Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Huracán Performante in "6.52 something" at the Ring?

Debatable angry

SciFrog:

Debatable angry

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

https://youtu.be/TGYITqMPc7U

Thanks!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

It was Tuesday 9:30 when I got the keys for the Performante in Boblingen and heard the sweet words “it’s yours for the entire day”. Not to so sweet was the weather - cold, rainy and up in Black Forest - foggy. But it just helped prove that the Perfromante is the most capable car I’ve ever driven no matter what.

Comfort and ergonomics

I know that people expect quirks from Lamborghini’s but the moment I got into the car I felt at home. The bucket seats are not the most comfortable but neither as terrible as some people have said. The upper part is too narrow for wider shoulders. I’d definitely go for the comfort seats. Everything else is a standard Huracan covered in alcantara. If feels like a military machine...and for a good reason. The driving position is superb. I especially like how close to the driver you can adjust the steering wheel on modern Lamborghini's. At 1.87m I fit perfectly fine but I can imagine a 1.90+ person feeling too close to the roof. I was told that NOT ordering the electric seats puts you 15mm lower so it is a must. My only ergonomics concern is the A-pillars which obstruct the visibility when you drive fast on tighter corners. The advanced sound system is great and can actually be enjoyed because the car is far more versatile than expected. Just put it in Strada and it is perfectly civilized and quiet (when you are gentile). The build quality of the interior is superb. 

Chassis and steering

This is the most confidence-inspiring car I've ever driven. That was supposed to be the role of the Turbo but no more. It feels like you drive on rails, only you are laying the rails with the steering wheel in real time. I did some high speed Autobahn driving in the heavy rain. I've never felt so stable at 200+ km/h. From Boblingen I went to Black Forest towards Baden-Baden. It was raining hard, the temperature fell to 10C. The levels of traction and stability were unbelievable. I don't think that there's any other car in the world that can touch it especially in the wet. And there's no learning curve. You just jump in the car and it delivers immediately. If there's any understeer I couldn't find it. It feels absolutely neutral and centered. The steering is a bit heavy but precise enough. Maybe a bit artificially heavy at high speeds. It's not at the level of the 720S or the GT3 RS but still very good. The suspension was another surprise - less jarring than the GT3 RS but yet the wheel travel is short and the car stays absolutely flat. It is unbelievable that a 7m Ring car can be so civilized.

Where’s the catch then? If I have to point at one thing it would be that the car probably feels to planted. It lacks the playfulness and finesse of the 720S, the 488 or the GT3. There’s just a little bit of Audi feeling there. But it is superior to all those cars in so many other dimensions that I wouldn’t think too much about it. 

Engine, gearbox and brakes

The brakes felt like they’ve been taken from a Porsche and that’s the biggest compliment I can give. Once again I was reminded how bad were the 720’s. The engine is such a masterpiece that I’d be happy to trade the power advantage of the 720S for that sound and response. I guess it’s not much different than the standard Huracan but anyways, it has to be pointed out more often that this is the best engine in this league. The gearbox is flawless and instant both in auto in manual. Overall the Performante impressed me far more than the 720S. I know that the weather didn’t do the McLaren a favor but this are just my feelings, not some objective, instrumental test. The Performante is the perfect combination of ultimate performance, drama and exotic look. I left with the feeling that I want one badly. Thankfully there are production slots for January.

Woof, that was unexpected! Thanks for the review, these real life test matter more to me than all the journo reviews, makes me want to test one too...Definitely the prettiest car of the class.

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Herbaliser:

I did some high speed Autobahn driving in the heavy rain. I've never felt so stable at 200+ km/h. From Boblingen I went to Black Forest towards Baden-Baden. It was raining hard, the temperature fell to 10C. The levels of traction and stability were unbelievable.

Great review & very interesting to read Smiley 

However, when I read the above I have to point out still that this is super risky and the reason you are still with us is not the car or how well it handles but good fate... Just saying - super risky Smiley

Yea dude, you went 200+ in heavy rain and cold temps? That's nuts. Why would you ever care how well it does something like that? You were one puddle and aquaplane away from a nasty accident...

Herbaliser:

It was Tuesday 9:30 when I got the keys for the Performante in Boblingen and heard the sweet words “it’s yours for the entire day”. Not to so sweet was the weather - cold, rainy and up in Black Forest - foggy. But it just helped prove that the Perfromante is the most capable car I’ve ever driven no matter what.

Comfort and ergonomics

I know that people expect quirks from Lamborghini’s but the moment I got into the car I felt at home. The bucket seats are not the most comfortable but neither as terrible as some people have said. The upper part is too narrow for wider shoulders. I’d definitely go for the comfort seats. Everything else is a standard Huracan covered in alcantara. If feels like a military machine...and for a good reason. The driving position is superb. I especially like how close to the driver you can adjust the steering wheel on modern Lamborghini's. At 1.87m I fit perfectly fine but I can imagine a 1.90+ person feeling too close to the roof. I was told that NOT ordering the electric seats puts you 15mm lower so it is a must. My only ergonomics concern is the A-pillars which obstruct the visibility when you drive fast on tighter corners. The advanced sound system is great and can actually be enjoyed because the car is far more versatile than expected. Just put it in Strada and it is perfectly civilized and quiet (when you are gentile). The build quality of the interior is superb. 

Chassis and steering

This is the most confidence-inspiring car I've ever driven. That was supposed to be the role of the Turbo but no more. It feels like you drive on rails, only you are laying the rails with the steering wheel in real time. I did some high speed Autobahn driving in the heavy rain. I've never felt so stable at 200+ km/h. From Boblingen I went to Black Forest towards Baden-Baden. It was raining hard, the temperature fell to 10C. The levels of traction and stability were unbelievable. I don't think that there's any other car in the world that can touch it especially in the wet. And there's no learning curve. You just jump in the car and it delivers immediately. If there's any understeer I couldn't find it. It feels absolutely neutral and centered. The steering is a bit heavy but precise enough. Maybe a bit artificially heavy at high speeds. It's not at the level of the 720S or the GT3 RS but still very good. The suspension was another surprise - less jarring than the GT3 RS but yet the wheel travel is short and the car stays absolutely flat. It is unbelievable that a 7m Ring car can be so civilized.

Where’s the catch then? If I have to point at one thing it would be that the car probably feels to planted. It lacks the playfulness and finesse of the 720S, the 488 or the GT3. There’s just a little bit of Audi feeling there. But it is superior to all those cars in so many other dimensions that I wouldn’t think too much about it. 

The brakes felt like they’ve been taken from a Porsche and that’s the biggest compliment I can give. Once again I was reminded how bad were the 720’s. The engine is such a masterpiece that I’d be happy to trade the power advantage of the 720S for that sound and response. I guess it’s not much different than the standard Huracan but anyways, it has to be pointed out more often that this is the best engine in this league. The gearbox is flawless and instant both in auto in manual. Overall the Performante impressed me far more than the 720S. I know that the weather didn’t do the McLaren a favor but this are just my feelings, not some objective, instrumental test. The Performante is the perfect combination of ultimate performance, drama and exotic look. I left with the feeling that I want one badly. Thankfully there are production slots for January.

wooow wooow wooow, i need to get a test drive rather sooner than later. maybe this is even a 488GTO alternative....naturally aspirated, 4WD and killer looks.....hmmmm

Brilliant review, thanks for the effort! Big fan of the Performante's looks, delighted it appears to deliver on those looks. Now order! wink

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Thanks for the review, brilliant!

I am so sad that Lambo is unable to offer a 4 or 6-point racing harness for the Performante. That is the reason why I had to pass this car which I want(ed) so much.

Please Lambo, learn from this and offer it on the next Superleggera/Performante model!

If you make a track-focussed car, it is simply unbelievable not to offer a racing harness next to the regular seat belt for road driving!!!

Others like Porsche, Ferrari or AMG (for the GTR) do it better.

--

991 GT3 RS / Gone: Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

noone1:

Yea dude, you went 200+ in heavy rain and cold temps? That's nuts. Why would you ever care how well it does something like that? You were one puddle and aquaplane away from a nasty accident...

On the autobahn the temperature was 17C and I did the short 200+ runs on stretches where there was no risk, between diesel Audi's and BMW's who were driving also in that speed range. I wasn't really trying to test it, it felt very safe and natural.

Thank so much for the review! This is my favorite dream car!

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Thanks for taking the time to do this review Smiley. I have been saying for some time that this is THE car in 2017 and you have just backed that up.

So many good cars out there...

Herbaliser:

Comfort and ergonomics

Chassis and steering

Thanks for your reviews Herbaliser, it's great to read comparisons between cars like 911-720s-performante SmileySmiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

noone1:

I have to agree. This is the danger of modern cars: They provide a lot of confidence, even at very high speeds in rain but then, suddenly... Smiley He was definitely VERY lucky, especially since I assume the car had Corsa tires (thank god he didn't have the Trofeo R...).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

crayphile:

Thanks for taking the time to do this review Smiley. I have been saying for some time that this is THE car in 2017 and you have just backed that up.

Smiley The only "better" car than my R8. Smiley Smiley 

--

MT review

https://youtu.be/GiWmP29A35U

today i have almost decided to let go of my GT3RS for the huracan performante. i just need to convince my wife that the  trunk is sufficient:::)))) currently the lambo sales rep is working out the deal, delivery should be in Q2 2018. i will keep the car for 1-2 years and then decide whether i want to swap it for the 488GTO. i will test drive the performante in three weeks time, then sign the contract if it is what i expect. i had the huracan for a day a year ago and a gallardo for a week some time ago, so i am kind of familiar with the lambo feeling. tunnel vision and all that::::)))) but i really miss the looks of a supercar, this is where the GT3RS disappoints. 

noone1:

Do you ever drive on the autobahn? Everyone in a decent car drives >200km/h traffic permitting... Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

RC:
    noone1:

I have to agree. This is the danger of modern cars: They provide a lot of confidence, even at very high speeds in rain but then, suddenly... Smiley He was definitely VERY lucky, especially since I assume the car had Corsa tires (thank god he didn't have the Trofeo R...).

Boy...this place is getting full of old and wise guys telling me what I don't know about driving, money, whatever. None of you was in the car but still you know better than me. It's even more ridiculous that this is coming from someone who constantly brags about his autobahn encounters with his entire family on board. But then again...you were a rally driver and I am nobody. It's too bad that the quality content and the valuable advices get more and more diluted by all this empty talk.

I think it's time for me to move on...Thanks everyone for the last 10 years!

Porker:
    noone1:

Do you ever drive on the autobahn? Everyone in a decent car drives >200km/h traffic permitting... Smiley

In heavy rain? Last time I was driving on the autobahn in heavy rain I definitely wasn't going 200+ and neither was anyone else.

Herbaliser:
    RC:
    noone1:

Boy...this place is getting full of old and wise guys telling me what I don't know about driving, money, whatever. None of you was in the car but still you know better than me. It's even more ridiculous that this is coming from someone who constantly brags about his autobahn encounters with his entire family on board. But then again...you were a rally driver and I am nobody. It's too bad that the quality content and the valuable advices get more and more diluted by all this empty talk.

There are still people on your side of the fence, don't leave us behind with the fun police! SmileySmiley

--

+1

It's the internet, guys. Don't tell what others should do, sitting behind a pc on the other side of the planet. wink

--

Telling people what to do is a core principle of the internet

IMG_0730.JPG

--

Porker:
    Herbaliser:

There are still people on your side of the fence, don't leave us behind with the fun police! SmileySmiley

+1

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Spudgun, you're literally telling people what they should do from your PC on the other side of the planet by telling people what they should not do.

It would be nice if people were supportive once and a while rather than always critical. I catch myself now and then. I understand the desire to simply walk away and let go. Sad

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762796 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435557 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260616 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257642 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80968 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872472 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807862 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM