Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Final details of order ?S Chrono

I still have a little time before the order is locked in on my C4S.

I have ordered sport exhaust, -20 suspension and sports seats.

I remain unsure about ordering sports chrono. I know the throttle sensitivity/mapping changes with SC. Do you find that you really use the other feautures of SC all that much? ie the lap timer or the programmability options? Does the hard cut out at redline make much difference or the reduced interference of PSM?

Thanks for your thoughts. This forum is great. It influenced me to get PSE for which I am grateful having heard it now on another car

Re: Final details of order ?S Chrono

My sincere advice to you is to get Sport Chrono. Whilst you can generate the throttle response yourself simply by pressing the accelerator pedal more, the fact that the car responds more with much smaller throttle inputs makes the car into a twitchy, edgy, sporty little demon. I love this alter ego. Others view it as a gimmick. I honestly like having the choice. The car is a real joy and adding SC makes it into a real beast when you are in the mood.

Many many congrats on your sporty specs. You are going to love this car!

Yeah get SC. I wish I did. I would have the stopwatch removed from dash if it continued to bother me. It is easy to remove and stuff into dash. You need some locally made leather or vinyl "patch" which would look just find IMHO.

Just get the darn thing. It has alot of little things that it allows you to do/adjust that are unrelated to the stopwatch.

How can I ignore "just get the darn thing" or "sincere advice"? OK OK I will add it. Thanks easy rider and MMD

I have a March build date and May delivery. I will have to get my fix from this BB till then.

I decided against it. My decision was 1) too much extra PoundsPoundsPounds that would be better saved, 2) looks like a Carlos Fandango add on* that a Max Power teenager would save up to buy from Halfords and offseting that was 3) the advantage of a more aggressive PSM map... but for the 98% of the time I'd spend on the road I'd not get the benefit of it.

*Alright... maybe a bit harsh.

I have it and think it looks OK. I'm just use to it. Having the sports button is the best feature.

Have you seen this graph?

Quote:
    sevoman said:

I remain unsure about ordering sports chrono. I know the throttle sensitivity/mapping changes with SC. Do you find that you really use the other feautures of SC all that much? ie the lap timer or the programmability options? Does the hard cut out at redline make much difference or the reduced interference of PSM?

Thanks for your thoughts. This forum is great. It influenced me to get PSE for which I am grateful having heard it now on another car

When I had ordered the car, I thought the chorono S was a must.
    But after 3 months; evenif I always use the sport button, I don't like the look of the clock on the dash and now I think that it spoils the smooth lines of the dashboard especially if you have full leather interior.

If I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't get the chrono S. Instead I spend the same money for software update which will increase throttle response, maybe gives a few additional ponnies, maybe little extra rev if you choose to rise the rev limiter and you won't see that clock all the time which is good for nothing.

I also advise you to test drive a -20mm chassie car before ordering. Evenif the LSD is great and the car handles like a go-cart, when the smoothness of the road goes to less than perfect, the chassie becomes very unconfortable and the car becomes too stiff.

Just my opinion off course

Quote:
    sevoman said:

I too donot like the sports chrono watch. It really interrupts the smooth line of front dash. I got it in both my cars. But I would take the clock on the dash and deal with it because you get the extra kick, not alot but enough. It's worth it. Now are you a sevoman, like isoman or maybe desman, or haloman(I hope you get my point, otherwise disregard)? I am strictly a sevoman myself.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I have it and think it looks OK. I'm just use to it. Having the sports button is the best feature.

Regarding the Sports mode, there is no doubt that the sport button allows you to get fast and lose with the back end with reassurance that the electronic nanny is not far away. Without Sport you either have to take a brave tablet and disengage PSM (the system with still reengage if you active brakes during a slide) or else accept that PSM will prevent excessive Tom Foolery.

If you like the looks - fair play to you.

Quote:
    mvn1971 said:
    Quote:
    sevoman said:

I too donot like the sports chrono watch. It really interrupts the smooth line of front dash. I got it in both my cars. But I would take the clock on the dash and deal with it because you get the extra kick, not alot but enough. It's worth it. Now are you a sevoman, like isoman or maybe desman, or haloman(I hope you get my point, otherwise disregard)? I am strictly a sevoman myself.

You have sprung me!! Well mostly I am a sevoman, sometimes a desman (especially for ultra bigs), rarely an isoman these days but not infrequently I am a propoman. I was trained as a haloman!

Are there many sevomen rennteamers??

I was in your position a couple of months ago when I also had to finalize my order. I initially ordered the Chrono package then afterwards deleted the option, because over time I would prefer to maintain the clean lines of the dash, purely aesthetic. I also figured after the first couple I will eventually lose interest and not really use it in day to day driving.

This is an issue that seems to be split pretty evenly. It seems to me that most who have it (myself including) seem to like it siting it's functionality as justification (modified throttle mapping leads the list). Occasionally, someone who didn't order it wishes he had (e.g. MMD) and the people who didn't get it (whether it was a conscious decision or not) can give pretty good reasons why the are glad they didn't get it (most often cost and the looks of the chrono on the dash). I would recommend driving cars with and without it, considering the additional functionality and how important these additional features are to you, and then deciding for yourself. Good luck with your decision!

I initially loved it but now using quite infrequently but then on some days you just want to have a different feel and i will activate it and really enjoy the change in the car's personality...
    Could live without but it definitely adds something to the car and yes with pasm on sport and throttle on sport the car does turn into a twitchy demon which can be a lot of fun even if it is no faster and even slower in some cases because of difficulty modulating the throttle smoothly, what the heck sometimes you just want to be a hooligan.
    Most importantly i can set the daylight driving lights on and off depending on whether i want to be safe or lay low in silent mode...

It's another playful gadget. Helps you enjoy the car more if you like gadgets. Throttle is a bigbpart of any car. Adjustments to door light timing and misc other controls are good to have. If the wart stays obnoxious to you it can be removed and a custom-made "speaker grille" put in it's place.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM