Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Formula 1 Grand Prix Season 2007

Okay guys, one by one the 2007 cars are being launched to the media: Renault, Ferrari, McLaren, Toyota, BMW Sauber to name a few.

Some of the teams have been testing their new cars: Ferrari at Fiorano, Renault at Jerez, McLaren at Valencia etc etc.

The big news has obviously been all the driver changes at the top teams. Important questions IMO are: will Alonso's ability and ambition be enough to win with McLaren (a team that didn't win a race all year in 2006)? Will rookie Hamilton sink or swim? How long will McLaren give him to show his worth? Or will the Ferrari boys, Kimi and Felipe, race away with the 2 titles? Who will have the upper hand between these two young drivers? With the Renault car and team so strong, expectations should be high but if Fisi doesn't deliver consistent results, how long will his career last? Will Kovaleinen last given that in winter testing, Nelson Piquet Jr was faster than him? Will Button score more GP wins or was Hungary 2006 a flash in the pan? How long before Kubica becomes team leader at BMW Sauber? He certainly gave Heidfeld a wake up call last year. Will this be the last season for Trulli and Ralf Schumacher if they don't deliver a better performance for Toyota whose patience must surely be wearing thin given that they have the second biggest budget in F1? They know they need to be at the front of the grid. It's looking embarrassing for them. Will Mark Webber fail at yet another team after 'talking' such a good game at Jaguar and Williams? Will Rosberg finally perform after his lacklustre season in 2006 having started so well in his first race? Will Davidson prove it was unjust to hold him back as a mere test driver at BAR Honda in 2005 in comparison with his then team mate, Sato, who is now his co-driver at Super Aguri? Why are Toro Rosso torturing their drivers (especially the colourful Vitantonio Liuzzi) by not telling them yet whether they even have a seat for 2007? How much will the engine development ban affect this season? How will the fact that there is only one tyre supplier affect things? Will the simultaneous departures of Ross Braun and Michael Schumacher at Ferrari destabilise the Scuderia set up? Will Ron Dennis ever smile? Will ITV F1 ever show a press conference in full this year on British TV? Will Bernie Ecclestone marry an even younger/bustier nymphette this year?

These are just some random issues that struck me before the season gets underway. What about your thoughts guys on these and other subjects relating to the forthcoming F1 season?

60 days to go. Roll on Melbourne. I can't wait.

PS: if any guys want to organise a Rennteam meet at the Monaco GP, let's start planning from now...

Re: Formula 1 Grand Prix Season 2007

This year will be interesting and its very hard to predict who is favorite...

Ferrari problably will have tyre advantage in first part of the seasion, but they lost almost all key people and this isnt good news form them.

Renault will problably has top car again, but they dont have top driver - Fisichella was last two years completly in Alonso`s shadow, with winning package he couldnt finish even second or third in championship. Kovalainen is rookie, so he needs to learn a lot before he could be championship contender.

McLaren has again great line up, but its hard to belive that this years car will be competive enough for winning a championship, after trubles they had last seasions... I hope that Hamilton will success, his driving in GP2 was great (especially in Turkey ).

So all top teams has cons and prons, so it is big question who will be the best ...

I thought Toyota has the biggest budget at 4-500 million.

Anyways, I think it's going to be a very exciting year. F1 Racing's December issue said that they think McLaren have great potential this year. Of course they had great potential last year and we saw how that ended up. It's tough to say who'll be on top this year with all the driver changes and changes within the teams. I can't wait for the season to start!!

awesome post easy

few more subtext twists:
    1.)How will Alonso fair on a team without a veteran teamate to aid in team tactics a la Fisi?
    2.)How will team chemistry affect: Ferrari (co #1s? We'll see...), McLaren (if Hamilton and Alonso qualify close at Melbourne, I expect some "theatrics" out of the gate )?
    3.) How much did McLaren tank the 2nd half of 06 campaign in order to prep for the defending champ to take over? We kind of saw this happen with 2nd half of Ferrari 05, does McLaren get its act together without Adrian Newey?
    4.) The year of the young guns? Kubica, Rosberg & co. need to start making gains on their potential, otherwise they'll turn into Montoyas
    5.) Speaking of Montoya, how will he do in Daytona?
    6.) Rule changes: I'm not sure what they are, but I'm sure they'll throw a wrench into our prognostications

I can't wait to see 1-2 Kimi Massa out the gates in Melbourne and both taking the first turn as agressively as Prost-Senna.
    If Alonso's car can give him some pace and Kubica/Rosberg can get in the mix, we might have a great F1 season, not just a Ferrari show...

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    I can't wait to see 1-2 Kimi Massa out the gates in Melbourne and both taking the first turn as agressively as Prost-Senna.

Talking about Prost...for those interested he is now dominating car races on ice http://www.tropheeandros.com/

Sorry it's in French...

Ferrari: will fall behind, Schumacher and Brawn are not obsolete - Raikkoenen is not famous for their development efforts either. Schumacher simply overwhelmed everybody with his enthusiasm and effort, his predecessor would have to change his habits to perform well.

McLaren: the most promising team this year in my eyes - good drivers, enough enough time to develop a decent car, all surrounding variables have settled (management, sponsors, HQ)

Renault: should be still competitive with Kovalainen, I could see Fisichella being replaced by Piquet sooner or later. He seems to be a very nice person, so it'd be a sad thing for sure...

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Talking about Prost...for those interested he is now dominating car races on ice http://www.tropheeandros.com/

Only after they kicked out Yvan Muller, who does pretty well at Dakar this year!

I agree with Ferdie on the analisis.

I'm also looking foward to see Kubica's performance, I see him as a great promise and hope he does well, he reminds me of Alonso when he started.

Wonder how Massa and Kimi will get along, up until now, the roles of the two drivers in that team have been very defined, one is the title contender and the order the submissive squire, but now... I still think Kimi will outshine Massa as the season moves on.

One of the best things this season is that there is only one tire manufacturer now, which is good for the sport since they started to play too big of a role above all else. I'm sure the past-michelin teams will catch up soon to the already-accustomed-to-Bridgestone teams.

If McLaren's presentation of the 2007 F1 car yesterday in Valencia is any indication, McLaren people are very optimistic & confident for this year. There has never been such a big presentation: 250,000 people, 2hour show with fireworks, tons of media, etc, etc. But the reality is they haven't even won a race last year and haven't won a championship since 1999, though Renault's numbers weren't better before the two-straight victories of Alonso either.

Re Ferdie and Carlos: I'm not so sure.
    We were in the same situation last year with McLaren: high hopes, great press releases for their beautiful 2006 F1 car, and very little to no results. Their drivers became frustrated and the team chemistry fell apart. Because Hamilton is so green, Alonso will have to work close with Dennis and show a lot of leadership to lead the team. This will really test his mettle...
    Remember, their reliability problems began to take note in 2005, but they became vapidly dangerous in 2006. They lost Adrian Newey to Red Bull and how has this problem been solved?

Also re Ferrari's loss of Schummacher: I understand what a vocal and communicative driver can do for a team, but I'm not so convinced the loss of Schummi will lead to their downfall. I think they made some strides around Massa towards the end of 2006 and the introduction of Raikkonen surely reinvigorated their efforts.

Great note with the tyres, something that fell into the back of my mind. A more even playing field always makes for better driving.

Now F1 will soon have to come to the realization that its current reliance on technological prowess (downforce) is truly overiding the competitiveness of its driving

Quote:
    Hurst said:Alonso will have to work close with Dennis and show a lot of leadership to lead the team. This will really test his mettle...

I agree, this is something he hasn't faced yet and I'm very intrigued into see how Alonso copes with this, and if he is able to handle it or not. I think De La Rosa will be a big help in this, he is the most gentlemanish, goodharted, down-to-earth and level-headed person in the F1 lineup, and I think will be a great influence teamed up with Alonso..

News update: Today Alonso had his first contact with the McLaren F1 car! with lots of fans at the track watching.

... after 15 laps, the engine broke!!

SN: one of the BMW cars also broke at the same track today, and the Renualt tested by Fisico over at the Jerez track also broke today. So maybe its not that premonitory

I heard about the various engine failures too. It's even more surprising given that the teams have not been allowed to introduce new engines for this year. They are only some minor modifications allowed to them. So the engines which worked last year are now failing? Well, I guess it shows that it's a whole package. You adjust one thing, it affects something else...

There's a few more bits 'n' pieces I thought I would mention: did you guys know that BMW Sauber is now designing its first car under the control of BMW? The previous car was a Sauber creation since it was developed for 2006 during the second half of 2005 before BMW bought Sauber. But more importantly, BMW Sauber has now designed its first car with the new wind tunnel at Hinwil in Switzerland. Hopefully, they will have found some extra downforce.

I believe the 2007 Red Bull Racing car is the first car to be designed under Adrian Newey. I am fascinated to see what improvements he has been able to make. We all know what a genius he was at McLaren.

I must also say how disappointed I have been with Mike Gascoigne since he moved to Toyota. He was amazing at Renault. What happened with him? Apparently, he is unhappy with all the commuting he has to do between Cologne in Germany (where Toyota F1 is based) and the UK where his wife and kids are. It doesn't seem to be working out for him.

Is it just me or is Reubens Barrichello very quiet during this winter period? No interviews. None of his appearances at corporate/sponsorship events have been reported in the F1 media. Maybe he has withdrawn a bit since he has been outshone by Jenson Button? I hope not - he's a terrific guy. A somewhat inconsistent racer but I hope he does better this year.

For me, there's a real sense of uncertainty given Schumi's retirement. Who will fill the void? Alonso did it with the right car and a great team in Renault. Can he continue to be the dominant force at a team like McLaren which has endured one of its worst years in 2006 (not a single GP win - truly shocking!)

I'm sure we'll all be following the pre-season events and hype...hope it's going to be a thrilling season (sorry seesson as Alonso would pronounce it! )

Just to pick up on some of the talk about Schumi. Guys, when he joined Ferrari, they hadn't had a F1 drivers champion in about 20 years since the days of Jody Sheckter AFAIK.

Sure, Ferrari assembled a great inner core of Jean Todt, Ross Braun, M Schumi etc but if there is one man who made it happen, it was MS. Sure, his personality was deeply flawed. He bent and broke rules in his ambition to win and he was arrogant. BUT, this man took a team that was on its knees and gradually built it up. I remember reading about the early days when MS first joined Ferrari. He would be there at 10pm at night on a Saturday working with the engineers to develop the car. He pushed the guys around him to their limit in order to perfect the car. He expected perfection from himself and from others. Whatever we think of him as a person, we simply have to respect his ability and determination as a driver.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    [...] see how Alonso copes with this, and if he is able to handle it or not. I think De La Rosa will be a big help in this, he is the most gentlemanish, goodharted, down-to-earth and level-headed person in the F1 lineup, and I think will be a great influence teamed up with Alonso..

Looks as if McLaren is in the hands of the Spaniards this season...

I'd say de la Rosa can cope with quite a bit of development duties this year, he has been and will be a great contribution this season. Don't know anything about Hamiltons development abilities, Alonso surely can learn a bit at McLaren. Anyways, there seem to be a bigger gap between drivers' and engineers' duties at McLaren, more than on other teams at the front end. What surprised me, is the statement that Alonso has been declared as no.1 driver in the team prior to the season's opening. This hasn't been the case at McLaren for as long as I can remember and Ron Dennis was usually teasing Ferrari for their no.1 strategy with Schumacher.

I am very curious how Hamilton, Kovalainen and Massa will perform next to their settled teammates - this should be, apart from the new team & driver constellations, the most interesting subject this year.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    [...] Sure, his personality was deeply flawed. He bent and broke rules in his ambition to win and he was arrogant. BUT, this man took a team that was on its knees and gradually built it up. I remember reading about the early days when MS first joined Ferrari. He would be there at 10pm at night on a Saturday working with the engineers to develop the car. He pushed the guys around him to their limit in order to perfect the car. He expected perfection from himself and from others. Whatever we think of him as a person, we simply have to respect his ability and determination as a driver.

Exactly my point of view. The question remains, why Raikkonen was reluctant to participate in development at McLaren. He either a. has been a lazy guy or b. was frustrated by McLaren's team mentality.

Let's see, how he fares at Ferrari this year.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    There's a few more bits 'n' pieces I thought I would mention: did you guys know that BMW Sauber is now designing its first car under the control of BMW? The previous car was a Sauber creation since it was developed for 2006 during the second half of 2005 before BMW bought Sauber. But more importantly, BMW Sauber has now designed its first car with the new wind tunnel at Hinwil in Switzerland. Hopefully, they will have found some extra downforce.

Anytime an F1 team transitions as BMW did to Sauber last year, the first year will be frustrating and somewhat out of their control. This is the first year that BMW will be able to flex its own might in the arena...no more excuses

Quote:

I believe the 2007 Red Bull Racing car is the first car to be designed under Adrian Newey. I am fascinated to see what improvements he has been able to make. We all know what a genius he was at McLaren.

With Newey behind the show, the young pups driving will have an even shorter leash. No room for error anymore guys, no more marketing favors (Speed).

Quote:

I must also say how disappointed I have been with Mike Gascoigne since he moved to Toyota. He was amazing at Renault. What happened with him? Apparently, he is unhappy with all the commuting he has to do between Cologne in Germany (where Toyota F1 is based) and the UK where his wife and kids are. It doesn't seem to be working out for him.

It feels like it doesn't matter how much talent/money you throw at Toyota, it seems like they squander it away?
    I think they probably need a more effecient management system and perhaps some leadership. God knows Ralf wasn't the biggest cheerleader .

Quote:

Is it just me or is Reubens Barrichello very quiet during this winter period? No interviews. None of his appearances at corporate/sponsorship events have been reported in the F1 media. Maybe he has withdrawn a bit since he has been outshone by Jenson Button? I hope not - he's a terrific guy. A somewhat inconsistent racer but I hope he does better this year.

This is Rubens' "put up or shutup" moment; always behind the shadow of Schummi, he was given free-reign in BAR and rarely outdueled his partner (who seems to be the quintessential underachiever, anyways ). Rubens doesn't have any more slack to run his yap. Maybe he's trying to keep things hush hush and pickup his fat check

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Exactly my point of view. The question remains, why Raikkonen was reluctant to participate in development at McLaren. He either a. has been a lazy guy or b. was frustrated by McLaren's team mentality.

Let's see, how he fares at Ferrari this year.

I think it is fair enough to say that Raikkonen has a very volatile personality. He's not the most open and vocal "leader" type "Schummiesque" prototype driver. With that being said, I think his talent is undoubted...perhaps on par with Alonso.

For me, success in Formula 1 is more than perfect lines and qualifying. Look at the slew of test-drivers. They can drive the pants off an F1 car. Look at Formula 3000 drivers, Champ Car drivers (ahem Bourdais) etc... There is a lot of talent out there. Look at the everchanging bottom half drivers. It seems like every year, there is a new shuffle, as names come and go.

What differentiates Schumi, Alonso, Raikkonen from the pack, is a few qualities:

1.) Unparalelled ambition on the track. These guys go toe to toe with anyone. They don't back down and they know how to grind the race out to the wire. F1 isn't about being able to put out a fast lap, it's about being able to grind out 50 and taking your 1 opportunity 2 hours into it, at 35 Celsius, with millions on the line and not blowing it.
    A lot of drivers are content with a top 10. Only a few truly drive to win.

2.) Decision making/communication: Schumi's the classic example, but look at Alonso. Sheperded by Flavio, he seems impervious to fault. Rarely do you see him make a mental gaff or get rattled by events on the track. True sign of a champ. Does Raikkonen have this? We'll see

3.) Race-situation driving: How many times have we seen opening gate crashes by bottom/mid level drivers? It seems to happen fairly often...How often do we see breathtaking passes/narrow collisions by the drivers? Only by the elite drivers. Think of the narrow skirmish between Alonso and Schummi last season, as both went inches away from disaster, but both had the prowess and concentration to succeed. How about Raikkonen's pass on Fisichella at Suzuka?
    Only the elite F1 drivers show the ability to almost halt the laws of physics and transcend them for brief moments of exuberant concentration, enough to make the impossible possible.

This is what we see in Alonso, what we saw in Schummi, what we have seen somewhat in Raikkonen and what we hope to see in Rosberg, Kubica, hopefully for Button.

This is why we watch F1.

Hurst,

I couldn't agree more with your analysis except for the comment about the relative talents of Alonso and Raikkonen.

I'm neutral between the two of them so hopefully I can offer an unbiased view.

Alonso has the complete set of skills. His driving ability is as good as anyone in the last 15 years (don't want to go back further than that since it's hard to compare eras). He is fiercely determined. Handles pressure lap after lap. He can shepherd an ailing car for many laps just to get it home (e.g. if he has a tyre vibration etc) and he can soak up pressure from a faster car behind him (like he did more than once with Schumi last year). He has the patience to execute precise, defensive plans (e.g. braking more than he needed to when approaching turns and then using the superior traction of the Renault out of the corners to pull away from the Ferrari). He doesn't make mistakes. Towards the end of last season, in one race he made up so much ground on Schumi. He has real fight and determination (he felt the authorities were helping Schumi beat him so this really fired him up).

I just don't think Raikkonen has all these special skills. Kimi is out and out fast. I would say that given identical cars, Kimi would be fractionally quicker than Alonso. But, think back to whenever Kimi has had a problem which hasn't caused an immediate retirement: he hasn't had the patience to fight it out and retrieve what he can from a bad position. A real champion knows how to minimise the points damage from a poor weekend. Alonso plays a much smarter long-term game than Kimi.

The only weakness I see Alonso having is his ego. Sure, he is a truly amaaaaazing driver all round but nothing justifies the kind of pride we saw from him in 2006. Becoming the youngest F1 champion in 2005 really went to his head and we saw an unattractive side of him IMO. I like humility in people. Alonso was an equally able but more humble man in 2005. I'd like to see that man again. Federer has no such pride despite being every bit as able in his own sport as Alonso is in his.

The other weakness Alonso MAY have is this: how will he cope with an inferior/unreliable car? Will he let it get him down? Will he remain professional (i.e fair)? Will he bend rules to stop faster opponents overtaking? He made a big issue about F1 no longer being a "sport" when the authorities kept ruling against him. It will be interesting to see if he upholds the same lofty ideals if things aren't going his way. I hope so. I want to see the nobler side of him emerge much more. The side which will praise an opponent and give due credit when that opponent has outshone him. My reading of his character is that I don't see Alonso having a big-hearted nature. Magnanimous in both victory and defeat. He has the approach of a small-town man who has clawed his way up to the top. I don't think this nature will change.

It's going to be a fascinating season. I just can't wait to see how things will pan out in the first part of the season before F1 hits the European tracks...

Excellent points easy. I think you've convinced me about the Raikkonen Alonso comparison. Raikkonen may have more pure speed in terms of "hot laps" with equal cars, but Alonso surely has demonstrated more intangibles. Now that their roles are reversed, I'm sure we can see more sides of these athletes in the 07 season

I agree as well. I'm curious to see how Alonso will cope with a car that can break every other race, ?will he be mature enough? ?will let it get the best of him and remain clam and focused? this is want I what I'm curious to see and find out, I think he is so determined and so competitive, that he may not be able to handle the fustration. It reminds me of Schumacher when he started, same determination-competitive personality as Alonso, and was nothing like the Schummacher that just retired.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I agree as well. I'm curious to see how Alonso will cope with a car that can break every other race, ?will he be mature enough? ?will let it get the best of him and remain clam and focused? this is want I what I'm curious to see and find out, I think he is so determined and so competitive, that he may not be able to handle the fustration. It reminds me of Schumacher when he started, same determination-competitive personality as Alonso, and was nothing like the Schummacher that just retired.

I have to agree 100%, and excellent post _easy.

Alonso has essentially a new score card and team to build after leaving Renault - just like MS did when he went to an ailing Ferrari team.

All Ferrari had when MS joined was history and tradition just like McLaren has currently. MS made that team!

If McLaren improve with Alonso there it's likley going to be due to his hard work in helping them develop the car -and making it reliable(!) - which I think he is eager and able to do. (Long winded sentence to stress the long hours he will work!)

I have not seen this determination from Kimi, - Mika had it - BTW thought Mika was F1 'testing' recently?

Interstingly, Kimi is going to a team with plenty of wins last year but essentially a whole new crew. This is a unique challenge but also one which is going to require 'MS style' long hours to develop the car. I hope I am wrong, but, I do not see Kimi going that extra mile/Km (which may explain why lack of reliability will follow him to Ferrari in my estimation - though the new engine regs will be trouble as well).

After watching Alonso win his first GP in Hungary 2003 I knew he would be the next World Champion after MS (I love how he lapped MS in that one).

Kimi is quick in a 10-20 lap kind of way (Montoya in 0-5), Alonso gets faster and faster as he senses the finish. MS had the same urgency and ability to focus. (Sorry, but when Jenson won there was no one left in terms of usual contenders, what a shame!)

Both Alonso and MS seem to use the car as an extension of their finger-tips. Kimi tries to be the master of the car and fights to be smooth - more like extension of his fist.

Watch Alonso turn in,... not exactly smooth, in fact abrupt sometimes, but with flawless instincts and perfect timing. It is a difficult style to emulate if you don't have the talent to match the reflexes of the car.

Anyone can learn and drive a fast line, from there it's a matter of pushing the envelope and matching your reflexes to the cars.

Perhaps this season will even the field and then we will see the best driver, following MS, emerge.

Hope they do not change practice or qualifying again!

Drive right and watch for me and my 997 in Montreal and Indy this year, wearing red as always.

I agree with a lot of what's been said already but would like to add that, IMO, Kimi is a potential car-breaker. His number of DNF's with McLaren surely can't be down to bad luck entirely - surely his driving style must have contributed?

The Ferrari, by contrast, is so reliable and a tough nut to crack. If this remains the case in 2007 then Kimi will run away with the title. Conversely, if McLaren remains vulnerable and the DNF's continue, Alonso will give in and blame everyone bar himself.

I heard that Toyota may switch to Lexus branding. This would surely lead to the quietest F1 car ever.

Quote:
    John H said:
    [...] IMO, Kimi is a potential car-breaker. His number of DNF's with McLaren surely can't be down to bad luck entirely - surely his driving style must have contributed?

The Ferrari, by contrast, is so reliable ... If this remains the case in 2007 then Kimi will run away with the title. Conversely, if McLaren remains vulnerable and the DNF's continue, Alonso will give in and blame everyone bar himself...

Agree 100% John.

There's bad luck and then there's really consistent sh*tty luck, the kind that Kimi, Montoya and Mark Webber routinely suffered. I believe that they partly contributed to their own downfalls through a mixture of recklessness and not treating their cars gently enough.

Put it this way, most women enjoy a bit of rough sex occasionally but if you do it that way all the time, don't be surprised if you have to see a gynaecologist.

I'm not so sure Kimi will run away with the title. Felipe was sometimes quicker than MS in the last third of last season so let's not rule him out yet.

I think it's a straight fight between Ferrari and McLaren where Ferrari will win. Fisi (for Renault) is just not up to the mark. Kubica (BMW Sauber) and Button (Honda) will occasionally take some glory along the way.

And yes, I predict Alonso will find this a very frustrating season and you really hit the nail on the head: he will blame everyone especially his car for his failure but not himself. Saving money in his bank account will not provide a lasting consolation. F1 is a very fickle, impatient business where both the accolades and the rotten vegetables respectively are thrown at people very promptly if they win or fail. I just hope he doesn't lose what he's got while he goes through a period of car failures etc.

Mika Hakkinen's test was a one-off.

Ferrari lost a couple of key figures (so the potential is there for some loss of focus/some destabilisation) but it's not "a whole new crew". After all, there are about 750 people in the Ferrari set up..

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Mika Hakkinen's test was a one-off.

Ferrari lost a couple of key figures (so the potential is there for some loss of focus/some destabilisation) but it's not "a whole new crew". After all, there are about 750 people in the Ferrari set up..

You are correct on both accounts (but Mika re-joining would be fun - might taunt MS out of retirement ), Ferrari did lose the most important folks though - JT, RB, MS and I believe the engine guy - I am not able to recall the name - sorry.

Do you agree Alonso is faster (race distance) and appears more dedicated than Kimi?

So Felipe has already test driven the F2007 last week yet Kimi is still driving the F2006 today and hasn't driven the F2007 yet. Why? Seems crazy to me. If I were Jean Todt, I would want Kimi to have as much seat time as possible to adjust to the car, Bridgestone tyres etc etc. Felipe must be laughing with glee. After all, the most important battle is against one's team-mate who has the same equipment.

Also, Kimi's contract with McLaren expired on 31st Dec 2006. Why so long to get him into the car? Crazy to waste 3 weeks of testing/development time. Hello?? The first race starts in 53 days time.

Regarding the issue of Kimi's approach, it's been interesting to read Kimi say that he has a laid-back style so he is not trying to be another Michael Schumacher. I don't accept this. He's really only saying that he leaves the job of car development to the engineers and that he isn't prepared to put in the after hours effort to help them. This is poor form from him. I just don't think he is fired up but then again, when have we seen him fired up about anything, even the numerous engine failures he had at McLaren?

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    2.) Decision making/communication: Schumi's the classic example, but look at Alonso. Sheperded by Flavio, he seems impervious to fault. Rarely do you see him make a mental gaff or get rattled by events on the track. True sign of a champ. Does Raikkonen have this? We'll see

I disagree with the Alonso part. He has thrown little temper tantrums and such, and has gotten really frustrated by not being able to get by some of the slower cars at times.

I think Raikkonen's temper has only showed itself when his cars have failed him (or he's pushed them too hard). I think he does have the cool-manner and patience of a champion.

The new ING F1 Renault R27 car was launched today. The colour scheme is an unholy mess. Dark blue and yellow (Renault's colours?) plus white and bright orange (ING's colours). Why couldn't they just choose the white and orange of their sponsor? Yuk!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    The new ING F1 Renault R27 car was launched today. The colour scheme is an unholy mess. Dark blue and yellow (Renault's colours?) plus white and bright orange (ING's colours). Why couldn't they just choose the white and orange of their sponsor? Yuk!

I just looked at it and from the side and front it is a mess, too busy, however from the top where no one will see it, it is the best design.

I just looked at all available 2007 cars and the only interesting paint job is the honda, just barely. We will have to see in a couple of days what red bul can produce. Years ago there were some very attractive paint schemes.

The best was the Lotus JPS in black and gold. The bennetton always had a nice paint job and the marlboro mclaren had to be seen in person to believe the brightness of the wild day-glo orange that appeared red on TV. Even the ferrari was better then without any white.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

I have seen these colors (without sponsors) a week or two ago but they said it wasnt the final deal, it was just temporary, and I though to myself thank god because they are horrible, turn out the ugly part was not the temporary part

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

I have seen these colors (without sponsors) a week or two ago but they said it wasnt the final deal, it was just temporary, and I though to myself thank god because they are horrible, turn out the ugly part was not the temporary part

Well here it is, what on earth has happened
    If this car wins a race in 07, it will be the ugliest winner in a very long time.
    You could almost think it was a BMW (because all BMWs are ugly )

Renault reveals new look for new era

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761721 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434997 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260311 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257401 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80875 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871816 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807168 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM