Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Are they going to offer upgraded batteries any time soon? Aren't Tesla's newest ones more dense and therefor lighter and cheaper?

They are slightly better but no breakthrough. However cheaper to produce for sure which should help Tesla as the battery is the most costly part of the car.

Here is an interesting tidbits.

Randy Pobst and Jonny Lieberman was at my track yesterday filming Ignition. Pat Devereux from Top Gear and Mike Musto from The House of Muscle was also there filming their respective shows.

GM booked our track for the week to launch the new Camaro ZL1 1LE.

During the down time, I had a chat with Randy and Jonny, about my 918. they offered this little bit of detail about the Viper ACR. Chrysler will not let the ACR run at Big Willow. During the last year they went around all the tracks and keep setting records with the ACR but Big Willow is the one track they won't allow the car to run on, it would seems according to their own calculations the ACR will not beat the 918's time there and they don't want to face that consequence.

As for that Camaro, it is a proper track monster. GM ran it hard 3 days straight already and the 5 cars they had only ate fuel, nothing broke, and the tires lasted all 3 days. Those new Goodyear track tires will be a monster of a tire too. When they ran it at the Ring, it was generating 2.2G instantaneous and close to 2G sustained. That's even higher grip than Trofeo Rs. 

The Camaro team had approached Michelin to do the tires, but they were not interested, Goodyear was eager to get back into the track tire game and offered help. The resulting tire is simply awesome. 100 tread wear but with grip level higher than Trofeo R. These rubber even tops the Cup2s for all around performance considering grip and wear. Pricing isn't set yet but should be cheaper than Cup2s. 

I already have their Ring times. Yes with and 's'. There is 2 times, One public one private. The faster one is private, even when the team had all the video and data that associated with it. Long story but the short version is that they sort of broke one of the Ring rules in order to set that time. 

Another chat with Al Oppenheiser the chief engineer for Camaro reveals that they had Porsche as their target for track reliability. That came up as I was mentioning the durability of their cars. Especially the brakes. The car only has steel brakes, not even cross drilled, but they had no problem stopping the 3800lb car and peak temp for the brakes were only 600 degree. Even with the ambient temperature at the track staying above 30 degree. 

650HP track monster that cost $70kUS. Unbelievable bargain.

--

Thanks for the info..... any talk about the 10-speed  (Good or Bad) comments?

No, the cars are all 6-speed manual with rev match. 

--

Definitely it is a great car the only problem I have is its design, never likes them unlike corvette which is very nice looking to my eyes. 

Was there any mention of a Z/28 version of the Camaro coming?  Maybe with 700hp NA motor?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

Was there any mention of a Z/28 version of the Camaro coming?  Maybe with 700hp NA motor?

You can't be serious... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Check out: "Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE is shockingly quick at the Nurburgring (7:16.04)"- http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/22/chevy-camaro-zl1-1le-fast-nurburgring/

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:
    Grant:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/03/report-sixth-generation-chevrolet-camaro-z28-inbound-with-revolutionary-small-block-v8-engin...

--

Grant:
    RC:
    Grant:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/03/report-sixth-generation-chevrolet-camaro-z28-inbound-with-revolutionary-small-block-v8-engin...

I am sorry but I don't believe this. Car manufacturers need to fulfill very strict emissions regulations over the next couple of years and 700 hp from a 5.5 l n/a engine sounds very unlikely to me. Starting 2018, engines with direct fuel injection are required to have soot filters (nano particle filters) and I do not see any chance of such an engine putting out 700 hp from an n/a engine and fulfilling the necessary emissions regulations.

I believe it when I see it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Grant:
    RC:
    Grant:

I am sorry but I don't believe this. Car manufacturers need to fulfill very strict emissions regulations over the next couple of years and 700 hp from a 5.5 l n/a engine sounds very unlikely to me. Starting 2018, engines with direct fuel injection are required to have soot filters (nano particle filters) and I do not see any chance of such an engine putting out 700 hp from an n/a engine and fulfilling the necessary emissions regulations.

Maybe the US regs are more permissive?  This car may not be scheduled for export to Euro zone (like the GT350 was not exported there)...

--

I thought US emissions regulations (especially California) are stricter than EU, if not strictest in the world.

RC:
    Grant:
    RC:
    Grant:

Why? Ferrari and Lamborghini have no problem doing it.

Hard to argue with 7:12, but boy 3800 lbs is just so heavy for a car with no motor batteries. I suppose tire tech allows for this, because in the past, such a heavy car would destroy the tires in one day. Front tires must be above 300 width. 

Willow Springs is an interesting track.  It is at once a momentum track and a power track. Probably three turns over 100 mph. I wonder if the ACR has too much downforce or cannot exit the turns fast enough relative to the 918. Surely it is cornering as fast or faster. 

sfo:

I thought US emissions regulations (especially California) are stricter than EU, if not strictest in the world.

I don't think that is true any longer...

--

noone1:
    RC:
    Grant:
    RC:
    Grant:

Why? Ferrari and Lamborghini have no problem doing it.

Ferrari and Lambo are not doing it with only 5.5L and only 8 cylinders.  It would be very impressive...

--

Thank you...... 

vantagesc:

Hard to argue with 7:12, but boy 3800 lbs is just so heavy for a car with no motor batteries. I suppose tire tech allows for this, because in the past, such a heavy car would destroy the tires in one day. Front tires must be above 300 width. 

Willow Springs is an interesting track.  It is at once a momentum track and a power track. Probably three turns over 100 mph. I wonder if the ACR has too much downforce or cannot exit the turns fast enough relative to the 918. Surely it is cornering as fast or faster. 

305 front 325 rear. But on 19" rims.

--

Grant:

No mentioning of the Z/28 unfortunately. 

--

Nick - did you met the Michelin Guys at LeMans ? The technical director was 2 days at the PEC - great insights !

as to the Camaro - impressive although with that kind of tire dimensions - however, I have never seen a American car that can be tracked in stock configuration - maybe this is the first one......- my friends Z06 needed 50k Investments to make it track-reliable.....

Grant:
    sfo:

I don't think that is true any longer...

Of course it is still true...you would be surprised how strict some US laws are compared to Europe, even when it comes to the environment. The Paris agreement wasn't already implemented, it was just some sorts of joint letter of intent but nothing more (yet).

Not sure about the soot filter thingie in 2018 (EU) though, this could be something specific to the EU. Maybe someone knows more? This soot filter for direct fuel injection cars could be a serious issue with real life performance. On paper, the power output can be probably maintained but I have my doubts these engines will really be that powerful in the end. 

--

BjoernB:

Nick - did you met the Michelin Guys at LeMans ? The technical director was 2 days at the PEC - great insights !

as to the Camaro - impressive although with that kind of tire dimensions - however, I have never seen a American car that can be tracked in stock configuration - maybe this is the first one......- my friends Z06 needed 50k Investments to make it track-reliable.....

No I missed the Michelin people at PEC.

The Camaro really is completely stock. It came with Multimatic shocks, the Multimatic guys on site told me they are basically the same ones as on the Ford GT, Ford GT race car, the 911 RSR, and practically the whole GT field at Le Mans. Only the mounts are different. 

It has 2 settings for the front struts, street and track, accessible under the hood by basically turning a knob. In track mode it adds negative camber. 

Another thing is, when the Corvettes and Vipers run our track, after every session they had to open the hood to vent the heat, these Camaros just sit there waiting for the next run, no need to cool down. Really impressive.

--

If RC says it is not true ...  

but seriously it is not that hard to believe. Obviously they can make the emissions goals or Government Motors would not even be talking about it. Just because you guys wish it was not true does not make it false. Kind of predictable though given some American cars in the past but recently all makes have been improving. Except the Acura NSX. Lol. 

I will talk to my neighbor. He has a GM dealership. Stay tuned

Whoopsy:
    BjoernB:

No I missed the Michelin people at PEC.

The Camaro really is completely stock. It came with Multimatic shocks, the Multimatic guys on site told me they are basically the same ones as on the Ford GT, Ford GT race car, the 911 RSR, and practically the whole GT field at Le Mans. Only the mounts are different. 

It has 2 settings for the front struts, street and track, accessible under the hood by basically turning a knob. In track mode it adds negative camber. 

Another thing is, when the Corvettes and Vipers run our track, after every session they had to open the hood to vent the heat, these Camaros just sit there waiting for the next run, no need to cool down. Really impressive.

Will you be purchasing this model Camaro as a track car?

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

bobr:

Will you be purchasing this model Camaro as a track car?

A shocking answer, no, it is too fast.

At the track we run 4 groups, fast, slow, open wheel and bikes. 

Every car I have right now belongs to the fast group, and my Club Sport is basically one of the fastest car to run on track, there really is no reason to run anything else other than just to try them on the track for a few times.

I actually need a slow car right now so I can run the slow group. 

Not the answer you are looking for isn't it Smiley

But for other members that are in need of a fast track car, they are taking a serious look at the Camaro.

--

What car fall in the slow group?

Roughly speaking it would be cars that are under 300hp, or cars/drivers that would be hard pressed to break 2:40 in lap times. 

Most 'fast group' members are doing around 2;30 or just below. 

The Camaro did a best of 2:11.88 in the hands of Randy Pobst. That means most members would be doing about a 2:25-2:30 lap in it. Comfortably in the fast group.

In the Club Sport I am doing mid teens when I am trying, and around 2;25 or so relaxed. 

So right now I am looking at perhaps Miatas, or Alfa 4Cs to run in the slow group. 

For reference, Radicals are the fastest on track, they hold the record at 1:58 from a SR8, and the SR3s are lapping in the high singles.

--

Whoopsy:

A shocking answer, no, it is too fast.

At the track we run 4 groups, fast, slow, open wheel and bikes. 

Every car I have right now belongs to the fast group, and my Club Sport is basically one of the fastest car to run on track, there really is no reason to run anything else other than just to try them on the track for a few times.

I actually need a slow car right now so I can run the slow group

Not the answer you are looking for isn't it Smiley

But for other members that are in need of a fast track car, they are taking a serious look at the Camaro.

What about a GT4?

Smiley

Whoopsy:

So right now I am looking at perhaps Miatas, or Alfa 4Cs to run in the slow group. 

For reference, Radicals are the fastest on track, they hold the record at 1:58 from a SR8, and the SR3s are lapping in the high singles.

If I were in your predicament I would be looking at something low on HP but very very light and very simple mechanically and raw with no electronic aids at all, since that would let you run with the slow group but give you a challenge at the wheel and another aspect of car handling and dynamics that you don't get with the fast modern cars... maybe a track prepped classic sportscar, like a 964 with everything removed that is not necessary for the track for lightweight, track suspensions, wheels/tires, etc...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754794 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431389 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258832 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255806 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79810 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868806 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802706 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM