Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Corvette Z06 Vs. Porsche (997) Turbo

http://www.autoclips.net/video/5537

Re: Corvette Z06 Vs. Porsche (997) Turbo

Streetfire link:

Z06 vs. 997 TT

That settles it.

GM is better than Porsche

Yeah..., Uh huh... .

I don't understand
    see this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyKVCx-VO-U

I Belive those Japanese guyz.... trying German and American cars... not Americans trying American and German cars lol

Quote:
    OuTLaW_Rules said:
    I Belive those Japanes guyz.... trying German and American cars... not Americans trying American and German cars lol

Yeah, the Japanese guys seemed like they were just having fun. The original video sounded like the corvette guy had an ax to grind.

Still, I'd never buy a GM product.

Always this comparison between the Turbo and the Z06. How come all other sportscars are compared to the 911? Because it is the benchmark, the sportscar icon, the envy of other carmakers, the ... yes, I could go on for a while. The video is a dragrace, it is stupid, it is a show, it does not say anything wheather one car is better than the other. For me it is about passion and feeling, and you cannot measure that on 400m straight tarmac. Thus, bye bye Z06... there is no substitute - amen...

Well yeehaw and golleee.

this particular vette owner sounds like what most people think vette owners sound like.

Re: Well yeehaw and golleee.

Hasn't anyone learned that all threads like this end up the exact same way, with stupid mudslinging and namecalling. We've all heard the (incorrect stereotype) that Corvette owners must be simple rednecks and that Porsche owners must be snobby jerks with frilly sweaters tied around their waist (also incorrect stereotype) I'd have thought that this horse had been beat to death. Appreciate all high performance cars like a car fanatic should

Quote:
    Fadis_z said:
    Streetfire link:

Z06 vs. 997 TT

Bone stock my ass (can i say ass on rennteam )

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Hasn't anyone learned that all threads like this end up the exact same way, with stupid mudslinging and namecalling.

I don't do that. I merely say I why I wouldn't want a Corvette over a Porsche.

I also keep in mind that, say, my cousin or my kid may someday get a Corvette and I would be happy that he's happy with his choice and was enjoying it.

I wouldn't give him any negative crap about it. Matter of fact I would want to drive it just for fun.

In the end I know I have the superior car (and have paid for that superiority) and the Corvette is an amazingly good value.

There's also something odd and contradictory in claiming to be "America's Sportscar" because America didn't invent the sports car, they invented the muscle car. The Europeans invented the high performance two seater with latest technology components.

Oops, but I digress... .

Fun huh?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Hasn't anyone learned that all threads like this end up the exact same way, with stupid mudslinging and namecalling.

I also keep in mind that, say, my cousin or my kid may someday get a Corvette and I would be happy that he's happy with his choice and was enjoying it.

I wouldn't give him any negative crap about it. Matter of fact I would want to drive it just for fun.

In the end I know I have the superior car (and have paid for that superiority) and the Corvette is an amazingly good value.

There's also something odd and contradictory in claiming to be "America's Sportscar" because America didn't invent the sports car, they invented the muscle car. The Europeans invented the high performance two seater with latest technology components.

Oops, but I digress... .

Fun huh?

MMD you have shown yourself to be the exception that proves the rule. You don't by chance spend hours arguing with 00_Z06 over at 6speedonline.com do you?

Curious though, what does being America's sportscar have to do with Europe? I thought there was this big puddle of water called the Atlantic separating the two?

I didn't know that a rear engined car was the latest technology components!

I appreciate the Z06 and hate stereotypes

but why are most vette owners named Jethro or Billy Bob or Yo Tony? And why do they come to this board and post drag race videos?

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:

Oops, but I digress... .

Fun huh?

MMD you have shown yourself to be the exception that proves the rule. You don't by chance spend hours arguing with 00_Z06 over at 6speedonline.com do you?

Curious though, what does being America's sportscar have to do with Europe? I thought there was this big puddle of water called the Atlantic separating the two?

Hey, I'm not name calling nor mudslinging.

Doesn't "America's Sportscar" originally mean huge-engined Corvettes and Cobras, muscle cars with brakes, engines and suspensions that came from run-of-the-mill regular production cars?

Why compare them to "real" sportscars, like Ferrari, Aston, or Alfa, or MG, Austin Healey, or Porsche, etc. In their day they were totally innovative and built with latest racing technology.

Corvette and other Ford/GM products are in a different class yet always crash the party and want to be compared to the European "originals."

No big whoop, no need to go nuts, just different car cultures, different origins. I see the Corvette as having made great catch-up strides as a perennial "wannabe."

You must be joking! MGs? Alfas? Austins? They were budget sports cars with little or no innovation! Get real.

I own both cars a 07Z and a 997TT and there is no comparison the TT is a far better car.

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    I own both cars a 07Z and a 997TT and there is no comparison the TT is a far better car.

It should be for double the price . The Corvette, however, certainly offers a great package for a good price.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:

Oops, but I digress... .

Fun huh?

Hey, I'm not name calling nor mudslinging.

Doesn't "America's Sportscar" originally mean huge-engined Corvettes and Cobras, muscle cars with brakes, engines and suspensions that came from run-of-the-mill regular production cars?

Why compare them to "real" sportscars, like Ferrari, Aston, or Alfa, or MG, Austin Healey, or Porsche, etc. In their day they were totally innovative and built with latest racing technology.

Corvette and other Ford/GM products are in a different class yet always crash the party and want to be compared to the European "originals."

No big whoop, no need to go nuts, just different car cultures, different origins. I see the Corvette as having made great catch-up strides as a perennial "wannabe."

To answer your questions, no, no and no. The Corvette has never shared a platform with the Camaro (to my knowledge, which is an actual muscle car since the Corvette isn't and its apparent you didn't know that) and the Cobra i'm not so sure. I can't tell if you're talking about the Shelby Cobra which is a two seat sports car with no roof or the Mustang Cobra which is an actual muscle car as well. See the definition of a muscle car is sort of one of those gray hard to define things like the term GT car. But the general criteria/definition of a muscle car is a fairly heavy (although not always), two door, large engined car with a full back seat. Now thats not a be all end all by any means. The Camaro, Mustang, SuperBee, Charger, Torino all pretty much fall into this category. What's even more baffling is that all of those cars (the few that are still in production today) have changed so much since the 'muscle car' era of the 60s that they're almost completely different cars. It wasn't even until just recently in fact that the Mustang went back to its muscle roots and this craze for retro styling began.

Now the Corvette was originally a roadster only that didn't even have windows and it has never had a back seat. It wasn't until a few years into production that a coupe was offered at all actually and it became an actual all weather sports car (the 53, 54 were never really meant to go in the rain).

Now if you're talking about the same Austin Healy, MG and Alfa i'm thinking of then you're probably referring to smaller two seat sports cars with about the same power as today's Mazda Miata. Interesting you use those companies to prove your point because as far as I understood Alfa Romeo is the only one of those companies still producing cars today and they haven't even been sold in the US for at least a decade.

So really, what's your point MMD? What I gather from your astute stereotypical biased analysis is that you grew up in the 60s and your mind has somehow remained there. This actually might explain your use of tiny two seat out of production british convertibles and large four seat out of production 'muscle' cars to prove your point. Either that or you grew up in the 90s and have watched American Graffiti one to many times on AMC.

And i've never met anyone named Jethro or Billy Bob. That would be like me assuming that all 911 owners are named Jaque, or Phillipe with emphasis on the last e...seriously who comes up with this stuff?

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    You must be joking! MGs? Alfas? Austins? They were budget sports cars with little or no innovation! Get real.

Reread history. Alfas came out with ALOT of stuff you wouldn't find on a street car, four wheel disks, overhead cams, engine oil coolers, sway bars: directly from Alfa's extensive racing experience.

Guys used to drive these cars to work and then race them around a track on the weekends. Yeah, they were "budget" compared to Aston and Ferrari but they came innovation-equipped (as much as po$$ible) to race.

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:

So really, what's your point MMD?

My point is that GM and Porsche products come from different heritages (American and European).

Though Corvette and Carerra may be closer performance-wise today than they ever were they have an very different aura, or image with historical baggage which is inextricably bound to them.

I'm trying to figure out why, in terms of the car's origins, I attitudinally speaking would never want to own a Corvette. BTW, looks-wise I know exactly why I wouldn't want to own one.

Okay? Everybody relax... . It's just a hobby.

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:

I assume you bought the TT for all around performance. The Z06 beats it in every performance category.

If you paid an additional $70,000 for the Porsche name I ask you where is the value? The 997TT will depreciate faster than the Z06.

If quality is what your referring to I have no doubt the Z06 longevity will be as good if not better than the TT.

If tracking the car is a consideration then I am puzzled. Porsche voids the warranty for tracking and GM does not.

Now why is the 997TT a far better car?

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    You must be joking! Austins? They were budget sports cars with little or no innovation! Get real.

Austin Allegro's were awesome , they went like ""sh*t off shovel""......

Here we go again another pi$$ing match. I have seen the 997TT beating the Z06 and I have seen the Z06 beating the 997TT. In all honesty if is faster it can't be that much faster as shown on this video. Read RC's review of the 997TT vs. Z06, RC is very fair and knowledgable. Now I personallly would not buy the vette if it was even 5 times faster and 1/5 of the 997TT's price. I respect the Z06 for what it can do but it's not a P-car

sorry Nick - tongue in cheek

I assume you bought the 430 for all around performance. The Z06 beats it in every performance category.

If you paid an additional $170,000 for the Ferrari name I ask you where is the value? The 430 will depreciate faster than the Z06 (sic - if the Ferrari is driven).

If quality is what your referring to I have no doubt the Z06 longevity will be as good if not better than the 430.

If tracking the car is a consideration then I am puzzled. Ferrari voids the warranty for tracking and GM does not.

Now why is the Ferrari a far better car?

Re: sorry Nick - tongue in cheek

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    I assume you bought the 430 for all around performance. The Z06 beats it in every performance category.

If you paid an additional $170,000 for the Ferrari name I ask you where is the value? The 430 will depreciate faster than the Z06 (sic - if the Ferrari is driven).

If quality is what your referring to I have no doubt the Z06 longevity will be as good if not better than the 430.

If tracking the car is a consideration then I am puzzled. Ferrari voids the warranty for tracking and GM does not.

The car does not cost me one cent to own.

Ferrari does not void the warranty for track work.

It provides a driving experience experienced by very few because of its exclusivity.

Yet, the 430 IS NOT a far better car.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

Because it's more exclusive. That is, you'll only see one F430 parked out front of a Starbucks at any one time.

I thought I'd do you a favor and answer for you, Nick.

Who cares if Z06 beats 997TT, F430 or Gallardo. It may be the best car depending on price/performance issue.

Yeat it may be slighltly beat all of them but i will be happier and much excited if am in the driving seat of Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini. And i think there are a lot of people thinking like me....

And i am sure there are many vette drivers want to be in Ferrari or Porsche's driver seat but i dont think there are many F,P,L drivers want to be in vette's driver seat than their cars.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

The car does not cost me one cent to own.

Ferrari does not void the warranty for track work.

It provides a driving experience experienced by very few because of its exclusivity.

Yet, the 430 IS NOT a far better car.

Was there not an initial entry fee of premium pricing or long wait time into the "Ferrari Ponzi" scheme to start your status as a repeat Ferrari buyer, that should be factored into ownership cost and is just another form of depreciation.

Re: I appreciate the Z06 and hate stereotypes

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    but why are most vette owners named Jethro or Billy Bob or Yo Tony? And why do they come to this board and post drag race videos?

Alan, there is Mario Andretti, he is a Corvette owner.

However, all of this Corvette verus Porsche stuff is just desperate jockeying for second or third place bragging rights.

Its obvious that the new Jaq XKR is on its way to being the superior GT/Sportscar.

Watch this:110mph Power Slides

Want more power? Chip it and you can get another 100ft lbs of Torque.

The party is over. FIA GT3 class winner this year? Likely the Apex prepped Jag XKR.

Goodluck to GM and Porsche. Enjoy yesterdays news

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690797 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410060 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256152 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235372 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858723 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775018 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM