Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Took the plunge!

With waiting lists on high end cars being ridiculously long, I thought now would be a good time to look into it for a delivery several months later.

The requirements were vague, GT car with sports car attribute, not the other way round. Loads of choice which is great. The decision took a while.

First out were Pagani and Bugatti, too expensive, no network, reduced usability, etc.
    Then Lamborghini, quickly ruled out too, not a big fan of the Over the top styling and more importantly, very reduced network.
    SLR722, great GT IMO but been advised against it for its auto gearbox which would not be much fun. Extremely expensive too.
    Porsche Turbo, fantastic GT but too similar to my current 997. Different performance indeed but same styling in and out.

Ferrari then. I've always been quite close to Ferrari, some very good friends work for the local distributor so I'm often over there sharing an espresso rather than Porsche where they are too busy selling SUVs. It's a fact of the industry, nothing wrong with that.

The model choice was also easy. I've always been a Porsche fan but nonetheless, I like F cars, they are undoubtably very special.
    For me, what makes a Ferrari a Ferrari? Without a doubt, its engine. And THE Ferrari road car engine through its history is the V12.

599GTB then!

RC was the first friend I asked an opinion to and he disagreed, seeing me more in a 430 or a Gallardo, saying the GTB is definitly too GT for me. Fair enough, I don't discard a GT3 to compliment the car later. I believe GTB/ GT3(RS) would be a fine modern car combo.

430 is great but I don't like the front, nor the rear styling, and the engine is fantastic but it needs a lot of revs to express itself.
    The 599 fits more the GT requirements I am after. It is a fantastic GT car. Only major downsides I can find it are first, a ridiculous appetite for petrol, couple of owners have told me they rarely do more than 400 km on a full 105L tank! And second, the big question mark on passive safety. I guess I'll have to take a leap of faith here... (although the alu cabin structure seems well made, I'll have to check that one out with their engineers at the factory).

Here are the specs:

Grigio Silverstone, black interior with grey stitching, 20in challenge rims, CCM brakes with alu colored callipers, full carbon interior, roof and rear lugage shelf in leather, battery pack, daytona electric seats, F shields on the sides, electrochromatic mirrors, parking sensors rear and front, Bose sound system and Ipod kit.

I had a good look at the car last week in great details, it's gorgeous in person, much better than pictures. Loads of luggage space, very important for me as I love going on transeuropean trips, and great multimedia system, it's the latest Becker unit with memory card slot, ipod kit, blutooth phone connection, Porsche should take a lesson here.

Quoted delivery time, 25 months, but could be taken down to around 16 if not more, great stuff.
    I've only the had the Carrera for a year so it fits perfectly.
    Ferrari didn't give my any discount, not surprised here.
    They have however invited me and my partner to a 2 day Pilota Ferrari course in Fiorano, gift value of almost 10,000 Euros! Italians do have a sense of style! I will go sometime this summer along with a factory visit.

Now the wait...

Re: Took the plunge!

Great 599 For me red callipers please because the callipers have to contrast the colours of the car IMO

599 is a very fast car and for drive it safe a driving course is "necessary" (it depends from the skill of the driver). Anyway great gift

I don't understand 25 or 16 months?

Wo-ho-ho-hoooo Francois, well done and welcome to Maranello!

599 GTB Fiorano is definetely the best GT currently available and a hell of a car. Congrats!

And now comes the waiting...

Hey, congrats Francois!! Great choice. Enjoy your X51 beauty while you wait...

Quote:
    mikigta said:
    I don't understand 25 or 16 months?

Quoted 25 on the order form. But was then told it could be anything between 12 and 18 months thanks to contacts.
    Fine by me!

I initially went for yellow callipers. But one of the two 599 available in the garage that day, one was black with yellow callipers and shields.
    Believe it or not, it's not the same yellow!
    Red would be a third color on top of the yellow shields and the grey paint, so alu colored it is. Still not 100% sure though. I have til three months before completion of the car change any option.

I will test the whole range when in Fiorano later this year so looking forward to discover the front mid-engined dynamics.

I won't use the 599 as a track car though, way too heavy.

Congrats Francoise, nice choice!!!

Félicitation, c'est une fameuse montée en gamme.

Do you intend to drive the ferrari every day, is it going to be your daily?

Great car, best color for it, mind blowing perfs, what else could you want?

Quote:
    art.italy said:
    Congrats Francoise, nice choice!!!

francoisE ???

Franch is girl

congrats !

but 16 months waiting, I would NEVER wait that long !
    If you have contacts, they can do better ! try !

Congrats Fanch!!! Can't wait until the day she arrives!

Fanch 599

WoW Fancho !!!!

I thought you where going for the f430, was very surprised about the 599GTB

I love the looks of the 599, I think it looks WAY better with the challenge stradale wheels, it will be an enzo in the streets !!!

Anyway, I cant belive ferrari dealers dont take any discount, it is crazy !!!, I know the demand of this model is ultra high, but the 599 is not what we call a CHEAP car !!!!

Congrats again Fancho !!!, 599GTB WOW!!!!

Discount? Jeez that's one thing you'll never hear over here. Congrats on the car.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Discount? Jeez that's one thing you'll never hear over here. Congrats on the car.

Join the club! At least you get discount in some places - over here it's unheard of!

congrats!

Fanch, this is great news. Congratulations

Seems that 599 drivers are about to gain the Rennteam majority soon

BTW: Regarding interior color I also intended to go for black (maybe with deviated stitching) initially. However, after sitting in a car with tan interior (black carpets, black contrasts of carbon packages) I made up my mind that the 599 will probably be my first car with tan interior.

If possible you might seek the opportunity to sit in a 599 with tan leather (goes with blue or black exterior, maybe even with Grigio Silverstone which you seem to like most).

BTW: Regarding the track capabilities of the 599 I would like to cite one of my Ferrari contacts (he drove them all... on the track... 288GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, 599GTB and many other). He claims that after driving the F40 in Mugello (back at the time of the car's introduction) after some laps "something was missing" and that he did not have the same feeling when driving the 599 on the same track for an entire day recently. He summarized, that the 599 is an excellent track car and went as far as to say that even after a day of hard driving the car did not show any signs of wear (tires, breaks, etc.). He believes the 599 is an outstanding car - also for track days

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    congrats !

but 16 months waiting, I would NEVER wait that long !
    If you have contacts, they can do better ! try !

Indeed very long.
    24 months is normal waiting time at the moment.
    So 16 is already a good effort.
    Ferrari's main production are the V8 and they have quotas.
    I'm hopeful on 12 months but even so, it's not that bad, I've only had the 911 for a year so that is why I ordered it now, I don't intend on driving the 599 for at least a year.
    Plus by summer 08 delivery, the mechanic told me that all the first MY niggles will be sorted.

Quote:
    mikigta said:
    Fanch 599

Very nice picture! Thank you!
    Indeed exactly that combo down to the callipers.
    I love it! Thanks again.

Thank you for your notes.
    I'll look into tan interior but it must get dirty quite quick. I'll check anyway thanks.
    Re track days, I've also read in the press it's a surprisingly agile car, but it still weighs 1700 kgs!
    Better leave the track to cars like 911 GT3 or 430 CS IMO.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Patriek said:

Plus by summer 08 delivery, the mechanic told me that all the first MY niggles will be sorted.

That is very true. My dealer confirmed to me that Ferrari is working on several technical issues still. It always takes some time (with such small production numbers) to get close to optimum production quality.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    I'll look into tan interior but it must get dirty quite quick. I'll check anyway thanks.
    Re track days, I've also read in the press it's a surprisingly agile car, but it still weighs 1700 kgs!

The "dirt problem" also concerned me (and was the primary reason why I never seriously considered tan in previous years).

However, my dealer told me that (a) tan is much less susceptible to dirt than beige or sand colored beige and (b) that a regular cleaning during service intervals would be more than enough to keep the leather like new. I also read on some forums that tan should get a nice "patina" over the mid to long term. In summary, I think, it is worth trying...

The reason for risking it is simple: when I sat in this tan interior the impression was really excellent. So bright and high-end looking. Black, in my opinion, does not look 50% as nice. That was the point when I made up my mind and switched to tan (in my case with Daytona Black as the exterior color - although, I am still considered a dark blue, maybe even Pozzi, as an alternative)

Félicitation François

Your car does ( will) look fantastic! A very good compromise between GT and sport.
    I did drive quite a few times the 550 Maranello at the time and it was a great car to do long distances .. The 599 seems to be even so much better.

One question... will you be driving it a lot in London or Paris ? It is a very big car !!

Fanch youbuy this lugguage set?

No I didn't. Very expensive IMO and I don't like the styling.
    Boot is surprisingly large and will swallow any kind of luggage really.
    Very useable rear shelf too.
    I remember checking out the front boot of a V12 Murcielago, very disappointing. F430 boot space is also surprisingly large!

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    One question... will you be driving it a lot in London or Paris ? It is a very big car !!

Both I guess. But more GB and F rather than London and Paris. It will certainly not be a daily driver.

My 977 is in London right now and it's utterly useless. Roads are bad quality and very heavy traffic, I'm driving back to frogland next week for a day at Dijon Prenois on the 10th!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

Both I guess. But more GB and F rather than London and Paris. It will certainly not be a daily driver.

My 977 is in London right now and it's utterly useless. Roads are bad quality and very heavy traffic, I'm driving back to frogland next week for a day at Dijon Prenois on the 10th!

I had some scary moments with the Maranello on small country roads when coming out of corners and other cars where coming...

I will be in Dijon on the 5th of April
    Enjoy it and hope we can meet once this summer

congrats on a great choice - suddenly the 3.5 months I'm waiting for my F430 doesn't seem so bad!

I was tempted by the 599 but as this is my first I thought the F430 was a good start but according to a friend who loves his Ferrari's this will not be the end! Looking forward to seeing some pics of yours

Quote:
    cortonpark said:
    I was tempted by the 599 but as this is my first I thought the F430 was a good start but according to a friend who loves his Ferrari's this will not be the end!

Definetely.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

The "dirt problem" also concerned me (and was the primary reason why I never seriously considered tan in previous years).

However, my dealer told me that (a) tan is much less susceptible to dirt than beige or sand colored beige and (b) that a regular cleaning during service intervals would be more than enough to keep the leather like new. I also read on some forums that tan should get a nice "patina" over the mid to long term. In summary, I think, it is worth trying...

The reason for risking it is simple: when I sat in this tan interior the impression was really excellent. So bright and high-end looking. Black, in my opinion, does not look 50% as nice. That was the point when I made up my mind and switched to tan (in my case with Daytona Black as the exterior color - although, I am still considered a dark blue, maybe even Pozzi, as an alternative)

Did you also consider cuoio as interior colour? A little bit darker than tan, so even more stain-resistant, but still light enough to give you a whole new impression of an interior in comparison to black.

In fact I'm thinking about cuoio as my next interior colour, with black carpets and accents like dash board as in your case. Cuoio should also work with rosso corsa.

Congrats fanch very nice specs .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763808 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436155 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260887 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257855 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82579 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876569 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808516 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM