Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

A special treat for a special day.

I had been trying my best not to turn to the dark side. Being addicted to Rennteam was bad enough. I did not need to check my calendar every 5 minutes on top of that. But on my birthday, everything conspired to make me sign on the dotted line. I am now officially a waiter!

Spec follows:
    Porsche 911 Targa 4S
    E9 Midnight Blue Metallic
    BM Black / Sand Beige Interior
    M6A Black Floor Mats
    342 Heated Seats
    P15 Power Seats
    640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
    666 Module for Telephone PCM
    672 Extended Navigation Module
    680 Bose High End Sound Package
    267 Self-Dimming Mirrors
    567 Tinted Windshield
    XLF Porsche Sport Exhaust
    405 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
    446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
    XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum
    431 3-Spoke Multifunction Steering Wheel
    CPA Thicker 3-Spoke Multifunction Steering Wheel
    XMP Leather Sun Visors
    XMZ Rear Center Console in Leather
    XNS Steering Column in Leather
    XTV Door Finishers in Leather
    CDW Y-Trim Steering Wheel in Leather (Black)
    CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
    CUV Storage Compartment with Targa 4S Logo
    CVZ Bose Subwoofer Outlets in Leather
    CVT Door and Rear Speakers in Leather
    CVW Rear View Mirror in Leather
    CDU Belt Outlet B-Pillar in Leather
    CDA Air Vent Slats Aluminum Look / Tan Leather Surround
    CCP PCM Package Aluminum Look
    CXB Door Entry Guards: Steel, Illuminated
    498 Delete Model Designation
    900 Factory Delivery

The car should be ready by early May, right on time for Alpine passes to open again.

Edit: I'd like to thank all members for their contributions to the board, and especially Carlos F for his support. I hope he won't be mad at me for copying his spec!

Re: A special treat for a special day.

My sincerest and warmest congratulations to you Groom on your beautiful spec and on your birthday! It is so obvious that a lot of careful thought has gone into your spec list.

I know how much you have helped so many other people with the Porsche Exclusive options so who better than you to spec your car to perfection?

Once again, many, many congrats. Now the agony of waiting begins for you in earnest. Bon courage mon ami. I'm looking forward to seeing some really detailed pics of the more unusual/obscure Exclusive items you chose.

Groom , see a targa the other day and I was most impressed...

Congrats , bud...

Congrats, and happy B-Day

Congratulations.... You car will be a piece of jewellery !
    And I hope to see it in the flesh in late spring for our alpine tour, I guess there is a big chance, as you will have to show it to carlos F
    Happy birthday

Well done! Should be spectacular!
    Mine is on the Vessel - hopefully not the "CMS Napoli" - and is expected somewhere early February.

With your "Winter," some of these passes are probably open now......

Hard to beat the Simplon btw.

Looks like a great spec.....I love my black and sand interior.......good choice with the black mats.

Nice specs on that Targa! congrats and happy Bday

might as well get the limited slip dif since your all in anyway...nice

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    might as well get the limited slip dif since your all in anyway...nice

It is not available on the Targa

Great specs. Congratulations on your order.
    Did you consider X51 ?

Nice car, looks like you got everything.

Thanks for your support. I've spent a lot of time pondering each option (especially the ones I did leave out. Believe it or not, there are more leather options available ).
    I wish I could afford the X51 powerkit or PCCB, but at some point, I have to draw the line.

I'm looking forward for my first Rennteam meeting next Spring.

@easy_rider911: I'm doing my best. This board has got such a wealth of information to share, I'm happy to do my part.

Regarding Exclusive options, one has to be extra careful with two-color interiors. I've seen a poor chap with a tan leather insert in the middle of the steering wheel, which totally ruined the interior.
    So use the additional Exclusive form sheet to specify which color you want. For instance, I chose to get the part that surrounds the air vent slats in tan instead of black, so that the air vents look like they're part of the middle console, rather than the upper half of the dashboard. It works pretty sweet with the silver air vent slats and PCM.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve (black/silk interior):

By the way, I just noticed that I missed the most indispensable option ever: CRUISE CONTROL (454)!

Gotta call the dealer tomorrow...

Also missing on the list since installed by the dealer:
    Vehicle tracking system (I think I overlooked the wiring option (674) when I copied the option list)
    Carbon dash trim (the Carbon package option is incompatible with the alu/leather gear leather and handbrake (DAD) so I have to have it installed at delivery).

Congratulations Groom on your birthday and your order.

Couldn't find TPMS in your list, which I would highly recommend!

Congrats!
    Just happy you didn't have to ecnomise on options like i had to!

Quote:
    Matt C said:
    Couldn't find TPMS in your list, which I would highly recommend!

Damn, you're right, I thought it came as standard now. I agree, it's a must-have option.
    I just checked, it's only in North America apparently. Ladies and Gentlemen, we have proof that I have not done enough research on my spec!

@ beltar: my 996 Targa was barebones. I made the mistake to order it without full leather. Never again!

Groom,

Hey, you missed out cruise control, TPMS and 674. C'mon man, please, just read through the option list once again and use the configurator (for the exclusive options) one more time. Okay? I just simply couldn't bear it if there was a single must-have item missing from your beautiful car! I'm so so excited for you!!

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    For instance, I chose to get the part that surrounds the air vent slats in tan instead of black, so that the air vents look like they're part of the middle console, rather than the upper half of the dashboard. It works pretty sweet with the silver air vent slats and PCM.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve (black/silk interior):

Congrats on your birthday order! I agree that the sand beige + black interior in the photo (with the leather around the air vents) look amazing!

Is tan (CDA) the same as sand? I thought tan is more like natural brown?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Groom,

Hey, you missed out cruise control, TPMS and 674. C'mon man, please, just read through the option list once again and use the configurator (for the exclusive options) one more time. Okay? I just simply couldn't bear it if there was a single must-have item missing from your beautiful car! I'm so so excited for you!!

What actually happened is that I ran to the dealer with my spec. Since I obviously looked like I knew what I wanted, the dealer did not try to strongarm me into adding even more options.

Thing is, I had used a US ordering guide. In the US, cruise control, tinted windshield and TMPS are standard, while the Vehicle Tracking System is not available (AFAIK).

I managed to catch the tinted windshield and the Factory Delivery (it's a different option code) before going to the dealer, and at the last minute (while I was at the dealer), the Vehicle Tracking System. Unfortunately, I still managed to miss TPMS and cruise control.

@ moto:
    You're right, I did mean Sand beige. It'd be much more expensive to use a third color besides the standard sand and black. Score one for translation errors!

For the record, my interior will differ slightly from the interior shown above in that carpets will be sand beige, while the removable floor mats will be black.
    IMHO deviated carpets don't work so well on the 997 because of the shape of the door handle (which goes down pretty deep into the door carpeting). However, black mats are a must, since sand mats... dont stay sand-colored very long.

Busted! - order pushed back

Got busted for speeding on Sunday. I'm down to 2 points (out of 12) on my license!

I was actually lucky since the police officer agreed to write down the ticket to 179 km/h instead of the actual 182 if I pleaded no contest. Huge difference, as it saves me a felony speeding conviction, court appearance, loss of license + 3 year suspension, and getting my car seized and auctioned. I decided to cut my losses instead of making such a gamble.

As a consequence, I've decided to push back my order to October while I attend some phony "responsible driving" course to restore my license to a better standing.

The new AWD and PDK should be out by then. Every cloud has a silver lining! The dealer was very helpful and understanding. It was apparently still possible to change my order. I guess they didn't mind sitting on my deposit for an extra eight months...

Re: Busted! - order pushed back

Sorry to hear that The Groom...but you seem to have had some fortune in your missfortune.
    I am way too scared to speed on our highways now... the consequences are far too heavy. But I do take my chances on small country roads.
    Don't forget to take cruise control on your Targa !

Meeeeeerde!
    But be careful about ordering PDK. Since I got my Targa 4S, I don't like tro drive my wife's Audi sportback 3.2 PDK anymore. I find it boring.
    Laurent, we shall miss you at our spring meet (maybe you join with your daily driver!).
    Carlos

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    and getting my car seized and auctioned.

what a nightmare that would have been Thanks god it didn't happen with your new Targa.
    I just can't imagine how I'd react if they'd seize and auction my car
    Good luck with restoring your license

Thanks for your support. I was really p*ssed when it happened. I still am, actually. I did not expect to meet one of the little blue Subbies from Hell on that highway (Niort-Nantes for those who know the area). In fact, it was the only highway I felt safe speeding on until now.
    I had not seen a single police car or even speed camera in 5 years there, and neither had my business partner (one of us drives Bordeaux-Nantes and back at least once a week). I guess the party is over now.

The decision to push back the order was painful to make, but it was a no-brainer. The insurance company alone would have killed me if I had tried insuring a Porsche right after getting such a ticket.

It's going to be Christmas 2 months early when the Targa comes, though. I'm still not 100% sure about PDK, but I'm definitely adding that customer bicolor natural leather interior I've been looking at, and maybe PCCB.

@CarlosF: I'm not sure I'll come with the A4. I'm afraid I'd hate myself for getting that ticket for 4 months if I go.
    Please keep me informed, though, I might make up my mind later when my anger has subsided.

This is a bit of OT, but I was wondering if the 911 model is less expensive in EU <Germany, Holland> than in the us?

Prices are much lower in the US. Basically $1 = Euro 1, i.e. we pay 33% more.

Well what about the UK?? It's a disaster zone here regarding pricing/value: Effectively, with Porsche pricing 1GBP=$1=1 Euro

Groom,

I was so sad to hear about the speeding ticket. I hate the cops. They know how to screw up our best laid plans!

But please don't get PDK. I know it might accelerate quicker than a manual, involves less effort (since no clutch etc) but do you really want driving to become like a Xbox 360 activity? C'mon, the feeling of being connected to the car by listening to its revs and choosing the right gear is incomparable. And you know it

(Regarding prices)
    I always wondered how British citizens could bear getting ripped by importers. This "$1 = Euro 1 = Pounds1" convention is stupid. It costs exactly the same to import something to Britain as to continental Europe. I suspect shedding the pound and switching to the euro would help in that regard.

(Regarding PDK)
    I don't know, I started "driving" on the PC, so paddle shifting always felt more "natural" to me.

Currently the Tiptronic does not appeal to me because of the power loss, slow shifting in manual mode, not necessarily adequate shifting in auto mode, and the fact that it'll still override my decisions. Not to mention the retarded position of the shifters (try shifting in a bend: which way is "+", which is "-"?).
    As for F1/SMG trannies, they suck for non-sporty driving, so they're not an option either.
    And of course, the manual sucks in the city. I try to ride the subway / light rail whenever I can, though.

But PDK is supposed to fix that. If Porsche does deliver the goods, it'll be worth it. If it's just like the VW DSG, then I might go with a manual. I just hope we'll have a PDK review on Rennteam before it's too late for me.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690722 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409918 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256109 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235351 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858667 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774872 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM