Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Poll: Should buyers disclose purchase details?

I read in another forum where someone had thought they had gotten a great deal.He ended his post with the comment: do not ask for any specifics.I questioned him about this and he seemed a little annoyed about how I could not understand why this was so.

When I purchased my Porsche, I scanned through the forums I could find and found purchase info that assisted me in making a "fair" offer. Many of the posts II read did not disclose many specifics, but really just disclosed discount percentages. I personally do not see the harm in this. Others seem that disclosing this information is not proper and possibly harmful towards the company.

Re: Poll: Should buyers disclose purchase details?

None of the above IMO.

No details: there's no way of telling if someone is talking BS with this option.

Vague specifics: oxymoron the potential for confusing is just as great as the potential for helping.

Detailed specifics: this may be harmful for the dealer since PAG does monitor forums like these. Dealers may not fully explain the discounts they are offering customers and they can get into trouble.

I think people could disclose 'selected specifics' i.e. what is disclosed is accurate but maybe incriminating details are not disclosed.

Just my 2 cents

There are very few ways in the USA to get honest information about what's going on. E.g. there are certain things that NEVER make the news media that effect each and every American directly that we never hear about (but Europeans do).

Now I should be worried about people sharing information that might effect a company's bottom line by one-millionth of a percent? RUBBISH!

Don't forget that there's no set price for a car. Dealers will charge "dumber" buyers twice as much if they can.

Scheesch.

I think we should discolose the prices we get our cars from to each other.

I don't see why the selling price of a car should be private.

The problem will be in knowing who is telling the truth, an who is lying.

Keep in mind that all Rennteam members are not just buyers. Some are dealers, themselves.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Keep in mind that all Rennteam members are not just buyers. Some are dealers, themselves.

So what?

IMHO if you start talking about pricing than you should share the details, otherwise if you're not comfortbale doing so keep your trap shut in the first place.

While easy_rider911 is correct that all the info could be BS, or even a dealer planted leak, I would think that the point of this forum is to exchange as much information as possible.
    We are all old enough to understand that all information we gather is suspect to some degree, so bring it on.

By the way, my $99,700(new) '05 997S cost me $39K + my '99 996 w/85K miles last July. The 997S had 33K on the odometer at the time. (I like that is was driven and not parked) It included BOSE, PCCB, full leather, Adaptive sport seats, NAV, Sport chrono, dimming mirrors etc. but no CD changer. My '99 had been 'appraised', if you can call it that, by the local Porsche dealer at 18K just weeks before.
    I have found my last 3 cars on eBay using eBay dealers not individuals.
    eBay rocks - the local dealer does not. He gets no public feedback so he does not care about public negative feedback. The eBay dealer (Lamborghini of Houston) took my trade sight-unseen. I just drove down to Houston and traded keys after working out the deal via email. They have also stood behind the transaction since then - thanks LAMBO!

Anyway, I guess you know how I voted. My question to all of you is ... How did I do on my trade? I am happy with it! Can't think of any place in the world where my cost of ownership would be less.

You all don't want to know what I pay for taxes and insurance. I bet it will make you ill, it's so low. My biggest expense is tires.

The (2) that voted no details are the Rennteam dealers.

Quote:
    Leawood911 said:
    While easy_rider911 is correct that all the info could be BS, or even a dealer planted leak, I would think that the point of this forum is to exchange as much information as possible.
    We are all old enough to understand that all information we gather is suspect to some degree, so bring it on.

By the way, my $99,700(new) '05 997S cost me $39K + my '99 996 w/85K miles last July. The 997S had 33K on the odometer at the time. (I like that is was driven and not parked) It included BOSE, PCCB, full leather, Adaptive sport seats, NAV, Sport chrono, dimming mirrors etc. but no CD changer. My '99 had been 'appraised', if you can call it that, by the local Porsche dealer at 18K just weeks before.
    I have found my last 3 cars on eBay using eBay dealers not individuals.
    eBay rocks - the local dealer does not. He gets no public feedback so he does not care about public negative feedback. The eBay dealer (Lamborghini of Houston) took my trade sight-unseen. I just drove down to Houston and traded keys after working out the deal via email. They have also stood behind the transaction since then - thanks LAMBO!

Anyway, I guess you know how I voted. My question to all of you is ... How did I do on my trade? I am happy with it! Can't think of any place in the world where my cost of ownership would be less.

You all don't want to know what I pay for taxes and insurance. I bet it will make you ill, it's so low. My biggest expense is tires.

You convinced me to change my opinion. I voted for detailed specifics.

Quote:
    jplanaux said:
    The (2) that voted no details are the Rennteam dealers.

that was the point I was trying to make. thanks.

...Some of us might work for competitors...

Mine was pretty straightforward. I paid MSRP + tax + licensing fees for mine. I tried seeing if I could get any discounts of any sort. They would not budge. At the time, I didn't particularly want to deal with the legwork of having to look for a dealership willing to discount the Turbo. Plus, at the time the car hadn't even been released yet so there was no way for us folks to "gauge" the amount of popularity thus demand this car would generate. I did manage to get the side clear markers thrown in but that was about it. From this experience I learned a couple of things which I would probably use for future purchases.

Why not exchange info? There's nothing in the purchase agreement which makes the details confidential, and there's nothing wrong with consumers sharing information to their mutual benefit. Consumers Reports publishes this sort of info every month. Remember that a dealer is under no obligation to sell you a car at the price you want just because they sold it to someone else at that price.

I got $6k off on a $102k sticker for my MY07 C2S Cab in August 07. I had negotiated the discount based on a MY06, but it came in as an 07 and the dealer honored the price. Local dealer - about 20 minutes from home, one of a several within a reasonable drive.

I don't find the information people "disclose" to be very credible! I have been in business for longer than I care to remember and consider myself a knowledgeable and experienced negotiator, but when it come to Pcars or any other luxury item that is in a high demand, I cannot come close to some of the deals claimed here and other places!

To me it is a lot of crowing about how smart I am and it serves no purpose in the real world IMHO. I have never relied on what I should get in a deal only the reality of what I DID get and this is only dependent on me and my negotiating ability.

Any way I will continue to stumble my way through life always humbled at the negotiating expertise of some of my fellow posters!

I find it interesting to read the details on a forum like this but it was very odd to have Porsche state the MSRP of my car on the Certificate of Authenticity! I used to frame those things but not anymore... BTW, my 997 GT3 was MSRP... Placed a $1000 deposit on August 28, 2004; took delivery January 11, 2007.

Quote:
    stubenhocker said:
    I don't find the information people "disclose" to be very credible! I have been in business for longer than I care to remember and consider myself a knowledgeable and experienced negotiator, but when it come to Pcars or any other luxury item that is in a high demand, I cannot come close to some of the deals claimed here and other places!

To me it is a lot of crowing about how smart I am and it serves no purpose in the real world IMHO. I have never relied on what I should get in a deal only the reality of what I DID get and this is only dependent on me and my negotiating ability.

Any way I will continue to stumble my way through life always humbled at the negotiating expertise of some of my fellow posters!

I agree 100% and I too will just continue to stumble through life.

I also don't care what kind of discounts they are offering in Poughkeepsie when I live 3,000 miles away in Southern California. My time is worth something.

When I went shopping for my Pcar, I used some of the discount percentages that had been mentioned by other Rennteamers. This being my 1st Pcar and living in a world where if you do not ask you do not get. Most dealers said an outright 'No'. The one who didn't had a new customer. And those that said 'No', after realizing that I have made my purchase already, said 'you should have told me I would have given you a discount.....

I got 4% plus a bunch of freebies. It's not the highest amount I've seen on this board, but I ordered my car, and it came in as spec'd and a few weeks early at that. Most of all, I'm happy and I saved a few bucks.

So to those who gave purchase details, your next beer is on me.

Quote:
    stubenhocker said:

That's the beauty of sharing on a forum like this. If you hang around long enough, you get an idea of who's full of crap and who's genuine and helpful, and you can decide for yourself what to make of the information. Like all data, it has to be interpretted. If you choose to discount it because it doesn't fit with your personal experience, good for you. Others can do with it what they want.

The point is that sharing info can't be bad, and that's what forums like these are all about: sharing info.

Quote:
    jplanaux said:
    I read in another forum where someone had thought they had gotten a great deal.He ended his post with the comment: do not ask for any specifics.I questioned him about this and he seemed a little annoyed about how I could not understand why this was so.

When I purchased my Porsche, I scanned through the forums I could find and found purchase info that assisted me in making a "fair" offer. Many of the posts II read did not disclose many specifics, but really just disclosed discount percentages. I personally do not see the harm in this. Others seem that disclosing this information is not proper and possibly harmful towards the company.

From the large majority you will not get any detail's ,, specially if they purchase the vehicle via payments etc etc..People consider it personal and the last thing they want to do is blight there ego....It's silly but it's true....

FWIW,,, Since my local dealer was asleep at the wheel : I sent out e-mails to dealers from within about 100 mi noting the exact car I was looking for ( including Grand Tour option) and that I was looking for the best deal ( I didn't disclose the amount unless asked) and service.

Of about 15 dealers, about a third of them responded promptly with an offer, a third responded with an offer to provide good service only, and the others didn't respond.

From there, I let them out bid each other until I received the price/ discount I was looking for ( it took about a week).

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    Why not exchange info? There's nothing in the purchase agreement which makes the details confidential, and there's nothing wrong with consumers sharing information to their mutual benefit. Consumers Reports publishes this sort of info every month. Remember that a dealer is under no obligation to sell you a car at the price you want just because they sold it to someone else at that price.

I got $6k off on a $102k sticker for my MY07 C2S Cab in August 07. I had negotiated the discount based on a MY06, but it came in as an 07 and the dealer honored the price. Local dealer - about 20 minutes from home, one of a several within a reasonable drive.

Agree!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690483 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256003 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235275 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65649 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858414 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774688 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM