Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

VKSF's new 599GTB

Hi VKSF,

just learned from some other threads that you have received your new 599 already! Congratulations

Which color did you pick? Whenever you have some minutes could you please summarize your impressions of the car to date. I am very interested in your views regarding this car.

Many thanks & best regards, Markus

Re: VKSF's new 599GTB

AH! Now the world makes sense on why VKSF is so speculative & defensive of the 599's future depreciation. Gotta keep that bubble going!

599 w/F-1, CCM, 20" wheels, various leather/cf options, etc

Prelim views post 500mis and 2 wks (used as a daily commuter and wkend car, alongside '07 CL600)....easily one of best overall sports/GT cars ever....many kudos to F's engineers; they have exceeded the rather lofty expectations of many cynical/jaded repeat F/P/MB buyers

Absolutely superb steering/brakes/chassis balance&damping (even vs suboptimal CA roads)/traction (even in rain...much better than 65)/600-like mid-range tq/shift quickness&smoothness/brilliantly linear throttle response/intimidating exhaust note

And about as daily-useable as my '07 CL600....excellent ground clearance for SF hills; big fuel tank/trunk; Bluetooth; iPod; superb build quality, etc etc.....if F had MB-like safety, the CL63 would be entirely irrelevant....

To be candid, found my prior 997TT Tip/PCCB's steering/brakes/traction to be rather comparable to 599's ...and 997TT's passive safety to likely be superior to 599's ....but view 997TT's wimpy exhaust note, lack of paddleshifters and turbo lag to be entirely unacceptable vs 599's strengths when analyzing sportscar attributes....and, when analyzing GT attributes, 997TT's lack of a commuter-relevant fuel tank, trunk space, Bluetooth and iPod/sat radio is shocking vs 599's rather CL-like amenities....

Will try to add more detailed obsvns after more miles....

Pictures Please!!!!!!!!!

Very nice, that is one heck of a car!

Gary

VKSF congrats .

Can't wait to read your review and pictures. A good friend of mine is about to place his order for the 599.

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Prelim views post 500mis and 2 wks (used as a daily commuter and wkend car, alongside '07 CL600)....easily one of best overall sports/GT cars ever....many kudos to F's engineers; they have exceeded the rather lofty expectations of many cynical/jaded repeat F/P/MB buyers

Absolutely superb steering/brakes/chassis balance&damping (even vs suboptimal CA roads)/traction (even in rain...much better than 65)/600-like mid-range tq/shift quickness&smoothness/brilliantly linear throttle response/intimidating exhaust note

And about as daily-useable as my '07 CL600....excellent ground clearance for SF hills; big fuel tank/trunk; Bluetooth; iPod; superb build quality, etc etc.....if F had MB-like safety, the CL63 would be entirely irrelevant....

To be candid, found my prior 997TT Tip/PCCB's steering/brakes/traction to be rather comparable to 599's ...and 997TT's passive safety to likely be superior to 599's ....but view 997TT's wimpy exhaust note, lack of paddleshifters and turbo lag to be entirely unacceptable vs 599's strengths when analyzing sportscar attributes....and, when analyzing GT attributes, 997TT's lack of a commuter-relevant fuel tank, trunk space, Bluetooth and iPod/sat radio is shocking vs 599's rather CL-like amenities....

Many thanks

Quote:
    VKSF said:

GREAT CHOICE VKSF!
    Congratulations!

I'm really curious how you'll like commuting in the GTB. Keep us updated!

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

GREAT CHOICE VKSF!
    Congratulations!

I'm really curious how you'll like commuting in the GTB. Keep us updated!

Congrats VKSF! To me the 599 GTB Fiorano is currently the best GT on the market!

Which colour did you choose?

Thx for the kind words, gents

MKSGR, must say your detailed, articulate and insightful review of your 599 drive was spot-on

Prob know 3-4 other guys who also recently got 599; each has similar very, very positive initial impressions; each also drives a new CL (and is eagerly awaiting CL63)....and each wonders if 599 solves one's wkend sportscar and daily GT car needs in one fell swoop....IMO, 599 could be a game-changing car, offering performance/precision/aural theatrics one doesn't expect in a (relatively) low-profile 4000lb V12 coupe, yet offering comfort/utility features rivaling those of CL....we truly live in a great era of brilliantly-engineered cars

Grigio silverstone, blk leath; red calipers.

she sounds like a beaute ~~ as with everyone here, awaiting some stunner-pics!

best~~

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    as with everyone here, awaiting some stunner-pics!

impatiently awating stunner pics I should add!

I wonder if other owners would agree - the 599 is brilliant, but not a sportscar. In other words, too much a GT to make cars like the 430, the Gallardo, the 911 variants, unnecessary.

Quote:
    WCH said:
    I wonder if other owners would agree - the 599 is brilliant, but not a sportscar. In other words, too much a GT to make cars like the 430, the Gallardo, the 911 variants, unnecessary.

I'm no owner of the 599, but I would agree. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
    WCH said:

I disagree (strongly). The 599GTB can replace either of the cars you mention. In addition, it offers 997TT-like comfort and GT capabilities.

LOL! You guys have posted at nearly the same moment, one agreeing and the other completely disagreeing .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    LOL! You guys have posted at nearly the same moment, one agreeing and the other completely disagreeing .

The reason is simple:

430 owners have to agree, 599 owners have to disagree.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The reason is simple:

Seems logical...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The reason is simple:

Seems logical...

Yes, it's logical that F430 owners have pen-i-s envy because 599 is a bigger number than 430 .

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The reason is simple:

Seems logical...

Seriously: the 599 is a hell of a car with LP640-speed and Mercedes CL comfort. Best of both worlds if you want. Just as the 575 Maranello, only faster and better in nearly every way. But the 599 is more on the GT-side as it is a big and heavy car with a classical frontengined layout (and there's nothing wrong with that).

The 430 (or Gallardo) OTOH is less comfortable (though not being an uncomfortable car), lighter and more agile (at least the 430 that is). In the future I predict such cars will become even lighter by using high tech materials which surely is the way to go as the horsepower war has to come to an end sometimes.

I don't feel the 599 replaces the 430 - especially in terms of cockpit feel, driving feel - they're completely different. The 599 is a superb car, drives lighter than it is, huge torque - but to me, it's a GT . I think the perfect solution is a 599 for the street, and a 430C for the track.

No question, though, for the street I prefer practicality and power of the 599.

Quote:
    Crash said:

This is a valuable piece of evidence: I did not need to think long before I came up with an answer to WCH's question

Quote:
    WCH said:
    I don't feel the 599 replaces the 430 - especially in terms of cockpit feel, driving feel - they're completely different. The 599 is a superb car, drives lighter than it is, huge torque - but to me, it's a GT . I think the perfect solution is a 599 for the street, and a 430C for the track.

I agree that F430 and Gallardo feel different (most cars feel different BTW).

However, I would not retain/buy a F430 next to the 599. Whenever I would be driving the F430 I would tell myself: the 599 is faster in a straight line, the 599 is faster on the track, the 599 has a V12, the 599 has a better F1 gear-box etc.

Same argument would apply to owning a 997s and a 997TT. Why own both? The 997TT is simply superior

If somebody needed a contrast to the 599GTB I would go for a F40, F50, maybe even a LP640. These cars are true "race cars" and offer similar performance as the 599.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The reason is simple:

Seems logical...

Yes, it's logical that F430 owners have pen-i-s envy because 599 is a bigger number than 430 .

Do you drive any of these cars, Crash?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Whenever I would be driving the F430 I would tell myself: the 599 is faster in a straight line, the 599 is faster on the track, the 599 has a V12, the 599 has a better F1 gear-box etc.

Isn't that logical? The 599 is the newer car with the more advanced technology. When the 430 replaced the 360, you could have said the same about the 430 compared to the 575, only the other way round with the V8 being superior to the more expensive V12 (except of the sheer number of zylinders ). Was the 430 the better car then? I'd say no, both were highly desirable, the 430 as a midengined sports car, the 575 as a fantastic GT-sportscar.

The best model is always the car that has been presented last and this is what the car industry keeps on going.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The reason is simple:

Seems logical...

Do you drive any of these cars, Crash?

No. I prefer side airbags and cars that don't go up in flames .

Seriously though, I wonder how the F430 successor will compare to the 599 in performance.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Whenever I would be driving the F430 I would tell myself: the 599 is faster in a straight line, the 599 is faster on the track, the 599 has a V12, the 599 has a better F1 gear-box etc.

Isn't that logical? The 599 is the newer car with the more advanced technology. When the 430 replaced the 360, you could have said the same about the 430 compared to the 575, only the other way round with the V8 being superior to the more expensive V12 (except of the sheer number of zylinders ). Was the 430 the better car then? I'd say no, both were highly desirable, the 430 as a midengined sports car, the 575 as a fantastic GT-sportscar.

The best model is always the car that has been presented last and this is what the car industry keeps on going.

Sure, it is logical.

I am not saying that I don't like the F430. It is an amazing car.

I am just saying that I would not buy the F430 AND the F599GTB. What should be the logic for owning both? If the 599GTB is not enough, other (more extreme) sportscars would be much better complements (F40, LP640, F50 etc.)

P.S.: I am speaking of the F430 coupe - the spider is something different, obviously

Quote:
    WCH said:

Not sure we can ever agree on what constitutes a sportscar/GT car/supercar, etc....IMO, many attributes have increasingly converged in today's cars, esp when responsibly used by even good amateur drivers on real-world suboptimal roads/traffic....

That said, greatly prefer 599 to 430 for street duty, straight-line/twisties....more useable mid-range tq for urban fwy passing maneuvers; has side/head airbags; better damping for bumpy mtn twisties; better wet traction; smoother tranny; just right exhaust note (430 is too juvenile to use for most business situations); real trunk; more anonymous, sedate profile (again more presentable in many business situations) etc....

If I could only have one car for all my daily/wkend needs on public roads, 599 qualifies; 430/997TT, etc don't....but it's an academic point anyway, as I suspect most 599 owners have 2-3 commuter/wkend cars in their fleet anyway....

Never understood why guys would aspire to use street-legal cars for a track....would rather get a track-focused car like 430C/FXX, w/no street-legal engineering compromises....similarly, never understood why guys would aspire to drive a track-oriented car on real-world public roads....some may view cars like CGT, GT2/3, etc as essentially confused attempts at wannabe racecars that are street-compromised for track duty, yet also struggle w/any real-world, public road duty...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763124 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435724 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260711 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257697 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80994 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872616 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808069 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM