Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsches War On Toyota

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/conten...index+page_news

Porsche plans to battle Toyota with VW - by applying the same techniques and processes to VW as Porsche did to itself - that it learned from Toyota.

Re: Porsches War On Toyota

An interesting read, thanks

How wouldn't you trust Wiedeking?

I hate Toyota - I wouldn't mind Porsche / VW taking over the world! They own the best brands. I can't think of one Toyota car I like. The Lexus GS something or other isn't too bad but everything is looks like crap. The other interesting thing for me as a foreigner living in Japan, most Japanese people like non Japanese cars. In my apartment block there is only one Japanese car - owned by a stupid old woman who CANNOT DRIVE.

Lastly, the cars Toyota offers the international market are way better than what they offer the Jap market. They have something like 35 - 36 different junk models here. Hard to tell them apart.

Very interesting, thank you for posting.

Monumental mistake, this is all about ego and the power over Porsche this ego has, due to his control of the voting shares! Wiedeking will do exactly as he is told!
    This will be interesting, but ultimately painful to watch!

It's the same story everywhere.

The Big Three know a sizeable share of the public will always "buy American". That's how you get disasters like the Explorer or the Cobalt. They're terrible, but they sell anyhow.

Japanese manufacturers know they have little to fear from foreign competitors in Japan. So, they keep their better cars for Western markets, while the Third World gets the bottom of the barrel.

French manufacturers routinely price-gouged French customers. It wasn't until the state put its money where its mouth was and started buying Fords instead of Renaults that they lowered their prices and upgraded the standard equipment. That's about as close to an act of God as it gets.

Fiat gets away with building utter POS because Italian customers still buy them. They hardly sell any cars outside Italy any more, but as long as it's enough to keep the company going, there's no reason to change.

Customers are jingoistic and manufacturers know it. They'd be stupid not to take advantage of their customers' own stupidity.

in toyota the old saying everyone hates a winner is true...ive had a dozen of em of various variants over the years...consistantly they are never broken...reasonably priced to service....look ok...and best of all are easy to sell at strong prices.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Japanese manufacturers know they have little to fear from foreign competitors in Japan. So, they keep their better cars for Western markets, while the Third World gets the bottom of the barrel.

I would interpret the situation differently.

Japanese car manufacturers would very much like to displace the imports if they could, even though their numbers are relatively small. The imports tend to be high-price, high-status products, which are therefore also high-margin products.

Problem is, the domestic manufacturers' products do not have the same status amongst the target Japanese consumers as an exotic European import. A high-ticket Lexus has more street credibility in the USA than it does in Tokyo! Similarly, you'll see more Gucci, Versace, Prada, Hermes or Burberry products in large Tokyo department stores than you would in similar stores in the west.

Japanese manufacturers have groomed the western markets so long that they can now sell high-price, high-margin products there to buyers who value them for their reliability and their affordable fully-equipped packages. Those same manufacturers have to be satisfied with selling "minimalistic", low-margin products to third world markets, because that's what those markets can afford.

I assume you had not really meant to include Japan amongst the thirld-world markets referred to in your above post?

very impressive argument.. I would agree with fritz. Lexus do have higher street credibility in the states than Tokyo. But one thing ive notice in my last visit to Tokyo is that Toyata and Nissan offers models that are not available overseas. I wouldnt remember the name of the model, but id assume they are made to target cars like the Merc S-Class and & BMW 7 series.

I rented a Toyota Yaris on one of my trips to Panama. It waS 5SPEED AND I TRUELY LOVED IT!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    I assume you had not really meant to include Japan amongst the thirld-world markets referred to in your above post?

My mistake. I meant Europe and the US got the best cars, Japan got what was not good enough for the West, and the Third World got what was not good enough for Japan.

You're right about the prestige of European goods. There's indeed a reverse-jingoism in the upper spheres of the market.

Quote:
    kickdown said:
    very impressive argument.. I would agree with fritz. Lexus do have higher street credibility in the states than Tokyo.

AFAIK Lexus was only recently introduced in Japan. Before that, the same cars were sold under the Toyota badge. Maybe they still do (Japanese manufacturers do as much badge-engineering in Japan as GM does in the US).

Quote:
    kickdown said:
    But one thing ive notice in my last visit to Tokyo is that Toyata and Nissan offers models that are not available overseas.

Both Nissan and Toyota offer domestic models which they do not bother getting type approval for for Europe. The Nissan Cedric comes to mind, if that model name is still currently used. I remember it looking like a luxury sedan, but being low-tech under the skin.

I remember that back in the mid-90's, the top Japanese luxury cars were models from the 70's. Often with extravagant interiors.

Well Fritz, wait long enough and you might get a Toyota Crown for Christmas

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    I remember that back in the mid-90's, the top Japanese luxury cars were models from the 70's. Often with extravagant interiors.

Never saw too much of the interiors because of the lace curtains they fitted to the windows.

You think I'm kidding, don't you?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Well Fritz, wait long enough and you might get a Toyota Crown for Christmas

I think I'd prefer a bottle of Corona after dinner.

There are a whole bunch of Jap cars not available overseas. In fact, you can't even buy them in Japan unless you are a bigh shot (you can get them secondhand though) Examples, Nissan President - you have to be a president to get one. Toyota Century - what all the politicians are driven around in, costs about USD 120,000 or so. Then there are the Cima's, Gloria's and Cedric's. All aimed at people who want to be driven around - not actually drive.

Lexus only started selling here last year and most people are not impressed, same car just a different label for more money.?

In Japan status in order:

1. Mercedes Benz
    2. BMW
    3. Jaguar
    4. Audi

Sports Cars

1. Ferrari
    2. Porsche
    3. Lamborghini
    4. Aston Martin

The brand is more important than the price.

Bentley is getting more popular with the Continental GT but an AMG still has more street cred.

Watches are

1. Rolex
    2. Frank Muller - not sure of the spelling
    3. Cartier
    4. IWC

Bags are Louis Vuitton, Prada.

Really interesting thread
    One own experience came to my mind when reading the thread:
    couple of years ago I had a business appointment in Tokyo. As a courtesy the president of the Japanese company which I visited picked me up in his car (driven by a chauffeur) at Narita airport. The car was a V12 MB S-class. Now the funny thing was that the core business of this Japanese company was (and still is)....building engine blocks for Toyota

Quote:
    The Groom said:

What do you think Porsche is doing? Not only did they learn from Toyota regarding production methods and efficiencies but they learned how to put lipstick on a pig and sell it.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    What do you think Porsche is doing? Not only did they learn from Toyota regarding production methods and efficiencies but they learned how to put lipstick on a pig and sell it.

Great idea, I should definitely put a lace blind on my Targa.

By the way am I the only one to think the 430 looks like a 360 going to a "pimps & ho'es" party?

Nick, you are just full of holiday season cheer.

Speaking of pigs, what do you think of the $6000.00 Ferrari pigskin luggage set? or the $1354.00 coat hanger option for the new 599GTB? Lipstick on pigs?

the 430 is a lazy 360 makeover!

Quote:
    fritz said:

My mate only started buying corona after seeing it in the no man's land film.

And he gave me a few bottles of it, and its not bad.

Although i very rarely drink, i dont go the pub and i dont buy beer myself, although i was thinking about getting some corona...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:

You really have to ditch that crack pipe... "lipstick on a pig"...Man you are too funny

Quote:
    The Groom said:

By the way am I the only one to think the 430 looks like a 360 going to a "pimps & ho'es" party?

Statements like that only serve to rattle the cage of the F-car fanatics I wonder if Nick would agree with the comparison between the 430 and 360.

Quote:
    stubenhocker said:
    Monumental mistake, this is all about ego and the power over Porsche this ego has, due to his control of the voting shares! Wiedeking will do exactly as he is told!
    This will be interesting, but ultimately painful to watch!

I'm not sure about this. Yes, the Piech and Porsche families have a lot of saying but in the end they owe Wiedeking a lot and they know that. This is why he is one of the (if not THE) best paid CEO in Germany.

Taking control over Volkswagen makes life for Porsche much much easier, especially if we're looking at future products like the Panamera. I don't think that what is happening now is a bad thing, I'm just a little bit upset that instead of offering loyal customers more for their money, Porsche does a bit too much for shareholder value and their own good. I can't blame them but as a longtime customer, I feel a little bit dissapointed.

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:

Statements like that only serve to rattle the cage of the F-car fanatics I wonder if Nick would agree with the comparison between the 430 and 360.

Take either the 360 or 430 and park it next to a Porsche 996/997 and watch the Porsche disappear.

Be fair, Porsche styling has not changed for what 60 years? An inverted bathtub that strongly resembles a sitting frog. Do you believe Herr Porsche would have used that style but for his concept of the engine behind the rear axle?

All Porsche does is use different make-up to cover up its outdated styling.

Quote:
    911digital said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:

My mate only started buying corona after seeing it in the no man's land film.

And he gave me a few bottles of it, and its not bad.

Although i very rarely drink, i dont go the pub and i dont buy beer myself, although i was thinking about getting some corona...

Man, you make it sound like you're standing at the edge of the slippery slope!

Should I be feeling guilty for mentioning Corona?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:

Take either the 360 or 430 and park it next to a Porsche 996/997 and watch the Porsche disappear.

Be fair, Porsche styling has not changed for what 60 years? An inverted bathtub that strongly resembles a sitting frog. Do you believe Herr Porsche would have used that style but for his concept of the engine behind the rear axle?

All Porsche does is use different make-up to cover up its outdated styling.

Once one finds near perfection...one need only slightly and subtly modify it to arrive closer and closer to absolute perfection... Keep trying I'm almost converted and will soon acknowledge that ferrari is not a kit car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752837 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430488 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258474 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255407 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868086 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801666 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM