Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Wiedekings' Great Attitude - I Like It !

Wiedeking told Porsche shareholders that sports cars and sport utility vehicles such as Porsche's should be exempt from any new rules or subject to different regulations based on horsepower or fuel efficiency.

Porsche's most powerful vehicle, the Cayenne Turbo S SUV, seats five and generates 520 horsepower, more than twice as much as some 18-ton delivery trucks. With a price tag that starts at $111,600, it also produces 378 grams of CO2 a kilometer.

``Why does an SUV need 500 horsepower?'' Wiedeking said, reading a question from a shareholder. ``Because it's a blast.''

Perfect Answer

Here is the link to the quote: Bloomberg

Porsches output is so small in the scheme of things. It is ridiculous to moralize about its production. If the EU persists they will just kill their own industrial base and automotive technology leadership. Then how would EUcrats be paid? With Chinese money perhaps?

Re: Wiedekings' Great Attitude - I Like It !

First: This is great EU posturing! Lets propose this and we will feel good about ourselves. What they are proposing won't do squat on the world stage. If you are really serious about global warming and greenhouse gasses you must address the hundreds of coal burning power plants and the millions of cars that will be in use by the Chinese in the coming years. Otherwise you are just spitting in the wind.
    Second: Ferrari has said nothing as to how they may deal with this. You know for certain that the Italian government will craft an exemption for Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati. They have always viewed such as an integral component of national pride.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    ``Why does an SUV need 500 horsepower?'' Wiedeking said, reading a question from a shareholder. ``Because it's a blast.''

Awsome

By the way, the German Industry Minister caved in. The mandatory target will be 120g/km as planned.

I just means the price of P/F/L/MB will go up by Euro 5 to 10k. I suspect most customers will not care about such a price hike, especially if all competitors are equally hit.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    By the way, the German Industry Minister caved in. The mandatory target will be 120g/km as planned.

I just means the price of P/F/L/MB will go up by Euro 5 to 10k. I suspect most customers will not care about such a price hike, especially if all competitors are equally hit.

Global Warning Flapdoodle

Dr. Michael Colgan

Having been a consultant to several administrations of varying stripes, I have yet to meet a party in power willing to tell the public what a mess we have made of the environment. And they will not even whisper how that mess is causing much of the degenerative disease that plagues our Western lives.1,2 The business of government is foremost to stay in the business of government, and the truth would topple the strongest. Instead both public and media are fed carefully worded porkies, framed solely to make the ruling party look good and indict the parties in opposition. That's where we stand with global warming.

We Cannot Control the Environment

It is an arrogant conceit that human discovery of immense powers of destruction somehow confer powers of creation. You can fell the mightiest oak tree with a handful of plastic explosive. But science still hasn't the faintest idea how to create a single living blade of grass. Yet it is common conviction, and carefully conjured media madness, that we can create whole forests to replace those we destroy. Only the truly uninformed believe that a tree farm is a forest. We haven't an inkling how to make it so. Yet children are taught to plant seedlings and rejoice, deceived they are re-greening the Earth.

I wish I had the space to present the evidence of man's environmental ignorance. But one telling example will have to suffice. With great fanfare, and 200 million tax-free dollars seeded by Texas oil baron Ed Bass, in 1987 a series of interconnected sealed domes were built covering three acres of the Arizona desert, 20 minutes north of Tucson. For nearly a decade the Biosphere employed the best scientific minds in the world, to create a miniature Earth-like environment which would sustain a variety of plants, insects, food crops, fish, 25 species of animals and eight humans indefinitely, completely independent of the outside world for air, food and water. No expense was spared to make it as perfect an ecosystem as man knew how, complete with a 900,000 gallon little tidal sea. Anti-aging scientist Roy Walford spoke in glowing terms of the triumph of science before being sealed in with his seven carefully chosen companions on 26 September 1991.3 Media buzzed with speculations of vast cities in space built on similar lines. At last humans had triumphed over Nature and freed themselves from the confines of the third little rock from the sun.

Not a chance. Within weeks the oxygen inexplicably began to dwindle from the normal 21% in the air. Then the water became undrinkable and had to be laboriously filtered. Within months, 19 of the 25 animal species went "extinct". After a year the "Biospherians" were struggling to survive, and fighting like cats and dogs. Finally they had to crack the seal and let themselves out to save their sorry lives.3 Even so, Dr Walford developed the illness that finally killed him, some 20 years shy of his centenarian dreams.

Biosphere: Scientific Disgrace

In March 1994 they tried again with seven people, new animals and much hubris. Within months the whole thing failed miserably. The Biosphere became a scientific laughing stock, and was ditched forever. Taken over by Columbia University of New York in 1995, and renamed Biosphere 2, it reopened unsealed in November 1996, as an "Earth Systems Laboratory, with much humbler goals of studying microbial, plant and small animal life. Once again it still aimed to be the place that taught us how to understand the environment of Earth. There were even some desperate experiments on greenhouse gases in a bid to regain credibility.4 All the promises came to naught. No one had the knowledge even to approach the problem. Biosphere 2 today is little more than a student classroom and a lame tourist attraction. Latest word: it is slated for redevelopment as a new bedroom community for ever expanding Tucson.

Think about it. The best of modern science, and more money than you can poke a stick at, could not maintain eight people in a man-made environment. That tells us for sure that science is nowhere near to tackling the environment of the planet. Global warming was in the news when I was a child, before the Second World War. Then, of course, it was believed to be happening naturally, a swing of the temperature pendulum that has gone back and forth for millions of years. Now there are gazillions to be made by the financially cunning convincing the scientifically stupid that it is mostly man-made, and that they can do something to stop it.

Pork Barrel Hurricanes

I have spent 30 years working in favor of reducing our fossil fuel waste and the man-made spewing of toxic vapors and greenhouse gases into the air, but global warming is way beyond our ken. Real scientists, who have examined the temperature and weather calendar over millennia, bow their heads in humility before the might of the system that sustains us, and our helplessness before it. Meanwhile pork-barrel businessmen and their scientific toadies have leapt on the lucrative global warming wagon, and tied it to everything uncomfortable that the normal cycles of Nature throw at us, from floods and snow, to heat waves and cold snaps, to tidal changes and hurricanes.

Hurricanes!!? Visit the National Meteorological Office if you don't believe me, but hurricanes run in cycles too. They were big in the 1920s and 1930s, and again in the 1960s. Then they declined from 1970-1990. Now they are still on the upswing. But Katrina was not the biggest on record by far. The two strongest hurricanes were Labor Day 1935 that hit the Florida Keys, and Hurricane Camille in 1969. And the two most deadly were the Galvaston hurricane of 1900, and the Lake Okeechobee hurricane of 1928, the latter killing over 8,000 people, more than three times the death toll of Katrina5. Of course the evening news doesn't mention these things: it would reduce the drama of blaming global warming.

I will take anyone's bet, that, no matter if every government on Earth drastically cuts back emissions tomorrow, it will not make a whit of difference to the rising temperature in the next 40 years (about how much longer I hope to live). We have not the faintest notion how to alter the current warming trend by even one-tenth of one degree, and whatever action is taken will fail miserably, crooked folk

Human habitats and population distribution are much easier and cheaper to change than the planet. Better to focus our efforts on adapting to the extra heat, and the rising tides, and the mass migrations of starving people from countries near the Equator, all of which are happening now unplanned, while politicians argue about who did worst in failing to fulfill the Kyoto Protocol, and who has bullying rights in buying and selling "emissions credits". Meanwhile, If you live only house height above high water mark, it might be good thinking to move up the hill.

Anyone have any evidence that the EU 130g/km carbon limit for new cars will change the earths environment?

And with the demise of the BBS wheel company, will we see Fuchs on 911s again? Maybe a 130g/km mandated 2.2 flat six again also?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Anyone have any evidence that the EU 130g/km carbon limit for new cars will change the earths environment?

And with the demise of the BBS wheel company, will we see Fuchs on 911s again? Maybe a 130g/km mandated 2.2 flat six again also?

Isn't it 120 g/km? Or am I missing something? A simple fact is that even a 1.2-litre 60 bhp Fiat Punto doesn't fit the criteria. There are people who will gain tremendously from the whole global warming scare and those are the politicians ("Look at what we're doing to combat it.") and businesses that deal in this area.

Crash, the 130g/km carbon agreement was announced just today.

It may compel Porsche to make cars substantially lighter, maybe even make 1600cc 4cyl or 2200cc 6cyl engines again.
    Its a death sentence the common M96/97 engines.

30kg Adaptive Sport Seats, mega pizza sized brakes, tiptronic, air conditioning, and 19 inch wheels may
    likely go onto the luxury fat guy scrap heap also.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

It may compel Porsche to make cars substantially lighter, maybe even make 1600cc 4cyl or 2200cc 6cyl engines again.

30kg Adaptive Sport Seats, mega pizza sized brakes, tiptronic, air conditioning, and 19 inch wheels may
    likely go onto the luxury fat guy scrap heap also.

And so we will fall prey to the cult of the cuddley. I guess they will make it mandatory to hug a tree each day or face higher taxes if the trend continues .

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

It's pure speculation right now since we don't know yet how the rules will look like (from what I've understood there will be different categories of cars with different emission targets) - certainly there will be no 130g/km target for P/F-cars . We won't see a 2.4 L Carrera, but Porsche certainly will have to invest in fuel saving technology in order to comply with the rules.
    But I could imagine that the hp-war might come to an end. The only thing which you can bet on is that we'll pay more for our beloved hobby

Some tech features are discussed to become mandatory:
    TPMS (not for safety reasons, just due to the fact that over-/underinflated tires affect fuel consumption),
    A lamp or similar device showing the driver when he should switch gears in order to save fuel (I guess the lamp will illuminate the cockpit in my car all the time - hope it doesn't come with an acoustic signal also ).
    If Porsche would be forced to build lighter cars I definitely wouldn't mind

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

It's pure speculation right now since we don't know yet how the rules will look like (from what I've understood there will be different categories of cars with different emission targets) - certainly there will be no 130g/km target for P/F-cars . We won't see a 2.4 L Carrera, but Porsche certainly will have to invest in fuel saving technology in order to comply with the rules.
    But I could imagine that the hp-war might come to an end. The only thing which you can bet on is that we'll pay more for our beloved hobby

Some tech features are discussed to become mandatory:
    TPMS (not for safety reasons, just due to the fact that over-/underinflated tires affect fuel consumption),
    A lamp or similar device showing the driver when he should switch gears in order to save fuel (I guess the lamp will illuminate the cockpit in my car all the time - hope it doesn't come with an acoustic signal also ).
    If Porsche would be forced to build lighter cars I definitely wouldn't mind

Yes, making cars 200 kg lighter would certainly have a huge effect on both performance and consumption. But come on! A light, telling you that you're not saving fuel? I wager it will burn out in about 2 months .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    A light, telling you that you're not saving fuel? I wager it will burn out in about 2 months .

Actually you could buy VW Golfs ("Eco" version) with this device some 25 years ago I'm sure the new one will come in LED technology

Some Porsches and VWs in the 80's had "upshift" lights. On 944's a stupid red light would come on when you signaling you to shift up for optimum fuel consumption.

Yes Jim, that's exactly what I mean. Only us old lads can remember these things

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Yes Jim, that's exactly what I mean. Only us old lads can remember these things

Just reprogram it to light up at peak horsepower and it might actually have some sort of useful purpose . Really though, it isn't a bad idea at all, if you can turn it off.

Quote:
    Crash said:

Just reprogram it to light up at peak horsepower and it might actually have some sort of useful purpose .

Absolutely Though such a light resembles cars which are less known for fuel efficiency

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Some Porsches and VWs in the 80's had "upshift" lights. On 944's a stupid red light would come on when you signaling you to shift up for optimum fuel consumption.

My kids' Honda Civic Hybrid 5-speed has an upshift indicator arrow in the instrument cluster.

It seems to come on around 2,500 rpm.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

My kids' Honda Civic Hybrid 5-speed has an upshift indicator arrow in the instrument cluster.

It seems to come on around 2,500 rpm.

Hey Mike, if I am not mistaken you were considering the new Bentley convertible for your wife. I saw one in my club parking lot and it is gorgeous. It was powder blue with a dark blue top with a creme interior. The car is stunning. She would love it especially for Valentine day.

W8MM- your son drives a hybrid and you drive a CGT?:) does he get upset with you frequently for countering ALL of his efforts and then some?:)

Wiedekings answer thats just spot on , he knows how to deal with the government prats, we need more guys like him in the motor industry....

My 1984 mk2 golf gti had the upshift light, but i think most honda civics in the u.s have the aftermarket upshift lights fitted which only light when ones bouncing off the rev limiter

I don't think mike W8MM has a son, but i think if he did and he was out of town, he'd be paranoid that he would do what tom cruise did in risky business and take his fathers porsche out a porsche 928 in this case it would be mikes CGT and crash it in the cincinnati river.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765175 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437128 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261348 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258159 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82737 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877399 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809611 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM