Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Just placed my order ...

I just ordered an MY 2007 C4S, which will be delivered in March.

Specifications
    - Basalt black with two tone black/stone grey leather
    - manual transmission
    - sport exhaust
    - sport chrono
    - leather rear center console, door finishings
    - porsche crest on seats, wheels and console
    - stainless steel entrance guards (lighted)
    - PCM, phone and cd-changer
    - Bose sound system
    - home link, rear wiper, rain sensor
    - heated and electric seats

I will show pics on delivery in March.

In the meantime am looking to get iPod compatibility built in.

Re: Just placed my order ...

Congrats! Welcome.

First Porsche?

Yes. First Porsche... test drove the Jaguar XK, Mercedes SL and BMW M6. BMW was the only one close in any respect, but it was too refined. Didn't like the Jag or Merc from the get go ...

I became a convert after about 10 minutes.

My biggest difficulty has been choosing the color... still not sure (Midnight Blue is the other alternative I keep wondering).

Midnight Blue is a belting colour. Looks awesome when it's waxed. Congrats, and as always the wait is terrible.

Have you seen the lighted door sills? Are they much more than regular door sills?

Sounds gr8! Congratulations and welcome aboard!

You'll love the 2 tone interior!

Started with stainless steel door sills, because they look better than the plastic ones.

I am in Poland, which is a pretty dark country and saw the lighted sills, they are nice for parking garages and winter evenings. Not something I would bother with if I lived in Italy or southern california (but then I wouldn't have chosen a dark interior either).

Congratulations on your order. Nice spec. You've pretty much nailed it.

I'd add leather sun visors (stock ones look cheap) and drop the CD changer. You can't use it with an iPod adapter. And since the PCM CD drive reads MP3 CDs, you wouldn't use it anyway.

I'd also change the Porsche crest on the rear console storage compartment lid with the Carrera 4S logo, since the crest is already on the head rests. YMMV.

Congrats Newowner! Your going to love it

IMO, leather is like varnish on a classic yacht. Everytime passengers come aboard you scream silently to yourself, "WATCH OUT FOR THE VARNISH!!"

So I'd not get leather in exposed areas.

The crest in seat back just adds more stuff to an already busy interior.

CD changer? I think I have used my CD player five times in 7000 miles. Just using one CD at a time is more than sufficient. Engine sounds are more important to me and most other drivers I believe.

Check out other wheels, "lobster forks" are ok, but not, again IMHO, the best-looking wheels for the overall look of the car. Make sure you see the wheels in person and not in photos.

Anyway, your choices sound good, I just suggesting stuff to reconsider while you have a chance to change order. It's a last minute thing... .

I like the Carrera sport wheels "XRR" much better than the stock "S" wheel also.
    Love the illuminated sills...

Great suggestions everyone... making my life

Great suggestions everyone ... making my life difficult.

I will stick with the CD player as I am in the habit of changing from CD to CD and also I am not sure the iPod solutions work all that well.

Does anyone have a photo of the Carrera S crest on a rear console? I have only seen the Porsche crest there and liked it...

I may need to revisit the wheels and leather sun visors. Any other suggestions out there?

What a dilemma to have ...

Quote:
    Newowner said:
    Great suggestions everyone ... making my life difficult.

I will stick with the CD player as I am in the habit of changing from CD to CD and also I am not sure the iPod solutions work all that well.

I believe you can store almost as many songs on a CD loaded with MP3s as will fit on CDs loaded in the CD changer--just something to think about.

Quote:
    Newowner said:\

Does anyone have a photo of the Carrera S crest on a rear console?

My C4S console...

Congrats, great specs. And welcome to rennteam. Just like Tom Cruise said in Risky Business. "Porsche, there is no substitute." What luxury sports car out there can you drive everyday and have such reliability. Won JD Powers award for customer satisfaction.

Quote:
    planenuts4speed said:I believe you can store almost as many songs on a CD loaded with MP3s as will fit on CDs loaded in the CD changer--just something to think about.

A CD holds almost 700 MB, which is enough for about 175 average-sized MP3 songs. That's equivalent to roughly 20 regular music CDs! Add the CD changer, and you can have 7 MP3 burned CDs equalling 140 music CDs in the car ready to play at the touch of a button.

Quote:
    911Dave said:
    Quote:
    planenuts4speed said:I believe you can store almost as many songs on a CD loaded with MP3s as will fit on CDs loaded in the CD changer--just something to think about.

A CD holds almost 700 MB, which is enough for about 175 average-sized MP3 songs. That's equivalent to roughly 20 regular music CDs! Add the CD changer, and you can have 7 MP3 burned CDs equalling 140 music CDs in the car ready to play at the touch of a button.

I didn't realize the CD changer would read MP3s (the one in my BMW didn't). Thanks for clarifying that. I still think I would personally prefer to wait for the IPOD connectivity.

Quote:
    911Dave said:
    Quote:

If I am not mistaken, only the CD player in the PCM head unit is MP3 compatible. The CD changer is not.

you are correct!

Bugger!

Quote:
    911Dave said:
    Quote:

With all due respect, this is incorrect advice.

The 6 CD changer only plays audio CDs not mp3 CDs. So if you have 6 audio CDs with about 18 songs on each, that's 108 songs. It's completely unnecessary. One single mp3 CD which the PCM CD player will play can hold as many as 175 songs. It's a no-brainer. You simply won't need a 6 CD changer.

A polite request - please only advise if you are sure you are correct. This forum mustn't mislead newcomers - it should be an accurate, informative source of information.

No offence intended. Just a polite request.

All of this discussion has been helpful for me. For a discussion of the iPod integration question, I started a parallel forum ...

Worth taking a look at if you are interested in a 'sound' discussion ...

One thing not discussed here is that the average MP3 compression is much lower than CD quality compression (and only a lossless compression comes close). If someone is an audiophile - like me - they can hear the compression. Better off with 6 good quality CDs or a high quality iPod/auxillary connection in my opinion (if you want to listen to music), otherwise just listen to the engine (which is not a bad idea anyway !

Thanks again for everyone's input. This is part of the benefits and reason to own: Passion.

Quote:
    911Dave said:
    Quote:

For MY2006 that statement is incorrect. Only the indash CD player will support MP3/WMA disks. The cd-changer only reads audio cds.

Quote:
    Newowner said:
    One thing not discussed here is that the average MP3 compression is much lower than CD quality compression (and only a lossless compression comes close). If someone is an audiophile - like me - they can hear the compression. Better off with 6 good quality CDs or a high quality iPod/auxillary connection in my opinion (if you want to listen to music), otherwise just listen to the engine (which is not a bad idea anyway !

Thanks again for everyone's input. This is part of the benefits and reason to own: Passion.

I understand your point. However, I dare you to find the difference between the original CD and a quality 320 kb/s (VBR) MP3 rip. Especially in a moving car.

You can fit more music on one HQ MP3 CD than in your entire CD changer.

AFAIK the iPod adapter forces you to nix the CD changer anyway, so why bother? You'll even save some room in the trunk.

Of course, uncompressed CD and lossless Apple files are superb. But compression is perfectly adequate if you stick to 192kbps. AFAIK the human ear isn't capable of telling the difference if you stick to this level of compression (or above). If you have 192kbps, you'll fit around 145 songs on average onto your mp3 CD.

However, if you use 128kbps, then certainly, there is a definite reduction in sound quality which you will be able to notice. The only advantage is that you can fit around 175 songs at 128kbps onto one mp3 CD.

It annoys me that songs downloaded from iTunes Music Store are at 128kbps.

I have to say though that a car is very far from being the right place to really appreciate music with all the noise from the tyres, engine etc and especially if you have PSE and you have done the PSE modification so that it stays on all the time. The PSE sound is really loud at 4000rpm (and no doubt gets a lot louder above that) so it does reduce your ability to appreciate music considerably.

But if you ask me, I LOVE the PSE sound and would sacrifice music anyday!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690602 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409850 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256068 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235299 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4715 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858515 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774788 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM