Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Slow tire pressure leak

I got a very slow leak on the rear passenger side tire. Kind of leak 5 - 6 lb per two weeks. Vasually check the tire and do not seems that there is any neil. Could it be the tire valve have a slow leak. Anyone have this experience. Mine is a 06 c2. Thanks.

Re: Slow tire pressure leak

I would take it to a tire shop and have them check it. Could be the value but you never know. You could take the tire off and put it in a big tub of water and see where the leak is coming from. Well that is if you have a tub big enough to fit the entire tire in.

I am taking mine in for the oil service. Maybe I ask them to look at the tire for me. Just want to find out to see whether valve leak is a common issue.

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    I am taking mine in for the oil service. Maybe I ask them to look at the tire for me. Just want to find out to see whether valve leak is a common issue.

I would think a value leak does happen. Hopefully that is the case as replacing the value would be a lot cheaper then replacing the tire. Good luck.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I would take it to a tire shop and have them check it. Could be the value but you never know. You could take the tire off and put it in a big tub of water and see where the leak is coming from. Well that is if you have a tub big enough to fit the entire tire in.

Agree 100%.

Clean and scrub the tire and put in in your bathtub.

Spray soapy water onto the valve to see if it's the culprit, if so, replace the valve core and then see what happens.

My guess is you have a classic nail puncture somewhere with the nail plugging the hole 95%. Bath tub or careful examination with soapy water from a spray bottle will find it.

295 is a very huge tire to put in the bathtub. However, will do my oil service the coming week and will have the dealer to check it out. Hopefully, I don't need a new tire. It still look brand new. Wish me luck.

I guess valve stem leak is not a common issue. No one have that problem?????

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    I guess valve stem leak is not a common issue. No one have that problem?????

It doesn't even need to be a leak between the valve stem and the bore in the wheel rim. I've seen a slow loss of air resulting from a valve core not being tightly screwed into the valve stem.

It should be pretty easy to check for a leaking valve yourself by removing valve cap and dripping liquid soap dissolved in water onto it and watching for air bubbles.

fritz, I have try to spray soappy water to the valve steam and does not seem to find bubble. On the other hand, did not find any neil on the tire.

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    fritz, I have try to spray soappy water to the valve steam and does not seem to find bubble. On the other hand, did not find any neil on the tire.

Time to start running water into your bathtub!

Best left to your tire shop, though. They surely do this test regularly and are equipped for it.

I guess I need to left this to the dealer when I bring it in for the oil service next week.

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    I guess I need to left this to the dealer when I bring it in for the oil service next week.

Bring to dealer. I brought my (brand new) M3 flat to local tire shop (big regional chainstore). Personally discussed with manager about not scratching my wheel when repairing puncture. He reassures me; says "no problem with our equipment."

Guess what? I get tire back and the wheel is seriously scratched.

Bring to dealer and then you get no problems or else you can, more easily, "make" them fix damage like that.

MMD, that is what I have in mind. However, I don't know whether the dealer will repair flat????

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    MMD, that is what I have in mind. However, I don't know whether the dealer will repair flat????

Don't let them give you any sheet. If it is a simple and basic nail puncture TELL them to repair it.

Here's the/my reasoning: sustained high speed travel on patched tires would be a hazard. That's why Porsche refuses to patch tires in Germany.

Here in the US, going 80-90, though sustained, is not considered high speed travel.

I'd not have any problems with a properly-patched simple-nail-hole-repair for driving like I do in the USA.

I WOULD have a problem with such a patched tire at routine, sustained, Autobahn speeds of 120, 130 or above; especially on hot days. The energies involved that effect the tire are huge at those speeds. Not as bad at 80-90mph.

THAT's how Porsche USA dealerships try to sell you a new set of tires... . (you gotta buy two if the one getting replaced has significant wear due to mileage). They're relying on the Autobahn model to justify their actions.

I would think there is a "high end" tire shop around that would patch it correctly. Like MMD I would think "normalk" US driving would be OK.

BTW, you can bring just the tire to a high-end tire shop like Tire Rack. See who your local Porsche club recommends. No need to leave the car and all the logistics involved with that.

In the San Francisco area there are dozens of tire shops equipped to handle your type of wheel without damaging it. Furthermore, they'll probably fix it for free while you wait. Short of contacting local Porsche club members for recommendations you could look in the yellow pages for a specialty shop near you. Look for a place that sells high end expensive wheels. They could either fix it or recommend a shop specializing in these sorts of wheels. Definitely stay away from the Sears, Firestone, Goodyear, etc. stores as this wheel/tire combination isn't in their repertoire. Just be sure that the place you do go to understands you love your wheel more than you love your wife and that you'll not tolerate any damage.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    Just be sure that the place you do go to understands you love your wheel more than you love your wife and that you'll not tolerate any damage.

WOW Now it is just a wheel that can be replaced if needed. No need to go over board

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Stephenkng said:

Best left to your tire shop, though. They surely do this test regularly and are equipped for it.

Good point, Fritz. Last week I used the valve stem wrench to tighten all the valves. Two of the four valves were not fully tightened. While I had not been experiencing significant loss of air pressure, the ones I tightened had been giving me a minor problem with air loss.

Jim

Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Stephenkng said:

Good point, Fritz. Last week I used the valve stem wrench to tighten all the valves. Two of the four valves were not fully tightened. While I had not been experiencing significant loss of air pressure, the ones I tightened had been giving me a minor problem with air loss.

Jim

Hmmm, now you mention it, I think I'll check the tightness of my own valve stems next time I add some air to the tires.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    Just be sure that the place you do go to understands you love your wheel more than you love your wife and that you'll not tolerate any damage.

WOW Now it is just a wheel that can be replaced if needed. No need to go over board

Hey, wait a minute. I thought wives are replaceable too.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM