Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Went for Turbo S instead of new Turbo

Here are the reasons (I'm pretty sure you're curious):

1. 3% VAT increase starting with 2007 in Germany
    2. VERY good offer for my old Cayenne Turbo, way over what is offered usually (dealer apparently already had a customer for my car)
    3. VERY attractive rebate on the Turbo S since dealer is closing down his business (no kidding) and he would have returned the car to Porsche
    4. TONS of options (panoramic roof, rear view camera, sport design package, etc. etc.), I would never have been (financially) able to order a NEW Cayenne Turbo with the same options
    5. performance is practically the same as on the new Cayenne Turbo (there is a 5 kph difference in top speed)
    6. our Cayenne Turbo already had 50000 km, almost three years, car started to have problems like the ignition coils (it happened AGAIN yesterday...like a "sign" from "above", the other four ignition coils have to be exchanged)
    7. Turbo S has finally MP3 playing capability (sounds ridiculous but it really IS important to me and my wife since we don't need to take tons of CDs with us).
    8. panoramic roof offers a new fun during summer time
    9. most of my customers and neighbors won't notice the change, even if the colour is different

DOWNSIDE of NOT going for the NEW Cayenne Turbo:
    1. slightly lower fuel consumption (somewhere between 5-10%)
    2. better throttle response with sport mode
    3. new PDCC (same system like Touareg as far as I heard, nothing "revolutionary" but it improves handling feel)
    4. "fresher" look (although my wife said that the new Turbo looks a bit too "Japanese" to her, same comment from dealer)
    5. better resale value when the 2nd Cayenne generation shows up.
    6. nice LED tail lights (I really like this look)

I would have NEVER considered the "old" Cayenne if it wasn't a Turbo S.

Pictures of the new family member tomorrow or so.

Re: Went for Turbo S instead of new Turbo

Congratulations! Since you're already acquainted with that model you even might get some hours of sleep tonight!

Congratulations on the "S." I have had mine for almost a year. The vehicle has been trouble free, burned no oil in 5,500 miles of driving, and exhibits almost imperceptible turbo lag. The acceleration bests my 997s. Do not forget to mount your winter tires!

Congratulations RC!

It does make more sense to me now that I know all the factors you had to consider.

I am a little curious about the MP3 capability. Aren't we just talking about MP3 encoded CD's? You don't have any iPod connection capability there do you?

Nice color and the pano roof is neat!

Congrats and drive the hell out of it.

Congrats...
    ... but would not have been my choice. The Cayenne really needed this face lift and I like the changes they made. I'm afraid is that what you save on the purchase price you would loose on the depreciation. Mots people would take a facelifted Cayenne Turbo over an old Turbo S

But then I do not know what the discount was you got..

congrats rc!! good choice , i think i would have done the same, specially that i like loaded cars..post pics!

Congrats RC!!!

whant to see the new Christmas gift!!

Congrats!
    Very nice color combo!
    I like your interior...

Congrats RC! You scored a heck of a deal. Please post some pics!

Congrats RC...I opted for a loaded '06 Cayenne S.

congrads RC i m sure it ll be a wonderful ride!
    and options DO matter as, if i remember well, this is your trip car
    so confort is really important and small details makes you love the car!

Quote:
    993Targa said:
    I'm afraid is that what you save on the purchase price you would loose on the depreciation. Mots people would take a facelifted Cayenne Turbo over an old Turbo SBut then I do not know what the discount was you got..

Discount was huge since dealer had to get rid of the car and I even got a superb price for mine.
    Trust me, I would have never considered the "old" Turbo S if the savings wouldn't have been substantial.

A little update on drive feel: suprisingly, the Turbo S (it is a pretty young MY 2007 car) has almost no turbo lag and no throttle response lag. It feels like my 997 Turbo Tip without sport chrono turned on, very nice. A HUGE difference compared to my Cayenne Turbo Powerkit, this is a very surprising experience I didn't expect.
    Another interesting thing: the steering feels sportier and more direct, especially in curves. Since I switched the winter tires from my old Turbo to the Turbo S, the difference isn't caused by different tires.

Overall I'm very happy with my choice but like I said before: I would have NEVER opted for the "old" Cayenne if I wouldn't have had this great chance to get a Turbo S at a great price, not to speak about the price my "old" Turbo achieved.

Btw: on my way to the dealer to pick up the Turbo S and to leave the Turbo Powerkit over there, I had a very nasty icey road encounter where I ended up sliding at around 70 kph through a 100* curve SIDEWAYS over all four wheels. I was very very lucky that the Autobahn exit was very wide (two lanes) and this happened only one km away from the dealer. The street was dry and it was sunny, outside temp at around 8*C. Unfortunately I forgot that the sun was shining but in shadow areas, the temperature was only at around 0* or slightly below, incl. some areas with were partially wet.

Congrat man, hey do you grow money on trees..LOL. it must be nice to afford these toys that you keep buying. keep it up and enjoy in good health

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Congrat man, hey do you grow money on trees..LOL. it must be nice to afford these toys that you keep buying. keep it up and enjoy in good health

1. Boxster S and 997 Turbo are company leases (I didn't buy them)
    2. Cayenne Turbo was a different story, family car, actually bought back in 2004 when I sold my E55 AMG for a good price (after 6 months unsatisfactory ownership as a former 996 Turbo RS-Tuning owner).
    3. I work hard for my money, so does my wife, nothing is for free in life, unless you're born rich and don't have to worry too much about money

I could NEVER afford buying all three cars we have in the garage, impossible (kids cost money, life costs money).

Btw: here a little picture of this beauty, the colour is actually very interesting, it shows a green shimmer when the sun shines directly on it, otherwise it looks almost completely black.

Wish you the best with that car - hey, you'll need a rifle and a hunting ground with that colour from now on!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Wish you the best with that car - hey, you'll need a rifle and a hunting ground with that colour from now on!

Colour only shows a very light green shimmer when the sun shines directly on it, otherwise it looks almost plain metallic black. This is not that "typical" green met. you can see sometimes on some BMWs or japanese SUV over here in Germany.

Is that olive green or some other color?

It always feels soooo good when you manage to crack an amazing deal. Congrats

So you basically have all the porsche cars on sale right now. Even better, you got the top of the range in the boxster, 911 and cayenne range. You're a lucky man. What is sad is that you don't have a manual anymore. I take this oportunity to ask you something: could you go back to a manual now that you drive an automatic all the time. How would you feel going back to a 6 speed? I've heard that oonce you go for an auto, you never go back. What's your view on this?

Congrats RC . Looking good.

Awesome colour RC!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:

Looks amazing!

Colour only shows a very light green shimmer when the sun shines directly on it, otherwise it looks almost plain metallic black. This is not that "typical" green met. you can see sometimes on some BMWs or japanese SUV over here in Germany.

Quote:
    amazon said:
    [...] I've heard that oonce you go for an auto, you never go back. What's your view on this?

First of all one'd have to define what kind of automatic we're talking about. With the wide range of systems, from F1-/SMG-boxes over CVT systems (used by Audi) or VAG's DSG system to the traditional automatic gearbox, which has been developed to a tremendous item by now, e.g. by ZF.

I regularly drive an automatic transmission, it didn't change my mind. I have to say that I drove automatic cars since I was 18 and got used to their up- and downsides. There are still a few boxes out that spoil all of the fun driving the car, esp. if the car is a blast to drive with a manual. This happens in the range of econocars nowadays, everything from midclass sedans upwards usually uses sufficient automatic gearboxes. It still depends what you use your car for - on the 997 Turbo I'd have a hard time negleting the manual for the automatic's performance advantage.

Bottom line, the car needs enough power to start with and has to fit the bill. A Mercedes is still the perfect car to use an automatic transmission. My 02 cents.

Quote:
    RC said:
    [...] Colour only shows a very light green shimmer when the sun shines directly on it [...]

The colour is indeed marvellous, even on a Carrera aimed at a classic or luxurios appereance. The combination with light brown leather fits perfectly as well.

I was just curious if you would've picked the colour in the first place, ordering the car to your own specs.

Good luck with your new CTS, RC - nice Christmas gift and Santa seemed to have arranged a favourable deal

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    The colour is indeed marvellous, even on a Carrera aimed at a classic or luxurios appereance. The combination with light brown leather fits perfectly as well.

Yes, I've seen this combo (olive green / brown natural leather) on a 997 S - very elegant appearance

very very nice color , i know it ... the most interesting advantage is the (S) ... limited edition , i realy respect (turbo S) family .. you will know what im saying in the future . enjoy it

Thanks guys. Actually my wife fell in love with this car, today she came back from a short shopping trip with the kids and she told me that she loves the colour, she loves the interior and she is happy we did the change.
    Funny...a couple of day ago, she was OK with it but not THAT enthusiastic. Women...

Here's an interior shot done by my dealer, better pictures will follow next week when I find some time to shoot them.
    I'm not a friend of wood inside a car but I have to acknowledge that in combination with that dark olive metallic exterior colour and the havanna-sand interior, it looks pretty classy. If I would be an english lord, this would be the perfect combo. Yes, this is a two-tone leather colour, looks nice.

Quote:
    amazon said:
    could you go back to a manual now that you drive an automatic all the time. How would you feel going back to a 6 speed? I've heard that oonce you go for an auto, you never go back. What's your view on this?

Due to a longer stay in a foreign country (behind the iron curtain when it was still in place ), I had to drive a Mercedes with automatic tranny for almost four years. Afterwards, I bought a BMW M3 with manual, no problem at all. I NEVER choose my car(s) by "ideology", I always buy what suits me best for a certain purpose. I wanted the Tip in the 997 Turbo because a lot of people who were involved directly or not that directly in development, recommended it to me. I didn't regret it for one single day, believe it or not. If the next Turbo is faster with manual, I choose manual. That simple. Many people believe that manual and Tip actually are both on the same performance level but drive on a very narrow country road with lots of curves and bad pavement and believe me, you will NEVER be able to follow me in a manual car since you need to use one hand for shifting. On the track however, Tip could be a disadvantage, it needs some sort of a "pre-emptive" throttle foot and this isn't easy.

Hope this answers your question a little bit.

I agree with your analysis, and I would've made the same choice without a doubt. If you had decided to go with the new Turbo, you would be heading down the same path you took back when you got the '04: having bought an early cycle car with cool but unproven (alpha/beta) technology. Paying a premium for the new version instead of getting a steal on the current one is at two extreme ends, so financially it's a no brainer. Besides, doesn't the current one have more horsepower? After a couple of years, the new Turbo will be a common sight, while the Turbo S will be a rare species, because they're actually only produced for a short period. For me, that wins some brownie points.

Finally, I saw some pictures of the new Cayenne that are NOT taken by Porsche's marketing department:

http://www.hadel.net/autos/html/d_pkw_porsche_cayenne_prem2007.html

I don't think it looks that great.

Congrats, RC. Beautiful vehicle. Love the color. I wish you and your family many fun and safe miles - sorry, kilometers - and I hope your recent black ice episode is your last one for a while.

When you have time to investigate further, I'd love to hear details about the differences in throttle hesitation, since the Turbo S supposedly has the same components and programming as your Powerkit.

Quote:
    RC said:

Due to a longer stay in a foreign country (behind the iron curtain when it was still in place ), I had to drive a Mercedes with automatic tranny for almost four years. Afterwards, I bought a BMW M3 with manual, no problem at all. I NEVER choose my car(s) by "ideology", I always buy what suits me best for a certain purpose. I wanted the Tip in the 997 Turbo because a lot of people who were involved directly or not that directly in development, recommended it to me. I didn't regret it for one single day, believe it or not. If the next Turbo is faster with manual, I choose manual. That simple. Many people believe that manual and Tip actually are both on the same performance level but drive on a very narrow country road with lots of curves and bad pavement and believe me, you will NEVER be able to follow me in a manual car since you need to use one hand for shifting. On the track however, Tip could be a disadvantage, it needs some sort of a "pre-emptive" throttle foot and this isn't easy.

Hope this answers your question a little bit.

Thanks for your input. I might work in Brussels next year and if that happens, I might need an automatic as traffic is really bad. I can't afford a porsche now but I'm afraid that if I drive an auto for a couple of years I will have a hard time going back to a manual, wich IMHO, suits a flat-6 better.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774770 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440305 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262052 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260305 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84832 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879360 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814186 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM