Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

future of sportscarcompanys?

what thinks it of the future of the sportscar manufacturers? I mean, Porsche special, lamborghini and Ferrari lamborghini am under AUDI lamborghini in the future also alone would survive? I heard smells that perhaps VOLKSWAGEN wants to sell lamborghini also Porsche in the future to AUDI will belong that could means that perhaps Porsche divides engines or others used by AUDI? I hope the fact that the sportscar manufacturers in the future remain further independent, without influence of larger manufacturers such as VOLKSWAGEN or so also a topic is that hybrid or other alternative propulsion principles it in the future, if the market is so far to one hybrid Porsche or an electrical Ferrari will give or will become, the sportscar manufacturers broke to go? what thinks it?

Re: future of sportscarcompanys?

TVR, its getting harder and harder for sports car only manufacturers to remain afloat without being under the umbrella of a larger company. Thats just the state of things nowadays unfortunately. Ford, GM, VW, Renault, Fiat, Honda, etc make way more money selling regular cars than with halo cars / supercars. There just isn't that much money in selling low production or even moderate production sports cars. Porsche being the exception that proves the rule

Only time will tell if Noble, TVR, Marcos, Invicta, etc can stay afloat and seeing how most of them required some gazillionaire to come in and rescue them its doubtful

Porsche doesn't really make the Cayenne V6 engine...

TVR has already gone into administration AFAIK.

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Ford, GM, VW, Renault, Fiat, Honda, etc make way more money selling regular cars than with halo cars / supercars. There just isn't that much money in selling low production or even moderate production sports cars.

The sad fact is that Ford and GM don't seem to be making much many making ANY kind of car at the moment.
    Ironically, one of the reasons Ford is trying to sell Aston Martin (its halo low-production sportscar brand!) is that it's one of the few profitable subsidiary companies, and therefore one of its few saleable subsidiaries.

Ford may be having some trouble but GM can't be doing that bad if they're still ranked 1 in terms of sales in the US. (Read a stat that for this past quarter Toyota replaced Ford as #2) My point is still the same, the money isn't in sports cars, its in sedans, mini-vans, trucks, etc.

In a perfect world, high perf. sport cars would be banned. They make no sense on public roads. They have no utilitarian purpose other than to entertain moderately well off men/woman stuck in adolesence. Their thrills can be provided by allowing these cars ONLY in a track environment.

The world is catching on to what these cars represent. With all the sophisticated monitoring devices being employed now and in the future, it will be a matter of time when we all concluded these cars are just not worth it.

Just what is a sports car? A self bought trophy in most cases now.

Sports cars use to have a duality. The same car was used for road and track - hence the name of that magazine.

Now however with the pampered, the well heeled with less skills or ambition or time than checkbook, they have morphed into miniature Cadillac Eldorados. Little more than branded lifestyle goods available for lease. Oh look at me,
    I have a 180mph car in a 60mph world.(Germans excused)

There are really few new sports cars sold now. The GT3 is one, the Elise is another. Other than those you have to you have to seek out the obscure - like Nobles and Caterhams etc.

So whats the future? More lifestyle coupes for brand slaves that are tethered to the law with gps speed control/use tax? Soak the rich additional carbon tax? Thats all coming.

You can thank Nick for it all

No offense Nick, but you make a perfect example here. One one hand you can profess all things Ferrari are wonderful. Then in the same breath you demand their exclusivity and even next their banishment for a "perfect world." Have you considered becoming a professional ballroom dancing judge? No logic is needed in that "sport".

Its all a bit like AL Gore proclaiming Global Warning is coming and then seeing him board a charted jet or arrive by Limo. The double standards that apply to the rich and famous are amazing.

This is a very intricate and convoluted issue that is raised, whose scope goes beyond sheer luxury goods and into the nature of humanity.

In Nick's "Perfect World" example, and demonstrative luxury goods (mansions, elite watches, cars, wine, fine dining, furniture, boats etc...) lacks true utilitarian purpose. Yet throughout our Western history, there has been a value placed upon quality. Often times, quality is associated with scarcity.

A bottle of Petrus may run you 1100 bucks and on an off year, it may not be worth it, but to some, it is a raison d'etre. We're talking about an equivalency far beyond liquid gold. Conversely, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini may seem exhibitionist or unconventionally irrelevant.

Before we decide to rid ourselves of these ammenities, lets think what the world would be like without them. Further, we have no one to blame than our own Western capitalist history.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    In a perfect world, high perf. sport cars would be banned. They make no sense on public roads. They have no utilitarian purpose other than to entertain moderately well off men/woman stuck in adolesence. Their thrills can be provided by allowing these cars ONLY in a track environment.

The world is catching on to what these cars represent. With all the sophisticated monitoring devices being employed now and in the future, it will be a matter of time when we all concluded these cars are just not worth it.

Nick, are you getting ready to go to trial...sounds like you are building a case.lol Lots of things don't make sense, thats why there are Kia and Porsches and I will never own a Kia.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said: There are really few new sports cars sold now. The GT3 is one, the Elise is another. Other than those you have to you have to seek out the obscure - like Nobles and Caterhams etc.

Its all a bit like AL Gore proclaiming Global Warning is coming and then seeing him board a charted jet or arrive by Limo. The double standards that apply to the rich and famous are amazing.

Yes, Noble, Caterham, Lotus but there are many others too whom very few may have heard of (we are nation of car enthusiasts who start building cars in the wooden shed/garage at the bottom of our back gardens) : Marcos, Ariel, Radical, Ascari, Vanwall (to name a few) plus there are various companies that supply kit cars here in the UK. Alas, poor TVR has gone down the drain

About your second point, Prince Charles was recently in a pickle in the UK media when he announced he would fly all the way to North America to receive an environmental award. Ironic huh? Environmental groups said he should accept the award by live video link. He made up some excuse about having to visit other people/places too so he had to go in person.

Wait are you guys saying that politicians are hypocritical???

Easy, Prince Charles has and the Royals are a "interesting" bunch. They seem more mentally fragile than stalwart.

I suspect that if a foreign gentleman, representing himself as the new comte de normandie, showed up with a clipboard and a moving van at buckingham palace that the royals would easily pack off to some moldy hut in Germany.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    I suspect that if a foreign gentleman, representing himself as the new comte de normandie, showed up with a clipboard and a moving van at buckingham palace that the royals would easily pack off to some moldy hut in Germany.

Jim, you just know that that post was rediculous.

It would take at least three removal trucks.

Fritz, Its not too ridiculous of a post. I do suggest they only be allowed one removal truck. The fare for three trucks on the Dover to Calais ferry might be beyond their means when this happens.

Can the Windsors, aka the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha Posse, camp at your place till things get sorted out? Have any free space on your lawn for them?

I am not at all pessimistic about the future of the sports car. While, yes, individual carmakers will come and go, and there will be the political rumblings from the sky-is-falling environmental crowd who try to convince the world that the internal combustion engine will make the globe hot-as-hell (although notice in their latest "proclamation," they were only 90% "certain" that global "warming" is manmade , if the debate on the anthropogenic cause is "over," then why the 10% hedging of bets? -easy, their "evidence" is only more theory), the popularity of NASCAR in the USA and F1 in Europe show that beyond transportation for the masses, the sports car will always have its niche market, and will never be obsolete.

We may feel pressure from government and society, but I bet we will withstand it.

" they were only 90% "certain" that global "warming" is manmade, if the debate on the anthropogenic cause is "over," then why the 10% hedging of bets? -easy, their "evidence" is only more theory"

Yes, if true, why not a stronger call to action?

I would much rather ride a horse to a bar, at least a horse can find its way home. Bring back hitching posts and rails NOW!

I am ready to contribute to saving the planet. Maybe the horses on Porsche and Ferrari emblems are a sign of the future.

I would imagine that sports car contribute very little to almost nothing with regard to global warming. Think about it...most sports cars today get very good gas mileage, are safe, and usually light weight. Also, how many sports cars are on the road compared to SUV's?

It's the SUV's and trucks that are causing problems, but they are more socially accepted (kind of like alcohol vs. marijuana). It's OK to own a 15/23mpg SUV, but not a 400hp 17/26mpg sports car?!?!

I find it mind boggling (and down right ignorant), when someone points to my Corvette and says, "that thing must guzzle gas and cost a fortune". I then proceed to ask what that person drives, and it's usually an Escalade, Yukon or some luxury V8 SUV. I tell them a stock Corvette with 400hp gets 19/28mpg. I also tell them a brand new base Corvette can be bought for $40k, while that huge SUV costs easily over $50k. They look at me like I am crazy.

Banning sports cars or pulling them from a manufacturer's line-up will not help green house emmisions. I am sure for every sports car sold there are 300 SUV's sold. I don't even understand how anyone could point to the modern sports car and call it environmentally unfriendly while there are millions and millions of trucks, SUV's and diesel big rigs running around. It seems like their priorities are a little backwards.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Think about it...most sports cars today get very good gas mileage

Reminds me of this old Porsche ad from the 70s praising the fuel efficiency of their cars

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760107 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434060 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259861 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257005 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80655 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870941 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806060 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM