Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Getting K40 caliber 4L, anyone heard of it?

Has anyone heard of this integrated radar detector? having this put in this weekend by very reputable company. Also instead getting fm modulator, will be getting NAV TV fiberoptic input for my ipod/inno. Has anyone heard of this. Getting windows tinted. This will all be done saturday. And hopefully a clear bra on front end tomorrow. I highly recommend this. Got it on the cab and have no dings or paint chips

Re: Getting K40 caliber 4L, anyone heard of it?

If you do a search here on Rennteam you will should find a few threads regarding the K40. Radar detector choice can become as hot a topic as religion. In my case I pray to the Valentine 1.

Just like the K40, search Rennteam for Nav-TV and also Dension for iPod integration. The Nav-TV unit has some well known problems (including causing reboots to the system, etc.) The Dension unit is in final testing now, until it hits general users like myself I doubt we will get full answers on problems in that unit like the ones that Nav-TV is having.

I've had my windows tinted. I had a problem with the tint peeling away from the bottom of the window since the window raises and lowers everytime you open and close the door. The final fix has been for the tint shop to take off the door panel and tint the glass lower then just below the rubber seal strip. I've also let them keep my car for a full three days so that the tint has time to fully dry (cure) to the glass to keep problems to a minimum.

Good luck with your new P-car. BTW, is HB Hermosa Beach or Huntington Beach? If it is Hermosa Beach maybe I'll see your car driving around when I am out there for Christmas.

Thanks for the post. Very helpful Huntington Beach.

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    If you do a search here on Rennteam you will should find a few threads regarding the K40. Radar detector choice can become as hot a topic as religion. In my case I pray to the Valentine 1.

Just like the K40, search Rennteam for Nav-TV and also Dension for iPod integration. The Nav-TV unit has some well known problems (including causing reboots to the system, etc.) The Dension unit is in final testing now, until it hits general users like myself I doubt we will get full answers on problems in that unit like the ones that Nav-TV is having.

I've had my windows tinted. I had a problem with the tint peeling away from the bottom of the window since the window raises and lowers everytime you open and close the door. The final fix has been for the tint shop to take off the door panel and tint the glass lower then just below the rubber seal strip. I've also let them keep my car for a full three days so that the tint has time to fully dry (cure) to the glass to keep problems to a minimum.

Good luck with your new P-car. BTW, is HB Hermosa Beach or Huntington Beach? If it is Hermosa Beach maybe I'll see your car driving around when I am out there for Christmas.

Important do these products affect your warranty?

I had the K40 installed about a month ago by a shop up here in the valley - I LOVE it. The same shop did a FM modulator hard wire as a temporary solution - as they were no to fond of the NAV-TV unit (too many "bugs" in their OPPINION). They were waiting until 6 months AFTER the Dennison product is released, just to make sure the bugs are all worked out. Radar install was three days - and perfect. Also got the front and rear laser diffusers - a must in cali where we live.

Quote:
    steveo said:
    I had the K40 installed about a month ago by a shop up here in the valley - I LOVE it. The same shop did a FM modulator hard wire as a temporary solution - as they were no to fond of the NAV-TV unit (too many "bugs" in their OPPINION). They were waiting until 6 months AFTER the Dennison product is released, just to make sure the bugs are all worked out. Radar install was three days - and perfect. Also got the front and rear laser diffusers - a must in cali where we live.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should wait for the other system to get here. I will discuss with salesperson to tomorrow.

MVN, I have the K40 installed, but subsequently purchased a V1 and I have to say that the V1 seems more sensitive, giving warnings significantly in advance of the K40. I only wish the V1 could be installed like the K40.

Regarding the VI vs. K40, lots of discussions here about both. I asked (and brought many of these threads to) my installer he stated that the V1 was probably one of the best, but it was not what I was looking for - an invisible installation. I, like many other people, bought a V1 as well, and used them in tandem on a drive to Arizona. They both worked great - the V1 gave me a little bit more warning (about 3 seconds IMO). But, after that test - I put the V1 in my other car. I like the clean installation of the K40, and the bottom line for me is that we play so we must be prepared to pay. Both systems are good. Both work - I think in boils down to the ago old argument of form vs. function. I'll choose form, as I hate clutter, and the V1 installation, despite it remarkable performance, reminds me of something I had in my first car as a kid, cords dangling, hacks into the fuse box, wires stuffed where they are not supposed to be stuffed, and a box next to my rearview.

PS -

I had my windows tinted as well - no problem - you get what you pay for.

A radar/laser detector sole function is to alert with the greatest range possible of an upcoming hazard. If the V1 gives a 3 second lead time over a competitor I personally will take the 3 second lead time!

With regards to the window tint comment of you get what you pay for. Owning a P-car pretty much shows that we think of automobiles as much more then just a method of getting from point A to point B. People know this and price "things" appropriately for high end vehicles. Paying a high price does not mean you will always get a better product or service over paying a lower price. My comment is "You get what you sign up for!" If you don't know that tint shops may not take off a door panel to tint well below the bottom of the visible part of the window then you might get burned like I did and have to spend extra time and wasted energy having the shop redo (not at my expense though) what they did wrong. [Funny side to this is that the shop that did my tint was the one that my P-dealer sent it to. One that they have sent many other 997s to. So yes, I was disappointed to learn they tried to short cut my install.]

I enjoy my tinted windows, along with V1. As I wrote in a previous thread, radar detector aliegence is like religion or politics. Things tend to get heated quickly.

Bottom line is to enjoy your P-car!

Was saved from ticket to day on PCH. Doing 70mph which was really not faster than anyone else. Got the warning 1/2 mile away. Motorcycle cop on the otherside of the ridge. Just payed for itself today.

I went with the Valentine 1 design for the directional input. I did my installation a lot different than everyone else.

(1) The head unit (with antennae) goes in the usual place to the left of the rearview mirror. The line to it is inserted in the window trim (I would put a half hitch in it periodically to help it stay in the slot between the interior trim and the glass) and I routed it on the passenger side windshield and to the A post, through the dashboard end trim and down into the footwell area just beneath the carpet trim (out of sight) and then to the center console.

(2) The remote display unit and remote power control unit are mounted inside the little cubbyhole area of the 997 autos beneath the PCM display.

(3) Power to the hard install device was obtained from a switched 12V line above the fuse box (I removed the trim from around the fuse box and loosened up the box considerably to gain good access during the installation). I used the old trial and error method with a multimeter and a pin to probe and ultimately locate a decent switched 12V power source. I grounded the unit with the nut that secures the fuse box assembly to the body.

(4) The power lines are then routed around the left foot well (just below the top of the carpeted areas,--and below the steering rod) to the center console area.

(5) The biggest challenge was fishing the wires into the cubbyhole area. First off, remove the rubber piece that is in the bottom of that area. It is secured in 5 place,--3 along the front lip, and two in the rear. Along with the securing holes are two slightly larger holes in the rear, about a third of the way up from the bottom plate level. Suggest you fish a stiff wire through there toward the front of the car and once through, attach your two power lines (neg and plus) along with the telephone line--2 pair) and taping them to your snake, pull the whole mess into the cubbyhole. For the control line you need to cut off the end (the RJ11 terminal) from the telephone line to get it through the small hole,--note the polarity of the lines,--is the black wire on the left or right?) and using an RJ11 crimper, replace that terminal with the correct polarization once the wire is through.

(5) Build yourself two short telephone lines with RJ11 connectors (properly polarized at each end) crimped on.

(6) Connect everything as needed. I used solder to connect up to the Valentine 1 provided power plug,--shortened to save on excessive wires in there. I also used shrink tubing on both connections. Using double stick foam-back squares, take the two remote units and stick them together, with the display remote on the left side. Using a black magic marker, color in the front seam of the foam so it is hidden from view. Place about 4 more squares of that double stick foam on the top of the remote units (now treat as an assembly). The rubber base for the cubbyhole should have a good sized hole cut out in the rear, left corresponding to where the lines enter the cubbyhole. Using a razerblade, slice a direct slash in it to speed up installation it you choose (or fish everything through first and put the connector (RJ11) on last). Secure the rubber base first. Finally, take the assembly of remotes and press them into the opening, recessing them far enough so that they can be hidden with an optional piece of trim, or what have you for stealth operation.

All done!

Two pictures provided to the way it looks installed:

with trim for a stealthy look,--you can still mute the sound by lightly pressing on the wooden trim that touches the mute buttom on the volume control

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    with trim for a stealthy look,--you can still mute the sound by lightly pressing on the wooden trim that touches the mute buttom on the volume control

But isn't the V1 plainly visible on the windshield ? That's the major disadvantage, as far as I'm concerned. I wish MV would build a concealed version...

It's not that noticeable if you pull the visor down (from behind. From the front it's also not too bad,--the black matrix hides it a bit. I'm working on that aspect of it. May have a solution soon for the cabrio. Part of it is finding whether certain inside body materials are RF transparent.

Dan

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691157 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256270 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235429 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858874 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775188 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM