Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

V fast down country lanes!

Not much in the way of details and it doesnt say if it was a 997 or 996 or whatever but bloody hell thats fast for those kind of roads!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/6312673.stm

Re: V fast down country lanes!

He had better get himself a lawyer. He could be looking at a few months jail time (if there are any places in jail still available [It's a UK joke: a domestic scandal over the fact that our jails are full] plus a hefty fine, a 12 month ban and having to retake his theory test and practical driving test again.

Little more info here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/speed/default.asp?storyId=15789

Yikes, on country roads! 172mph is INSANE on a track (for amateurs). What's the next step up from "insane?" Maybe he'll find out in jail.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Yikes, on country roads! 172mph is INSANE on a track (for amateurs). What's the next step up from "insane?" Maybe he'll find out in jail.

It isn't insane. If visibility is good and the road surface is fine (meaning no irregularities or, god forbit, potholes), then you can go as fast as on highways, as long as the road is straight. I did 160 mph on a rural road (sunny day, wide-open field all around and no other cars than mine on a 3-mile stretch, but still), so arresting somebody over this is a pure US/UK phenomenon.

Looking at google earth; there are a couple of dual carriageway sections on the A420 around Abingdon. Quite straight too.

I guess it wouldn't take much of a stretch to get a new Turbo up to 172mph. Given the standing start I did at Millbrook proving track, I would say that a Turbo could achieve that easily within a mile straight. The first dual carriageway A420 section is about 2 miles between a roundabout and normal single carriageway.

Obviously I don't condone such actions, but I would be interested to know just how 'insane' this actually was ie. how on the edge of the cars abilities he was, what were the driving conditions and what other cars were on the road with him?

Abingdon is about 25 miles from where I live. I am just trying to recall the driving conditions last Sat. I drove down the M4 Sat night and it was dry and about 5 degrees at midnight. I assume this speeding would have been done late at night to minimize traffic...

And remember, as Richard Hammond has now categorically proven - 'speed kills'!

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Looking at google earth; there are a couple of dual carriageway sections on the A420 around Abingdon. Quite straight too.

I guess it wouldn't take much of a stretch to get a new Turbo up to 172mph.

Given the standing start I did at Millbrook proving track, I would say that a Turbo could achieve that easily within a mile straight. The first dual carriageway A420 section is about 2 miles between a roundabout and normal single carriageway.

Obviously I don't condone such actions, but I would be interested to know just how 'insane' this actually was ie. how on the edge of the cars abilities he was, what were the driving conditions and what other cars were on the road with him?

And remember, as Richard Hammond has now categorically proven - 'speed kills'!

Look, if the road is straight and the visibility is good, there is nothing wrong with it. It's just the masses being led to believe that speed kills by money-hungry bureaucrats. The fact that much more could've been done by improving people's driving skills (correct use of turn signals and so forth) but ISN'T, due to profit, is downright criminal in my book.

Maybe the lawyer will tell the judge that his client personally walked the roadway to check for debris and defects in the pavement.

Also his client closed the road to other drivers and obviously insured every measure was taken to eliminate pedestrians, pets, animals from the high-speed run.

I have no problem doing 120-130mph on a section of interstate highway that is clean and green and rural.

But there's a hell of a lot of difference between 130mph and the top speed of (170-180mph) these cars. The amount of kinetic energy difference between 100 and 180 is "exponential."

I label it insane because just kill or seriously injure one person and EVERYTHING you've worked for your entire life is f'ing gone! The odds are against getting away without causing injury or death. The "rewards" of maxing out the car on public highway are so pitiful in comparision to several lifetimes of suffering that can result.

Sorry to sound like an ahole..., just try to keep it down to an occasional "sane" 130mph in the passing lane of a vacant interstate.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Look, if the road is straight and the visibility is good, there is nothing wrong with it. It's just the masses being led to believe that speed kills by money-hungry bureaucrats. The fact that much more could've been done by improving people's driving skills (correct use of turn signals and so forth) but ISN'T, due to profit, is downright criminal in my book.

I'm 100% with you!

Perception of speed being the root of all evil just shows what a bunch of morons we have running this country at times. I actually signed a HUGE petition which was submitted to the government to abolish speed cameras a couple of months back. The resulting official response was laughable:

Safety cameras have been regularly proven to reduce speeds and casualties at camera sites. The independent four-year evaluation report of the National Safety Camera Programme assessed the effectiveness of cameras and found that after allowing for the long term trend, there was a 42 per cent reduction in death and injury at camera sites, including a reduction of over 100 fatalities per year. This and previous reports are available on the Department for Transport website.

Between 2003 and 2005 there was an increase in the number of dedicated traffic officers in England and Wales. The latest and most complete information we have on the number of dedicated traffic officers shows that in 2002-03 there were 6,902, in 2003-04 there were 6,702 and in 2004-05 there were 7,104 traffic officers. In addition, any police officer, whether or not engaged in specific traffic duties, can enforce road traffic legislation when necessary. Since coming to office, the Government has increased the number of police officers by over 14,000.

Cameras do not replace roads policing officers; they supplement their work through their continuous deterrent effect and by enabling more effective and simpler enforcement of speeding and red-light jumping, so that police can focus their road policing function on other offending.

The petition provided the real data, and then the government response is to just regurgitate the nonsense that we have just told them is incorrect!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Maybe the lawyer will tell the judge that his client personally walked the roadway to check for debris and defects in the pavement.

Also his client closed the road to other drivers and obviously insured every measure was taken to eliminate pedestrians, pets, animals from the high-speed run.

I have no problem doing 120-130mph on a section of interstate highway that is clean and green and rural.

But there's a hell of a lot of difference between 130mph and the top speed of (170-180mph) these cars. The amount of kinetic energy difference between 100 and 180 is "exponential."

I label it insane because just kill or seriously injure one person and EVERYTHING you've worked for your entire life is f'ing gone! The odds are against getting away without causing injury or death. The "rewards" of maxing out the car on public highway are so pitiful in comparision to several lifetimes of suffering that can result.

Sorry to sound like an ahole..., just try to keep it down to an occasional "sane" 130mph in the passing lane of a vacant interstate.

No, you certainly are right to play it safe. However, if you check the thread at Pistonheads, you'll see that several members who know that particular stretch describe it as straight, with good surface and visibility and no side roads connecting to it for several miles. Since it was probably also empty at the time, I don't see it as a big offence. They'll probably just release a paedophile or two to make room for him.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I'm 100% with you!

Perception of speed being the root of all evil just shows what a bunch of morons we have running this country at times. I actually signed a HUGE petition which was submitted to the government to abolish speed cameras a couple of months back. The resulting official response was laughable:

Safety cameras have been regularly proven to reduce speeds and casualties at camera sites. The independent four-year evaluation report of the National Safety Camera Programme assessed the effectiveness of cameras and found that after allowing for the long term trend, there was a 42 per cent reduction in death and injury at camera sites, including a reduction of over 100 fatalities per year. This and previous reports are available on the Department for Transport website.

Between 2003 and 2005 there was an increase in the number of dedicated traffic officers in England and Wales. The latest and most complete information we have on the number of dedicated traffic officers shows that in 2002-03 there were 6,902, in 2003-04 there were 6,702 and in 2004-05 there were 7,104 traffic officers. In addition, any police officer, whether or not engaged in specific traffic duties, can enforce road traffic legislation when necessary. Since coming to office, the Government has increased the number of police officers by over 14,000.

Cameras do not replace roads policing officers; they supplement their work through their continuous deterrent effect and by enabling more effective and simpler enforcement of speeding and red-light jumping, so that police can focus their road policing function on other offending.

The petition provided the real data, and then the government response is to just regurgitate the nonsense that we have just told them is incorrect!

I think this government's time is up. With the poodle soon to be gone, I doubt Brownie will be able to keep himself in power. I just hope that the Torries have more sympathy for your cause.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Well put!

I was going to say something clever but in a nutshell..be sensible and if possible...go to a track!

I agree with MMD. Fact is, sh*t happens. Regardless of how straight, how much visibility, how smooth, etc. At 170+ you have precious little time to deal with the unexpected. And as MMD says, one injury or death causes a billionfold misery compared to the rush of the run. Those of you who are surgeons familiar with victims of crashes dying in the ER know what I mean. If you need speed that much, just go to a track. 110-130 on an expressway - no problem under ideal conditions since these roads are designed for speed anyway, but 170+ on a rural surface road? Stupid if you ask me, unless its blocked off and checked.

Quote:
    KJB said:
    I agree with MMD. Fact is, sh*t happens. Regardless of how straight, how much visibility, how smooth, etc. At 170+ you have precious little time to deal with the unexpected. And as MMD says, one injury or death causes a billionfold misery compared to the rush of the run. Those of you who are surgeons familiar with victims of crashes dying in the ER know what I mean. If you need speed that much, just go to a track. 110-130 on an expressway - no problem under ideal conditions since these roads are designed for speed anyway, but 170+ on a rural surface road? Stupid if you ask me, unless its blocked off and checked.

Well said; also, any accid on public roads related to reckless driving w/fatalities/serious injuries entails poss criminal charges and massive civil litig risk...speeding tickets/lic suspension are least of concerns, even if one walks away uninjured post-collision.....

However, tracks are not risk-free or necessarily lower-risk than a responsible driver driving spiritedly on a public road.....on tracks, guys lacking self-control/good judgement can exceed their driving capabilities; mech/tire failures occur; most guys can't afford to buy out track to avoid other, risk-seeking/poor-judgement drivers; most tracks are in Podunk, so nearest trauma ctrs are often sketchy; any accid on track involving other drivers entails similar litig risk as on public roads; etc etc....

Gotta figure out which speeds match road/traffic conds and one's own risk/reward sweet spot.....let Darwinian selection prevail

Turns out that the 911 in question was the black 997 Turbo demo car from my local OPC! They sold it to the car lease company a few weeks ago, and then they saw it in the news the other day.

Really weird as I have been out in that car several times...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Turns out that the 911 in question was the black 997 Turbo demo car from my local OPC! They sold it to the car lease company a few weeks ago, and then they saw it in the news the other day.

Really weird as I have been out in that car several times...

That means you must be a dangerous driver and need to have your license taken away from you. And a speed camera installed at your front gate . It would've been much better if he had made a video of the run, just to show the judge that it isn't as scary as all the tree huggers make it out to be.

Way too many things can happen to a car at those speeds to make things go badly fast. He could have a blowout or a small animal could dart in front of the car. When you're in an uncontrolled environment, which a surface street is, you're in the hands of fate. (On the autobahn, it's a wholly different matter, where you have controlled access, trained drivers, better run-offs, etc.)

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Way too many things can happen to a car at those speeds to make things go badly fast. He could have a blowout or a small animal could dart in front of the car. When you're in an uncontrolled environment, which a surface street is, you're in the hands of fate. (On the autobahn, it's a wholly different matter, where you have controlled access, trained drivers, better run-offs, etc.)

Still, he is only endangering himself on an empty road. What is the state going to do? Send him to jail for creating an opportunity for dying and thus not paying any more taxes to them? And however you slice it, there are things that can happen even well below the speed limit that could kill you, so the issue is, for the most part, moot.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    And however you slice it, there are things that can happen even well below the speed limit that could kill you, so the issue is, for the most part, moot.

I just want to suggest that the difference between 80 and 170 mph is huge. Braking distance is *not* merely doubled nor is the amount of energy in a crash just doubled.

The other thing is human reaction time stays the same, whereas "closing distances" are foreshortened.

Think about driving 20 mph in a parkinglot vs 40mph. Though 20 mph would hardly be noticed, most people would know it's extremely negligent to be doing 40 in a parkinglot.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    And however you slice it, there are things that can happen even well below the speed limit that could kill you, so the issue is, for the most part, moot.

I just want to suggest that the difference between 80 and 170 mph is huge. Braking distance is *not* merely doubled nor is the amount of energy in a crash just doubled.

The other thing is human reaction time stays the same, whereas "closing distances" are foreshortened.

Think about driving 20 mph in a parkinglot vs 40mph. Though 20 mph would hardly be noticed, most people would know it's extremely negligent to be doing 40 in a parkinglot.

Yes, that's my point. 40 mph is really HUGE in a crowded parking lot. I'm just saying that I feel a lot safer driving on some back roads at 120+ mph than I do on highways with even moderate traffic. As long as you know the road and the visibility is good for at least several seconds in advance, there are no problems (talking about a reasonably empty road). However, I understand your concerns perfectly (170 mph is nothing to sneeze at even on a highway).

Quote:
    Crash said:
    [

Yes, that's my point.

It's funny a one to nail down. We've got the equipment, I don't drink coffee or talk on cell phone or even listen to music when I'm "speeding." All I do is pay attention and look out for things that can go wrong. Seriously: therefore I "should" (yeah right) be allowed to exceed posted speedlimit compared to some ditzy woman or elderly guy both of whom are not as "equipped."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688463 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408667 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234753 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65374 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773300 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM