Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Speaking of taste and other people...

Went to my dealer a few days ago, out there in his showroom, there is a 997 Turbo waiting for delivery.
    I look at this car, I look inside it and I'm shocked: all black, Tiptronic, yellow stitching, PCCB brake, yellow seatbelts, painted seatbacks, full carbon...this was MY car WITH yellow stitching. I asked the sales guy about it and he told me that the owner of this new 997 Turbo saw my 997 Turbo when it arrived back in June and he also heard that I wanted to add yellow stitching but I couldn't get it. So this guy loved my car so much...he ordered the same car with the same options, just added yellow stitching to his order. I HATE this guy...doesn't he have his own taste?

Two weeks or so ago, another black 997 Turbo entering the dealership's parking lot, my dealer's second car (he sold three cars so far...not that he couldn't sell more...he didn't get more allocations ). This 997 Turbo was also Tiptronic, all black but with the standard brake system.

Apparently there are now three black 997 Turbo in my town, one of them looks exactly like mine from the outside (the one with the yellow stitching). I don't say I blame them for their good taste but I wish people would be somehow more "innovative", so we don't end up with three supersportscar in the same colour in the same town.

Btw: I wanted to order guards red at first (like my former 996 Turbo) but after talking to my wife and taking in consideration our neigborhood, I decided against it. Maybe it was a mistake.

Anyway: at least I will have the loudest 997 Turbo soon.

Re: Speaking of taste and other people...

Quote:
    RC said:

I'm willing to bet that very soon, your city will have TWO loudest black 997TT Tiptronics .

Quote:
    RC said:
    Went to my dealer a few days ago, out there in his showroom, there is a 997 Turbo waiting for delivery.
    I look at this car, I look inside it and I'm shocked: all black, Tiptronic, yellow stitching, PCCB brake, yellow seatbelts, painted seatbacks, full carbon...this was MY car WITH yellow stitching. I asked the sales guy about it and he told me that the owner of this new 997 Turbo saw my 997 Turbo when it arrived back in June and he also heard that I wanted to add yellow stitching but I couldn't get it. So this guy loved my car so much...he ordered the same car with the same options, just added yellow stitching to his order. I HATE this guy...doesn't he have his own taste?

Two weeks or so ago, another black 997 Turbo entering the dealership's parking lot, my dealer's second car (he sold three cars so far...not that he couldn't sell more...he didn't get more allocations ). This 997 Turbo was also Tiptronic, all black but with the standard brake system.

Apparently there are now three black 997 Turbo in my town, one of them looks exactly like mine from the outside (the one with the yellow stitching). I don't say I blame them for their good taste but I wish people would be somehow more "innovative", so we don't end up with three supersportscar in the same colour in the same town.

Btw: I wanted to order guards red at first (like my former 996 Turbo) but after talking to my wife and taking in consideration our neigborhood, I decided against it. Maybe it was a mistake.

As we say: "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery."

Perhaps a POWER upgrade soon, as well as the SOUND upgrade, to better "distinguish" yours from his?

you must went with white!!

I like to blend in so see it as a good thing.

When you buy a BLACK car you can't expect to be the only guy in town with one. Order it in bright green,--now there, THEN, you will most assuredly be the only guy in town with one of those,--for a long time to come!

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    When you buy a BLACK car you can't expect to be the only guy in town with one. Order it in bright green,--now there, THEN, you will most assuredly be the only guy in town with one of those,--for a long time to come!

Dan

Btw: from today on, I definetely have the loudest 997 Turbo in town.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

Btw: from today on, I definetely have the loudest 997 Turbo in town.

Prove it?

I am puzzled as to why you would be concerned. All Porsche's look alike and I am sure in your area there are many Porsche's. No one will notice having two other black Turbo's in your town,

Only a sadistic Rennteamer would tell us he now has the loudest 997 Turbo in town and NOT post a video/audio!

RC we need a video!

Yeah, we won't believe it until we hear/see it.

Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:
    Only a sadistic Rennteamer would tell us he now has the loudest 997 Turbo in town and NOT post a video/audio!

Guys, you have to wait a week or two. The exhaust is still new and from my experience with other systems, it needs at least a couple of hundreds of kms to "free" itself.
    We'll try to make a nice little video making you hear the sound from inside and from outside the car. Just give us a week or two.

you should have opted for a more fancy car to avoid being copied.

Quote:
    RC said:
    but I wish people would be somehow more "innovative",

Since when is black innovative

Btw my father was one of the first to order a black 911 in the early 70's and Porsche tried hard to discourage him from ordering one - how times change...

Yes, I'd love to hear what it sounds like. RC, did you order the "sport" version? I've got that one on order and hope to get it soon.

Christian,i'm thinking to my Christmas gift...

so..i need your opinion soon

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Yes, I'd love to hear what it sounds like. RC, did you order the "sport" version? I've got that one on order and hope to get it soon.

Atomic, can I ask you where you have ordered the cargraphic from and how much it will cost? the dealer is socal is asking 4200 plus 400 for the install. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
    Tom said:
    you should have opted for a more fancy car to avoid being copied.

huh?

I got mine from RSS too. Greg is a great guy to deal with!

As far as I know, all the 997 turbo on this forum are pretty much the same.

No one owns a midnight blue or a speed yellow. No one has a burgundy or a green one. There are many shades of greys and blacks, there are 1 or 2 cobalt and a white and a red one. But that's it. And all of these cars have black interiors. And all these cars have the std alloys everybody seems to hate.

That said, I'm not surprised at all. And if I could order one, I'd never get the green one. Just like everybody else.

Argh...sorry about the douple posts.

It seems every MBZ, BMW and especially Porsche sold in the Silicon Valley from 2000-2004 had to be silver . Seemed like the same 20 cars always following you around everywhere you went. If I bought one today, I'd replace my Black/black for a Cobalt/Natural Brown Turbo or my favorite, the Black-Orange for a GT3RS. 911s were road toys when I first noticed them in the late 60s/early 70s with their bright colors in an otherwise drab auto landscape ( aside from a few nutty American late-muscle car paint/stripe schemes) and I'm glad the GT3RS is helping to stimulate younger Porsche buyers' interest in something other than Silver or Black .

funny

no. 1 question I am asked about my car:

"Turbo, cool! What year is it?"

Yup - they all look the same to the unwashed masses

Re: funny

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    no. 1 question I am asked about my car:

"Turbo, cool! What year is it?"

Yup - they all look the same to the unwashed masses

It's what good ( mostly ) and bad about the 911's unchanged silhouette after 40+ years . To most non-car enthusiasts , a black 997 , for instance , cannot be told apart from a well kept -up late 70s black 911SC.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

Thanks, I am assuming you are having the install done in WA, how much were you quoted and do you know if it can be done wihtout removing the bumber?
    I had replaced my boxster's exhaust myself and I was wondering if this is much more complicated.
    Thanks again.

I haven't found a shop to do the install yet. I have a few ideas though. And no, I don't think it's probably possible to install the exhaust without removing the rear bumper. Everytime I see someone get theirs installed, there was always a picture of the exhaust on the car sans the bumper.

IMO, resale value no object, for any car, colors aside from blk/silver/shades of gray just don't appeal.....

Diffce is in past 5 yrs or so, in SilicVy/Greenwich, any F/P/MB is ultimately a daily-use, disposable car that guys get rid of after 6-12 mos....and most tech/quant-oriented guys seem to favor blk/silver/grey shades..... ...I suspect SilicVy/Greenwich are the places that made silver/grey/blk F's commonplace....would observe that 3 of the 4 first 599s delivered at FoSF (to very frequent F/MB/P buyers) are blk/grey.....

Sure, for a tie (for those in Manhattan/Lond who actually wear those silly things on a daily basis), a whimsical color, like green, etc is fun and daily-changeable, but car color choices are prob different for most guys....

Sergio Pininfarina said it best a few years ago when he commented that white , silver and black are just values of tone from light to dark - not " colors " as in the rainbow spectrum, all of which have different degrees of " tone " . So don't forget to say " nice tone " instead of " nice color " the next time you see a pretty black or pure silver car ! Save " nice color " for that Cobalt Blue or Guards Red , lol! ( he prefers silver , as it showcases the designer's intent best to the client , he says )

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764577 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436643 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261110 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258024 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82687 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877009 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809099 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM