Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thicker steering wheel vs. Multi Function

For a manual transmission Car.
    I'm trying to convince someone to ge tthe thicker steering wheel especially because its for a manual car. I think in a manual transmission the multi function has less of a function. Because your always reaching for the stick anyways. Please tell me about your experiences with each steering wheel and what you would recommend.
    Thanks

Re: Thicker steering wheel vs. Multi Function

I have the thick wheel and am very pleased with its feel, I do not do think that the multifunction wheel in a manual would be that useful unless you tend to multitask while driving.

I have the Multi Function wheel and a manual and love it. I perfer the look of the Multi Function wheel. I do use the mute button.

I have the multifunction with ipod hookup and I love it... I'll eventually get the techart steering wheel and have the best of both worlds.

I have the thicker steering wheel. It is easier on my hands when driving long distances. The last thing you want are for your fingers to cramp.

Multifunction? IMO, freaking useless since AFAIK there's no mute button for radio nor pause button for CD (no such buttons on the PCM either AFAIK). Add to that I don't listen to lots of music while in traffic so heavy that I have to keep both hands on wheel at all times.

Hate to say it but the triangle-shape of the wheel center has been played , looks dated. Round wheel center has a refreshing look stylistically.

Thicker? IMO, doesn't make sense that the "sportier" S has a thinner wheel than the non-S. Seems like a thicker wheel would be better on a heavy car with difficult or imprecise steering, or a car meant to be driven long distances, or for someone with joint problems. Just my us$.02.

Hi there,

To tell you the truth I have ordered mine in manual with the thick sports wheel. I have tested the multifunction one but I did not like it.

Besides a manual car is to be driven with more involvment in the driving processus.

So Sports whell all the way!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Multifunction? IMO, freaking useless since AFAIK there's no mute button for radio nor pause button for CD (no such buttons on the PCM either AFAIK)

Simple, push the left mini roller in = mute & pause!

I personally think the round steering wheel looks dated. But then again I haven't been around many other cars with a triangular wheel myself.

For the MF wheel I love the way:

- you can change the volume so quickly when you need to: having a conversation, good song, leveling CD track volumes, listening for rattles
    - you can easily zoom in and out of the Nav map as the normal knob is difficult to get the desired setting due to the map delay when changing. Much easier on the steering wheel as the mini roller has definite easier to control clicks.
    - it glows at night when you turn into your driveway
    - it looks WAY less plasticy than the round wheel

My next Porsche will have the MF wheel with the Carbon option I think.

PS: saying all that I think the MF wheel is only fully applicable if you have all of the following options: Nav + Bose + Phone.

I think the MF wheel is very practical and useful BUT, hideously ugly IMHO! A triangular steering wheel centre with tiny pimple-like buttons? Yuk!

Let's face it, it doesn't matter how great a girl is at ironing, vacuuming, cooking etc. If you just don't like the way she looks, you won't be able to sleep with her or, if you do, the next morning you'll hate yourself for having being that desperate. Simple as that. Looks do matter in some things. A Porsche is one such thing.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Hate to say it but the triangle-shape of the wheel center has been played , looks dated. Round wheel center has a refreshing look stylistically...

When I ordered my car I did not like the round wheel center and I left the wheel stock. I think the round center makes it look to Audi like. It would have been nice if they had thicker triangular steering wheel.

You can have the best of both worlds and get the multi-function steering wheel (431) with a thicker steering wheel (CPA) which is new for model year 2007. Just got that on my C4S. True, its Porsche so it's silly expensive for what it is ($740 on the S models for multi-function plus $930 for the thicker wheel). I initially really likes the round circular steering wheel, but now that I have the triangle, I actually prefer it. Very individual taste, but I wouldn't not get multi-function just to keep the circle.

Here is a (not so great) picture of the Porsche "thicker" multi-function steering wheel on my C4S

I personally think the round steering wheel looks dated. But then again I haven't been around many other cars with a triangular wheel myself.

For the MF wheel I love the way:

- you can change the volume so quickly when you need to: having a conversation, good song, leveling CD track volumes, listening for rattles
    - you can easily zoom in and out of the Nav map as the normal knob is difficult to get the desired setting due to the map delay when changing. Much easier on the steering wheel as the mini roller has definite easier to control clicks.
    - it glows at night when you turn into your driveway
    - it looks WAY less plasticy than the round wheel

PS: saying all that I think the MF wheel is only fully applicable if you have all of the following options: Nav + Bose + Phone.

Ditto what he said

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

The MF wheel in Carbon is nice. I just had mine installed.

Thicker MF wheel is quite nice.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

The MF wheel in Carbon is nice. I just had mine installed.

Pictures please

I have already configured my next Turbo with it in on the Porsche car configuration site. Struggled to decide between Aluminium and Carbon packages though with matching MF steering wheel.

...now just waiting for that all elusive 997 Facelift with all new goodies (incl Powerkit) before I upgrade. Quicker, come on hurry up Porsche! - don't you know how much depreciation I'm losing in the meantime. Oh, of course you do!!

Here is a picture of mine MF Carbon Wheel. I love it.

Quote:
    Weasel said:

My mistake. I was wrong. Since there's no mute and/or pause function on my PCM for the CD and volume I certainly didn't expect there'd be one on the wheel.

As for "Excellence" it really bothers me that the wheel has mute and pause capability and the PCM does not.

I dont understand why you don't have this on your PCM.

Do you not have the Bose option?

I just scanned this page from my PCM guide...

...hey if that date is correct in the illustration above then it just shows how antiquated the system is!

Quote:
    avogues said:
    You can have the best of both worlds and get the multi-function steering wheel (431) with a thicker steering wheel (CPA) which is new for model year 2007. Just got that on my C4S. True, its Porsche so it's silly expensive for what it is ($740 on the S models for multi-function plus $930 for the thicker wheel). I initially really likes the round circular steering wheel, but now that I have the triangle, I actually prefer it. Very individual taste, but I wouldn't not get multi-function just to keep the circle.

Here is a (not so great) picture of the Porsche "thicker" multi-function steering wheel on my C4S

We would get it but it lacks thumb hooks

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    I dont understand why you don't have this on your PCM.

Do you not have the Bose option?

I just scanned this page from my PCM guide...

Yes, I DO have it but to get the @#$%^& thing muted you have to "program" it. There's no such thing AFAIK as a one touch mute and no such thing as a one touch CD pause button on the thing.

Pleeeeease correct me if I'm wrong. I mean it's suuuuuch an oversight by Porsche if, other than on the MF wheel, there's no "one touch" capability for these essential functions! Matter of fact if the marginal-IQ sales guy TOLD me the MF wheel has this function as a one touch feature (and PCM does not)I would have bought it!

I have the MF wheel (and just ordered the Techart wheel to go with it) and I have one touch mute and pause on my TT.

The PCM mute function is really dumb ... the purpose of a mute button is to quickly and easily kill the sound - (portable) phone call inbound, need to talk to someone, etc. - and having to first select the Audio button, then scroll to the mute button and press it, all while trying to drive is dumb dumb dumb. It's far easier to just roll the volume all the way to the left to mute the system.

XPA!

My thinking on this was, if I wanted PS4 in my car I wouldn't have bought a Porsche. That meant I wanted a wheel that had the minimum distractions, hence XPA.

I refuse to buy a nav system until someone designs one that's intuitive and properly voice activated. And no system currently on the market passes both criteria. Then I might consider a MF wheel. So until that happens I'm happy driving my car and occasionally turning on the radio when I get bored with listening to PSE.

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    The PCM mute function is really dumb ... the purpose of a mute button is to quickly and easily kill the sound - (portable) phone call inbound, need to talk to someone, etc. - and having to first select the Audio button, then scroll to the mute button and press it, all while trying to drive is dumb dumb dumb. It's far easier to just roll the volume all the way to the left to mute the system.

See? It is stuff like this which really ruins the "Porsche Excellence" claim for me. I could give you 20 examples of this kind of inexcusable BS that our cars possess.

Do you think they could have atleast improved the software by now and offered owners upgraded versions (for NAV and CD)? But noooooo. I'm still stuck with the awkwardness of the original software.

The car seems rushed into production with ragged ends that will be there for a long time.

Nevertheless, I still love the car have two of them now and have owned one in the past.

I just try to keep this nagging BS to myself and other Porsche fanatics who wish for the car's continual improvement.

Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    For a manual transmission Car.
    I'm trying to convince someone to ge tthe thicker steering wheel especially because its for a manual car. I think in a manual transmission the multi function has less of a function. Because your always reaching for the stick anyways. Please tell me about your experiences with each steering wheel and what you would recommend.
    Thanks

You may want to consider the Techart wheel. It is much thicker than the Porsche "thicker" wheel, which really isn't that much thicker than the standard wheel. The Techart wheel can give you some other options as well, such as carbon fiber, aluminum look, etc. Check out their web page.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753985 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431087 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258750 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255650 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79659 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868620 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802374 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM