Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: LA Launch of Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster

HO-LEE F**K!!!!
    I almost spilled my coffee there Ron, what a fantastic car

Alex18_996CC: Here are a couple of reasons why you should go to Iceland.
    I have taken pictures from the same location, and I have driven across the glacier in the background (Vatnajökul) in a 4x4 with 44" wheels:

Iceland is such a beautiful place, you'll never have seen anything like it. (Been here as well)

The location for photo's has been one of the best I've seen. Although I doubt there will be much real "top-down" action in the glacier picture

Well it can get into the 20s (Celsius) in summer, but I didn't see many convertibles up there

Here's a typical car in Iceland:

Anyway, back to the AM Roadster.

Fantastic picture

Scenery sure is gorgeous....

A few more pics from Auto Express:

My favorite shot.

OMG do I want one. Anybody have any idea what the US price is?

Aston Martin builds beautiful cars and the quality seems to have never been better than now.

BUT: performance sucks in my opinion. They're too heavy and not sporty enough.

Starting with next year, when the winter is over, we'll have the possibility to testdrive a few Aston Martin models and with some luck, we may be even testdriving a DBS as soon as it is going to be available officially.
    I'm very curious to experience how these cars drive but judging by the test results in various magazines, I'm not impressed...yet.

Watch Top Gears comparo test of the 997S, AM and the M6. Its pn You Tube if you missed it.

They tested all 3 at the same time on the Isle of Man on closed mountain roads.

The 997S was the quickest and the fastest.

The AM could be heard coming from miles away - but lacked power to accompany its nice voice and looks.

The M6 took several minutes of in car screen and control time to obtain "maximum" power and was about tied with the AM.

The 997S was the clear winner. Even the Porsche hating Clarkson praised it over the others - especially over
    the M6 for BMW's many ridiculous steps needed to access "max" power.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Aston Martin builds beautiful cars and the quality seems to have never been better than now.

Starting with next year, when the winter is over, we'll have the possibility to testdrive a few Aston Martin models and with some luck, we may be even testdriving a DBS as soon as it is going to be available officially.
    I'm very curious to experience how these cars drive but judging by the test results in various magazines, I'm not impressed...yet.

This car will be definately just for a cruiser. I test drove the AM V8 coupe a while ago and it's not faster than an E46 M3! I the convertible is even heavier and with the same power output as the coupe, will be slightly slower. Perfomance has never really been one of AM's fortes..

Quote:
    RC said:

I think that when you drive a car as beautiful looking, and sounding, as the V8 Vantage Roadster you don't really care about absolute performance.

At least I wouldn't, one run through a tunnel with a Vantage and I couldn't care less about it's NBR laptime...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Watch Top Gears comparo test of the 997S, AM and the M6. Its pn You Tube if you missed it.

They tested all 3 at the same time on the Isle of Man on closed mountain roads.

The 997S was the quickest and the fastest.

The AM could be heard coming from miles away - but lacked power to accompany its nice voice and looks.

The M6 took several minutes of in car screen and control time to obtain "maximum" power and was about tied with the AM.

The 997S was the clear winner. Even the Porsche hating Clarkson praised it over the others - especially over
    the M6 for BMW's many ridiculous steps needed to access "max" power.

The 997 was the best/fastest, no doubt about that. But in the Vantage and M6's defense, the 997S was "maxed out" with the sportsuspension and PCCB.

The M6's "boot" time was just Clarkson giving BMW a hard time over iDrive, which he hates. The procedure they went through is something you do once when you buy the car. Just like when you buy a new computer or mobile you have to customize it to your preferences. After entering all these preferences once, all it takes is a push of the M-button on the steering wheel....

Quote:
    RC said:

IF quality has improved, and I had the funds, I would like a DB9, but not as a sports car so much as...a very classy 650i competitor!

I think that when you drive a car as beautiful looking, and sounding, as the V8 Vantage Roadster you don't really care about absolute performance.

At least I wouldn't, one run through a tunnel with a Vantage and I couldn't care less about it's NBR laptime...

Amen Temm, although I still prefer the looks of the hard top.

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

I couldn't agree with you more!

Suspect car will be a favorite trinket for guys on LA's Westside to buy as gifts for their kids' nanny...or their secretary or "masseuse"...or talented young ladies who are awarded "scholarships" by their philanthropic foundation.....

For me one of the best looking cars ever! A timeless car.

Today, i had the chance to testdrive a V8 Vantage. Awesome sound, nice interior, fantastic exterior. Nearly the same speed in curves like a 997s. I have a short testtrack, i always drive Different types of curves. As good as no understeering. Very neutral handling.

A small powerlag till 3500 rpm, but then same power as a 997s. I think my next car will be an Aston Martin V8 Roadster...

Quote:
    KF said:
    I think my next car will be an Aston Martin V8 Roadster...

Quote:
    RC said:

Yeah, performance sucks so much in the AMV8 that he did in the Ring 8:03mins lap against the lap of the 997 S with ceramic brakes option: 8:05....Strange, don't you think?

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

This car will be definately just for a cruiser. I test drove the AM V8 coupe a while ago and it's not faster than an E46 M3! I the convertible is even heavier and with the same power output as the coupe, will be slightly slower. Perfomance has never really been one of AM's fortes..

Wait until the DBS comes out.

Have a look at the Prodrive website (Aston Martin Racing). Apparently torque is dialled back below 3000 rpm to aid refinement? The prodrive mods increase power to around 425bhp, with significant boost to low and mid range torque too.

I think the process requires new cats and ecu reprogramming. One could also ask the factory to supplier a lighter variant of the AMV8 in addition to this....

Quote:
    KF said:
    Today, i had the chance to testdrive a V8 Vantage. Awesome sound, nice interior, fantastic exterior. Nearly the same speed in curves like a 997s. I have a short testtrack, i always drive Different types of curves. As good as no understeering. Very neutral handling.

A small powerlag till 3500 rpm, but then same power as a 997s. I think my next car will be an Aston Martin V8 Roadster...

Quote:
    AM V8 said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Yeah, performance sucks so much in the AMV8 that he did in the Ring 8:03mins lap against the lap of the 997 S with ceramic brakes option: 8:05....Strange, don't you think?

Don't forget that the AM V8 had semi-slicks on it. Anyway the V8 Vantage is heavier than a 997! So the ring performance is still impressive. But i think some guys underestimate this car. A big problem was a comparison between a 997s and a early V8 Vantage in a german car mag last year. The 997 won clearly. But after my ride i can't understand that summary. Both are incredible.

Quote:
    KF said:
    Quote:
    AM V8 said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Don't forget that the AM V8 had semi-slicks on it. Anyway the V8 Vantage is heavier than a 997! So the ring performance is still impressive. But i think some guys underestimate this car. A big problem was a comparison between a 997s and a early V8 Vantage in a german car mag last year. The 997 won clearly. But after my ride i can't understand that summary. Both are incredible.

The 997 S was better than the Aston V8 in this german test probably because the germans who made the test appeled(?) more to the Porsche because it is GERMAN!

Quote:
    AM V8 said:
    Quote:
    KF said:
    Quote:
    AM V8 said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

The 997 S was better than the Aston V8 in this german test probably because the germans who made the test appeled(?) more to the Porsche because it is GERMAN!

Yup, just like when the British Top Gear team ran the AM against the clock and against a 997S and BMW M6 along the same same stretch of road on the Isle of Man, all driven by the Stig, their national preferences caused them to allow the 997S to win.

Um, no! That doesn't quite sound right, does it?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763298 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435835 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260754 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257738 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81015 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872720 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808194 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM