Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Two interesting articles describing the R8 production. blush

https://www.motormag.com.au/features/1605/how-to-build-an-audi-r8

http://www.caradvice.com.au/441841/2017-audi-r8-essentially-a-hand-made-supercar/

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Bye-bye R8? According to rumors, Audi decided to stop development of a R8 successor (third generation). 

As much as I hate to hear it, it makes sense. This makes room for the Porsche "960". blush

The R8 could only survive with the fantastic V10 engine and we all know that it is going to disappear. 

A Huracan V8 Biturbo makes sense, a R8 V8 Biturbo would probably sell even worse than the current R8 V10.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I don't care about Brands.

I will take an R8 with V8 Biturbo over the much anticipated, overpriced, mute & underpowered car from Porsche.

orsi2003:

I don't care about Brands.

I will take an R8 with V8 Biturbo over the much anticipated, overpriced, mute & underpowered car from Porsche.

The current R8 doesn't sell too well, especially in Europe. In Germany, sales numbers are ridiculously low, this is why people get so many fantastic lease and buying offers over here. You get cars worth 220k EUR, almost two years old with low mileage (5000-8000 km) for under 140k EUR. This is insane. Lease offers are insane as well, I wouldn't be surprised if Audi, at some point, will "throw" them out (like they did with the last S8, 1000 cars at a super low lease rate of 599 EUR or so...no down payment...they were gone in three days).

Sad, really sad.

I may actually go for the R8 facelift or R8 GT (right now, I doubt there is going to be one) with a V10 since it may be the last.

--

Bad news, I think. surprise
    A possible Porsche 960 isn't for me really an alternative. The Audi R8 is and was for me the only Audi that has ever interested me. Maybe I will get one from the"Last Edition".blush

--

Conny997:

Bad news, I think. surprise
    A possible Porsche 960 isn't for me really an alternative. The Audi R8 is and was for me the only Audi that has ever interested me. Maybe I will get one from the"Last Edition".blush

Funny that you mention it. This whole situation reminds me a little bit of the S8 "sale"... Maybe Audi will have to get rid of their cars at some point and this is probably the best occasion to snatch a car at an attractive price.

Btw: I think the R8 offers are now better than ever and I wouldn't be surprised if they get even better in winter time. Smiley

So like you, I am thinking about getting a last R8 (maybe facelift?) if they offer fantastic deals.

Only problem: New EU laws and how R8 facelift certification will go through. The new RS5 for example has a sport exhaust and it sounds like...crap. Smiley (not even close to the fantastic RS3 or TT RS sound). Even worse: No more exhaust button (switchable from loud to quiet and vice versa). Not permitted anymore by EU laws. If this happens to the R8 facelift (if there will be one Smiley) as well, I am going to keep my R8 or I get myself a new one. 

--

It must also be added that the R8 has never really been treated in the Audi family with the attention it deserves. Audi dealers are not really prepared to meet an R8 customer needs.

--

RC:

Bye-bye R8? According to rumors, Audi decided to stop development of a R8 successor (third generation). 

As much as I hate to hear it, it makes sense. This makes room for the Porsche "960". blush

The R8 could only survive with the fantastic V10 engine and we all know that it is going to disappear. 

A Huracan V8 Biturbo makes sense, a R8 V8 Biturbo would probably sell even worse than the current R8 V10.

So no new R8, next Huracan with V8, so will there be a last Huracan facelift with V10 then? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:

So no new R8, next Huracan with V8, so will there be a last Huracan facelift with V10 then? Smiley

I heard that the Huracan facelift is coming with a V10 and 630 hp but I have no clue if there is going to be a R8 facelift (facelift was due 2019 as far as I heard but now... Smiley). Huracan facelift should happen next year but first Lamborghini will probably introduce the Performante Spyder (a car which in my opinion makes ZERO sense). If Audi plans not to build any R8 successor, maybe it makes more sense to offer the facelift sooner. Maybe even at the same time as the Huracan facelift. Would make sense.

Everything is pretty confusing right now, apparently there is a lot going on at VW Group and their various brands, they want to tighten business, to make it more efficient and to use same platforms on different brands/models, even more than planned before. A big overhaul seems to be on the horizon... Smiley

--

OK, it is 5 am in the morning here in Germany and apparently one of my (Audi) sources read this thread and thought he needs to add a few things to what I posted. Please be aware that he doesn't work for Audi Sport directly, so the information could be inaccurate or even false (however, usually...he is pretty accurate).

Audi did not completely abandon the R8 (development for successor seems to have been stopped though, this seems to be true but he couldn't say if the stop is permanent or temporary, too many things going on at Audi right now).

Instead, the new performance parts from Audi Sport are supposed to help the R8 to appeal to more customers. He told that the parts are only a first step and more will follow. No power kits though planned...so far.

BUT: Audi will offer at least two more powerful versions of the V10 engine in the R8 over it's lifecycle. 

One could be the facelift with 630 hp and the other one a more powerful version with 640 hp... (just my guess, he didn't say).

Base model with 2.9 l V6 Biturbo is apparently dead for good, like I said before.

Also interesting: Instead of the 2.9 l V6 Biturbo, they plan a V10 version with less than the 540 hp in the V10 (non Plus) with less options and a cheaper price (vs. non Plus version).

Another detail: Apparently the V10 5.2 l engine is not "done" at 650 hp as rumored before. He said that there were prototypes engines running with close to 700 hp but the problem seems to be the DCT in the R8 (and Huracan) and some AWD parts which aren't made for this kind of power and torque. Apparently torque is even artificially limited on both cars. A power increase would require a substantial overhaul of the R8/Huracan drivetrain.

Bad news in the exhaust/sound department though: Every technical change which requires a re-certification (new!) of the R8 will require the removal of the exhaust button (no more switching, similar to the new RS5) and what is worse: The flaps cannot stay open under 80 kph. I didn't know that. No wonder that RS5 sounded so bad.
    I wonder how Porsche and McLaren and Ferrari will cope with these restrictions.

--

Thanks for the early update.

Like you wrote: some good news, some bad news. Hope that a FL with an decent power update don't need a recertification. On the other hand I don't can imagine that one feel really a difference between 610 hp and 630hp. That's just marketing.

--

Conny997:

That's just marketing.

It is a whopping 3% difference Smiley 

What is the power tolerance on these engines? 5% Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Conny997:

That's just marketing.

It is a whopping 3% difference Smiley 

What is the power tolerance on these engines? 5% Smiley

Yelp, 5-7% according to a R8 tuner I "met". Quite a lot. I agree, you won't feel 20 hp difference.

--

I test drove the new RS5 last week. With the "sports exhaust" no sound at all. But the rest of the car I really loved very nice engine really fast and very nice finish of the car. The first customers cars at the dealers in Germany are nicely spected, not cheap either.

RC could it be that de "fun exhaust" button willl stay for non eu cars? It is a pity that we are so patronized by regulations

Yes, RS5 has top notch quality look and feel and it is a great grand tourer but is it really what people expect from RS models? Time will tell. If I had to choose, I would take the TT RS instead.

"Fun button" for other (non-EU) markets? Possible but I kind of doubt it.

--

RC:

I would take the TT RS instead.

The new TT RS with ABT... 500hp / 570Nm. Yummy! Smiley

--

TT RS, that really is a hairdressers car, guys...angry..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:

I know what you mean Smiley However, if you need something quick and fun for melting down long distances (and you don't want to use a really expensive car because it feels a shame to put on hundreds of km in rainy or mixed weather etc.) the TTRS is a great offer, I feel Smiley

bluelines:
    RC:

Two rear seats... Smiley

--

throt:

Real men with real chest hair make any car look manly, butch and rugged Smiley 

--

RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

Two rear seats... Smiley

Yeah. That moment when you realise that it cost less than half of a 991.2 GTS 4, is faster and sound better  SmileySmiley 

A mini GT-R with Audi quality. Fantastic package.

--

bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

Two rear seats... Smiley

Yeah. That moment when you realise that it cost less than half of a 991.2 GTS 4, is faster and sound better  SmileySmiley 

Also, you could maybe keep your GT4... Smiley

--

bluelines:
    throt:

Any car? ...go ahead, I dare you Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

bluelines:
    throt:

You proved that with that Volvo Smiley Smiley......

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Carlos from Spain:
    bluelines:
    throt:

--

Smiley A former school friend of mine, he lives in my neighborhood but we don't get along too well, just bought himself a VW Beetle convertible. In silver. With a rear wing(!), didn't even know they make this stuff for the car.

Why is that funny? Well...he is a very big buy (tall and quite muscular, think Bud Spencer, not Schwarzenegger) and this car just looks ridiculous on him The kids in school already started making fun of him (unfortunately this affects his son) and I told my son to shut up and don't say a word when he told me about it. Kids can be cruel but that car is really a joke for someone like that guy.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    bluelines:
    throt:

Smiley

Put Lasse next to that VW and it will look like a Lambo. Performante.

--

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:
    bluelines:
    throt:

--

Smiley A former school friend of mine, he lives in my neighborhood but we don't get along too well, just bought himself a VW Beetle convertible. In silver. With a rear wing(!), didn't even know they make this stuff for the car.

Why is that funny? Well...he is a very big buy (tall and quite muscular, think Bud Spencer, not Schwarzenegger) and this car just looks ridiculous on him The kids in school already started making fun of him (unfortunately this affects his son) and I told my son to shut up and don't say a word when he told me about it. Kids can be cruel but that car is really a joke for someone like that guy.

Smiley,,, brilliant. I have to agree, some guys suit and don't suit certain cars. He should be in a american muscle car, like the Vette ...Smiley....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

R8 GT4...amazing...over 60(!)% of parts shared with the road car R8 V10 Plus. 

z1491960618.jpg

--

New Alcantara steering wheel with carbon shifting paddles.

The paddles are not what I expected...what a crap. They are basically designed like the original ones, just in carbon.

2017-07-17_14-58-01.png

--

bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

Two rear seats... Smiley

I had mentioned this before on Rennteam and it was almost immediately scoffed.  However, this is very much correct.   While at the limit, the Porsche is the better car, but for 98% of the driving, the TT-RS is the equal of the GTS 4 at roughly half the cost.  In terms of technology, the Audi is way ahead of the Porsche.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777610 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441858 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262844 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261049 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85325 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5613 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880725 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816154 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM