Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Are Porsche selling many Caymans?

Here Cayman seels very bad.. In our city wasnt sold any Cayman yet.

For people who dont need +300 hp, and want to have Porsche just for a "soul," I think base Cayman is right choice - still its fast car (much faster than 95% other cars on road), looks like real Porsche, and price is reasonable - it costs like base BMW 530d. Price of Cayman S is to high, because it is near to 997 price..

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    RC makes some intersting points. I think they are valid and truthful.

The Caymans recent tested 'Ring lap times show it to not be the top uber handler model of the 987 Kingdom that Porsche and the media proclaimed. In that sense - it fails the "true" Porsche test that the Factory and press touted. It is not the 904 of the new millenium as they had implied -it is not a performance leap ahead of a Boxster - it is not more of a sportscar than a Boxster and offers nothing more than more noise and a small dose of relative claustophobia.

Look at any US dealer inventory and you will see many in stock. Early adaptors bought them on good faith - but now
    the Cayman has no sales legs,public cache or buzz. It is
    "just there" and dealers are being forced to buy them to get more popular models in stock.

On its own its a good sports car. But the Cayman compared to a Boxster makes no sense, especially if the Boxster has the optional hardtop. The value and performance are not in the Cayman for the extra money demanded.

RC talk's $hite and so do you.

The Cayman sold loads and continues to do so. The morons on here said it wouldn't sell and the Cayman is a run away success. The sale's figures prove it, but I guess some people will try and dispute hard facts if the figures don't suite their point of view.

Btw, I haven't been on here for about 2 months and still the same old BS from the same clowns. Very sad.

Quote:
    toplad said:

The Cayman sold loads and continues to do so. The morons on here said it wouldn't sell and the Cayman is a run away success. The sale's figures prove it, but I guess some people will try and dispute hard facts if the figures don't suite their point of view.

Btw, I haven't been on here for about 2 months and still the same old BS from the same clowns. Very sad.

Oh no, here we go again with a diehard Caymanite spouting offensive and personal comments. What is it with certain Caymanites that they cannot accept any criticism of their icon? Best you go back to cayman.net or whatever it's called where you can worship your icon unchallenged.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    toplad said:

Oh no, here we go again with a diehard Caymanite spouting offensive and personal comments. What is it with certain Caymanites that they cannot accept any criticism of their icon? Best you go back to cayman.net or whatever it's called where you can worship your icon unchallenged.

Caymanite? Maybe you should stop acting like a school boy.

Quote:
    mlin said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    toplad said:

Caymanite? Maybe you should stop acting like a school boy.

Oh no, not another one?

I'm glad I have such fine company here.

As the bubbles burst around the kool aid drinkers, I suggest they reveiw this thread
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=279014&an=0&page=0#279014

And then take another look at dealer inventories.

Here you can go and walk away with (figures for all country):
    - 4 997s
    - 5 boxsters
    - 11 caymans
    Why would they have so many caymans on stock in comparison (vs. the 997 which comes a base model, a S model, a C4, a C4S, a base cab, a S cab, a C4 cab, a C4S cab, a GT3, a Turbo and yet only 4 in stock!) if the cayman was a "runaway success" ?

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    - 4 997s
    - 5 boxsters
    - 11 caymans
    Why would they have so many caymans on stock in comparison (vs. the 997 which comes a base model, a S model, a C4, a C4S, a base cab, a S cab, a C4 cab, a C4S cab, a GT3, a Turbo and yet only 4 in stock!) if the cayman was a "runaway success" ?

Because the Cayman sells better?? I know if I was a dealer I'd have more stock of the car that sells better. Makes sense. I wouldn't want, for instance, 10 Carrera GT's in stock, because they'd never clear out of inventory!

I run an electronics company, and I know I work on the same principle: stock the best selling most wanted item.

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    - 4 997s
    - 5 boxsters
    - 11 caymans

Because the Cayman sells better?? I know if I was a dealer I'd have more stock of the car that sells better. Makes sense. I wouldn't want, for instance, 10 Carrera GT's in stock, because they'd never clear out of inventory!

I run an electronics company, and I know I work on the same principle: stock the best selling most wanted item.

Vanilla: I'm afraid your strategy would lead to an immediate failure in the auto business....

If 911 inventories are that low it is because dealers can't get enough ... For example at the end of September there was only 2 997 TT sitting on dealer's lot in the US.

It is fair to say that Cayman inventories are too high... with close to 100 days of sales in North America at the end of September...

Inventories in North America in days of sales:

Feb 06: 44 days
    March 06: 51 days
    April 06: 45 days
    May 06: 49 days
    June 06: 71 days
    July 06: 70 days
    August 06: 84 days
    September: 97 days

For Porsche the appropriate level of inventories in NA is around 40-50 days.

Same old crap here.....seems like some things never change.

As an owner of a CS I wouldn't trade it for ANY 911 out there....except a Turbo....it's simply much more fun and entertaining to drive, period. If it was given the same power as a 911....it would be lights out for the icon pure and simple. Porsche knows it, hence it is intentionally held back.

Does it sell well??...I don't know and don't care. My dealer has just as many 911s of all varieties sitting on the lot as Caymans. He doesn't have problems moving any of them.....911's tend to go to older, less adventurous drivers, while most Caymans go to younger, more spirited drivers....excactly what Porsche was looking for.

Those of us that have a Cayman truly know how special they are.....and glad they are not 911s.

Who cares....buy what you want, drive what you want, enjoy it and be happy

Jcparki, in our small little market, Cayman is not selling well at all. Last month, there were more 911 sales than Boxster and Cayman put together, and Cayman sales is less than Boxster (11 versus 14 from memory).

Weird that 911's are outselling Boxsterman

Does it mean we have more people willing to pay $200,000 for a Car than $120 - 150,000?

Quote:
    Woolfe said:

Does it mean we have more people willing to pay $200,000 for a Car than $120 - 150,000?

In the case of Porsche, the answer is yes! Economy must be good huh?

There are also many more 911 variants to sell...!

More 911s would seem to be a global scenario. Cayman is selling well in North America.

Sorry if the table is a bit small.

North American Monthly Sales Chart (September 2006)

Model; Sales; Percent of Total Sales.

911(997) 776 33%
    Boxster(987) 279 12%
    Cayman 494 21%
    Cayenne 799 34%

Total 2 339 100%

Note: This information is from an official Porsche document and is a record of Porsches sold in the United States and Canada during August 2006

Porsche are actually making more 911's than Boxster / Cayman. During our factory collection the Porsche guide told us that Zuffenhausen turns out 160 911's per day (all variants) and 120 Boxster / Cayman are made daily at Valmet. Not really surprising that they are selling more!

I agree though, it doesn't matter how many are made if a particular car is the one you want, be it 911, Boxster or Cayman. Would you buy a 911 just because there are more made? of course not! There seem to be some excellent politicians here, juggling statistics to suit their viewpoint.

Just for the record though I would also rather have a Cayman than a 911 coupe, or a Boxster rather than a 911 cab. I just prefer the more precise feel of the car.

October Auto Sales: Porsche
    Wednesday November 1, 11:29 am ET Porsche Results Slide in October on Weaker 911, Cayenne Sales

ATLANTA (AP) -- Porsche Car North America Inc. on Wednesday said U.S. auto sales in October fell 9 percent on softness in its 911 and Cayenne lines.
    The company said in October it sold 2,355 vehicles, down from 2,588 vehicles during the same period a year ago. Adjusted to include one fewer selling day in October of this year compared to last, sales fell 5 percent.
    Sales of 911 models fell 23 percent to 697 vehicles from 900 vehicles during the same period a year ago. Sales of the company's Cayenne sport-utility vehicles decreased 27 percent to 809 units from 1,104 units during the year-ago period.

Boxster and Cayman model sales rose 52 percent to 847 vehicles from 558 vehicles last year.

Year-to-date, Porsche sales in the U.S. rose 9 percent to 28,766 vehicles from 26,397 vehicles in 2005.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    P
    Just for the record though I would also rather have a Cayman than a 911 coupe, or a Boxster rather than a 911 cab. I just prefer the more precise feel of the car.

Precise feel....

Hi Beltar take a peek at this.

http://www.autoblog.nl/archive/2006/03/19/gt3_crasht_op_de_ring

Quote:
    Woolfe said:

The problem is the "reputation" of the Cayman. The Boxster had a similar problem when it showed up back in 1996 but Porsche was lucky and since the Boxster is priced much below the 911, it was a huge success. Unfortunately you see a lot of young men and even more women driving a Boxster over here in Germany, so it is more of a "don't have the money for a 911" or "second, third car in the garage" car.

Like I said: in Germany, I don't know how it works in other countries but the 911 has a certain "reputation", a heritage, a history and people just refer to the 911 as the only "real" Porsche. I don't see it this way (my wife drives a Boxster S and it is a fine car, I enjoy driving it too) but I can truely understand these buyer feelings since a Porsche isn't cheap and some people just want to own the "real" thing, not just "another" Porsche. Sounds stupid? Maybe.

I sense a lot of hatred on this site, which seem to come from various areas:

1. once decision to purchase one car over another, whereas they need assurance that they've done the right thing.
    2. Judging another vehicle without ever driving it.
    3. resistance to change
    4. Self pride and snobbishness
    5. Childishness

Treads like this are a complete waste of time and resources, which exist only due to reasons listed above.

Oh yeah, please continue the discussion or shall I say "Waste of time"

RC IS AN [beep]. His points are always invalid as he is threatened by the car. He is the reason that nobody can have a decent chat on this board since he doesnt own one nobody should. I like everyone else who owns a cayman s could have bought a 997 but i didnt b/c i prefer driving the cayman and i respect anyone who chose to go with the 997 as its a great car. Just let people talk about the cayman on this cayman board or close it down. Everyone is sick of you on this board so just shut it down or shut up.

Quote:
    beltar said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    P

Precise feel....

what happened to the cayman parking there???

Hey... I've done that with my Cayman... I did PRECISELY a 360 degree circle!!!

Quote:
    wooky said:

I sense a lot of hatred on this site, which seem to come from various areas:

1. once decision to purchase one car over another, whereas they need assurance that they've done the right thing.
    2. Judging another vehicle without ever driving it.
    3. resistance to change
    4. Self pride and snobbishness
    5. Childishness

And that is said.

20 years ago I felt the 911 snobs looking down on my lowly 944.

I could care 2 cents for about what they thought ... my money, my car all I could afford. Then I bought a "new" 911 ... instantly I was part of the "club" but guess what ... I hated being part of that club ... loved the CAR, hated the snobbery.

So now there i s the CS, clearly a lessor sibling that is faster around the Ring than the 997 ... clearly detuned for fear of hurting the ICON's sales. and more haters.

I come to this site to read about Porsches and read hatred instead. So sad ... and no wonder there is no traffic.

Quote:
    joshb1 said:
    RC IS AN [beep]. His points are always invalid as he is threatened by the car.

RC drives a 997 turbo, a Cayenne turbo S and Mrs RC drives a Boxster S. Can't quite work out why he'd feel "threatened".

Can quite figure out why anyone would feel threatened?

I've said this before... I like my CS a lot... I think it's a fine car but it's not the end-all-be-all of Porsches... I also own a 993C4S and I certainly don't look down on Boxster or Cayman owners... Now, maybe if we were talking about a Carrera GT then that's another story...

That being said I'm new here... It seems to me that this forum started as a Porsche 911 site and has grown to include other models... So I can understand the attitude to some degree... By the same token, the Cayman Club is a Cayman only site and definately has an ELITIST attitude when it comes to the Cayman to the point where it's sickening...

Truth be told... I bought the Cayman because it's what I could afford at the time... If I had the money the Cayman would not have gotten a 2nd look as I would be driving a 997S right now...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762188 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435217 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260449 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257505 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80921 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872094 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807487 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM