Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Suggestions on a good jack for the 997?

I know I can use the emergency one supplied by Porsche, but what about a good jack I can just keep in my garage?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Suggestions on a good jack for the 997?

This is the best

http://www.ultimategarage.com/hmach.html

great jack - thanks

I have the DK13HLQ and LOVE it....I'll never go with anything else! I also have the padded jackstands too.

Quote:
    Barrett said:
    I know I can use the emergency one supplied by Porsche, but what about a good jack I can just keep in my garage?

What emergency jack supplied by Porsche? I think if you check you will find that not only do you not have a spare tire, you also don't have a lug wrench or a jack.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:

What emergency jack supplied by Porsche? I think if you check you will find that not only do you not have a spare tire, you also don't have a lug wrench or a jack.

Phil

You're exactly right. I was thinking of my 996 and my girlfriend's 986.

Porsche supplied jack for 996 part number:

P/N 996-721-211-00 Scissors Jack

Why not just get one and keep it in car? Mine's a real pleasure to behold (nice hunk of well-machined and mfgred aluminum alloy).

For a garage jack you can buy an apparently-too-cheap chinese-made unit at your local auto parts store that MAY work fine for the fifty or fewer times you'll ever use it.

Make sure to get the jackstands if you use ANY hydraulic jack (or scissors jack for that matter) for work that requires you get part or whole of your body under the car.

FWIW

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Porsche supplied jack for 996 part number:

P/N 996-721-211-00 Scissors Jack

Why not just get one and keep it in car?

I believe you also bought the 996 spare tire and lug wrench.

If you don't also buy the spare and a wrench, what is the point of buying just the jack to keep in your trunk?

I recently had a flat and my first thought was that I need to buy a jack to keep in my trunk. Then I started thinking "why?". Without a spare what good would it do me to be able to jack the car up?

I have a floor jack at home if I need one.

Phil

On the road a jack can help you to isolate the source of your leak. It's much easier to work with if the thing is up off the ground and can be freely rotated. You can also get in there and take the wheel off to plug a hole (rather than fill it with goop). I'm going with a small hydraulic Bottle jack. No need for a floor jack. Just something small.

Dan

Quote:
    PS CA said:

If you don't also buy the spare and a wrench, what is the point of buying just the jack to keep in your trunk?

I recently had a flat and my first thought was that I need to buy a jack to keep in my trunk. Then I started thinking "why?". Without a spare what good would it do me to be able to jack the car up?

Phil

LOL, good point.

Then I think why does Barrett want a jack in the first place? He didn't say. At least when and if he comes against the buy-a-spare-or-not question he'll have the proper jack if he needs it... .

Oh, BTW, the Porsche scissors jack does not have a totally dedicated lift plate; it's basically flat with a doughnut-shaped "key."

Unlike many car-specific jacks I've seen, if you're careful Porsche scissors jack can be used for other cars and things.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I'm going with a small hydraulic Bottle jack. No need for a floor jack. Just something small.

Dan

Yeah, and those bottle jacks are very effective and inexpensive too. Simplicity makes them very useful for other stuff.

Funny that a simple question can lead to all this complexity.

The other thing to think about is ground clearance. You might get this really nice floor jack, bring it home and find there's not enough room to slide it under the Carrera!

Which brings us to a very important point. Do you know where it is safe to actually use a floor jack on our cars?

The best answer is exactly where the designed jack points are designed into the car.

Therefore (and remember it might work with other cars/things) why not get the 996 scissors jack?

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    On the road a jack can help you to isolate the source of your leak. It's much easier to work with if the thing is up off the ground and can be freely rotated. You can also get in there and take the wheel off to plug a hole (rather than fill it with goop). I'm going with a small hydraulic Bottle jack. No need for a floor jack. Just something small.

Dan

Good points aboout having a jack in the car. Is there a bottle jack that is short enough to fit under a 997? When I had my recent flat the car was in my garage. None of the jacks I had would fit under the car....including my floor jack. You have to get a low profile jack to fit under a 997.

Phil

I guess I wanted a floor jack just to keep in the garage. Then it was pointed out to me (because I had forgotten) that I don't even have a spare for the 997! But I have other cars (an SUV, as well as my girlfriend's 986 S) that do have spares (and the SUV has a full-sized spare). Rather than use the jacks supplied by those cars, I thought it would be nicer and simpler just to have a floor jack.

It is true, as has been pointed out, that I would probably use this thing less than a dozen times in my lifetime (because most flats would be changed on the roadside or flatbedded to the dealership).

I just like random tools and equipment!

Quote:
    Barrett said:

I just like random tools and equipment!

LOL.

Perfect candidate for an "optional" spare tire (I'm an amateur mechanic with tons of toolz).

Unfixable flat happened to me a week after getting my spareless 04 M3. After the whole day was lost due to total BS, I swore I would never again drive a car that didn't have a spare.

Fell over this one in a magazine a while back, have a look at the ALU-C. I have no experience with it so don't flame me, but it looks interesting as it is small, weighs less than 18 KG and is supplied with a rubber covered saddle.

www.compac.dk/pic/Brochure%20GB/GB%20-%20DK.pdf

I'll do a lot of hunting for a small enough bottle jack to do the work. I have, however, secured 4 hockey pucks the other day which will go on top of my floor jacks to keep the lift points pristene!

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    4 hockey pucks the other day which will go on top of my floor jacks to keep the lift points pristene!

Dan

Excellent.

Would be nice to get a large hexhead bolt that fits the hole at the jack point on car, cut off all but 3/4 inches. Then slip it into a hole made in the hockey puck; this will prevent slippage if using more than one jack or jack standstand. Presumably the puck also fits nicely (won't slip) in the cup of the jack.

IOW, FWIW, just a suggestion to consider interlocking the car and the jack if you're doing some fancy jacking. Then again, perhaps the compressive force on the hard rubber puck is enough... .

Ahh... . What a gorgeous piece of functionality

Here's the Porsche 996 jack. Nice hunk of metal. I loooove it. That's a good enough reason for me to get it insted of some ugly unit.

I have seen some gorgeous floor jacks (in terms of their functional, well-machined, seductive-alloy, aesthetics) but they're probably verrrry expensive as far as floor jacks go.

Re: Ahh... . What a gorgeous piece of functionality

I have a small hydraulic jack from Sears (cost about $30-50 - I can't remember). I do NOT carry it around as shown in the picture. It's a great little jack and is capable of lifting both the front and rear wheels off the ground when jacking from the rear jacking point.
    I do however carry the Porsche inflatable spare and Porsche scissor jack for emergencies (knock on wood).

Quote:
    Coochas said:
    I have a small hydraulic jack from Sears (cost about $30-50 - I can't remember). I do NOT carry it around as shown in the picture. It's a great little jack and is capable of lifting both the front and rear wheels off the ground when jacking from the rear jacking point.

Have you actually used the Craftsman jack shown in your picture to lift your 997? I tried to use a floor jack I own and it wouldn't go low enough to fit under my 997. I found what appears to be your jack at the Sears website (Sears item #00950523000 Mfr. model #50523) @ $39.99 w/case. They don't list the specs for the jack so I can't tell how low it will go. There are jacks that are specifically listed as "low profile" jacks to fit under low vehicles.

Phil

Sears?

Sears... . Hummm... . I think Sears has the same Chinese manufacturers as the us$15 jack at your local autoparts store. IOW, Sears just charges more for the same product by slapping their own name on it. I think they are going along with a general retail business trend: try to exploit your name and reputation to stay in business. (Kodak has been doing that for a looooong time!)

IMHO, of course. I've had Craftsman tools fail. Compelled me to take a closer look. They are a "good value" which should be your first clue. Check out and compare their "quality" for yourself... . You'll see more Devilbliss, or other products sold by, for example, Home Depot in contractors tool boxes than you will see Craftsman.

Re: Sears?

The Craftsman 3 ton floorjacks are a little too high for the 997. The all aluminum 'racing' floor jacks out of China being sold by Coastal Tools or anything like that will work. The front end roller is a very wide roller,--not two separate wheels. Gives the clearance you need.

Dan

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    Coochas said:

Have you actually used the Craftsman jack shown in your picture to lift your 997? I tried to use a floor jack I own and it wouldn't go low enough to fit under my 997. I found what appears to be your jack at the Sears website (Sears item #00950523000 Mfr. model #50523) @ $39.99 w/case. They don't list the specs for the jack so I can't tell how low it will go. There are jacks that are specifically listed as "low profile" jacks to fit under low vehicles.

Phil

All the time!

Quote:
    Coochas said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    Coochas said:

Phil

All the time!

Thanks. The Craftsman jack didn't look very "low profile" in the picture at the Sears website and they gave no specifications for the jack. It is a less costly alternative to the $140.00 Porsche sissor jack from the 996.

Phil:
    The scissor jack while expensive is the way to go IF you are carrying around a spare or radial tire kit and it weighs very little. But, for jacking the car at home, this little Sears jack works great.
    It does fit in the boot for easy portability but it is also heavy so you wouldn't want to just leave it in there.
    -dave

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689929 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409425 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255836 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235069 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858176 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774288 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM