Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 face lift - Some new pictures

"hard" vs. "soft" D shape:

Facelifted on top, our cars on bottom

The larger air intakes are an improvement, however the signal markers do not appear to flow that well design wise with the front end. IMO they should have placed the signal markers within the headlight housing and increased the size of the air intakes.

The LED's are long over due. The rear lights have added extra angles to the car that visually IMO does not flow properly with cars lines.
    I agree with others they should have just created a car wide rear light straight across and for nostalgic purposes had the word Porsche written within the lights.

Quote:
    GRN2RSMO said:

I agree with others they should have just created a car wide rear light straight across and for nostalgic purposes had the word Porsche written within the lights.

Was that earlier light band there to fulfil the third brake light requirement, or was that before the DOT requirement?

IMHO, it doesn't make *enough* sense to put it there again if the third light, just under rear window sill, is still required.

Well, for whatever these shots may or may not be worth... If that's the upcoming facelift, I'm glad I took the plunge back in '05!!! Especially from the rear... The tail lamps look designed by committee, totally confused, un-flowing, un-graceful, un-aggressive...

Sometimes, when you really get something "right", the corporate honchos force you to change for change's sake, and there isn't really anywhere better to go, but you go there anyhow because the market demands new-ness when they're plunking down new-car-money and facing new-car-depreciation...

The new rear end takes what was crisp and athletic, that had "tension".... and turns it into Droopy Dog..
    /uploads/315809-droopydog.jpg

Basically, it will look like this

Quote:
    amazon said:
    Basically, it will look like this

Well..., you have to consider side view too... .

I do think the lower part of the bumper with the quad exhausts protruding looks much better on the current model.

Quote:
    Wild-Speed said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    I can assure you guys the new 4S will go back to its roots!
    Like so:

I sure hope so

hey buddy!
    good to see you're still producing wonderful Porsche photoshops. I believe we fully agree that our version of the rear would look magnificent!
    I'd make the middle strip wider though so it aligns with the top of the existing rear lights!

Keep up the good work!

Quote:
    Eden said:
    I do think the lower part of the bumper with the quad exhausts protruding looks much better on the current model.

Mee too. Simpler is better. The more BS fluting and flaring the less interested I get.

BTW, the "Y" quads are needless complexities compared to simple ovals; which kinda pi**ed me off.

But what's the point?

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    I can assure you guys the new 4S will go back to its roots!
    Like so:

The power won't be different from the other "S" variants. The shape won't be different from other "4" variants. So the only thing that will make it a 4S is a red reflective strip across the back of the car? If that's what you mean by "roots" then I will take a different branch, thank you!

Re: But what's the point?

it seems with almost any model face lift design details begin to look contrived...imo, the 997 apparently wont be an exception

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    it seems with almost any model face lift design details begin to look contrived...imo, the 997 apparently wont be an exception

This facelift is absolutely redundant and negligible!

Quote:
    Rossi said:

Eaaaaasy Buddy... .

It's all about creating a buzz. I see it in the same strategic vein as the red, yellow or black calipers; the oval or quad taip pipes; the 19 vs. the 18 wheels; etc.; etc..

How else are insecure guys supposed to rate themselves among themselves, if Porsche doesn't give some emblems or obvious "credentials" that can be measured.

Now everybody will have another way to instantly know who has the better car: if you have the newer facelifted car it's better.

When I first saw red calipers I got grossed out knowing the intention of Porsche. Freekin' ugly things calipers but yet how are guys going to know who's car is better if they're not painted yellow or red? It is ABSURD to paint UGLY calipers bright colors!

I "hate" this BS one-upsmanship that Porsche elects to incite and attempts to thrive on.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    roadtrip said:

It is under the hood that it matters most this time. More HP (not enough of course) and PDK hopefully. Bluetooth and iPod would be very warmly received also.

Black wheels agin------I cannot get used to that or like them. Under motion, there is nothing but a black hole where the wheel should be........well created wheels in the silver area provide visual stimuli, offer exciting patterns, are like fine shoes on the lady or gent-------deutiful and exotic shoes on a lady set off the whol ensemble----and so do wheels on a Carrera-----

I never will get it---ayone explain what is good about black wheels?

hmm, we've seen several photoshops of the rear with the camo removed. Could anybody be so kind as to remove the camo from the foglights in the front?
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Joost said:
    hmm, we've seen several photoshops of the rear with the camo removed. Could anybody be so kind as to remove the camo from the foglights in the front?
    -Joost-

Maybe this helps a little... .

good job...could we just add the porsche crest on the hood?

in distance, i am afraid it may look a bit boxsterish??

The Boxster will change too with bigger and more oval intakes.Check the Boxster Forum.

It is defenitively not an improvement I can't imagine that this will be the face lift

The front is more aggressive than the first!!

I like this Facelift!!

Thanks a lot for the photoshop!
    What strikes me, is that all the facelifted models have the directionals, or whatever thes little lamps may be, in the intakes: New cayennes, the boxster, now the new 911... I really dont like it that way, so for me all the new models look less beautiful. Bigger intakes is good, but they shouldn't put the lights in there
    -Joost-

Thanks so much for the photo shop. I think the car looks better from all angles. Any similarities to the Boxster are minimal, imo. Very fresh from ther rear and much more aggressive from the front. Now if they will only add about 20 bhp and DI!

Quote:
    Joost said:
    Thanks a lot for the photoshop!

My pleasure!

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    It is defenitively not an improvement I can't imagine that this will be the face lift

Doesn't have to be an improvement. Just has to be different.

I've said it a dozen times, sorry, but here I go again: they want to dump the trendy pointy tailights and do what the other trendy-styling car mfgrs are doing: rounding over the points.

I like the pre-facelift design. Of course we need to see the facelifted 911s upclose..

Facelift not for me, I'm afraid - I think they have made too many compromises - trying to use the narrower LEDs to bring the rear lights back up to meet the line of the engine cover creates a negative feel IMHO. I think as some others have said that it would have been better to bring the engine covera a little lower and possibly reduce the thickness of the rear light cluster so these elements could meet.

The front looks more aggressive, I agree - not sure if better, though - the lower cluster now looks a bit high to me.

Hmmmm.

Quote:
    SonOfStig said:

The front looks more aggressive, I agree - not sure if better, though - the lower cluster now looks a bit high to me.

Hmmmm.

Yeah, I seriously don't get why the car I'm driving has to look more and more aggressive with each passing model year.

Why is "aggressive" a positive sought-after aspect to the way a car looks? Must be a prediliction of the mass-market mentality.

It has to do with "road rage" at least indirectly. Either you can be a menace behind the wheel (aggressive driver) or are trying to scare away, or otherwise intimidate,
    actual road-rage-infected drivers you share the road with.

PLEASE PORSCHE: don't make future cars look EVEN more aggressive than you've already done. They're aggressive enough now. I do NOT want to compete with the macho Ford Mustang BS look.

So they made the front look more like a Boxster? That's progress?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762254 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435255 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260461 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257512 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80934 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872146 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807523 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM