gear box, etc....), I'm shure it will blow the compettition in its market segment (Until a new suprise can arrise to the market).

This said, shure it will put very nervous to others in "theory" with superior performance ones (and depending on the conditions, and driver, not only nervous)...........once again, if you add the "Brabus" touch..........you'll only see the back of the car and just for a short while (and for, let me insist, 10k less), unless if you are driving a well appointed "Top gun".

In any case, how can you be so shure? Have you already tested it? I'd very much appreciate any info.

PD: Please let me remark that we are just talking about a "fun" car, a roadster. Not a competition "sportscar" (In any case, if you want to really, really compit with a 911 in any type of race, many, many changes will have to be done to the standard vehicle - and this imply a very considerable high bill-

I'm not trying to defend this car, but I feel its a highly interesting proposition, and, as far as I have been attracted by it, I'd really appreciate oppinions in this forum before going a step forward.

The new SLK55 AMG looks really nice and if it sounds like the CLK55 AMG, the V8 sound will people make fall in love with it. But I hate to say it, I testdrove a SLK200 lately and I didn't like the drive feel at all, a huge disappointment from what I expected after the numb steering feel on the "old" SLK.
    The new SLK feels a bit more direct and the suspension seems to be slightly stiffer but there still is that numb steering feel which I never liked on the SLK. My wife owns a SLK32 AMG and as much as I like the powerful engine and even the fast auto tranny, the steering is numb and horrible and the suspension setup is awful. My Cayenne Turbo feels much sportier when driven hard.
    Did I also mention the awful traction? The ESP jumps in all the time and the only way to have fun is to shut off the ESP all the time. Not a good thing at all because of the light rear of the SLK if you're not an experienced driver.

My wife wants the SLK55 AMG too because she doesn't like soft tops. I tried to persuade her to buy a 997 Cab or maybe the new 987 (Boxster) but it has to be a retractable hard top. The new SLK55 AMG looks really nice and I bet it is worth every Cent, especially compared to the somehow overpriced Boxster. But if looks are not the most important thing and if you want to have real fun driving this thing, there is no subsitute for a Porsche I'm afraid.

I'm pretty sure that my wife ends up with a SLK55 and as soon as it happens (her lease runs out in 22 months), I'll post a driving report. But til then, I'm pretty sure there will be enough owners who can report on their cars too.
    I hope AMG made the SLK55 a bit different than the ordinary SLK because I really expected something more "BMW Z4"-like when I testdrove the SLK200. But it didn't happen.

The new SLK55 AMG looks really nice and if it sounds like the CLK55 AMG, the V8 sound will people make fall in love with it. But I hate to say it, I testdrove a SLK200 lately and I didn't like the drive feel at all, a huge disappointment from what I expected after the numb steering feel on the "old" SLK.
    The new SLK feels a bit more direct and the suspension seems to be slightly stiffer but there still is that numb steering feel which I never liked on the SLK. My wife owns a SLK32 AMG and as much as I like the powerful engine and even the fast auto tranny, the steering is numb and horrible and the suspension setup is awful. My Cayenne Turbo feels much sportier when driven hard.
    Did I also mention the awful traction? The ESP jumps in all the time and the only way to have fun is to shut off the ESP all the time. Not a good thing at all because of the light rear of the SLK if you're not an experienced driver.

My wife wants the SLK55 AMG too because she doesn't like soft tops. I tried to persuade her to buy a 997 Cab or maybe the new 987 (Boxster) but it has to be a retractable hard top. The new SLK55 AMG looks really nice and I bet it is worth every Cent, especially compared to the somehow overpriced Boxster. But if looks are not the most important thing and if you want to have real fun driving this thing, there is no subsitute for a Porsche I'm afraid.

I'm pretty sure that my wife ends up with a SLK55 and as soon as it happens (her lease runs out in 22 months), I'll post a driving report. But til then, I'm pretty sure there will be enough owners who can report on their cars too.
    I hope AMG made the SLK55 a bit different than the ordinary SLK because I really expected something more "BMW Z4"-like when I testdrove the SLK200. But it didn't happen.

The F1 GP had a small interview on the track with Micheal Douglas, who had just been taken around the track, now I know it isn't stock but this is what he said....

"That AMG is once nice little hot car you have there, nice exhaust system"

So, if Mr. Douglas approves then the SLK55 must be good, no?

The F1 GP had a small interview on the track with Micheal Douglas, who had just been taken around the track, now I know it isn't stock but this is what he said....

In Antwort auf:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

I think you simply can't derivate Mr. Douglas' taste concerning cars from Mr. Douglas' taste concerning women.

In Antwort auf:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

I think you simply can't derivate Mr. Douglas' taste concerning cars from Mr. Douglas' taste concerning women.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

I really doubt that a SLK55 safety car (or whatever) has a stock exhaust. And the exhaust sound doesn't improve drive feel. I always prefer a GT3 with a vacuum cleaner exhaust sound over the SL55 with that sexy V8 growl. Driving a car means having fun DRIVING it, not being seen driving it.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

I really doubt that a SLK55 safety car (or whatever) has a stock exhaust. And the exhaust sound doesn't improve drive feel. I always prefer a GT3 with a vacuum cleaner exhaust sound over the SL55 with that sexy V8 growl. Driving a car means having fun DRIVING it, not being seen driving it.

RC to be honest, despite what anyone says, a Mercedes will "never" give you the feel of a Porsche or Ferrari or indeed a "sportscar".

It is just different philosophies. I know AMG is governed heavily by Mercedes limitations, and they could well implement an SMG remove weight and make the SL55, one helluva car. But as someone told me, for every Porsche customer they steal, they'll lose 4. So I guess its just different markets. I do wish sometimes that an AMG C55 could give M3 responsiveness and fun, but with that auto tranny, and general inferior handling dynamics could impair that completely.

Besides, when you drive a Mercedes its supposed to be in comfort and luxury, all AMG do is to make that car "sporty" without losing any o fthe comfort. Bigger wheels, bigger brakes, tauter suspension is the general tuning aside the engines. But generally, comfort is priority. the transmission is of course more sporty and responsive, but what you have is a Mercedes in a Versace sports jacket.

Compare that to Ferrari and Porsche who from teh outset set aside targets for weight distribution, weight itself, engine power, grip and suspension geometry. THEN build in comfort features like cruise control and CD player, but still keep weight to a minimum. Here you have a sportscar with comfort features, and not a comfortable car with sporty features like AMG.

Whle I applaud and respect immensely the attributes of Porsche and Ferrari. I don't expect that EVERY car manufacturer should make cars like that. Besides my love of mercedes pull me back to AMG, ao you don't completely have a boring Mercedes, but an "athletic" Mercedes.

The more I drive, the more I feel that usability comes into question, I mean a Ferrari and Porsche can only be enjoyed above 6000rpm on curvy roads, and the track, but sicne I have no experience I can't comment until I get my hands behind the wheel of these magnificent "sportscars". While the thought of clambering out of these cars ready to drive on Monday to work in my AMG, I would much prefer to get there in style and comfort with still my sporty ambitions, but in a controlled and dignified manner, relatively

All in all, AMG is focused on comfort, while you may be inclined to fit bigger rims, different shocks, lowering and engien tuning to make your AMG into a "Porsche", it'll never happen, because a car that left the factory as a Mercedes, will always be a Mercedes.

What can we learn from all of this? buy a sportscar for the weekend, and a comfortable and fast car for everyday use. Just don't expect to mix and match, otherwise you'll end up with the perfect car, how boring would that be?

RC to be honest, despite what anyone says, a Mercedes will "never" give you the feel of a Porsche or Ferrari or indeed a "sportscar".

It is just different philosophies. I know AMG is governed heavily by Mercedes limitations, and they could well implement an SMG remove weight and make the SL55, one helluva car. But as someone told me, for every Porsche customer they steal, they'll lose 4. So I guess its just different markets. I do wish sometimes that an AMG C55 could give M3 responsiveness and fun, but with that auto tranny, and general inferior handling dynamics could impair that completely.

Besides, when you drive a Mercedes its supposed to be in comfort and luxury, all AMG do is to make that car "sporty" without losing any o fthe comfort. Bigger wheels, bigger brakes, tauter suspension is the general tuning aside the engines. But generally, comfort is priority. the transmission is of course more sporty and responsive, but what you have is a Mercedes in a Versace sports jacket.

Compare that to Ferrari and Porsche who from teh outset set aside targets for weight distribution, weight itself, engine power, grip and suspension geometry. THEN build in comfort features like cruise control and CD player, but still keep weight to a minimum. Here you have a sportscar with comfort features, and not a comfortable car with sporty features like AMG.

Whle I applaud and respect immensely the attributes of Porsche and Ferrari. I don't expect that EVERY car manufacturer should make cars like that. Besides my love of mercedes pull me back to AMG, ao you don't completely have a boring Mercedes, but an "athletic" Mercedes.

The more I drive, the more I feel that usability comes into question, I mean a Ferrari and Porsche can only be enjoyed above 6000rpm on curvy roads, and the track, but sicne I have no experience I can't comment until I get my hands behind the wheel of these magnificent "sportscars". While the thought of clambering out of these cars ready to drive on Monday to work in my AMG, I would much prefer to get there in style and comfort with still my sporty ambitions, but in a controlled and dignified manner, relatively

All in all, AMG is focused on comfort, while you may be inclined to fit bigger rims, different shocks, lowering and engien tuning to make your AMG into a "Porsche", it'll never happen, because a car that left the factory as a Mercedes, will always be a Mercedes.

What can we learn from all of this? buy a sportscar for the weekend, and a comfortable and fast car for everyday use. Just don't expect to mix and match, otherwise you'll end up with the perfect car, how boring would that be?

RC,

Thank you very much for the message. You show some points I think are very real.

Related to this car, I was worried about it's handling, and you gave some orientation from your own expirience (suppose better than in the 200 kompressor, but still too "sweet"). And I am also concerned with traction, due of the design of the car (front engine, rear traction).

I would never consider the SL 55 AMG as a substitute of a Carrera, because I think they are in two different leagues, but still, I also think that it can have a high performance properly handled, and, considering its price and what the car is in itself a brilliant product.

...........In any case, a very interesting "complement" in the garage!

RC,

Thank you very much for the message. You show some points I think are very real.

Related to this car, I was worried about it's handling, and you gave some orientation from your own expirience (suppose better than in the 200 kompressor, but still too "sweet"). And I am also concerned with traction, due of the design of the car (front engine, rear traction).

I would never consider the SL 55 AMG as a substitute of a Carrera, because I think they are in two different leagues, but still, I also think that it can have a high performance properly handled, and, considering its price and what the car is in itself a brilliant product.

...........In any case, a very interesting "complement" in the garage!

Byron, of course the SLK55 is a very nice product and considering it's price tag, probably a unique one too.
    I just wonder why a LSD isn't at least an option on the long option list, it would enhance the driving fun a lot.

Byron, of course the SLK55 is a very nice product and considering it's price tag, probably a unique one too.
    I just wonder why a LSD isn't at least an option on the long option list, it would enhance the driving fun a lot.

Please excuse my ignorance, but, what de you mean with an LSD (maybe a limited differential)?

Please excuse my ignorance, but, what de you mean with an LSD (maybe a limited differential)?

Quote:
    Byron said:

LSD = Limited Slip Differential. It is available from AMG directly for the SL55 AMG, E55 AMG, CLK55 AMG but it isn't available for the "old" SLK32 AMG. I hope it will be different with the SLK55.

Quote:
    Byron said:

LSD = Limited Slip Differential. It is available from AMG directly for the SL55 AMG, E55 AMG, CLK55 AMG but it isn't available for the "old" SLK32 AMG. I hope it will be different with the SLK55.

I'm afraid you are right. I can't find it in the options list.

They should know this is a very important item for this type of car!

In the other hand, maybe we are in a too early stage of documentation, and this will appear soon.

If not, you can allways get one from Brabus.

I'm afraid you are right. I can't find it in the options list.

They should know this is a very important item for this type of car!

In the other hand, maybe we are in a too early stage of documentation, and this will appear soon.

If not, you can allways get one from Brabus.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    The F1 GP had a small interview on the track with Micheal Douglas, who had just been taken around the track

and you know who drove him around the montmelo track of the F1 GP in that car, smoking the tires and everything? Juan Carlos II, our king (959 owner and sportcar fan)

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    The F1 GP had a small interview on the track with Micheal Douglas, who had just been taken around the track

and you know who drove him around the montmelo track of the F1 GP in that car, smoking the tires and everything? Juan Carlos II, our king (959 owner and sportcar fan)

Any lap times?

I'm really curious!

Any lap times?

I'm really curious!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

Carlos, that wouldn't be YOU by any means...?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803008 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448489 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266021 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90010 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6496 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885564 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832938 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM