Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New 997 pics

Hi Guys,

although I have been a member for some time now just enjoying everybodys posts this is the first time I'm posting.

I would have to agree that the 997 does look nice, but there is something that I think might be missing. From the interior shot I can't see any cup holders. Is this not a must for the American market? Was this not one of the reasons they upgraded the interior on the 996? Unless the gauge in the top is removable and it reveals a hole in order for the driver to place his cup.

Quote:
    conner said:
    hi, wenn du schon zwei orginal bilder gesehen hast , sag mir doch bitte mal wie die 19 " felgen nun letztendlich wirklich ausschaun ? sind es die mit den vielen löchern oder . . . ?

Was hast Du gegen die Felgen auf den Bildern mit dem getarnten gelben 997 C2?

Quote:

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Compared to this 997, I think the 996 will become a classic.
    The 997 is basically a rework of the 993, after complaining customers wished for the old 993 style once they saw the new 996.

The 996 styling whether ugly or sexy, is more pure than this 997. The 996 styling was in the least, someone's idea of how a 911 should evolve whether good or bad, it was pure.

The fact that the 997 looks like this will I think definitely improve the 996's values in years to come. I hated the 914 when it first came out, now I love it, b/c it was so specially different in its desigin, which is what the 996 was and really, what the 911 design philosophy was all about to begin with.

Truly I think Porsche is taking a step backwards with this model. When the 998, 999 or future models come out, I don't see us revering this 997 model 10 yrs from now, as much as we are with the 993 now or as much as we would be the 996 in a few years.

I am sure most of you are extremely happy right now with this design, but its truly a "manufactured design", as are many designs today, see also 2005 Mustang, and tons of reto designs which seem to be the norm out there.

Bangle may be odd with his designs at BMW, but wasn't the 911 design also odd back in 1964? That is what makes the 911 great.

Amen to everything you said (although I really hate Mr. Bangle).

About that round watch on top of the dash: If that is a standard on every 911, then I will hate that car and turn away from Porsche entirely. No kidding.

i couldn't agree more either!

and to proof: the bangle cars are growing on me!! i thought the Z4 was ugly when it was new. now i actually like it. same with the 996 -- man was i upset when i saw it for the first time. now i love it.

other designs, especially merc, are easy to the eye from the start -- but getting boring fast. when the current merc E class was new i thought "yeah nice looking". but two years later? place it next to a 5 series and it looks dated.

and retro design is even more transient IMO. look at the PT cruiser, the Z8 -- most people liked them from the first show appearance. but do they still?

Quote:

i couldn't agree more either!

and to proof: the bangle cars are growing on me!! i thought the Z4 was ugly when it was new. now i actually like it. same with the 996 -- man was i upset when i saw it for the first time. now i love it.

other designs, especially merc, are easy to the eye from the start -- but getting boring fast. when the current merc E class was new i thought "yeah nice looking". but two years later? place it next to a 5 series and it looks dated.

and retro design is even more transient IMO. look at the PT cruiser, the Z8 -- most people liked them from the first show appearance. but do they still?

The new 2 series from bangle is a joke, that car is ugly from every angle. The 7 series were ugly from the begining and are even uglier now. The 5 series and Z4 were the only ones that pleased me, although I I think they could have been much more charasmatic. The 5 series in five years will look like a cheap Hyunday, the Z4 will remain a charming looking car, not beautiful but with it's own soul.

That said, I agree that the 996 will become a classic, but that's just because every 911 are classic cars for the heritage they have. The 997 for sure will have it's place in car history, just like every other 911 build to date.

J.Seven

Quote:
    The new 2 series from bangle is a joke, that car is ugly from every angle. The 7 series were ugly from the begining and are even uglier now. The 5 series and Z4 were the only ones that pleased me, although I I think they could have been much more charasmatic. The 5 series in five years will look like a cheap Hyunday, the Z4 will remain a charming looking car, not beautiful but with it's own soul.

well-- there's no accounting for taste...

but IMO the 2 series will look good, i like the concept/spy shots i've seen so far. and in M2 spec it'll be a very fun car i think. i don't especially like the 1 series but maybe it's still too new

and to the 7: hmm, i wouldn't call it a beauty. but in black with big rims it does at least look special and impressive. i'd rather drive it than a merc s class. but as i said... no accounting for taste...

Quote:
    ggbh8 said:
    Hi Guys,

although I have been a member for some time now just enjoying everybodys posts this is the first time I'm posting.

I would have to agree that the 997 does look nice, but there is something that I think might be missing. From the interior shot I can't see any cup holders. Is this not a must for the American market? Was this not one of the reasons they upgraded the interior on the 996? Unless the gauge in the top is removable and it reveals a hole in order for the driver to place his cup.

That thing on the dash that looks like a clock ..... it's also the cupholder cover. When not using it to hold cups you cover the hole with that attractive analog clock.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:
    ggbh8 said:
    Hi Guys,

That thing on the dash that looks like a clock ..... it's also the cupholder cover. When not using it to hold cups you cover the hole with that attractive analog clock.

Funny!

I think everyone has it wrong. I believe that's a built-in Valentine One with an analog dial that pinpoints bears.

Dain

Wait and be surprised!!! i say one thing, theres a patent on it, like i know

Quote:
    Wait and be surprised!!! i say one thing, theres a patent on it, like i know

patented?

i've seen it before...

Hi Strebel,

could it be that you know more than you are saying?

I also guess, that this will not be an simple watch??? I also guess that this part will come as extra???

What's it? A 0-100 km/h meter? A properly working head-unit for the german toll-collect

Tell us about!

L@rs

yes i know more that i will tell you!!! i cant..
    i'm not allowed, sorry, but i know what it is, yes!!
    and its not only a normal clock

Video camera?

no, i'm not joking

oh, this would be a nice idea!!! for the racekids, who drive with 150 miles over our highways

Quote:
    Strebel said:
    yes i know more that i will tell you!!! i cant..
    i'm not allowed, sorry, but i know what it is, yes!!
    and its not only a normal clock

now I'm very curious of it!

Is it a weather predictor thingy so you can predict bad weather and keep the car clean and shinny in the garage except for the sunny weekends?... wait! this is a Porsche, not a Ferrari

Is its a weight scale for the passenger's seat to tell you when you need to put new blonde half your age in it?... damn, that would also be for a Ferrari or maybe even a pre-Audi Lambo

Maybe its a blender's dial that fixes you your favorite drinks (non-alcoholic, of course) while you cruise on the left lane... nope, that would be Aston, Bentley or Jag

I got it! its an acceleration timer gauge to measure your skill in straight-line accelerations with that complex slush box tranny and ESP... naaa, that would be for an AMG instead

Only joking guys, don't take it seriously

First and second is right!!!

I got it

It is a G-Meter (G-Force). That's what makes sense. Porsche wouldn't put a clock thingy up there.

I thought about that too but then why would that be patented? I thought about something related to a new function instead of just being a mere gauge of added information behond the instrument cluster. Maybe like, very far fetched I know... imagination is free , some sort of manual control of the diff lock setting of an LSD or something to do with the active suspensions or an electronic stability system with diff settings?

I just know it better be something important or singular to be breaking up the dash like that and sitting in the middle of it, or it will look stupid.

maybe, who knows??
    but please give your ideas free run!!! its nice to read

It looks analog. It could be anything at this point

and, hard to tell but, there seems to be only one needle and a short red zone b/w 7-6 o'clock?

Quote:
    Lars996 said:
    A properly working head-unit for the german toll-collect. L@rs

Optimist! It'll be years before one of those is ready for series production!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Is its a weight scale for the passenger's seat to tell you when you need to put new blonde half your age in it?...

Carlos,
    Who the hell needs a special gauge to tell them that?!

Otherwise, your post was funny.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    and, hard to tell but, there seems to be only one needle and a short red zone b/w 7-6 o'clock?

Happy hour?

Quote:
    brunner said:

OMG, wouldn't that be funny!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    picture[/image]

OMG, wouldn't that be funny!

Ahem.
    And then we'd only need some 'Type R' stickers

pretty nice inside...but a bit far from a sportcar!

That ridiculous gauge is still sticking out of the top of the dash - please don't tell me it's standard equipment

Looks like there's more in the way of loudspeaker apertures in the doors as well.

Mixed opinions, especially on the doors. The 986/996 doors were my favorite bit of the interior. The sweeping curves of the handles etc. were great IMHO.

Thanks for the great pics sunny!!

I hope that steering wheel is a joke! belong to a Mini or Beetle instead of a 911

I don't like the rounded shift nob area either looks like a hatchback's, or maybe its because its a Tip that doesn't look right at first. And the mid speaker's in the doors instead of the dash with the tweeters is a big no-no in car audio. Only the 5.25" or 6" should be in the lower most part of the doors or it will screw up your sound image and stage

The inside door design looks outdated, but I do like the dash part of the mid consile and the instrument cluster, overall not a big improvement and not very sporty but I guess its matter of taste and the interior design is actulally the least of my worries and not important to me.

Now, what the hell is that little gauge in the middle of the dash!?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802512 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448330 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265887 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89893 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6374 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885276 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831852 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM