Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

I have no active interest in acquiring the 2 RS but I do think it is a fully successful statement by Porsche for the model along the expected traditional goals of progression and evolution.  Which is what I believe most of the buyers for the car would expect, a Porsche by Porsche rather than a Ferrari or McLaren by Porsche. The car represents Porsche's concept of their ultimate expression not another marques. If that doesn't suit it does not follow that Porsche should deviate from what they believe they know and do best.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

On Fchat there is a production slot for sale... So much for Porsche controlling the speculators...

DaveC:

I have no active interest in acquiring the 2 RS but I do think it is a fully successful statement by Porsche for the model along the expected traditional goals of progression and evolution.  Which is what I believe most of the buyers for the car would expect, a Porsche by Porsche rather than a Ferrari or McLaren by Porsche. The car represents Porsche's concept of their ultimate expression not another marques. If that doesn't suit it does not follow that Porsche should deviate from what they believe they know and do best.

Tradition is a good thing but they need to adapt. Sooner or later, they will run out of luck...or traditionalists. Or both. Smiley

We are a tough crowd here, criticizing a 700 hp 911 but we all mean well and we all would probably love to drive one. 

The thing is: The competition started to be as strong as never before (in my humble opinion), so... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

SciFrog:

On Fchat there is a production slot for sale... So much for Porsche controlling the speculators...

Not even sure they want. Dealer told me that the one year holding period and those regional restrictions plus the binding contract to register the car, etc. is not something coming from Porsche but from the general management of the dealership. Smiley Yes, Porsche will probably look into who orders the car and from what dealership from and they need to green light the production slots but in the end, I am pretty sure that cars will make it to speculators again.

Unless of course they do what they do with the 991.1 GT3 RS: Whoever wants one... Truth is (at least in Germany): Every single customer who wanted one, got one. With some minor exceptions maybe.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

nberry:

But driving a RWD light weight 700 hp car on public streets is to quote Walliser insane. It would be like fitting a suit on jello.

From last week, GLE 63 Coupe with 560 hp ~ 585 hp and overweight + AWD Smiley

Not overweight any longer. 

RC:
    Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:
    nberry:

Though I do not disagree, it's probably the stupidest reason to buy one. At the end of the day, this car will not get a lot of track mileage and more than likely become a garage queen. It will be an investment provided Porsche cooperates and produces a limited number.

It is safe on he street if you use your turn signals. Otherwise any car is just way too dangerous. In your hands

And yet again with then turn signals and Nick, you are a bitter bitter man, you really can't let go, sad way to live...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

That is your perception. Lol. Everyone can make jokes around here but me. Ask yourself if it is you who is bitter?  Lighten up. 

People can only make fun of me around here, haven't you learned it yet? Smiley

I agree with Carlos though...no need to ridicule Nick, you can do better.

It was a joke. Geeez. Unless it is a sore point.  Signaling saves lives and on this forum we should be able to at least agree on that. There is never an excuse to not signal. AND it was a joke meant in good humor. 

Tgif and cheers

TB993tt:
    nberry:

A car should be exciting to drive. The .2RS lacks a quality exhaust sound and with 700hp unmanageable for street driving and only a few can manage it on a track. What's the point of the car other than Porsche's answer to other super sport cars? I don't get it. yes

Should you even be on a Porsche forum, the way you go on you should be driving a nice comfy merc cab........

SmileySmiley

I wanted to write something along that line too... but decided to not mention the obvious once again Smiley

Cheers Nick, thanks for keeping it real SmileySmiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

I have an Austrian turned US citizen accusing me of being an unsave driver and UK member claiming I am too safe of a driver. yes

To my UK friend,  I lived with high performance cars before they were even popular. The one thing I learned is owning one doesn't make my penis any larger. Anyone who would take a TT and modify it to 800hp has serious image problems.

To my Austrian friend, when you have nothing, throwing stones at those that do is nothing more than envy. Instead of attacking those that have, earn yourself a seat at the table. That's the way it is done in the US.

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Nick. I do consider you a friend. No hard feelings I hope. My seat at the Porsche table is well established. Since I was 15 years old. Envy is not my thing and I am certainly not competing against you or the other Nick. My money goes mostly into my kids grad school. Was in Portland last weekend buying my younger daughter a house while she goes to Lewis in Clark for the next three years. Unlike her peers she spends her Friday and Saturday nights volunteering on the national suicide prevention hot line until dawn. I am very proud of her. If I envy anyone it is people like her. I am happy for you and hope that you keep signaling just to be safe. Wishing you only a safe journey. 

Cheers

TB993tt:
    nberry:

We should all be celebrating that Porsche is producing these beasts for us to play with, I think the new RS is fantastic and whilst there is no way I will be offered one in the first production I am hoping that there is a lack of speculator price inflation which may dampen demand for the later production run and allow a real owner like me to be able to buy one Smiley

Toby, I thought with the history you have with porsche, you'll get the first batch. Any update of your driving impressions of TT?

GT2 RS is selling very strongly in Switzerland. My dealer sold already 17 , the dealer in the next city sold 32. 

They have no info on real allocations. 

Only 12 month ( !!!!)  leasing possible, at 4.4% . Not possible to buy it back before. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Now boys. Let's play nice. I am not very active on here but have owned over 25 Porsches since my first in 1979. I've never had a version of the GT3 but have owned a 997 GT2RS, a 997 GT2, a 928, every Turbo since 993, a few Boxsters (wife) and a bunch of 911s. Presently have a '15 Turbo S cab (wife) & a '15 Cayenne Turbo. All new from same dealer except the GT2, GT2RS & 993 Turbo. Not braggin' just say'in. Due to my history my dealer & his rep said I should get a car. I don't track and no way will I use 50% of the car's capabilities. Also my dealer KNOWS I won't flip the car. Why do I want a car that has the GT2RS capabilities!! Ego. Just want the latest, greatest and obviously love Porsches. As others have said, my dealer said he had to turn in a list of people who want the car so Porsche could gauge interest to determine how many to build. Definitely not a limited production car and Porsche can't just call "Hoods R Us" and order 8 more carbon fiber hoods.

--
    Duffy

Leawood911:

Nick. I do consider you a friend. No hard feelings I hope. My seat at the Porsche table is well established. Since I was 15 years old. Envy is not my thing and I am certainly not competing against you or the other Nick. My money goes mostly into my kids grad school. Was in Portland last weekend buying my younger daughter a house while she goes to Lewis in Clark for the next three years. Unlike her peers she spends her Friday and Saturday nights volunteering on the national suicide prevention hot line until dawn. I am very proud of her. If I envy anyone it is people like her. I am happy for you and hope that you keep signaling just to be safe. Wishing you only a safe journey. 

Cheers

You're spending your money well and I salute you for doing what your doing. That said and I write this with the best of intentions, your posts do not reflect the intelligence I suspect you possess. If you are taking a similar approach in life, your under achieving. 

Now back to cars.

--

Why?

For ham fisted idiots, yes, you are right, the same cretins who kill themselves in a widow maker also get in trouble with any performance car.

700 or 1000 hp makes no difference if you are aware of it and don' t act stupid with it but respect that capability and use it judiciously.

I don't get it: shouldn't we wait on the first drives before we call this car too fast for the road? 

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

nberry:

To my UK friend,  I lived with high performance cars before they were even popular. The one thing I learned is owning one doesn't make my penis any larger. Anyone who would take a TT and modify it to 800hp has serious image problems.

For you to think someone driving 800hp Porsche has to have "image problems" maybe says more about you, none of my friends are into cars at all and those that are like the flashiest newest stuff, noone knows I am sitting on 800hp it is there for ME to play with when there is an empty straight where I can have my own fairground ride. I have driven 911s with north of 800NM for 20 years and it gives me a buzz waking up knowing I am getting to play again.

OK I admit it has been fun over the years rocking up to the vmax event watching the big dogs with their latest and greatest hypercars strutting round the paddock then reeling indisbelief that they get beaten by an old ordinary looking 911 - this is fun Smiley

Nick, I noticed you (la Jolla) on Rennlist user number 1172 which means you have been there since the beginning (of car forums - RL are up to 189K now) I think you may need to give yourself a reboot about driving, there are lots of places in the world where one can play safely on public roads with this new GT2RS, it is not unduly scary with 750NM we should be rejoicing that Porsche have made it available for us Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

martini964:

Toby, I thought with the history you have with porsche, you'll get the first batch. Any update of your driving impressions of TT?

Because I have only really driven two 911s in the last 20 years my buying history is not good in addition to 993 turbo and 997GT2 there is only a Cayenne and the 991 ttS, I've spent fortunes in Porsche parts but they don't count Smiley

Like I say I am hopeful of a possible later batch slot if Porsche are true to their word but the UK market seems even tighter than other countries, I have had the obligatory LOI (letter of intent) lodged with my dealer since we first mooted the 2RS on RL in Jan 2014 but I was told very recently that it is the Directors of the Porsche dealers' parent company who decide where they go (my local dealer is part of £120M group selling all sorts of brands) and I cynically suspect that because of the overs market in the UK there will be brown paper bag deals going on.....

Impression of the TTS on the other thread.

--

does anyone know how the GT2RS rides on the road, say in the UK, where road surface is typically less than perfect? 

Leawood911:
    It was a joke. Geeez. Unless it is a sore point.  Signaling saves lives and on this forum we should be able to at least agree on that. There is never an excuse to not signal. AND it was a joke meant in good humor. 

Tgif and cheers

Leawood : You need to start using smileys to make yourself more clear . It is very difficult to grasp what is humour, sarcasm, or attacks coming from you .  

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

absent:

Why?

For ham fisted idiots, yes, you are right, the same cretins who kill themselves in a widow maker also get in trouble with any performance car.

700 or 1000 hp makes no difference if you are aware of it and don' t act stupid with it but respect that capability and use it judiciously.

I would agree with you but unfortunately some drivers drive a 400 hp car pretty safely but double the power? Not anymore. Some people can adapt, others can't and a 2WD car with lots of power certainly requires the same restraint as one with AWD but the latter is easier to drive...until that moment when some people try to beat physics (which of course isn't possible). Smiley I learned that (almost) the hard way when I was young (20, drove a Lancia Delta HF Integrale, was actually a trained rally driver at that time and should have known better) and slid(!) over all four(!) wheels into a field because I apparently thought that AWD can beat physics. Smiley We had to lower the tire pressure to remove that grass which got stuck between the rims and the tires, no kidding. Huge impact! Just imagine a tree there...I would be dead.

Since that time, I am even more careful in an AWD car but I have to admit that the better traction is pretty convenient in certain situations (like accelerating out of curves or in rain).

--

I don't understand the talk about 'too much power'. It all comes down to the driver. If you did not have a certain amount of self-restraint when committing in a peugeot 205 gti, you will not have it in a GT2RS either. And between those 2 there is 570hp difference.

--

M3 CSL / Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Touring / GT3RS Kermit

Bacchus:

I don't understand the talk about 'too much power'. It all comes down to the driver. If you did not have a certain amount of self-restraint when committing in a peugeot 205 gti, you will not have it in a GT2RS either. And between those 2 there is 570hp difference.

Very true but again, AWD cars have some advantages over 2WD cars, at least up to the point where AWD seems to beat physics but it doesn't (we all know what happens then... Smiley).

This reminds me a little bit of the Carrera GT safety discussion. Yes, dangerous car if driven hard by amateurs but not a dangerous car per design in my opinion. The 918 is a different beast here (AWD) but of course you can mess up things even with AWD in a car with close to 900 hp. Smiley

--

RC:
    Bacchus:

Very true but again, AWD cars have some advantages over 2WD cars, at least up to the point where AWD seems to beat physics but it doesn't (we all know what happens then... Smiley).

This reminds me a little bit of the Carrera GT safety discussion. Yes, dangerous car if driven hard by amateurs but not a dangerous car per design in my opinion. The 918 is a different beast here (AWD) but of course you can mess up things even with AWD in a car with close to 900 hp. Smiley

Surely we all know this "too much power line" is complete bullshit I've just driven my 900NM/800hp RWD 997GT2 30 miles to work this morning in torrential rain on Cup 2s, there was 4 or more centimeters of standing water on the motoroway at some points. Guess what I drove to the conditions and was 100% safe.....FFS this is a forum of experienced drivers lets cut this too much power crap Smiley

--

Surely we all know this "too much power line" is complete bullshit I've just driven my 900NM/800hp RWD 997GT2 30 miles to work this morning in torrential rain on Cup 2s, there was 4 or more centimeters of standing water on the motoroway at some points. Guess what I drove to the conditions and was 100% safe.....FFS this is a forum of experienced drivers lets cut this too much power crap Smiley

i got caught in torrential rain a few weeks ago on the highway between the austrian border and udine, drove according to conditions, felt very safe in my GT3RS 991 but was overtaken by some fiats with very thin tires. but then so what? if i can't stand that then i should apply for a mental teenager status:::))))

TB993tt:
    RC:
    Bacchus:

--

Precisely. Good call. And we all know traffic laws as well in order to keep those around us informed of our pending actions. 

Gnil:
    Leawood911:

Tgif and cheers

Leawood : You need to start using smileys to make yourself more clear . It is very difficult to grasp what is humour, sarcasm, or attacks coming from you .  

Smiley Agreed. Actually, this could be said about many users here. Use smileys, guys...otherwise posts could be misunderstood. Just as a hint: No smiley means...serious. 

Or for god's sake we finally have to meet, so we actually know who we are dealing with. Much more fun anyway. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    absent:

Why?

I would agree with you but unfortunately some drivers drive a 400 hp car pretty safely but double the power? Not anymore. Some people can adapt, others can't and a 2WD car with lots of power certainly requires the same restraint as one with AWD but the latter is easier to drive...until that moment when some people try to beat physics (which of course isn't possible). Smiley I learned that (almost) the hard way when I was young (20, drove a Lancia Delta HF Integrale, was actually a trained rally driver at that time and should have known better) and slid(!) over all four(!) wheels into a field because I apparently thought that AWD can beat physics. Smiley We had to lower the tire pressure to remove that grass which got stuck between the rims and the tires, no kidding. Huge impact! Just imagine a tree there...I would be dead.

Since that time, I am even more careful in an AWD car but I have to admit that the better traction is pretty convenient in certain situations (like accelerating out of curves or in rain).

--

You just confirmed my point, it is up to the driver, lack of respect for physics and unjustified confidence will kill you regardless if you have 800 or 200HP.

Let's be honest too, today's 600-800HP cars are safer to drive (even for idiots) then any car before electronic aids were introduced (unless they are some of the geniuses turning them off to impress people with their "drifting skills",like so many do it on various cars and coffee shows in US).

Hmm, driving a 700-800hp car is as safe as driving a 200-300hp car. This kind of thinking gets people killed. 

Seriously, if you going to drive the speed limit with a700or higher hp car, what's the point of the additional hp? The problem with very high hp cars is between the incredible acceleration while trying to keep the car stable much can happen especially on public roads. A fraction of a second can be the difference of a driver killing himself or killing someone. The difference in performance between a 500hp car and 700 can be dramatic especially if the weight close to the same.Driver skill is helpful but not determinative of whether you end up in the weeds.

So please those of you that claim that high hp is as safe as small hp, don't insult the intelligence of those that participate here. If you want to believe your bullshit, fine. Don't waste bandwidth trying to convince others.

--

nberry:

Hmm, driving a 700-800hp car is as safe as driving a 200-300hp car. This kind of thinking gets people killed. 

I agree. It had to do something with the driver though, this is what we agreed upon. Everyone started small, my first car had 115 hp, my second one 75 hp. Smiley 

Seriously, if you going to drive the speed limit with a700or higher hp car, what's the point of the additional hp? The problem with very high hp cars is between the incredible acceleration while trying to keep the car stable much can happen especially on public roads. A fraction of a second can be the difference of a driver killing himself or killing someone. The difference in performance between a 500hp car and 700 can be dramatic especially if the weight close to the same.Driver skill is helpful but not determinative of whether you end up in the weeds.

There are tons of YouTube videos proving your point. SmileyWhen morons fully accelerate when they take a turn or enter a road without realizing that they are not Ken Block. Smiley

So please those of you that claim that high hp is as safe as small hp, don't insult the intelligence of those that participate here. If you want to believe your bullshit, fine. Don't waste bandwidth trying to convince others.

I think what we agreed upon was that experienced drivers with powerful high performance cars have no issues driving a 800 hp at least as safe as a 400 hp car. I would never let my son drive my R8 when he gets his driver's license and I even decided that the Mini JCW is overkill for my daughter (she is getting her license next year), which I think was a wise decision. It always comes down to the driver and the experience/skills. Some drivers have skills but no experience, which could add to the risk (experience is worth a lot...never believed my father when he told me when he was my current age). Experienced but not so skilled drivers usually know they limits quite well.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM