Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sport exhaust - disappointment

I just got the Gemballa (Remus) sport exhaust installed.
    Please be aware that this is the street legal version for the European Community markets, NOT the export version.
    Sound has improved slightly, there is a deeper V8 growl but you have to have very good ears to be able to actually hear the difference. A huge disappointment, I expected more.
    Of course it is better than the original sound but the difference is so minimal, not worth spending the money. Honestly. I still hope that the exhaust has to "burn free" first to get a decent sound and it might be the reason why it doesn't sound good right now. But at this point, immediately after install, it sounds slightly different and slightly louder thant the stock exhaust but not really impressive.
    The good thing is: at high speeds, the exhaust has the same sound as the stock exhaust, there is no danger of getting annoyed by a loud noise. The wind noise still covers the exhaust noise completely.

To Dario: if you have the choice to go for the EC approved version and the Export version of the exhaust, go for the Export version. At this point, the street legal version isn't worth the money.

I also installed two BMC sport airfilters. The "breathing" sound of the engine has enhanced in the upper rpm band but don't expect a better engine sound.

A strange thing after the exhaust and BMC airfilter install:
    under full acceleration, the boost pressure was always at 0.6 flat. Now the boost pressure gauge shows 0.7 bar. I don't know if it has something to do with the new exhaust but there is definetely a difference. I can't say if there is a performance increase.

Installed, the exhaust looks nice and it is fully compatible with the original exhaust pipes. Look at the picture.

I'm going to keep the exhaust for the next couple of thousand kms to see if it burns free and gets a better sound. I'll wait with posting a sound file until then, there isn't really much difference compared to the stock exhaust right now.

Re: Sport exhaust - disappointment

Stock end pipes with sport exhaust.

At least it doesn't look cheap as most of Gemballa exhaust and that's already a good thing.
    As to sound I'm surprised to hear your report, normally Gemballa sports exhaust are very loud, but not to the point of being to loud like most sport exhaust are from 2500/3000 with the horrible resonance. I'm sure it will get louder, speacilly with warm temperatures, but maybe not to the point you want.

J.Seven

Thanks a lot RC

You are really a good friend!

I'm waiting the price from Uwe...

I think next week i can order..and if i order i will order the Export version...i need a lot of sound,becouse i don't have too much power..

Thanks again
    Ciao
    Dario

I think it makes no sense to try and buy a streetlegal aftermarket exhaust. The difference to stock will always be too minimal to satisfy a sound addict, as you claim to be, RC. If you want sound, you have to live with illegality, at least in Switzerland (and I think the difference to the EU is no longer very big) ...

greets taz

Thats really strange the sound has to change in time after the brake in, and there are many street legal exhausts that make a very noticeable change in sound, just look at 996's conservative PSE, let alone aftermarket ones like Fabspeed or Europipe exhausts that can be prettey loud. Otherwise it makes no sense because the point of a street legal aftermaket exhaust is to change the sound noticeably, not a big performance gain, and if there is no sound change its a rip off (specially after being a market up Remus on top of it)... we will keep our finguers crossed

thanks RC! Don't be disappointed, you have a nice car there!! anyway why did you remove the "Cayenne Turbo" on the rear?

You guys just don't believe me, HUH!?!?

If you have a Turbo, just replace the muffler with S-pipes! It sounds GREAT--like the powerful V8 it is. It's NOT too loud, and I HATE too-loud or droning exhaust systems! See here for pics.

BTW I'm still shopping for different tailpipe tips. All the after-market tailpipes for the C-T are exhorbitantly priced and IMO don't look any better than the originals. I'll probably commission one. I wonder if Billy Boat's company* does custom work?

*--It, like me, lives in Phoenix.

I'm interested on the Cartronic exhaust with the Variable Sound System (CVSS).
    I don't know so much about this tuner,I will apreciate yours suggestions.
    http://www.cartronic-motorsport.de/

Quote:
    ANDORRA said:
    I'm interested on the Cartronic exhaust with the Variable Sound System (CVSS).
    I don't know so much about this tuner,I will apreciate yours suggestions.
    http://www.cartronic-motorsport.de/

I'm always a little bit cautious with systems which use the original housing. The flap system however sounds interesting but I hope it really improves sound.
    Personally, I don't have much experience with Cartronic.

A bit OT, but saw an FX45 lately, and it sounded great!
    US members, could you confirm that compared to the Cayenne?

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    A bit OT, but saw an FX45 lately, and it sounded great!
    US members, could you confirm that compared to the Cayenne?

I really can't understand why Porsche made the Cayenne V8 versions sound that quiet. I mean the Cayenne is supposed to be the sportscar under the SUVs, right? Do sportscars sound like that? A flap sport exhaust would have actually been the BEST solution for the Cayenne V8 versions. Want it loud? Turn it on, baby. Want it quiet with the kids and wife, turn it off. That simple. Shouldn't have needed an engineering master plan to do that.

I get more and more the feeling that Porsche's prime target customers were actually new customers and not customers who already own a Porsche sportscar. The whole setup of the Cayenne, all the little flaws and especially that annoying shifting/throttle delay indicate a different target market.
    The Cayenne is missing some charisma as the 911 has. This could have been avoided by introducing a few character points which actually belong to the 911. Sound, drive feel and...a slightly sportier look. OK, the Cayenne probably is the sportiest SUV out there on the market. But the steering could have been even more direct and the SPORT setting of the air suspension a little bit stiffer too. You can't have it all I guess.

Fanch

The FX45 sounds about the same as the S unmodified, its nothing really exciting, typical ricer. The TT is muffled by the blowers I feel.

I am in agreement with Jeffrey Behr, his solution for the TT will most likely sound the best, except that it may not be legal in some countries to remove the muffler all together.

With my secondary Cats removed, mine just passed US PA emissions with flying colors.

His descriptions of his sound makes it very much in line with my S with the secondary Cats bypassed, i.e. V8 Muscle, but not over powering. (yes we have discussed this and argued over it in the past).

RC

I told you 7-8 months ago about the new target market, which is a lot more foregiving in some ways because most buyers come from very inferior products (previous versions of MB / BMW /GM etc) and have no background in sport cars to draw on.

Did Porsche get it right ? for this market, I think so going by the numbers sold, the longer term will tell.

Quote:
    Mick said:
    I told you 7-8 months ago about the new target market, which is a lot more foregiving in some ways because most buyers come from very inferior products (previous versions of MB / BMW /GM etc) and have no background in sport cars to draw on.

Did Porsche get it right ? for this market, I think so going by the numbers sold, the longer term will tell.

I'm afraid you're right but this is actually where I see the problem for Porsche's future: they need to create a stronger bond to the product Porsche and the brand name Porsche sells right because of the sportscars reputation. Why did YOU buy a Porsche SUV? But if a Porsche SUV will be as good or as bad as any other modern SUV (Mercedes and BMW come out with great new products soon), I'm not sure people are willing to pay a premium price for the Porsche badge and the brand name only. Time will tell but I'm pretty sure that Porsche will be in serious trouble sooner or later with the Cayenne. And this is the point when they overwork the Cayenne completely and actually offer a product which should have been the first version of the Cayenne. A lot of current Cayenne owners will be very p.ss.d because the "new" Cayenne will look better, drive better and have more power.

If a Porsche becomes a mass product like BMW, Mercedes and Audi, it looses it's attraction. Porsche can built as many Carrera GT as they want, this won't help them in the future if they don't deliver competitve products too.
    A Porsche owner wants to have a special car, very powerful, performance-wise top of the line compared to other brands and nice looking too. The "new" Porsche target customer doesn't care if he drives a Porsche or a Mercedes or a BMW as long as it is something new and something "chic", trendy, whatever you want to call it.
    And the bad part is: Cayenne V6 and Cayenne S owners will be the real losers in the whole game because the markets will be flooded with used cars as soon as the new toys show up next year.
    But maybe I should just shut up and see what the future brings. Right now I'm a happy owner and I just hope Porsche gets my throttle/shifting delay fixed. I already have 2100 km on my car and no problems so far.

I added another picture of the sport exhaust install

You can see the Gemballa lettering if you look carefully.

Quote:
    Mick said:
    Fanch

The FX45 sounds about the same as the S unmodified, its nothing really exciting, typical ricer. The TT is muffled by the blowers I feel.

Are you sure? I drove the Cayenne S, and the FX45 sounds MUCH deeper and nicer than it.

IMO, the FX45 is what the Cayenne should have been. Add some Porsche-style headlights, and it looks like a Porsche design.

Quote:

IMO, the FX45 is what the Cayenne should have been. Add some Porsche-style headlights, and it looks like a Porsche design.

I agree with that statement! It's the kind of gutsy, idiosyncratic style that I wish Porsche was still doing.

And, while we're at it, I always thought the Audi TT shape would have made a great 'bathtub Porsche" revival.

I love the current cars, but I'd really love something a little gutsier. Was pulling a trailer with my truck this weekend and was passed by 350Z in full song.

I know, I know, it's not a Porsche, but I couldn't take my eyes off it.

Dain

Quote:
    Carrageous said:
    I love the current cars, but I'd really love something a little gutsier. Was pulling a trailer with my truck this weekend and was passed by 350Z in full song.
    Dain

That doesn't happen in my 996 TT. I had a 350Z come up behind me in traffic on the freeway. He made some aggressive driving motions that I saw in the mirror, so I pushed down on the long, thin pedal ... for a while.

He went bye-bye in the mirror

Cheers,

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    That doesn't happen in my 996 TT. I had a 350Z come up behind me in traffic on the freeway. He made some aggressive driving motions that I saw in the mirror, so I pushed down on the long, thin pedal ... for a while.

He went bye-bye in the mirror

Cheers,

Mike,
    One the things I've liked best about my 911's is that they handled differently than a truck pulling a trailer!

That said, you do get tired of all the Z's, Supras and hot RX7's wanting to race. On open roads, I leave them behind. In city traffic, I ignore them. Both are sort of pleasing, IMHO.

Once, following a truck on a country road with my wife, a suspected child molester in a MR2 passed and then cut in about 1/3rd of way past me, forcing me into the shoulder, as if he was driving NASCAR. I guess he thought he was in the big time and I'm sure he later bragged how he'd blown off a 911.

Had my wife not been in the car, it would have been murder. As it was, I had to cool my jets. GRRRRR

Of course, that was a 964. Had it been a 996 TT, I probably wouldn't have been behind the truck!

Dain

RC

I bought for one reason, it was the best SUV available. Since then however I am a total convert and will eventually go the opposite way to you and start buying sports cars.

Exhaust Tone FX45.

I nearly bought one of these prior to buying the Cayenne. I had 2 24hr test drives and totally disagree with the statement "that the FX is what the Cayenne should have been", its handling is sub standard, sound is pure ricer and style vergeing on a clowns foot which headlights would not improve.

Remember the purpose of the Cayenne, the FX is not fit for that purpose.

Quote:
    Mick said:
    I bought for one reason, it was the best SUV available. Since then however I am a total convert and will eventually go the opposite way to you and start buying sports cars.

That could have been my statement.

No matter what kind of customer Porsche had in mind, I belief that they have achieved another goal with the Cayenne: They found a lot of new clients which eventually start buying their sports cars because they swallowed the "bait" and are now hooked on (like myself and obviously Mick too).

Quote:
    Matt C said:
    They found a lot of new clients which eventually start buying their sports cars because they swallowed the "bait" and are now hooked on (like myself and obviously Mick too).

Sounds good but I'm not sure this is actually what they wanted to achieve. The Cayenne still lacks some "personality".
    I just wish Porsche would have made the Cayenne a little bit more "emotional", it feels more like a refined and tuned up Touareg and this is actually what I don't like about it.
    Emotions sell expensive cars.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Sounds good but I'm not sure this is actually what they wanted to achieve.

I agree that this was probably not their plan. But that doesn't really matter. I believe that their plan was to prevent existing sportscar customers from shopping elsewhere for their SUV needs and to attract new clients. Both goals have been reached. More and more 993/996 owners add a Cayenne to their stable. And if "Porsche-newbies" from the Cayenne-side start buying their sport cars ... worse things could happen to Porsche, don't you think?

Quote:
    RC said:
    The Cayenne still lacks some "personality".

I disagree on this one. IMHO, the Cayenne has some "personality". Otherwise it would not have created such a debate over its design.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803067 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448510 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266035 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90025 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6509 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885583 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833061 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM