Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

The problem with the R8, at least to me, is the designers couldn't make up their mind whether it should look like a sport car or a two door luxury coupe. So you get neither. indecision

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

In the GT4 racing class, costs are supposed to be kept down and thus these cars are far closer to the road going variants than in higher classes.  Thus, it does not surprise me that so many of the R8 parts are also used on the road car.  Plus, the cars with 500 and 600hp will probably be running some heavy ballast to equalize performance with the cars will hp in the 400 range.  

Re looks.  The convertible is not a great looking car at all.  Pretty square like a soap box.

nberry:

The problem with the R8, at least to me, is the designers couldn't make up their mind whether it should look like a sport car or a two door luxury coupe. So you get neither. indecision

Funny, I didn't really like how the R8 looks in the beginning. I always loved the Huracan, for me one of the most beautiful sportscars on the market. Now, the longer I own the R8, the more I love how it looks. I didn't get bored of it's look, on the contrary.

Looking like a two door luxury coupe? Smiley Sorry to say that Nick but I kind of have the feeling you never saw one live. Smiley We can discuss the design (which is a bit of controversial indeed, maybe even a bit too "tame" for some people) but there is one thing the R8 doesn't look alike. It doesn't look like a TT and it doesn't look like a sporty Coupe. Actually, many people who pass the car use the word "Lamborghini", believe it or not (my car lacks the Audi rings, the guy who added the protective foil to the car forgot them, left only the R8 badge and I never bothered to put them back) and I am not aware of any Lamborghini Coupe. Smiley

For comparison: R8 vs. RS5 (which is a sporty Coupe)

2015-AudiR8V10Plus-0255.jpg

audi-rs51194-1736738504224849419.jpg

Audi-R8-2016 (1).jpg

audi-rs51195-6659171653381260155.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

That for me is its plus, C... It really does have its own look... I like them a lot, fwiw and would love a demo in one...The V10 must be awesome blush..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:

That for me is its plus, C... It really does have its own look... I like them a lot, fwiw and would love a demo in one...The V10 must be awesome blush..

The best... Smiley Awesome engine and I really hate it seeing it gone soon. Smiley

If you ever take a R8 demo car for a spin: Switch to Performance mode DRY and turn ESP on (just to be on the safe side). Gear shifts happen basically telepathically (but without any comfort!), absolutely amazing. Every time I switch to my 911 GTS after that (I shift it manually as well), I think something is wrong with the Porsche. 

Just imagine a V10 5.4 l n/a with 700 hp.

Btw: I heard that they see no point in keeping the V10 because of sound emissions laws, not necessarily CO2 or NOx. A V8 Biturbo is more effective but they could make a V10 Biturbo (it already existed in the RS6, a rare species). However, whats the point of keeping the V10 if the sound will muted anyway? Also, the V8 can be used in various other VW Group models as well. Smiley Same goes the V12 in the Aventador apparently. The car keeps it's 12-cyl. engine but since VW Group has just newly (2016 or so...) developed the W12, well... Smiley Smiley

Interesting: The new Audi A8 gets the W12, so Audi is not completely abandoning such engines.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

okidoki - Having had the chance to drive the R8 V10 Spyder for a week. 

What should I say other than - "Now I understand RC".

The car is a loooooooot of fun to drive. It feels like a Kart. Very direct, very dynamic. Never been controlling a car lying like this on the street. The engine is fast, but I think it could be faster. So probably would opt for the V10 plus. In comparison, our pimped C43 (450HP) doesn't feel much slower (it might be by the numbers, but from the feel it is comparable). And then the sound - Mama Mia - this is music. It is really insane loud. Driving through the city gives you a lot of bad eyes - even though, most of times I only been between 35 to 50 km/h. 

The big down on this car - it has simply no storage. I cant believe why they design a car like this. You hardly can fit a carry-on into the trunk. Not even able to buy a box of beer, it simply would not fit. Driving for a weekend trip - better take your immature Girlfriend instead your sophisticated wife. A pair of briefs should do it, don't expect to fit anywhere an evening gown.

Will I buy one - hmmm, I'm very tempted. Probably the best sports car I was driving since a long time. But - hey, what to do with it. I always will miss the space. I rather look for some other exotic vintage cars which at least stand out. If someone looks for a very modern sports car which fits into the 21st Century - that's the way to go. Don't even look into the Porsche shelf, they just cant deliver something comparable!

How much worse is it that similar cars like the 488 or Huracan or McLaren?

Lars997:

The car is a loooooooot of fun to drive. It feels like a Kart. Very direct, very dynamic. Never been controlling a car lying like this on the street. The engine is fast, but I think it could be faster. So probably would opt for the V10 plus. In comparison, our pimped C43 (450HP) doesn't feel much slower (it might be by the numbers, but from the feel it is comparable). And then the sound - Mama Mia - this is music. It is really insane loud. Driving through the city gives you a lot of bad eyes - even though, most of times I only been between 35 to 50 km/h. 

The big down on this car - it has simply no storage. I cant believe why they design a car like this. You hardly can fit a carry-on into the trunk. Not even able to buy a box of beer, it simply would not fit. Driving for a weekend trip - better take your immature Girlfriend instead your sophisticated wife. A pair of briefs should do it, don't expect to fit anywhere an evening gown.

Will I buy one - hmmm, I'm very tempted. Probably the best sports car I was driving since a long time. But - hey, what to do with it. I always will miss the space. I rather look for some other exotic vintage cars which at least stand out. If someone looks for a very modern sports car which fits into the 21st Century - that's the way to go. Don't even look into the Porsche shelf, they just cant deliver something comparable!

Wow wee,

Nice write up Lars. Think a demo is on now, very soon too Smiley..

( Christian was not bluffing,,,,,,, blue Smiley ).....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

SciFrog:

How much worse is it that similar cars like the 488 or Huracan or McLaren?

The problem is that the Spyder doesn't have the storage room behind the rear seats like the Coupe has. I can fit three(!)  large carry on trolleys there, in the Spyder you can fit a pair of gloves maybe. Smiley Smiley

--

throt:
    Lars997:

Do you believe that post? It reads like RC wrote it, just without all the spling misstakes. I am not buying it SmileySmileySmiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Glad you enjoyed the R8 Spyder. I agree, not as fantastic as I though in the beginning, not enough storage room (the trunk isn't larger than the 911 trunk), this is why I would never get the Spyder. Also, the Spyder is much heavier and you cannot see the engine. I kind of like the Huracan Spyder more but Coupe? Always the R8 now. Smiley

This is really a fun car for weekends or car meets, not really a daily driver (it can be a daily driver but it attracts way too much attention, the 911 Turbo S would be the better choice, especially for business people who drive to customers).

Still planning to buy my R8 though when the lease ends...or I get the R8 GT or the facelift (if it really has something additional I want). Or maybe I go for a facelift lease if Audi keeps the exhaust button and sound and if it doesn't cost too much.

--

bluelines:
    throt:
    Lars997:

Do you believe that post? It reads like RC wrote it, just without all the spling misstakes. I am not buying it SmileySmileySmiley

A conspiracy, buddy ?....Oh yeaaa.....Smiley...Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

bluelines:
    throt:
    Lars997:

Smiley

--

Lars997:

OK RC, just admit it, you hacked into Lars' account and wrote this message.

Hm, ok, maybe it wasn't RC after all... Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Yep, vintage cars aren't my thing, sorry.

--

haha... nope - it is really me, not RC (I know - a good hacker would even say that) smiley.

I was really suprised by the R8. To the question - how much worse than a 488 or McLaren it is? Let me answer like that - a 488 is much faster but it is still a Ferrari. The McLaren - is faster, too - but still a McLaren. So if you look for the fastest car out there the R8 may not the car to go for. If you look for a modern sport scar with a Kart feeling and an with the perception and perfection of a German Volkswagen thats the way to go for. Also - neither the Ferrari nor the McLaren are proper convertibles - they are more Targas then open roof roadster.

BTW - I couldnt believe how much attention this car draws. I would have expected that no one really notice it. But every little boy stands there and shows you thumb up. Also - it seems that the perception is very positive, no bad eyes.

I love the Spyder as I love to drive open roof. I like the idea of opening the rear window when the roof is closed. So - I probably would opt for an Spyder. Again - this makes the R8 standing out comparing to its competitors.

The perception of the R8 is mostly positive because it is an Audi. Also, it seems to be right now basically the sports car of YouTubers (by YouTubers I mean those YouTube people who draw a large crowd of teens to subscribe to their channels regarding gaming, cosmetics, whatever).

See what happened to the R8 of a well known "YouTuber" in the US, sad sad sad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyKbHZPFVII

Btw: I do not know who this guy is but apparently you can make a lot of money with YouTube. 

Another example (his car is OK indecision):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzuBG99AQp4&t=2s

Another one (there are many more):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHSbIhHLJ5s&t=476s

Since many young people identify themselves with their YouTube "heroes" Smiley, the R8 is very popular in the age range 12-25...I think. Just a guess though but like you noticed, very positive reaction from people...most of the time.

--

Hi RC - you say it. Apparently it is the car young people love. And yes - it is a modern car!

And also - I also can't understand how you can make a Youtube living with those videos. Check this Youtube Calculator

How does it compare to the SLS ?

BjoernB:

How does it compare to the SLS ?

very different.

The SLS has more boom out of the eninge. Feels stronger. The SLS feels like a muscle car and the Audi feels like a Kart. The SLS is the angry bird the mean guy in the block - it wags its tail when tires are cold. It tells you - you can't control me if I dont let you do it. The R8 on the other hand tells you - play with me, don't have fear, I will keep you safe. 

Lars997:

Hi RC - you say it. Apparently it is the car young people love. And yes - it is a modern car!

And also - I also can't understand how you can make a Youtube living with those videos. Check this Youtube Calculator

Example: My son's favorite gaming YouTuber got 4.5 Mio(!). views in only three days. So 1.5 Mio. views per day.

So this means up to 6000(!) USD per day earnings. Let's assume he gets an average of 1000 USD per day or maybe even only 500 USD... Amazing, easy money.

--

RC:
    Lars997:

Example: My son's favorite gaming YouTuber got 4.5 Mio(!). views in only three days. So 1.5 Mio. views per day.

So this means up to 6000(!) USD per day earnings. Let's assume he gets an average of 1000 USD per day or maybe even only 500 USD... Amazing, easy money.

Yep - my daughter watches a family. Their 9 year old boys made 1 Mio USD last year (I read an article about). So, the power of scale is the way to go for!

People on YouTube are literally killing themselves for views. Very few make any money. 

The issue is with the people watching YouTube... People are voyeurs and want to pay people to do stupid stuff for the most part on YouTube... It is a vicious side effect of today's connected society...

RC:

Bad news in the exhaust/sound department though: Every technical change which requires a re-certification (new!) of the R8 will require the removal of the exhaust button (no more switching, similar to the new RS5) and what is worse: The flaps cannot stay open under 80 kph. I didn't know that. No wonder that RS5 sounded so bad.
    I wonder how Porsche and McLaren and Ferrari will cope with these restrictions.

@ 9:40 sound comparison   m3 vs rs5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDF9KRuO5u0

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

What a crappy sound these cars make!

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Mikla:

Agree - this burping and popping is annoying. Dont know why all cars have to do this now. The R8 has an amazing sound - it is like music. But on down shifts it has this pops which are absolutely too often and too much. I wished there would be an individual sound setting to adjust these things to you own like i.e. - Open Sport Exhausts, without pops.

Lars997:
    Mikla:

Agree - this burping and popping is annoying. Dont know why all cars have to do this now. The R8 has an amazing sound - it is like music. But on down shifts it has this pops which are absolutely too often and too much. I wished there would be an individual sound setting to adjust these things to you own like i.e. - Open Sport Exhausts, without pops.

Met the only Lamborghini Huracan in town yesterday (I know the owner...), he installed a sport exhaust (don't have a clue which one) and this thing makes that annoying popping sound basically...all the time and even at low rev figures. Smiley Now the interesting part: My son asked me why we don't install something like that as well because people from the outside can barely hear our car. Smiley 

I got into a serious argument with my junior and to make my point, I drove to a large parking lot outside the city, let him get out of the car and drove by a couple of times at various rev figures. When he got back in, he had a smile on his face. Smiley 

He doesn't seem to understand that some idiots drive in the first(!) gear through the city center and rev to 6000 rpm and more (which is insane in the city in a R8 or Huracan for that matter, this gets brutally loud) to attract attention. That Huracan driver was accelerating in first gear all the time and the exhaust popped all the time when he released the throttle, it was really loud and people started to make their typical negative hand gestures. Sorry but this is not the way I want to attract attention but I can see the appeal to younger people and why they enjoy car videos with their drivers doing stupid stuff on YouTube.

I certainly plan to put my son into some proper driver's ed courses and trainings when he gets his driver's license. My daughter always says I should not show off (not even on parking lots or tracks) when I have my son with me because he could try to copy me and I start to believe that she is right. Funny: My son wants a M2 when he is 18 but he is going to be in for a huge surprise when he ends up in a small SUV with the least power available. Smiley Smiley There is no way in hell I would get him a M2 or anything similar at 18.

--

SciFrog:

The issue is with the people watching YouTube... People are voyeurs and want to pay people to do stupid stuff for the most part on YouTube... It is a vicious side effect of today's connected society...

All the kids I know watch YouTube videos, incl. my kids. My daughter is the 2nd best in her class and will soon finish school (higher education, she wants to become a dentist/orthodontist or a hacker Smiley Smiley) but even she isn't immune to YouTube. She loves videos about cosmetics, hairstyles, etc., the typical girl stuff. Son is into cars and gaming of course. Smiley 

It is important that I sometimes watch some of these videos with them (something they really love because they can share their stuff with me) and to discuss what they actually see there and the people behind these channels. My daughter has no illusions but my son was in the beginning so fascinated by the money (and fame) these people earn, so he wanted to have his own YouTube channel. I didn't support him (he still has a channel but nothing he could make money of, more of a private thing) because there are tons of people on YouTube but only a few are successful. I rather want him to finish school successfully. 

--

Hahaha, your girl giving you good advice there, buddy, funny. kiss..

M2, he is not silly is he. A nice sensible first car indecision...

And guys that rev along and up to 6000rpm in towns must have small dicks indecision. Do not tell the kiddies that though..indecision..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690958 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410115 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256171 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858778 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775076 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM