Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Conny997:

The latest "Auto Bild" comparison between Turbo S, Nissan GT-R and Audi R8 V10 Plus. (Just in German)

http://youtu.be/UcPXApLqSnE

Don't understand the conclusion from the author: due to his claim the R8 is more a car for poser than a serious sportscar yes.

But this isn't my experience in the reality. Maybe he got a R8 in poor condition  

AutoBILD is quite weird: They reviewed in AutoBILD Sportscars the R8 and they loved it.

Now AutoBILD makes a comparison and it is for posers only. Smiley

Audi doesn't care (I said it before, their marketing department is doing a horrible job) and the various driving programs also seem to confuse reviewers (which cannot be an excuse of course).

I do not care anymore, I love my car (best sportscar I ever had) and the feedback from people around me is better than from any Porsche I had. Unfortunately also some bad stuff (middle fingers or whistles when I accelerate, even if I stick to the speed limit) from time to time but the positive experience dominates.

It is only interesting to learn how some serious sportscar enthusiasts are more brand focuses than I ever imagined but I shouldn't be surprised. Another problem is also the fact that Audi let the first gen R8 become some sort of a VW GTi of the sportscar world. You can get a first gen R8 for 60k and many drivers seem to have a specific taste of putting weird colored wraps and/or other third party stuff which just Looks hideous on such a car. I went to a local R8 meet in Munich recently and "fled" the scene after 10 minutes. Not wanting to sound arrogant but what these people did to their R8 first gen should be forbidden by law. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Goodwood Supercar FoS Hill Shootout...guess who won? indecision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhFcNl9Y-ZY (Audi R8 at 12:30)

The result list:

1 Audi R8 Coupe 51.00 (actually, it was a R8 V10 Plus Coupe)
    2 Nissan GT-R 52.68
    3 Porsche 911 Turbo S 53.31
    4 Lamborghini Aventador S 54.44
    5 Ford GT 54.54
    6 Noble M600 Speedster 54.73
    7 Rimac Concept S 54.89
    8 Aston Martin Vulcan AMR Pro 55.62
    9 Pagani Zonda 760RS 57.04
    10 Aston Martin Vantage AMR Pro 57.83
    11 Zenvo TSR 58.03
    12 Maserati GranTurismo 58.42
    13 Nissan BladeGlider 61.80

Race Cars for the Road
    1 BAC Mono 49.54
    2 Caterham Seven 620R 50.01
    3 Radical RXC Turbo 50.83

fos_17_dominicjames_0144.jpg

Driver was Chris Ward. He is apparently the workshop manager of JD Classics if I'm not mistaken, so no professional race car driver. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

everbody else did a dounut in between indecision

Or tried to smiley

BjoernB:

Of course... Smiley Smiley

Real world results are often different than what we read in car magazines. 

--

RC:
    BjoernB:

Of course... Smiley Smiley

Real world results are often different than what we read in car magazines. 

--

""Dounut in between"",, Smiley Smiley..

1st place, wow,  I am surprised. Didn't think it had the chassis to pull that off...Its a great result for Audi...Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

RC:

Goodwood Supercar FoS Hill Shootout...guess who won? indecision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhFcNl9Y-ZY (Audi R8 at 12:30)

The result list:

1 Audi R8 Coupe 51.00 (actually, it was a R8 V10 Plus Coupe)
    2 Nissan GT-R 52.68
    3 Porsche 911 Turbo S 53.31
    4 Lamborghini Aventador S 54.44
    5 Ford GT 54.54
    6 Noble M600 Speedster 54.73
    7 Rimac Concept S 54.89
    8 Aston Martin Vulcan AMR Pro 55.62
    9 Pagani Zonda 760RS 57.04
    10 Aston Martin Vantage AMR Pro 57.83
    11 Zenvo TSR 58.03
    12 Maserati GranTurismo 58.42
    13 Nissan BladeGlider 61.80

Race Cars for the Road
    1 BAC Mono 49.54
    2 Caterham Seven 620R 50.01
    3 Radical RXC Turbo 50.83

Driver was Chris Ward. He is apparently the workshop manager of JD Classics if I'm not mistaken, so no professional race car driver. 

--

Fake news... Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

No no - a aventador S and a Rimac with 1200hp are surely 4 seconds slower on a 50 second climb indecision

BjoernB:

No no - a aventador S and a Rimac with 1200hp are surely 4 seconds slower on a 50 second climb indecision

It is not a straight climb... Smiley

--

R8 was pedal to the metal while everyone else thought they were doing a parade lap.

noone1:

R8 was pedal to the metal while everyone else thought they were doing a parade lap.

Of course... Smiley

--

RC:
    noone1:

Of course... Smiley

you can´t take the Goodwood times serious. Lot of parade and show in between.

--

AM

Gauss:

Or tried to smiley

Smiley

Blueflame

Racing there always reminds me of Bruce McLaren. What a shame. Moment of silence in memory. 

ALDO:
    RC:
    noone1:

Of course... Smiley

you can´t take the Goodwood times serious. Lot of parade and show in between.

I guess the McLarens paraded and showed off most, right? Smiley

--

blueflame:
    Gauss:

Or tried to smiley

Smiley

Blueflame

Funny: Some people seem to be disappointed (YouTube comments) that the GT2 RS driver didn't do what the 991.2 GT3 driver did (basically probably shaving off half or more of his tire profile in a couple of seconds Smiley). I get the show off thing but this is just pointless.

--

Having two issues right now with my car, it is at the workshop:

1. At speeds around 200-240 kph, the ESP light comes on (flickering) without any particular reason (straight road, dry, warm temperatures, tire pressure OK) when I drive full throttle. I can also feel how the power drops a little bit, the ESP is definitely "working". It happens after around 30 km of driving, so when the engine/tires are warm.

I was able to reproduce this issue on my way to the dealership but unfortunately my mechanic turned off the engine (I specifically told him not to do that and to read out the ECU for errors) because he said that the latest errors are saved into the car's key(!). Now surprise, surprise...no errors, so now they have to check with Audi what is going on. Mechanics are not allowed to do more than 200 kph on the Autobahn in these cars (order from the general manager) and there was no ESP issue mentioned in the internal Audi information system. Will know more on Friday...hopefully.

2. The brakes make a loud "clanking" noise when driving slow and braking suddenly, especially when going in reverse (parking). Apparently this is a well known issue, there are new brake pads available. I will get new brake pads for free (they were due anyway, lucky me...) in the process, so this issue should be gone.

They gave me a R8 V10 Spyder loaner as a replacement for my R8 and since the weather is very nice over here in Bavaria (sunny, over 30°C), I really enjoy this car.

A few observations regarding the R8 V10 Spyder vs. the Coupe V10 Plus:

1. Power feel is very similar but the Plus version feels as if it has a bit more torque in every rev range and it feels as if it revs more free at higher rev figures (up to the red line).

2. Chassis feel is pretty similar to my Plus version but in tight turns, it lacks a certain rigidity/go-kart like feel. Probably related to the smaller diameter stabilizer bars on the non-Plus version.

3. Surprisingly, the V10 Plus Coupe sounds better (in my opinion) when both windows are open. Due to the nature of the Spyder, the sound is of course louder, especially at revs over 5000 rpm. Not by much though, what surprised me again. Overall, there is no justification to get the Spyder only because of the sound.

4. I managed to achieve a 30 l / 100 km fuel consumption on my way home (Autobahn, full throttle but not over 270 kph). Never saw more than 26 l / 100 km in my R8 Coupe, which is weird. Maybe related to worse aerodynamics? (I drove with an open top on the Autobahn).

5. Gearbox is a tiny bit slower than on the Plus model (Performance mode DRY, Plus model aggressively exchanges gears, it is amazing), a bit more "comfortable" (Performance mode DRY).

6. Compared to my 991.1 C4 GTS Cabriolet, the R8 V10 Spyder sucks regarding the open top experience. Yes, the R8 feels more raw with an open top, the air circulates around you inside the car and it feels very nice and exposed to nature but if you aren't bald and/or you have a girlfriend/wife with you in the car, forget about your hairstyle. There will be none, even after a short drive.  I tried everything: With the windows up, with he wind deflector up (does this thing have any effect???), no chance. At speeds over 50(!) kph, your hairstyle is gone. yes In my 991.1 C4 GTS Cabriolet, with the windows and the wind deflector up, you can drive at speeds up to 120 or even faster without having to worry about your hairstyle.

7. Rigidity of the Spyder is top notch, no chassis noises or similar stuff, the car feels rocksolid.

Conclusion: If you really like the Spyder, it is a very nice sportscar but you don't really need it. Unlike with other cars, the Coupe (with open windows) sounds as good as the Spyder, almost no difference.

I also like the Spyder non-Plus version because of that clean rear without rear wing but it is sad you cannot see the engine.

My dealer offered me the Spyder for 1200 EUR (incl. VAT) per month without down payment, amazing offer for this kind of car. It seems that the R8 still sells very slow but apparently Audi doesn't care.

Oh...the V6 Biturbo has been postponed apparently...for whatever reason.

--

Now who said there won't be an Audi R8 V10 Plus Spyder Smiley

Italo:

Now who said there won't be an Audi R8 V10 Plus Spyder Smiley

Who?

--

OK, dealer found the problem with the ESP system.

Solution: I need a new ECU software.

Reason: When the exhaust temperature passes 800°C at those speeds (200-240 kph) I mentioned, the ESP comes on.

Audi is aware of this problem (from internal R8 testing) but didn't have any customer complaints so far, so they didn't bother to fix it yet. Wonderful. yes

Once the update is available, I will get the new software. I just hope they won't mute my exhaust in the process. 

--

Uh-oh, so basically you will be the only one in the world with this update?!?
    That must be ahm... interesting... 

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

Oh boy...tough crowd here (where is that "sigh" smiley when I need it? Smiley Smiley)

No, they will fix the problem with a next ECU update for the R8 and use it on all new R8 from now on...and mine. That simple. There are sometimes specific VIN related ECU updates but I don't think that Audi Sport will bother to put a lot of work into it just for me. Smiley Especially since this ESP issue is not something people can ignore (if they actually experience it Smiley).

--

RC:
    Joost:

Oh boy...tough crowd here (where is that "sigh" smiley when I need it? Smiley Smiley)

Oh wait, found something better... 

d4df3c1fec8ab4f91c835962cd20c846--hello-weekend-happy-weekend.jpg

--

RC:

Audi is aware of this problem (from internal R8 testing) but didn't have any customer complaints so far, so they didn't bother to fix it yet. Wonderful. yes

Once the update is available, I will get the new software. I just hope they won't mute my exhaust in the process. 

If the fix kills the exhaust sound then all the R8 owners (that don't drive over 200kph) are going to come after you with pitchforks and torches now  Smiley tongue.png

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

noone1:

Yeah...certainly looks like a parade lap in the Turbo S Exclusive Series. Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m6vs8FtEqc

(hint: it made 3rd place)

Oh, it also sounds great... Smiley Smiley

Here are some comments about the sound:

2017-07-07_15-18-50.png

--

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

If the fix kills the exhaust sound then all the R8 owners (that don't drive over 200kph) are going to come after you with pitchforks and torches now  Smiley tongue.png

Smiley Smiley Smiley

There is a serious background to this: VW muted their VR6 with a software update without asking. Non-reversible according to them. Smiley

Audi at least asks if they mute the exhaust sound: The new RS3 has received complaints by customers that it is too loud  during start-up in the morning, so Audi muted the sound completely. Fortunately, this update is "at request" only (so far) and customers need to be OK with it.

There was also a rumor that some environmental groups in Germany have asked Audi, Porsche and others to mute their sports cars, so of course I am a little bit worried.

--

RC:

There was also a rumor that some environmental groups in Germany have asked Audi, Porsche and others to mute their sports cars, so of course I am a little bit worried.

If they mute the sound of my Boxster GTS without asking i would be a very unhappy bunny. Smiley but muting the sound of 718 would certainly improve it's appeal! Smiley I went to an event at my local Porsche Centre yesterday and it sounded like a Beetle rally with all the 718's going on test drives. Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

Smiley Smiley Smiley

There is a serious background to this: VW muted their VR6 with a software update without asking. Non-reversible according to them. Smiley

Audi at least asks if they mute the exhaust sound: The new RS3 has received complaints by customers that it is too loud  during start-up in the morning, so Audi muted the sound completely. Fortunately, this update is "at request" only (so far) and customers need to be OK with it.

And part of that environmental group are the same bunch polluting Hamburg.....mail

OK, here is an interesting fact: I was driving this beautiful R8 V10 Spyder over the weekend (my car was already read for pickup but dealer insisted because he needs mileage on the car to sell it and their sales people are not permitted to drive it, so how could I say no? indecision) and I noticed that this car has the ESP issue as well. It was pretty hot yesterday, around 34°C and I was driving the hell out of it (Autobahn mostly though). ESP came on between 200 and 240 kph, so definitely an issue Audi needs to address. 

IMG_4592.JPG

Here are some interesting findings compared to the V10 Plus Coupe (as a hint: I was really interested in the Spyder but kind of threw away the idea of getting one):

- Driving with an open top isn't really louder than driving the Coupe with both windows open. Maybe a tiny bit louder but definitely not even close to the difference between a 911 Coupe and 911 Cabriolet. Surprising. Also, the sound is a bit different than on my R8 (my R8 is MY 2016, while the Spyder is MY 2017), which could be related to the sound perception Coupe vs. Spyder though. I like the sound of my Coupe better because it sounds more like a trumpet. Another weird thing: The Spyder has those very aggressive and loud "spitting" sounds when releasing the throttle, my R8 Coupe barely makes them.

- There is a weird mechanical whirring noise at rev figures above 7000 rpm, a very annoying one. First, I didn't really notice it but my son complained about it and after that, I noticed it as well and I couldn't get it out of my head anymore. My R8 Coupe doesn't make this noise, so it may be related to the different engine cover, interior compartment separation (passenger room, engine bay) or whatever. Very very annoying but you actually only notice it when somebody points it out to you (my wife didn't notice it at first either but after I told her...). Not sure if there is something wrong with the car I drove but it isn't something development should have overlooked.

- The Spyder lacks the luggage room behind the seats. I can basically fit three carry on trolleys behind the rear seats of my Coupe, not such thing possible in the R8 Spyder. There is only an additional small "glove" compartment.

- The chassis setup is not as bad as claimed by Auto, Motor and Sport/Sport Auto in their reviews. It lacks a tiny bit the sharpness/precision of the R8 Coupe chassis but this doesn't have to be a bad thing. Still a very sporty setup and car has amazing handling, so a lot of fun to drive. 

- Power feel is similar to Coupe (which has 70 hp more), you won't notice much difference, especially not if you didn't have a direct comparison. The acceleration from standstill without(!) launch control isn't as aggressive as in the Coupe (different throttle setup I guess) and in the upper rev range, the engine seems to operate a little bit less freely than in the stronger Coupe. Otherwise, you won't feel slow or under-powered on the Autobahn or any other roads.

- Wind deflector in the R8 Spyder is basically pointless. No matter if the wind deflector is up or down, you won't feel any(!) difference. Why did they actually bother installing one? yes Also, even at speeds under 120 kph, your hairstyle  is gone, even if you raise the side windows (which make a tiny bit of difference but not by much). In my 991.1 GTS Cab, you can basically do 160 kph with the wind deflector and windows up and you won't feel much cold or wind inside the car. In the R8 Spyder, a storm starts breaking out inside the car at speeds over 60 kph, which is very pleasant when it is very hot outside but at speeds over 100-120 kph, you cannot have a basketball cap (or similar) because it simply flies away.  So you either drive fast without anything on your head (if you are bald, you are actually lucky this time) or you close the top. Pretty disappointing for such a car I have to say. Me and my wife sometimes drive my 911 GTS Cab at temperatures of around 13-15°C only and we don't feel cold inside the car. In the R8 Spyder, this would be impossible. Actually, at 34°C outside, I felt a bit chilly with all that wind/air flow going through the Spyder's interior. Seriously. Perfect convertible for Nevada or Arizona, maybe even Florida but not Germany I'm afraid. angry

Conclusion: I was seriously thinking of getting a R8 V10 Plus Spyder at some point but now? Not anymore. I like the Spyder a lot but this is not a car for me, too many downsides vs. my R8 Coupe, which is very surprising. 

Oh, everyone seems to love the color...camouflage green (but not matte!). The feedback from people was pretty positive most of the time, with the exception of a bicycle rider I passed (apparently the exhaust was too loud, so he felt annoyed when I passed him and accelerated afterwards).

--

RC:

Surprising. Also, the sound is a bit different than on my R8 (my R8 is MY 2016, while the Spyder is MY 2017), which could be related to the sound perception Coupe vs. Spyder though. I like the sound of my Coupe better because it sounds more like a trumpet. Another weird thing: The Spyder has those very aggressive and loud "spitting" sounds when releasing the throttle, my R8 Coupe barely makes them.

My friends R8 V10plus makes this spitting noise, too. You know, 27 of my friends got those cars and they all sound comparable. No difference between V10plus Coupe and R8 Spyder. 

- The Spyder lacks the luggage room behind the seats. I can basically fit three carry on trolleys behind the rear seats of my Coupe, not such thing possible in the R8 Spyder. There is only an additional small "glove" compartment.

Huge issue on the Spyder - my friends are saying that they cant even take the car for a weekend trip. 

- Power feel is similar to Coupe (which has 70 hp more), you won't notice much difference, especially not if you didn't have a direct comparison. The acceleration from standstill without(!) launch control isn't as aggressive as in the Coupe (different throttle setup I guess) and in the upper rev range, the engine seems to operate a little bit less freely than in the stronger Coupe. Otherwise, you won't feel slow or under-powered on the Autobahn or any other roads.

That surprises me. I would have expected a much stronger difference. Also - the weekend was very hot - maybe that was taking away already 5% of your HP?

On the other side - you hardly fee a difference between a 991 Carrera and a 991 Carrera S. Same there - when Rev'ing you feel it, but on the daily ride you hardly feel it. 

- Wind deflector in the R8 Spyder is basically pointless. 

Big bummer. Sometimes it is nice to run a convertible and have some relaxing moments where wind and noise goes down.

Conclusion: I was seriously thinking of getting a R8 V10 Plus Spyder at some point but now? Not anymore. I like the Spyder a lot but this is not a car for me, too many downsides vs. my R8 Coupe, which is very surprising. 

Like always - on those sunny days it is fun having a convertible. But if you compare sports cars one on one, the Coupe is always the better car. 

Oh, everyone seems to love the color...camouflage green (but not matte!).

Can you send more pictures of the color please. I was thinking of "if getting one" getting a Bundeswehr-green car. So, would be interesting to see this color.

Thanks for the summary!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690784 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410036 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256138 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235371 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858703 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775003 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM