Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

RC:
    I certainly plan to put my son into some proper driver's ed courses and trainings when he gets his driver's license. My daughter always says I should not show off (not even on parking lots or tracks) when I have my son with me because he could try to copy me and I start to believe that she is right.      

In September I am going with  the local Lamborghini club  to Clermont -Ferrand  to drive on the Michelin track . 

My 13 year old son is coming with me as kids will be allowed to drive our cars  ( which usually is not allowed ).Smiley

The only other car he has driven was a Land Rover Defender  on dirt roads in South Africa . 

It will be interesting to see him in the RS Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

throt:

Hahaha, your girl giving you good advice there, buddy, funny. kiss..

M2, he is not silly is he. A nice sensible first car indecision...

And guys that rev along and up to 6000rpm in towns must have small dicks indecision. Do not tell the kiddies that though..indecision..

He is married, has three kids and is pretty wealthy. Smiley A bit younger than me though (in his 40s). I do not know him too well, just from some car meets. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Gnil:
    RC:
    I certainly plan to put my son into some proper driver's ed courses and trainings when he gets his driver's license. My daughter always says I should not show off (not even on parking lots or tracks) when I have my son with me because he could try to copy me and I start to believe that she is right.      

In September I am going with  the local Lamborghini club  to Clermont -Ferrand  to drive on the Michelin track . 

My 13 year old son is coming with me as kids will be allowed to drive our cars  ( which usually is not allowed ).Smiley

The only other car he has driven was a Land Rover Defender  on dirt roads in South Africa . 

It will be interesting to see him in the RS Smiley

They are allowed to drive the cars or to drive in the cars? I know that some driving events and tracks forbid kids under a certain age but letting a kid of 13 years drive a car himself would be...how to put it...insane. I know it happens but I wouldn't do it. Not only because I would be scared what happens to my car (or my kid), it could awaken some "desires" in him I cannot stop anymore. I remember when I drove my first car at 15 (legally, it was a training course, now it is from age 16 on...) and I was so hot driving my own car afterwards, I was always thinking of getting the car keys from my father and... Smiley Luckily, I got my motorcycle (reduced capacity class, speed limited to 80 kph) at age 16, so I had my share of fun on wheels.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I started driving legally at age 14 (drove in closed off places before that, and rode bikes in street before that too) and I turned out all right. The sooner the better IMO, the worst thing is if someone never becomes confortable with driving, dislikes it or is even afriaid/insecured at it, those make the worst and most dangerous drivers, and its often associated with learning to drive too late, like those that really start after 20 years old onwards. Also the sooner the better motor skills for driving you will likely develop.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

I started driving legally at age 14 (drove in closed off places before that, and rode bikes in street before that too) and I turned out all right. The sooner the better IMO, the worst thing is if someone never becomes confortable with driving, dislikes it or is even afriaid/insecured at it, those make the worst and most dangerous drivers, and its often associated with learning to drive too late, like those that really start after 20 years old onwards. Also the sooner the better motor skills for driving you will likely develop.

You were lucky...I was lucky. Two of my friends died under the age of 18 in a motorcycle (actually Vespa Smiley) and car accidents. When I think about the stupid stuff I did at that age, I still get goosebumps. Smiley

--

Saw a new R8 spider today in Berlin. Looks just as ugly as the original R8 spider. It's just a bad design.

noone1:

Saw a new R8 spider today in Berlin. Looks just as ugly as the original R8 spider. It's just a bad design.

Wouldnt say that - the car looks quiet good. 

After all - still amazed how many boys been standing on the street and waving thumbs up. Had the neighbors boy in the car he said - for all the boys this is the biggest dream. Apparently they do something right! ;)

Lars997:
    noone1:

Wouldnt say that - the car looks quiet good

After all - still amazed how many boys been standing on the street and waving thumbs up. Had the neighbors boy in the car he said - for all the boys this is the biggest dream. Apparently they do something right! ;)

Just ignore him, Lars...he loves to provoke. Smiley

He probably looked at the R8 Spyder from a bus or taxi window...and the view was distorted. Smiley

--

noone1:

Smiley,, you tread carefully, buddy, if you want to carry on participating on Rennteam Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

RC:
    Lars997:
    noone1:

Wouldnt say that - the car looks quiet good

He probably looked at the R8 Spyder from a bus or taxi window...and the view was distorted. Smiley

Easy tiger Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

R8 MTM Supercharged (802 hp / 710 Nm)  vs R8 V10+ (610 hp / 560 Nm)

0-50: 1,5  /  1,2
    0-100: 3,0  /  2,9
    0-130: 4,1  /  4,3
    0-160: 5,5  /  6,0
    0-200: 8,2  /  9,3
    0-250: 13,1  /  15,7
    0-300: 22,2  /  28,9

0-402,34m:  10,49  /  10,64

Tires: Michelin PS4S  /  Michelin PS Cup 2

BiTurbo:

Which proves my point that having such mods in speed limited countries is just money burned. Totally worthless. 

--

RC:
    They are allowed to drive the cars or to drive in the cars? I know that some driving events and tracks forbid kids under a certain age but letting a kid of 13 years drive a car himself would be...how to put it...insane. I know it happens but I wouldn't do it. Not only because I would be scared what happens to my car (or my kid), it could awaken some "desires" in him I cannot stop anymore. I remember when I drove my first car at 15 (legally, it was a training course, now it is from age 16 on...) and I was so hot driving my own car afterwards, I was always thinking of getting the car keys from my father and... Smiley Luckily, I got my motorcycle (reduced capacity class, speed limited to 80 kph) at age 16, so I had my share of fun on wheels.

The kids can drive the cars . I have never seen this before . It was presented to me as a very special event meant so the kids can try our supercars . There will be an instructor for them . Not sure how it will be done exactly . I am a bit worried about my car , of course, but I am sure it will be done properly .  

I am not too worried about this son . He is careful . I would be much more worried with my youngest . The other day they tried our new boat . The two older ones just want slowly and carefully . The youngest put full throttle and did not want to take it off Smiley

I believe in letting they learn under supervision and with good teaching . I hope they will not do like I did . After my mother taught me how to drive at 15 , I took the car on the main roads when she was not there Smiley Stupid it was , even if it was country roads with hardly any traffic . 

--

RC:
    BiTurbo:

Which proves my point that having such mods in speed limited countries is just money burned. Totally worthless. 

I go even a step further - I think you hardly can feel the difference between 100 to 200 when it takes just a second longer - especially when the 0 to 100 the lower HP car is faster.

On top of it - think about reliability - the MTM car will most probably be engine broken in a very short while.

plus sounds much less when supercharged

Agreed but especially in the US(!), many owners seem to have such installs, incl. those famous Biturbo aftermarket kits.

I get it when someone wants to do drag racing in this car but for road driving? Smiley

Btw: "Someone" (not me but I don't want to tell the details here for a reason) had a comparison R8 V10 Plus vs. Huracan Performante. Straight line Autobahn, various speeds. Not a bit of a difference, ZERO. Zilch. Smiley In any speed range. Unbelievable.

--

Why would you ruin that atmospheric V10 with a supercharger? heart 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I'm just driving an RS7 Performance plus. Car produces 610HP. I would never ever choose this car over my old SRT. Why - that Turbo needs always one second until it delivers. It feels not sharp enough. And once it delivers the output it delivers it almost uncontrollable. Compared to the big V8 in the SRT or in my SLS it is hell of a difference and I dont like it at all. 

Saying that - that V10 is such a beautiful engine - why should you ruin its characteristics with a Turbo?

Lars997:

I'm just driving an RS7 Performance plus. Car produces 610HP. I would never ever choose this car over my old SRT. Why - that Turbo needs always one second until it delivers. It feels not sharp enough. And once it delivers the output it delivers it almost uncontrollable. Compared to the big V8 in the SRT or in my SLS it is hell of a difference and I dont like it at all. 

Saying that - that V10 is such a beautiful engine - why should you ruin its characteristics with a Turbo?

Had the same feeling after that RS6 Performance test-drive (and ended up with the R8, remember?). Once you go n/a engine, it is difficult to be happy with a turbo, unless the sheer performance is more important that the drive feel.

I miss my SRT but...now it comes...only the engine and the sound. This engine in a small SUV like the Macan or the GLC and it would be perfect. Or even in a sports car but the Charger or Challenger are too big and heavy.

--

RC:
    Lars997:

Had the same feeling after that RS6 Performance test-drive (and ended up with the R8, remember?). Once you go n/a engine, it is difficult to be happy with a turbo, unless the sheer performance is more important that the drive feel.

I miss my SRT but...now it comes...only the engine and the sound. This engine in a small SUV like the Macan or the GLC and it would be perfect. Or even in a sports car but the Charger or Challenger are too big and heavy.

I agree! So far - I didnt drive any Turbo engine which was 100% pleasing me. If I listen to Chris Harris review of some cars and hear - you cant feel a Turbo lack - I ask myself if those guys keep the car non stop on torque or why they dont feel this. In daily life it is simply not much fun.

Especially since I drive that RS7 right after that beautiful V10 R8 I couldn't any more disappointed.

I understand you with the R8 - I'm already checking the car offerend on the market - really tempted as the prices for barely used cars (up to 5000km) are 50 % off MSRP - very very tempting. But - no space, and another two seater - just doesn't make sense. 

Be careful with cars registered in 2015, mostly 24h Experience cars. They have low mileage (under 10k km) but were used for track racing, club events, driver's ed events and similar stuff. Also, it seems that 2015 engines lack a little bit of power (just a rumor though), Audi is rumored to have optimized the manufacturing processes at their Hungary engine factory in early 2016. Apparently this is valid for the Huracan engines as well.

"Good" R8 V10 Plus with low mileage (under 10k km) are available starting at around 150k EUR...and there are great lease deals out there as well.

Also make sure that you have the OEM sport exhaust (apparently not retrofittable), many cars out there on the market lack certain options, especially the OEM sport exhaust or the Laser headlights (not a must).

--

RC:

Be careful with cars registered in 2015, mostly 24h Experience cars. They have low mileage (under 10k km) but were used for track racing, club events, driver's ed events and similar stuff. Also, it seems that 2015 engines lack a little bit of power (just a rumor though), Audi is rumored to have optimized the manufacturing processes at their Hungary engine factory in early 2016. Apparently this is valid for the Huracan engines as well.

"Good" R8 V10 Plus with low mileage (under 10k km) are available starting at around 150k EUR...and there are great lease deals out there as well.

Also make sure that you have the OEM sport exhaust (apparently not retrofittable), many cars out there on the market lack certain options, especially the OEM sport exhaust or the Laser headlights (not a must).

Thanks for the valuable hints.

I got the itch for the R8 but my wife didn't. I stopped looking for cars. Will see if I have the urge after the summer break or if it is gone until then. Fact is - I would love to have a modern sports car again. But on the other hand - not much time to drive, so it should be a keeper. And then - there is still that Three-Wheeler toy (different story - if I find one it will be a keeper, if not than not). 

Agree - OEM Sport Exhaust is very important, it makes all the fun while driving this car. And Laser light - agree - not necessary at all. What I could see - Carbon is kind of the price driver in those cars. You easily can dump 25k€ for some carbon eye-candy into it. But - I did see too much Carbon in the last years, so I can avoid that. 

And third yes - I think the lease deals are so good, you are stupid when buying! Smiley

Lars997:
    RC:

not much time to drive

Talking about this yesterday. Just 6700 miles on my GT3 in 3 years and this year I have not driven it much tbh...The Mrs always states "whats the point of theses expensive cars if you do not drive them" Smiley....

I have priorities I have to cover before finding time for a drive, I even give my exercise priority..Smiley... Hopefully in the remaining months of the summer i shall get out more Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

I already have 17500 km on my R8 (first 2500 km or so were not done by me though), so I did 15000 km in aprox. 14 months. I cannot remember any car (not even a daily driver) I drove that much in. Keep in mind that I drive the R8 only on weekends and sometimes an hour or two on a single day during the week. I already did three vacations in this car though, which is also a first. Never loved any car I had that much and I am a little bit worried that I get too attached to it.

--

RC:

I get too attached to it.

Smiley,,, you huddle up to her. Have you named her, I have mine Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    RC:

I get too attached to it.

Smiley,,, you huddle up to her. Have you named her, I have mine Smiley...

Her? Smiley My car has chest hair. Smiley

No, I haven't named my car but my kids did. Tony (derived from Tony Stark...Iron Man Smiley). Yes, he has chest hair. A lot. Smiley

--

,,, ""Tony"", he has bush,,, too funny.  indecision kiss.

I call my baby ""Elsie""...indecision.....

I have a feeling now we are going to get called girliemen by someone on here we know because we have names for our rides, well i have anyway heart indecision...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

1500903422628images.jpg

--

Gnil:

1500903422628images.jpg

Smiley,,,

Whats your called, Gnil ?, or is that it, "Christine"....Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    Gnil:

1500903422628images.jpg

Smiley,,,

Whats your called, Gnil ?, or is that it, "Christine"....Smiley...

Calling a car is good for movies only .

Maybe you should change yours to Herbie and I' ll call then mine Christine  Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762377 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435326 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260500 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257550 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80945 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872235 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807603 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM