Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Becoming disillusioned

I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that although P-cars are great to drive, they are a complete pain in the arse to own. Don't get me wrong - I love them and they are (mostly) great pieces of engineering, but why is nothing ever easy in this life?

I had my car in to the dealer (PCEL) last November for its 2yr service and the 111-point inspection for the extended warranty . I handed over the cash for the warranty and went happily on my way.

Last week I received a phone call from my dealer. Apparently they'd forgotten to process the extended warranty and had lost the paperwork. I took the car in last Thursday for yet another warranty inspection, and as I dropped it off I mentioned a slight creaking noise I could hear from the front somewhere (not sure where) when I was exiting my underground car park with tight steering lock. To be honest I thought it was trim or fascia. I also mentioned the numerous recalls/workshop campaign stuff which was outstanding from the service.

Later that day I recieved another call. Apparently the creaking was being caused by a fault in the front suspension linkages. Good job this was covered by my extended warranty I thought.

No.

Apparently the manufacturer's warranty (which had just expired) would have covered the failure, but the Porsche approved extended warranty does not. If I end up paying for the repair (which incidentally is nothing to do with the creaking strut/bush problem for which there is a TSB), it will cost me Pounds600.

I'd just like to stress to all P-car owners the importance of getting absolutely every last niggle sorted out before your manufacturer's warranty expires. If you fail to do so you may end up in my situation with a very expensive extended warranty which doesn't cover failure which come to light a matter of weeks after the original warranty expires.

I'm hoping for some good will from Porsche UK, but I'm not holding my breath. The whole situation is very unsatisfactory, and until the repair is carried out, I'm reluctant to drive the car hard or over long distances.

A two year old car, which cost Pounds75,000, and only has 12,000 miles on the clock should not be afflicted by suspension failures, and more to the point we (the owners) should not be expected to pay for the repairs - especially when we've extended the warranty in the false belief that such failures would be covered. This can only be a manufacturing fault or a design flaw.

Everyone be warned.

Gaz

Re: Becoming disillusioned

Is that the warranty on that side of the pond? We get 50K miles or 4 years in the States.
    Sorry to hear they jerked you around.

Got my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully they will give you a little grace period.

They are definitely a PITA to own. My ___CD___ player wouldn't work at delivery. Would have cost me us$2500 (2.5K) to fix! THAT was a wake up call.

It's frightening how much these cars can cost. Depressing because there are so many more interesting and fun ways to blow money.

I hadn't realised the warranty terms were so different between this side of the atlantic and yours.

To be honest, the 2yrs which Porsche offers here is among the shortest in the UK. That, coupled with the huge price differential between here and the US (especially with the exchange rate where it is), makes the cost of ownership in Great Britain perhaps the most expensive in the world.

Gaz

Gaz, good luck on getting this resolved with your dealer. It would be interesting to see if their 111 point inspection actually included the offending front linkage. If it did, you may have a case that they missed something that should have been fixed under the original warranty.

These cars are complex pieces of engineering that require competent dealers. The better the dealer, the better the ownership experience. If the dealer staff is sloppy or dishonest, the entire ownership experience suffers.

In my case, my local Porsche dealer is excellent and the overall ownership experience outstanding. The same can not be said about my Infiniti dealer that has totaly destroyed the ownership experience of a car that has been fault free. In the end it all comes down to the integrity and competence of the dealer and staff.

Because of your inspection in November, I think you have a good case that the fault was present and not picked up by the dealer. I little bit of pressure should see the dealer and porsche pick up the tab.

I have lived in Britain and understand that the UK is not actually the best place in the world for customer service. But if you push the right buttons, they will reluctantly make things right.

Quote:
    Gaz said:
    That, coupled with the huge price differential between here and the US (especially with the exchange rate where it is), makes the cost of ownership in Great Britain perhaps the most expensive in the world.

Gaz

I trust you have not priced them in Asia, both in terms of purchase price and cost of ownership.....

Hope you get it sorted out. I think they should make good on this and will if you pleasantly push it. Seems like another case for dumping the car once the factory warranty is close to ending.

Dealers never cease to shock me with their sheer incompetence. Just when you think they can't cock things up any worse than they already have, they sink to even lower depths. Hope you find a good way through this situation Gaz.

Gaz,

The miles on your P seem kind of low, leaving me to believe that you are not driving it every day. I used my P everyday, except for the 4 times that it was in the shop sitting for 5-20 days waiting for repair. Each time I got the car back after the extended visits, there would be some sort of front suspension rubbing/creaking sound, during parking maneuvers. The sound ranged from a slight annoyance, to loud with steering wheel feed back. Each time, the problem went away after a day or three of driving. The service center could not figure out the problem, but if I wasn't under warranty, I'm sure that they would have found it for $1200 too.

Good Luck,

jb

Pardon my ignorance, but what about the TSB for creaking strut/bush? My steering creeks almost always when parking... got so used to it I have not thought about it more... until I read you post.

a 2 year warranty is a joke in the UK when car companys like Huyndai are offering a 5 year warranty

Is Porsche not any more confident in its own product to offer more than a 2 year guarantee with it

Quote:
    Silver_Surfer said:
    a 2 year warranty is a joke in the UK when car companys like Huyndai are offering a 5 year warranty

Is Porsche not any more confident in its own product to offer more than a 2 year guarantee with it

Hear hear!!!

Same here in the land of Oz. But all the European cars are the same (BMW, Ferrari, Audi etc). The Japanese give four to five years.

We seem powerless to do anything about it.

What are the warranty periods from Porsche in other countries?

Quote:
    It would be interesting to see if their 111 point inspection actually included the offending front linkage. If it did, you may have a case that they missed something that should have been fixed under the original warranty.

I've already tried that one - the warranty inspection is only for parts that it covers it seems. Parts which aren't covered aren't inspected. Kind of predictable alas.

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Pardon my ignorance, but what about the TSB for creaking strut/bush? My steering creeks almost always when parking... got so used to it I have not thought about it more... until I read you post.

Tried that one as well. My dealer reckons this is a different issue - I explicitly quoted the TSB to him and he acknowledged that it existed, but insisted that this is a different issue

Quote:
    jboyko said:
    Gaz,

The miles on your P seem kind of low, leaving me to believe that you are not driving it every day. I used my P everyday, except for the 4 times that it was in the shop sitting for 5-20 days waiting for repair. Each time I got the car back after the extended visits, there would be some sort of front suspension rubbing/creaking sound, during parking maneuvers. The sound ranged from a slight annoyance, to loud with steering wheel feed back. Each time, the problem went away after a day or three of driving. The service center could not figure out the problem, but if I wasn't under warranty, I'm sure that they would have found it for $1200 too.

Good Luck,

jb

Now this is kind of interesting. I'm thinking that regardless of whether Porsche cough up for this one, when I take the car in next time I'll insist that they get it up on a lift and show me exactly which parts are failing and the evidence on which they're basing their diagnosis.

The conspiracy theory in all of this is of course that the dealer is trying to make back some of the money they've lost on having to do the inspection twice (their fault of course). Let's not forget the labour cost of carrying out a 111-point inspection. At Pounds100 per hour...

Hear hear!!!

Same here in the land of Oz. But all the European cars are the same (BMW, Ferrari, Audi etc). The Japanese give four to five years.

What are the warranty periods from Porsche in other countries?

Here in the US , my 997 S warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever occurs first.
    I am surprised that warranty coverage varies that much from one country to another .
    Now I know why there is a statement in my warranty booklet which states that if the car is taken out of the country , the US warranty no longer applies .
    They must really like us in Germany . First the cars are a LOT cheaper, come with more options standard , and have better warranties.

By the way, my wifes '03 Audi A-4 just blew it's engine a few weeks ago ( due to sludge build up )@ 66,000 miles ,one year and 16,000 miles PAST the warranty . Audi replaced the engine without a question . All they wanted was proof that the oil was changed as required. Since ALL maintenance for the first 50 k miles was free and performed at the dealer and I had a receipt for the last oil change at ~ 58,000 miles at a reputable shop, it was done without a hassle .
    She even got a free loaner for the three weeks it took to replace the engine .
    Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with them .

Quote:
    Silver_Surfer said:

It's actually reverse psychology. Manufacturers with a poor reputation offer longer warranties. Those who don't have anything to prove don't bother.

Whether the car has a 2 year or a 4 year warrantee does not change the fact that if the car is unreliable, you're paying for it in one way or the other.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775089 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440534 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262148 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260381 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84868 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879561 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814432 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM