Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: RS-tuning kits available for 997TT

Kit 1 is stock VTG
    Kits 2,3 are modified VTG exclusive to RS - no one else has access to these.
    The Cargrahic 997tt RSC 3.8 is being fitted with kit 3 as this is being typed and will be at the Essen Motorshow this week end.
    Kit 4 is non VTG turbos.

Any enquiries for these kits should be directed to Cargraphic and their distributors - emails to RS will very likely bare no response.

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Kit 1 is stock VTG
    The Cargrahic 997tt RSC 3.8 is being fitted with kit 3 as this is being typed and will be at the Essen Motorshow this week end.
    Kit 4 is non VTG turbos.

Any enquiries for these kits should be directed to Cargraphic and their distributors - emails to RS will very likely bare no response.

You seem very well informed. K24/26 in Kit number 4, correct? Wonder if they will build custom VTGs for that kit later on...

That being said, the Stage 3 should be fast enough as it is for just about anyone (23 seconds to 300 km/h).

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Kit 1 is stock VTG
    Kit 4 is non VTG turbos.

Any comment from the Ruf Turbo R vs M6 video from you TB993TT?
    How much power is making your heavily tuned 993TT this days?

J.Seven

Crash
    That kit 3 is going to be mind blowing, can't wait to see the test of the Cargraphic RSC 3.8
    I would think the modified VTGs will be at their limit at 618hp - I am specualting that it is only the compressors which have been worked on so the hot side will have a thermal limit which has probably been explored. Pricing for kits 1 to 3 is to be announced after the Essen show - apart from the exorbitant cost of the turbos it may actually be "quite" good value -relatively Kit 4 will undoubtably be the K24/26 race turbos and is available for the 996tt also.
    JSeven
    I am running a classic Schmirler power curve with 640NM by 3050rpm and peak power at 6410rpm which combined with 1390kg and 2WD makes for a very satisfying package, 100-200kph in 6.15s
    I am obviously drawn to the new 997tt and GT2 and enjoying all the threads however I feel the weight is always going to blunt the performance, particularly under 200kph which tends to be where I spend a lot of the time.
    Can you give me a linky to that Ruf VM6 vid ?
    cheers

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Crash
    That kit 3 is going to be mind blowing, can't wait to see the test of the Cargraphic RSC 3.8
    I would think the modified VTGs will be at their limit at 618hp - I am specualting that it is only the compressors which have been worked on so the hot side will have a thermal limit which has probably been explored. Pricing for kits 1 to 3 is to be announced after the Essen show - apart from the exorbitant cost of the turbos it may actually be "quite" good value -relatively Kit 4 will undoubtably be the K24/26 race turbos and is available for the 996tt also.
    JSeven
    I am running a classic Schmirler power curve with 640NM by 3050rpm and peak power at 6410rpm which combined with 1390kg and 2WD makes for a very satisfying package, 100-200kph in 6.15s
    I am obviously drawn to the new 997tt and GT2 and enjoying all the threads however I feel the weight is always going to blunt the performance, particularly under 200kph which tends to be where I spend a lot of the time.
    Can you give me a linky to that Ruf VM6 vid ?
    cheers

Ruf : M6

The VTGs will have to be custom made, but it will be necessary in order to justify the amount of money spent on the Alzen (Stage 4) kit. After all, nobody wants to revert back to older tech, no matter how good it may be.

The Ruf V M6 is not surprising considering the weight of the M6 and the lower end torque of the 993tt. At a recent similar airfield session it was apparent that the tuned 993tts were quicker accelerating as most other stuff out
    there - here is a crap video of my car running 520hp against a CGT2 up to about 140mph:

http://media.putfile.com/CGTv993tt

The stage 4 kit may become obsolete compared to the overall performance of the VTG kits - I guess there will always be some who need the most peak hp ?
    I think it would be a very big technical step up to make completely new VTGs with bigger hot side - this is where the real clever stuff comes into play and where the big manufacturer investment needs to be done - it may not happen.

Nice to see you here Toby! Great to have such a knolegeable contributor on Rennteam.

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    The Ruf V M6 is not surprising considering the weight of the M6 and the lower end torque of the 993tt. At a recent similar airfield session it was apparent that the tuned 993tts were quicker accelerating as most other stuff out
    there - here is a crap video of my car running 520hp against a CGT2 up to about 140mph:

The stage 4 kit may become obsolete compared to the overall performance of the VTG kits - I guess there will always be some who need the most peak hp ?
    I think it would be a very big technical step up to make completely new VTGs with bigger hot side - this is where the real clever stuff comes into play and where the big manufacturer investment needs to be done - it may not happen.

I heard that 9ff actually had their own made by Borg Warner (for the 660 bhp kit). Wouldn't touch their stuff with a stick, but those turbochargers might be interesting to look at.

Quote:
    Crash said:

That being said, the Stage 3 should be fast enough as it is for just about anyone (23 seconds to 300 km/h).

With just 618hp My guess would be around 30s

P.S.: all 600hp cars are around 30s, the Enzo with 660hp did a 26s

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Markus, the Turbos are extremely capable due to their flat torque curve.
    RS Tuning 626 PS kit

On the other hand, you have warranty .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Markus, the Turbos are extremely capable due to their flat torque curve.
    RS Tuning 626 PS kit

On the other hand, you have warranty .

The torque curve of the 997TT is also rather flat. Unfortunatly, it does not help the acceleration that much... Power is power - torque levels and curves don't seem to make a big difference

P.S.: I can still recall that (prior to the car's introduction) we all believed that the new 997TT will be an acceleration monster due its huge and evenly distributed torque

Yes, gotta agree on that. However, I'd trust Alzen and RS-Tuning enough to believe their claims. After all, the Ruf Rturbo 550 cars have already been doing 0-300 km/h in under 30 seconds for years, so a car with 70 extra bhp should have no problem doing it faster. Why so much faster than the 599? No clue. But honestly, I doubt you'll be complaining any time soon with 620 bhp under the hood .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Yes, gotta agree on that. However, I'd trust Alzen and RS-Tuning enough to believe their claims. After all, the Ruf Rturbo 550 cars have already been doing 0-300 km/h in under 30 seconds for years, so a car with 70 extra bhp should have no problem doing it faster. Why so much faster than the 599? No clue. But honestly, I doubt you'll be complaining any time soon with 620 bhp under the hood .

Is Uwe Alzen is the source for your 0-300 figure?

P.S.: The benchmark is not so much the 599 but the Enzo. I cannot believe that the 997TT with 618hp should be 3s faster than the 40hp stronger Enzo...

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Kit 1 is stock VTG
    Kit 4 is non VTG turbos.

Great info., TB993tt,

Just what I anticipated-tuners modding the VTG's. Indeed, Kit 3 should be impressive (845Nm torque at 2500rpm's)!

Will any rennteamer be in Essen this weekend?

Al

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    P.S.: I can still recall that (prior to the car's introduction) we all believed that the new 997TT will be an acceleration monster due its huge and evenly distributed torque

It would have been if Porsche hadn't limited it to 480 peak HP and 680Nm peak torque.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:

I heard that 9ff actually had their own made by Borg Warner (for the 660 bhp kit). Wouldn't touch their stuff with a stick, but those turbochargers might be interesting to look at.

Indeed Crash,

And at least one American tuner has a similar plan with a BW VTG "up its sleeve."

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

P.S.: The benchmark is not so much the 599 but the Enzo. I cannot believe that the 997TT with 618hp should be 3s faster than the 40hp stronger Enzo...

These are the claims by Alzen for the 996tt with 626hp kit and much less torque:
    http://www.juergen-alzen-motorsport.de/unternehmen/html/rs_kit_5_basis_420_ps.html
    If these are correct then a 618hp 997tt is going to be sub ~25s 0-300kph ?
    Time will tell, it won't be long before the Cargraphic 997tt RSC 3.8 is under the stopwatch

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

These are the claims by Alzen for the 996tt with 626hp kit and much less torque:
    http://www.juergen-alzen-motorsport.de/unternehmen/html/rs_kit_5_basis_420_ps.html
    Time will tell, it won't be long before the Cargraphic 997tt RSC 3.8 is under the stopwatch

Interesting, thanks

P.S.: Not too credible anyhow, just compare the Alzen claims to the Enzo performance. I guess, somehow they have to sell their cars...

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

It would have been if Porsche hadn't limited it to 480 peak HP and 680Nm peak torque.

That would have been the right decision

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Interesting, thanks

P.S.: Not too credible anyhow, just compare the Alzen claims to the Enzo performance. I guess, somehow they have to sell their cars...

Markus, looking at the Enzo and similar cars, they have much more drag than "normal" sports cars. I'm sure it could do it in close to 20 seconds if it had a smooth body. Honestly though, I doubt anyone here will be a customer for this kit (although I can think of at least one pharmacist ), so the point is really quite moot.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Interesting, thanks

Markus, looking at the Enzo and similar cars, they have much more drag than "normal" sports cars. I'm sure it could do it in close to 20 seconds if it had a smooth body. Honestly though, I doubt anyone here will be a customer for this kit (although I can think of at least one pharmacist ), so the point is really quite moot.

Still not convinced: remember the post summarizing some statements by G. Schmirler some week or so ago. According to this post the 540hp GT2 is still slower than the Carrara GT (which would shed some unfavorable light on the sportauto test results of this car...). Thus, you need more than 540hp in a GT2 (no AWD!) to compete with the Carrera GT. Now add the (negative) AWD effect. On this basis a TT with 618hp cannot be much faster than 30s...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Interesting, thanks

Still not convinced: remember the post summarizing some statements by G. Schmirler some week or so ago. According to this post the 540hp GT2 is still slower than the Carrara GT (which would shed some unfavorable light on the sportauto test results of this car...). Thus, you need more than 540hp in a GT2 (no AWD!) to compete with the Carrera GT. Now add the (negative) AWD effect. On this basis a TT with 618hp cannot be much faster than 30s...

P.S.: I probably would have believed in a sub 25s 0-300 performance for a 620hp RS version a year ago as well. However, over the last 12 months I have realized that cars with similar hp figure tend to accelerate fairly similar. Thus, with 600hp you do 0-300 in around 30s (SL65, 599GTB, LP640 etc.). With 500hp you do it in around 40s (997TT, Gallardo, F430, SL55 etc.). Just consider how much hp the Veyron needs to do a sub-20s time... The required incremental hp steps are getting huge in that speed range

MKSGR
    I agree, comments by G Schmirler re the CGT being quicker than the 542hp 1420kg 996GT are not helpful and I believe inaccurate. My guess is he had his "selling CGT engine packages" hat on that day - I think he got confused between a standard CGT and one with their 690hp Kit.
    Look at the evidence, AMS tested the 542 GT2 0-300 in 28.5s, they also tested an EDO 996GT2 with the same engine kit and the 0-200kph was almsot identical.

The CGT was tested 0-300kph in 34.2s

Checkout that video above, my car running 520hp was neck and neck to 130mph, on the following straight (1.4miles) I managed 193mph before the timing beam and the CGT managed 195mph
    http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?t=314544&f=133&h=0
    I had a data logger on my car for that run and two people in a 993GT2 arched 520hp car did 0-300 in 34.3s

The CGT looks spot on for the tested numbers.

The 997tt takes 40s which again looks right for 480hp - wait for the road tests, the Cargraphic RSC3.8 (618PS) will dip well below 30s, my guess is 25s dead.

What one must remember when relating hp to acceleration is the shape of the curve - the naturally aspirated accelerating through the gears in their "power range" say from 6500 to 8000 in the CGT will have steep power curves with around 80% of peak @ 6500rpm cpmared to the turbo Porsches which will have over 90% at the 5500rpm start of the "power range"
    This is what makes turbo Porsches accelerate much faster than the bare peak hp numbers

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

P.S.: I probably would have believed in a sub 25s 0-300 performance for a 620hp RS version a year ago as well. However, over the last 12 months I have realized that cars with similar hp figure tend to accelerate fairly similar. Thus, with 600hp you do 0-300 in around 30s (SL65, 599GTB, LP640 etc.). With 500hp you do it in around 40s (997TT, Gallardo, F430, SL55 etc.). Just consider how much hp the Veyron needs to do a sub-20s time... The required incremental hp steps are getting huge in that speed range

Your arguments make a lot of sense. If you ask me, those Turbos either have more bhp than advertised or they have more favorable gearing...
    Regarding the CGT comment by Gerhart, it supposedly accelerates to 300 km/h in 26 seconds, according to Porsche, so the 28-second 0-300 time for the 542-bhp GT2 is perfectly in line with that statement. AFter all, I remember seeing an Enzo-CGT comparison in an Italian car mag and they were neck-and-neck at 270 km/h. How the CGT, with similar drag to the Enzo could fall behind by 8 seconds in the last 30 km/h or so is something I still can't quite figure out . We need one of the CGT owners here perform a test with timing equipment.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    The torque curve of the 997TT is also rather flat. Unfortunatly, it does not help the acceleration that much... Power is power - torque levels and curves don't seem to make a big difference

Care to re-explain your physics lesson to this MIT engineer? I am at a loss from your rationale

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Care to re-explain your physics lesson to this MIT engineer? I am at a loss from your rationale

Very simple rationale: Look at the test data available to date. Similar hp = similar 0-300 performance (within 2-4 seconds). It is as simple as that

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    I had a data logger on my car for that run and two people in a 993GT2 arched 520hp car did 0-300 in 34.3s

Impressive performance

The 993GT2 has RWD and is around 200kg lighter than the 997TT if I recall correctly

It appears that the 997TT is less efficient in transforming power into acceleration. 41s with 480hp, maybe 36s-37s with 520hp? If you aske me this is a very likely 0-300 number for the 997TTx50.

Now: adding another 100hp should result in an approximately 15s shorter 0-300 time? No way

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:

Impressive performance

The 993GT2 has RWD and is around 200kg lighter than the 997TT if I recall correctly

It appears that the 997TT is less efficient in transforming power into acceleration. 41s with 480hp, maybe 36s-37s with 520hp? If you aske me this is a very likely 0-300 number for the 997TTx50.

Now: adding another 100hp should result in an approximately 15s shorter 0-300 time? No way

What you are forgetting is the better aerodynamics of the newer car, as compared to the 993. Also, weight stops being a big issue at high speeds (and I thought the 997TT AWD could send 100% of the power to the rear wheels ). Basically Markus, the only way to be sure is to wait for the test results of the 618 bhp kit. Until then I will go with the figures you provide.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:

Impressive performance

What you are forgetting is the better aerodynamics of the newer car, as compared to the 993. Also, weight stops being a big issue at high speeds (and I thought the 997TT AWD could send 100% of the power to the rear wheels ). Basically Markus, the only way to be sure is to wait for the test results of the 618 bhp kit. Until then I will go with the figures you provide.

Hmmm. Better aerodynamics should imply that the 997TT is faster than the 993, right? Given the 41s figure of the 997TT that adds another factor to my above argument that the 997TT does not transform hp into acceleration as efficient as the old 993GT2 did

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Very simple rationale: Look at the test data available to date. Similar hp = similar 0-300 performance (within 2-4 seconds). It is as simple as that

If you want a quick example of why torque curves give you a good picture of driveability and acceleration, take a torque laden car (the 997tt) and hold it in 6th. Then accelerate from 60-120mph or so. Do the same with a 430 or M6. The difference will be dramatic. The 430 or M6 would have to go down a couple of gears (gear ratios amplify torque) to match the 997tt.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759246 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433578 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259675 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256807 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80527 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870548 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805483 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM