Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

RC:

Best example: We drove in a group through a city in Austria. Front car was a Turbo S. At a stop light, after it turned green, he fully accelerated (and way beyond the speed limit of 50 kph in that town). I was behind him and accelerated as well up to 50 or 55 kph Smiley and immediately received my usual middle finger and fist in the air from a young woman and an older guy. Smiley OK, group driving is always a bit provoking but that Turbo S guy was doing at least 80 when he put the foot on his brakes. Nobody cared. Best car to drive fast without being noticed. Smiley Smiley

You are talking about a 991.1 Turbo S here - right ?

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

Oh, I can understand why some people would prefer a quiet exhaust, even if it's a sportscar like a Turbo, nothing wing with that, to each his own, just that is not going to be the majority of the custoners worldwide nor the reason the Turbo sounds so quiet, is not deliberate, is because they couldn't give it the normal sound of a 911.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

TB993tt:
    RC:

Best example: We drove in a group through a city in Austria. Front car was a Turbo S. At a stop light, after it turned green, he fully accelerated (and way beyond the speed limit of 50 kph in that town). I was behind him and accelerated as well up to 50 or 55 kph Smiley and immediately received my usual middle finger and fist in the air from a young woman and an older guy. Smiley OK, group driving is always a bit provoking but that Turbo S guy was doing at least 80 when he put the foot on his brakes. Nobody cared. Best car to drive fast without being noticed. Smiley Smiley

You are talking about a 991.1 Turbo S here - right ?

Nope, 991.2 Turbo S. Coupe. Not much difference (if any) in sound to the 991.1 version though.

It is interesting however that on the Autobahn, when that guy passed me full throttle (I noticed this on the 991.1 model as well) at around 220 kph (I was going much slower, around 140 kph, because I was looking for a navigation location with my son), it sounded pretty loud. Still like a vacuum cleaner (wooshhhh) but very loud.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Today I drove behind a brand new TTS and I turned my radio off to listen to the exhaust. What I heard was NOTHING! Hell, my Targa was louder. Also, when I drove alongside and then in front of it, the front end looked like any other 911 and this car cost over $230,000!heart

I agree, the Turbo S sounds like crap but I never believed Porsche when they said this is what customers want...until Markus told me and many other Turbo/S owners I met. They seem to be perfectly happy with the sound, so I guess I know now why I moved on. Smiley Smiley

Absolutely - love how the car sounds. The 488 sounds good as well. And the 720s as well. Different sounds - all nice Smiley

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

I agree, the Turbo S sounds like crap but I never believed Porsche when they said this is what customers want...until Markus told me and many other Turbo/S owners I met. They seem to be perfectly happy with the sound, so I guess I know now why I moved on. Smiley Smiley

Still, I don't think the lack of sound on a sportscar like the Turbo was on purpose for that reason, they simply werent able to make it better due to the VTG and used the fact that "some" customers prefer a lack of sound as an excuse, otherwise they would of simply used flaps for on / off sound and satisfy all customers.

The previous generation of turbos (996, 997) did not sound different, BTW...

MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

Still, I don't think the lack of sound on a sportscar like the Turbo was on purpose for that reason, they simply werent able to make it better due to the VTG and used the fact that "some" customers prefer a lack of sound as an excuse, otherwise they would of simply used flaps for on / off sound and satisfy all customers.

True...unfortunately. Oh wait, the 996 Turbo sounded a bit better, I think.

Both of my cars were retrofitted with Cargraphic exhausts though, so they were brutally loud and sounded good. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

True, all are turbos, but they have gotten a bit more quiet from 966 to 997 to 991 IMO. Some will love it and some will hate it, unfortunately on the Turbo, you cant choose which sound you want like on a Carrera.

--

Greatest GT2 RS disappointment for me is the fact that they didn't bother to develop a new engine based on the GT models for example. When I asked why the 991.1 Turbo S got 560 hp only (when the 488 started with 670 hp), the reply was always: "Well, this engine is good for 600 hp only...". Now suddenly it is good for 700 hp?  I get it, they tweaked it, thermodynamics have been improved, bla bla bla, new water injection cooling...bla bla bla but honestly, I am not amazed, sorry. Especially not for a +300k car.

--

MKSGR:
    RC:
    Today I drove behind a brand new TTS and I turned my radio off to listen to the exhaust. What I heard was NOTHING! Hell, my Targa was louder. Also, when I drove alongside and then in front of it, the front end looked like any other 911 and this car cost over $230,000!heart

Absolutely - love how the car sounds. The 488 sounds good as well. And the 720s as well. Different sounds - all nice Smiley

dyson vs. vorwerk.

pmarkow:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

dyson vs. vorwerk.

Smiley Smiley

Actually, the 488 doesn't sound as bad as the 911 Turbo S, neither does the 720S. The 488 sounds better than the McLaren though, much better in my opinion.

--

MKSGR:
    RC:

I agree with this, when the 991.2 Turbo S has the switch turned to nutter mode is does sound fabulous inside the cabin, a mixture of mega induction, some rorty exhaust, and presumably piped faked music noises as well Smiley, but sounds manic..... from the outside who really cares ? I know when I do my tunnel drive through test in the 991 Turbo S with all the windows down, nutter mode full throttle revving out to 7 in second/third it sounds like Armageddon. Makes me wonder what some of you guys want, are you wanting more sound for the posing to others outside the car ? Surely that is the only benefit of an overtly loud exhaust ? 

--

RC:

Greatest GT2 RS disappointment for me is the fact that they didn't bother to develop a new engine based on the GT models for example. When I asked why the 991.1 Turbo S got 560 hp only (when the 488 started with 670 hp), the reply was always: "Well, this engine is good for 600 hp only...". Now suddenly it is good for 700 hp?  I get it, they tweaked it, thermodynamics have been improved, bla bla bla, new water injection cooling...bla bla bla but honestly, I am not amazed, sorry. Especially not for a +300k car.

Yeah you are right on this, we discussed all sorts of exciting stuff at the beginning of the thread and expected some sort of GT3 evolved engine with special lag reducing systems and we got a hotted up 997 Turbo motor from what we can see so far and the torque being limited to 750NM is the sign of the engines strength limitations.... having said all that one can't really complain about the performance numbers, this thing does the business. 

--

TB993tt:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

I agree with this, when the 991.2 Turbo S has the switch turned to nutter mode is does sound fabulous inside the cabin, a mixture of mega induction, some rorty exhaust, and presumably piped faked music noises as well Smiley, but sounds manic..... from the outside who really cares ? I know when I do my tunnel drive through test in the 991 Turbo S with all the windows down, nutter mode full throttle revving out to 7 in second/third it sounds like Armageddon. Makes me wonder what some of you guys want, are you wanting more sound for the posing to others outside the car ? Surely that is the only benefit of an overtly loud exhaust ? 

--

In a tunnel, even a Tesla may sound like that. Smiley

My R8 sounds that way all the time and even at slow speeds. Smiley The 911 Turbo S exhaust is not quiet at higher rev figures but it just sounds crappy, like a vacuum cleaner. Also, it isn't only about loudness, it is about sound and not every sound sounds good.

--

I for one don't care about how it sounds in a tunnel... and in city driving where other people can hear the exhaust I simply turn the exhaust off, but when I'm driving on the open road in a sportscar, I want the high quality sportcar sound as part of the exerience, not a big engined sedan sound. Like Christian said, it is not about being loud, out course it can't be quiet otherwise your hear nothing, but is the quality of the sound too. Its like the experience of hearing a song over the radio or being your favorite song live in front of the band, completely different experience. 

--

RC:

Hopefully it is reliable... This water injection is a bit weird indeed...

TB993tt:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

--

Smiley

RC:
    TB993tt:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

--

My R8 sounds that way all the time and even at slow speeds. Smiley The 911 Turbo S exhaust is not quiet at higher rev figures but it just sounds crappy, like a vacuum cleaner. Also, it isn't only about loudness, it is about sound and not every sound sounds good.

Tesla sounds best in the very moment the batteries explode Smiley

Carlos from Spain:

I for one don't care about how it sounds in a tunnel... and in city driving where other people can hear the exhaust I simply turn the exhaust off, but when I'm driving on the open road in a sportscar, I want the high quality sportcar sound as part of the exerience, not a big engined sedan sound. Like Christian said, it is not about being loud, out course it can't be quiet otherwise your hear nothing, but is the quality of the sound too. Its like the experience of hearing a song over the radio or being your favorite song live in front of the band, completely different experience. 

There is a motorway bridge near me about 35m  with a nice straight approach and exit and it has been tradition for me with kids in the car to drop the windows and give it full beans through the tunnel, in my 993 and GT2 up to the age of 4 or 5 the child goes through horror and tears but egged on by an older sibling they get through this and end up asking if we can divert to the tunnel when we are out and about.  My normally sarcastic 16 yo daughter still admits to getting a "surge" out of the blast through the tunnel....... All very childish (but not particularly dangerous in my estimation) but a source of unique fun for my family.... the 991 passes the tunnel test but as has been inferred it may be down to the energy of near 600hp rather than an exhaust note Smiley

--

Good story kiss ... the best I heard in a tunnel was durig a group drive, a 996GT3RS with Cup exhaust system in front of me WOT in the tunnel... I think my hearing has not been quite the same since indecision

--

Carlos from Spain:

Good story kiss ... the best I heard in a tunnel was durig a group drive, a 996GT3RS with Cup exhaust system in front of me WOT in the tunnel... I think my hearing has not been quite the same since indecision

Smiley I know what you mean !

Another little tunnel anecdote, there is a long tunnel which goes under a couple of runways at Manchester Airport near me, Ronaldo (the footballer) crashed his Ferrari into the side when presumably enjoying the noise ! Anyway I don't usually speed through the tunnel as there is traffic and a limit and can be damp etc but this one time I was nearing the exit and gave it the beans and like you describe above my 997GT2 can sound REALLY loud, as I exited the tunnel I was easing off and to my horror there was a Police car at the side of the road with two officers having a word with a car they had stopped.......My heart nearly stopped, I thought OMG they are going to throw the book at me but funnily they didn't even look at me and as I was slowing and cruised past they completely ignored me ! It was when I looked behind and saw in the air some monstrous Russian transport plane (the one with loads of engines) had just taken off and it must have drowned out all other sounds including mine - thankyou my Russian friends Smiley 

--

Carlos from Spain:

Tell me about it...we had to listen to a 15 minute lecture from an Austrian police officer why we shouldn't do that... Smiley Smiley (no ticket though).

--

RC:

exactly. it is the quality of the sound, not the decibel (only). the deep mechanical grumbling noise .....

A wild ride in the new Porsche 911 GT2 RS...

Preuninger is crystal clear on the GT2 RS remit. ‘We wanted to make a really explosive turbo engine because that can be fun,’ he says, apparently ignorant of the trend for decrying turbo engines and their blunted throttle response. ‘When you make a turbocharged engine that explodes at higher revs that can be really entertaining. On this car there is a lot of emotional components, because the sound is really like a 930 from the 1980s. I really wanted it to sound a lot different than other Turbo models, more sporty and more like the turbo era of the race cars.’ -- Andreas Preuninger

Link: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/porsche/porsche-911-gt2-rs-2017-review/

Strange looking car Smiley This multi-color design is kind of ugly Smiley

It's especially the lower apron of the rear bumper. I think it would look infinitely better if that were painted to match the rest of the body color.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

I love it indecision

BjoernB:

I love it indecision

Smiley Actually, it looks quite good in these pictures but I do not believe a word Preuninger said about wanting an "explosive turbo engine". This sounds like an excuse, not a development goal. Smiley Sorry to say that.

--

RC:
    BjoernB:

I love it indecision

Smiley Actually, it looks quite good in these pictures but I do not believe a word Preuninger said about wanting an "explosive turbo engine". This sounds like an excuse, not a development goal. Smiley Sorry to say that.

Yeah, we have a term for that: MBS Marketing Bull Sh!t

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

All the info and videos up to now, shows that it will be strangely explosive, so I believe him 100%.

Let's see...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661293 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400959 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254567 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229015 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59367 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4374 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853332 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761451 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM