Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Alonso fires first salvo at Valencia

Maybe McLaren will actually win a race this year, but they still have to make the car run for more than 10 laps before breaking down

Quote:
    Fernando Alonso threw down the gauntlet to his F1 title rivals as the first major test of 2007 got underway at Valencia on Tuesday.
    The Spaniard lapped nearly 1s faster than Kimi Raikkonen

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38375

Re: Alonso fires first salvo at Valencia

Quote:
    temm said:
    Maybe McLaren will actually win a race this year, but they still have to make the car run for more than 10 laps before breaking down

Also, Alonso had an incident with Ferrari's test driver who was going significantly slower but would not move out of the way and let him pass, on a training session, so Alonso tired of it made a "Schummacher" style pass and threw him out of the road. The test driver got to "walk" back to the pits

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    temm said:

Also, Alonso had an incident with Ferrari's test driver who was going significantly slower but would not move out of the way and let him pass, on a training session, so Alonso tired of it made a "Schummacher" style pass and threw him out of the road. The test driver got to "walk" back to the pits

Yes, got to get the most out of that engine before it explodes . I really wonder how reliable the McLarens are going to be this year.

Carlos, that Ferrari test driver - was it Luca Badoer? I would have thought he's much too experienced to be doing something so childish. How pathetic!

Yeah temm, I was pleasantly surprised to read this story. I tell you guys, last couple of years, I've grown fed up with hearing nothing but the French and Italian national anthems. Hopefully, we'll hear the British one soon

But like Carlos said, McLaren have forgotten how to finish races

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Yeah temm, I was pleasantly surprised to read this story. I tell you guys, last couple of years, I've grown fed up with hearing nothing but the French and Italian national anthems. Hopefully, we'll hear the British one soon

But like Carlos said, McLaren have forgotten how to finish races

Yes, but have you seen their new factory and motorhome(s)?
    The best in the business....

Yep - I have but I wouldn't call their Woking HQ a 'factory'. It looks more like a hi-tech science institute on a university campus. Curved, futuristic building with floor to ceiling glass, grassy hills, lakes etc. Really impressive stuff!

My point exactly, maybe they should have spent more money on engine reliability then on grassy hills and lakes

But the engine comes from Mercedes I think poor old Norbert Haug used up all his excuses last year apologising for the reliability of that Merc engine...

At least one thing's for sure, after last year's luck, McLaren can only go up!

It's interesting though that Kimi had to stop testing at Valencia after around 47 laps with an oil leak. Seems like his bad luck is following him to Ferrari

I just realised I'm in Seville on the weekend of the Australian GP. Great....better set the video to tape it

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    temm said:

Hmmm, I guess Ferrari will take "revenge" during the F1-season.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    But the engine comes from Mercedes I think poor old Norbert Haug used up all his excuses last year apologising for the reliability of that Merc engine...

If you want to be a nitpicker, the engines used to come from Ilmor, or Mercedes-Ilmor after MB bought the company

But I think we can agree that El Ron (Dennis) maybe hasn't focused on the really important things the last few years, like making the car work and go fast, hopefully at the same time

Ilmor - gosh, now there's a name from the past Great memory temm!

For sure temm, McLaren has been going through one of its worst periods in recent memory IMO. And yes, you're right, it has felt like McLaren has taken its eye off the ball. Maybe this year, we'll see a comeback.

I am wondering about Renault. I think they are going to struggle really really badly this year. The pressure will just keep ratcheting up with each race that they don't win. Unfortunately, IMO their drivers just aren't going to deliver.

I think BMW and Honda could be dark horses...Toyota and Williams IMO will continue to disappoint.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Carlos, that Ferrari test driver - was it Luca Badoer?

That was the guy! unfortunately Alonso had to go back to the pits afterwards. But then went back out. I can already see the sparks flying in this coming season between McLaren and Ferrari

Quote:
    Rossi said:Hmmm, I guess Ferrari will take "revenge" during the F1-season.

Kimi is a quiet one but Massa will gladly pick up that glove fight! fight! fight!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I am wondering about Renault. I think they are going to struggle really really badly this year. The pressure will just keep ratcheting up with each race that they don't win. Unfortunately, IMO their drivers just aren't going to

The Renautls were 1,3 off Alonso's lap time. Fisichella is disapointing, seems Briatore told him to shape up yesterday, and today turns out that Nelson Picket posted better laps than Fisico. Which is good news IMO, I like to see younger drivers doing well, and puts Fisico is a weaker position to be the main Renault driver.

Interestingly I believe Alonso was the driver that did most laps, somtehing like 120 and 1500km in these two days, and the McLaren wasn't charcoal at the end of the day, so maybe there is hope and things are changing. They were the fastest and ran the farthest today. Also Alonso is notorious for being able to manage very well the engine and race pace during the races so its a good combination.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:Hmmm, I guess Ferrari will take "revenge" during the F1-season.

Kimi is a quiet one but Massa will gladly pick up that glove fight! fight! fight!

Yeah, it could be an interesting season...

Today, Wednesday, Alonso is fastest again raking up 76 more laps with the McLaren. But this time Fisico stepped up to the plate and managed 2nd only 0.15 behind Alonso, though had to retire in the end with a broken the engine. Kimi was overall 4th at 0.3sec form Alonso.

Next week we will have the teams testing at Jerez

I'm shaking my hands!

I feel a nice battle will take place this year (of course, if reliability of Maclaren allows)...can't wait to the first GP.

The "pieces" are all in very interesting positions!

Quote:
    Byron said:
    I'm shaking my hands!

I feel a nice battle will take place this year (of course, if reliability of Maclaren allows)...can't wait to the first GP.

The "pieces" are all in very interesting positions!

IMO F1 cars should be toughened up a bit and drivers drive more like they do in NASCAR (without the oval stuff). That would make for so much fun .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    IMO F1 cars should be toughened up a bit and drivers drive more like they do in NASCAR (without the oval stuff). That would make for so much fun .

I think the F1 cars should have to incorporate all around bumpers-defenses like Go-Karts, around the wheels as well, and have them "duke" it out in the corners unfortunately the F1 drivers today are nothing like those brave souls of the past (drum brakes, no seatbelts, leather helmets, doing 120mph on B roads), today they are bunch overpaid spoiled sissies...

As the saying goes: When the green flag drops the BS stops!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I think the F1 cars should have to incorporate all around bumpers-defenses like Go-Karts, around the wheels as well, and have them "duke" it out in the corners unfortunately the F1 drivers today are nothing like those brave souls of the past (drum brakes, no seatbelts, leather helmets, doing 120mph on B roads), today they are bunch overpaid spoiled sissies...

Great minds think alike, it would seem . Think Villeneuve-Arnoux at Dijon in 1979.

Youtube

Crash, amazing footage. I still love seeing that!

Quote:
    But this time Fisico stepped up to the plate and managed 2nd only 0.15 behind Alonso, though had to retire in the end with a broken the engine.

I'm a Fisico fan myself, and every time he does something good, his car blows up. So many times in the past couple of years, if he was doing better or maybe upstaging Alonso, he would instantly have reliability problems. Kinda makes you wonder

Kimi is The Man!
    Fisichella and Biaggi have same problems: they always said that the car(or bike)had some problems etc etc....Kovalainen will be faster than Fisico

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Crash, amazing footage. I still love seeing that!

Makes two of us .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Great minds think alike, it would seem . Think Villeneuve-Arnoux at Dijon in 1979.

Youtube

Now THATS what I'm talking about! thanks for that footage
    Makes current F1 look like a parody.

Quote:
    911fan said:
    Quote:
    But this time Fisico stepped up to the plate and managed 2nd only 0.15 behind Alonso, though had to retire in the end with a broken the engine.

I'm a Fisico fan myself, and every time he does something good, his car blows up. So many times in the past couple of years, if he was doing better or maybe upstaging Alonso, he would instantly have reliability problems. Kinda makes you wonder

Are you saying that Fisichella had zero reliability problems in last two years, because I cant remember when he was upstaging Alonso ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM