Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Posing - I'm new

OK, I am new to this forum and new to 911 ownership. I will probably be bored at work today, so I am opening a topic that interests me currently. I am officially a "waiter" presently. I am moving up in the automotive ownership world. I own two Bimmers , one of which is a Z4 roadster which I am keeping for various reasons. I just was reading some posts in that forum where certain individuals were suggested to be posers in that group. Various definitions and examples were presented of posers. Most of which confused me. I really have not been paying much attention before, but I had never heard of the word poser until recently. Now I am starting to think that I may actually be one.

I want a 911 and am buying one. I have always wanted one since I was a kid just like many others have said in this group. So when my dreams' seed was planted, I was not bogged down with specs, HP, handling, etc. I fell in love with the car because it was sexy and unique. I am buying this car exactly for those qualities I saw in the car as a kid. I am not a kid anymore; I am 47 years old. Maybe I will reclaim some youth by driving this vehicle, or maybe not. I probably will not race it. I am not sure if it will be a daily driver or a weekend car. I will drive it probably easy some days and hard other days. My wife will drive it when she wants.

I will be proud to own this car. I know this car will lift my spirits every time I drive it. I will probably curse this car when I get some of the repair bills or when unfortunate things happen to it (like scratches).

Maybe I am a poser, maybe not. If this group has posing definitions or specifications, I can provide more info to see if I fall into the category.

So, speak up. Are you a poser? Are you happy about it? Are others posers? What qualifications does one need to be able to suggest that others are posers?

Cheers!

Re: Posing - I'm new

Welcome on board
    Maybe the native speakers know better, but as per my definition poser = show-off / swank. IMO owners who use their car just to drive to a fancy street cafe parking in front of the crowd in order to receive some admiration from the audience are posers, whereas owners who just appreciate the special drive feel of a Porsche and use the car for what it's made for do not fall into this category.
    You have been dreaming about the car since you have been a kid - sounds more like an enthusiast to me
    To be proud of the car and to enjoy the good spirits while driving it doesn't qualify you as a poser - the poser would need the response of other people to enjoy these feelings while the enthusiast will enjoy it everytime he drives the car, even as a lonesome driver on a remote country road without any audience at all

Don't think you are a poser, you bought the car for yourself, not to impress other people!

What they said.

when you said "waiter" i thought wow!..what restaurant does he work at to afford 2 bimmers!

Congrats. You' re definitely not a poser. Everything aside, the car is just fun to drive. U worked hard u deserve it, doesn't matter what anyone else says. And if you do pull up in some resturant and people do admire ur car, even better. They r just appreciating something that you do already.

Re: Posing - Ultimate Porsche-Poser?

I thought poser meant the guy who paints calipers red, gets a "S" and sticks it on his non-S Carrera. Or sticks a "turbo" badge on rear deck of 997/S

I'm not sure what it means to put the fake quads on a Carrera (s or non S) to make it look like there is an eight cylinder engine in the car.

Also, I'm not sure what it means to put a lap timer prominently on the dash which suggests frequent track use.

Anyway, IMO, here's the ultimate Poser car for Porschephiles (or Porschephobics) :

To save brain power: it's a Boxster.

AAAAAHHAHAAHHAAHA

that budget Carrera GT is so foul!

Shenanigans. A true poseur would have modified a 15 year old MR2.

The interior is hilarious.

And to answer your original question, you do not sound like a poseur. Enjoy the drive.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Shenanigans. A true poseur would have modified a 15 year old MR2.

LOL! That's great how the rear wheels "fill" the wheel wells! Gives it that highly acclaimed "Kia Rio" look.

just go run the [beep] out of it for awhile...then you can make an accurate asessment of you and the car

you'll find the typical example of a poser driving an Audi TT or a S3...just look at them, they all look and act the same, don't they?

Quote:
    MarcusRay said:
    you'll find the typical example of a poser driving an Audi TT or a S3...just look at them, they all look and act the same, don't they?

Hey! I used to drive an S3 when I was around 25. Come to think of it maybe I was a bit of a poser back then...

NOT a poser! Enjoy the journey and the car!

Great post

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Welcome on board
    Maybe the native speakers know better, but as per my definition poser = show-off / swank. IMO owners who use their car just to drive to a fancy street cafe parking in front of the crowd in order to receive some admiration from the audience are posers, whereas owners who just appreciate the special drive feel of a Porsche and use the car for what it's made for do not fall into this category.
    You have been dreaming about the car since you have been a kid - sounds more like an enthusiast to me
    To be proud of the car and to enjoy the good spirits while driving it doesn't qualify you as a poser - the poser would need the response of other people to enjoy these feelings while the enthusiast will enjoy it everytime he drives the car, even as a lonesome driver on a remote country road without any audience at all

Agree 100%- right on as usual!

If I remember well your amazing and amusing intro a few weeks ago, I don't think you have time to "pose" in your car. The other thoughts mus be overwhelming;b
    Merry Christmas
    Carlos

Quote:
    jamesaug said:
    when you said "waiter" i thought wow!..what restaurant does he work at to afford 2 bimmers!

I was thinking the same thing

bimmers.......I think you mean Beamers!!! lol

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    bimmers.......I think you mean Beamers!!! lol

Bimmers----Cars
    Beamers----Motorcycles

In the UK, we call all BMWs 'beemers".

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    In the UK, we call all BMWs 'beemers".

Same in the US.

From wikipedia:

The term "beemer" started as an acronym for the abbreviation "BMW," adapted from the early-20th century British pronunciation of BSA (as "beeser" or "beezer"), whose motorcycles were often racing BMWs. Over time, the term became closely associated with BMW motorcycles.

The term "bimmer" was later coined to refer (exclusively) to BMW automobiles. As such, use of the word "beemer" to refer to a BMW automobile is frowned upon by some BMW enthusiasts, because it is the term used for motorcycles. Although the distinction is completely arbitrary, to this day, the media, movies, and most people still use the term "beemer" to refer to the automobiles. Interestingly, in the German language, the common pronunciation of the term "bimmer" is "beemer."

Quote:
    jplanaux said:
    From wikipedia:

The term "beemer" started as an acronym for the abbreviation "BMW," adapted from the early-20th century British pronunciation of BSA (as "beeser" or "beezer"), whose motorcycles were often racing BMWs. Over time, the term became closely associated with BMW motorcycles.

The term "bimmer" was later coined to refer (exclusively) to BMW automobiles. As such, use of the word "beemer" to refer to a BMW automobile is frowned upon by some BMW enthusiasts, because it is the term used for motorcycles. Although the distinction is completely arbitrary, to this day, the media, movies, and most people still use the term "beemer" to refer to the automobiles. Interestingly, in the German language, the common pronunciation of the term "bimmer" is "beemer."

Thanks for the explanation.

Regarding pronunciation of BMW:

When I buy one I get the video tape or CD and they always have an English guy saying, "Congratttulationnnns on the purrrrchase of yourrrr neeeeew Beeyambdawbyooo."

So for we 'mericans to call it Bee Em Doubleyoo is completely wrong.

The correct pronunciation is:

Bee Yamb Dawwwb Beyooah (urbane english accent)

I like it!

Welcome on Board as Porsche Jeck Said.

If you cannot think live sleep one minute without having a porsche in you possetion then you are right to buy the car. YOu will live for it and it will live for you. (Dont forget your wife though as they tend to be a bit jealous....!)

Enjoy the ride my friend!

just when you think you know the definition of the word fugly...

If it bothers you that someone might think you are a "poser", then maybe you have some "poser" in you.
    If you don't give a damn what "they" think, then I think you are "poser"-free.

who cares what a bunch of people on the internet think. They are not paying for your car. Decide what you are (Poser vs non-poser) and enjoy your car anyway you want.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752870 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430540 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258504 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868126 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801701 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM