Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Hello I'm new and need advice!

Hi everyone, I just registered because of my new found love for Porsches. Having been lucky enough to find myself being able to buy a second hand Boxster S two years ago... I now find myself in a position of being able to buy a 911 (997) C2S. My local dealer was very accomodating in letting me have a 48 hour test drive.. Needless to say, I loved it and now I need one! He obviously wants to sell me a new one, but there seems to be a few nearly new out there for about Pounds20k less! So - what should I do?

1. Go for the whole 'new-car experience' and suffer the huge loss of cash when i come to sell it in a few years, or
    2. Go the more sensible route and buy a second-hand car which should hold it's value better?

I'm in a real quandry.... Any advice/opinion would be well received!

Thanks all...

Tricky.

Re: Hello I'm new and need advice!

Welcome to the Rennteam Family.

If you buy from a Porsche Centre there is very little difference in the price of new in relation to used. So I'd go new. Spec as you want and you have the reassurance that no-one has "abused" YOUR car. Oh and do it properly - go for the Factory Collection Experience, you won't regret it.

Good luck whatever route you go.

Hi Tricky - welcome on board
    If the used one is nicely equipped (to your likings): get the used one and keep the Boxster S as a fun car for the sunny days

If its under warranty go for the used one, you probably can get great mileage too. I wouldnt buy a Porsche w/o a warranty regardless of my 997 not having issues..goodluck, yes keep both cars, Boxster S's are a nice step up from the older Boxsters

Welcome aboard, Tricky.

I doubt you'll find a good second-hand one for Pounds20K less than list? That's pushing it a bit! Maybe a write-off, but that's not recommended.

What you could do is find a second hand, low mileage, in warranty (or with extended warranty) example with as many of your desired options as possible. Then at the same time place an order for a new car delivery in, say a year's time.

That way you get to own and drive a 911 right now, without too many worries about depreciation, without the dreaded 'wait' and it also gives you chance to evaluate the car fully so you can spec' your new car exactly as you want it.

Seems to be the best of both worlds.

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    If its under warranty go for the used one

As we have only 2 year warrantee here in the UK (from when the car was 1st registered) you really have to look at this carefully.

I myself got a 'used' car with 2000 miles on the clock. It cost me only Pounds2000 less than the new price but it came with the benefit of:

1) Not having to go through the unbearable wait for 6-9 months for a new car. I bought the car on a Friday and picked it up on the following Monday!
    2) Someone had already run the car in for me, so I could take it up to the rev limiter from day 1.
    3) Anything missing from your ideal spec you can alway retro-fit later (I did PSE and Sport Shifter later at not too much extra cost than factor fitting). Well maybe not 'anything' but most of the 'cool' options

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    If its under warranty go for the used one

As we have only 2 year warrantee here in the UK (from when the car was 1st registered) you really have to look at this carefully.

I myself got a 'used' car with 2000 miles on the clock. It cost me only Pounds2000 less than the new price but it came with the benefit of:

1) Not having to go through the unbearable wait for 6-9 months for a new car. I bought the car on a Friday and picked it up on the following Monday!
    2) Someone had already run the car in for me, so I could take it up to the rev limiter from day 1.
    3) Anything missing from your ideal spec you can alway retro-fit later (I did PSE and Sport Shifter later at not too much extra cost than factor fitting). Well maybe not 'anything' but most of the 'cool' options

Excellent points....
    I am in shock you only have a 2 year warranty in the UK, thats not acceptable. Why? ..what happened Ferdinand?

I've done both for what it's worth. I bought a new very high spec 997 C2 tiptronic off the showroom floor from an OPC last year then sold it 9 months later and took a Pounds10k hit in depreciation. I've just bought a 12 month old, one owner, high spec 997 C2S with 4,600 miles from a very good independent and saved nearly Pounds12k against a new one to the same spec. The car looks and feels brand new, has the balance of the original warranty on it and is nicely run in. There was no real difference in the buying experience - in fact the used dealer was a tad more attentive to be honest. I'd advise you to go down the used route and let someone else take the initial depreciation hit. You may also get a higher spec than you might otherwise have gone for new. Another bit of advice is to shop around carefully. I looked at the cars in the OPC at Guildford the other week whilst in town on business. They were very expensive and didn't have great specs compared to the car I ended up buying.

One last piece of advice.... seek out a car with the PSE sport exhaust option. My first car didn't have it but my latest one does and what a difference it makes to the overall experience

Quote:
    John H said:
    That way you get to own and drive a 911 right now, without too many worries about depreciation

A low mileage car in a year will lose at least Pounds10k! I have been told 15% loss in the 1st year, 10% in the 2nd year, and 5% every year thereafter.

So if you go used followed by new after a year, be prepared to take a hit. I personally have now decided to wait 3-5 years for my next 911. Trading in luxury cars in this market is a total b**ch which should be avoided like the plague where possible (IMHO)!

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    One last piece of advice.... seek out a car with the PSE sport exhaust option. My first car didn't have it but my latest one does and what a difference it makes to the overall experience

Yup, you'll want this for sure. In fact I noticed a used 997 with PSE on the lot at OPC Reading the other day (it had the exhaust tips and PSE button), and PSE option wasn't listed on the sticker in the window. So you would effectively be getting that for free if you went with that car!

One extra piece of used 997 buying advice is to go for a car registered after Aug 2005 if you can. That way, if you want to retro-fit the Powerkit option (X51) later then you have that option. That is the ONLY thing I regret as my car is a July 05. My 'used' car is a total gem otherwise.

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:

Excellent points....
    I am in shock you only have a 2 year warranty in the UK, thats not acceptable. Why? ..what happened Ferdinand?

Not only in the UK - it's the same over here in Germany
    Of course you always can extend the warranty by paying an annual premium of approximately 1,000 Euro (max. extension 9 years/200 tkm) - excluding wearing parts.

Don't forget the PCM is NOT included in an extended warranty.

I got a used one and saved the money. Who can tell when you're driving it???

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I've just bought a 12 month old, one owner, high spec 997 C2S with 4,600 miles from a very good independent and saved nearly Pounds12k against a new one to the same spec.

ISUK! Which independant did you buy your car from, and would you recommend them? Thanks...

boytronic you have a pm.

Personally, I'd never buy a used 911 unless I knew the person who was selling it and trusted them. I'm just too picky. But that's just me..

In my book it boils down to getting what you want, but if you can find the spec you want cheaper then it must be worth thinking about.

For me the thrill of a new car is worth the extra! Plus I got exactly what I wanted. That said I got mine new from Guildford OPC too and they didn't big up the PSE too much, but with hind sight it's something I'd go for.
    So if you do go new, take a trawl around on here for opinions on options. There are so many that no dealer can show/ evaluate them for you fully.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    One extra piece of used 997 buying advice is to go for a car registered after Aug 2005 if you can. That way, if you want to retro-fit the Powerkit option (X51) later then you have that option.

Can the X51 power kit be installed in a C2, not a C2S?

I am also new. I just ordered a new 2007 C2. But, I would have went the used route if I could have. There are very few late model used Porsches in my area. I really don't trust ebay when spending $60 - $80k. I looked for about a year and finally broke down and ordered the new one.

FYI, I was able to purchase at 5% discount under MSRP.

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    One extra piece of used 997 buying advice is to go for a car registered after Aug 2005 if you can. That way, if you want to retro-fit the Powerkit option (X51) later then you have that option.

Can the X51 power kit be installed in a C2, not a C2S?

Only C2S and C4S (both 3.8L engines) as far as I am aware

Quote:
    jplanaux said:
    I am also new. I just ordered a new 2007 C2. But, I would have went the used route if I could have. There are very few late model used Porsches in my area. I really don't trust ebay when spending $60 - $80k. I looked for about a year and finally broke down and ordered the new one.

FYI, I was able to purchase at 5% discount under MSRP.

I think if I was in the US then I would almost always go new as you guys can get sizeable discounts from your Porsche dealerships on new cars. Never going to get that in the UK!! You'll be lucky if you get free floor mats thrown in!

Wow... thanks to all of you who have responded! All absolutely invaluable advice... Having listened to all the advice, I've decided to look for a nearly new example. A friend gave me a name of a chap who normally only deals with nearly new performance cars for trade and not end-users. But as he was recommended to me, he said he'd be happy to help. So, he says he's got a '06 997 C2S with 5k miles on the clock. It has all the toys I wanted (including PSE option - respect to ISUK!) and it'll set me back Pounds60k - Pounds16k cheaper than the brand new one! Only thing is, this guys says it's a 3.6L!? I have to admit, I didn't even know there was a 3.6L. I know I'm being lazy, but does anyone know if there's a big difference in performance?

It's all so exciting!

If its a 3.6 then its just a C2 and not a C2S!! Confirm what model you're actually getting before you commit...

Quote:
    boytronic said:
    If its a 3.6 then its just a C2 and not a C2S!! Confirm what model you're actually getting before you commit...

Yes it will the base model so, at that price, you would be saving considerably less than Pounds16,000.

If you're buying a used P-Car (or any exotic I guess), I recommend you either get it from an operation with a strong reputation to lose (e.g. OPC - but they are v expensive - or a well known independent), and/or find a used P-Car expert who can crawl all over the one you're actually buying to check it out.

Getting as much info on the model of the car you're buying as you can might be a good idea, too - this board's a pretty good place to start, I guess. The Porsche GB Owners' Club, which is quite cheap to join, also has a wealth of info available and a huge network of local P-Car owners who I'm sure could provide loads of support and advice.

Although I hope the misunderstanding over the 3.6L vs the 3.8L engine spec by your dealer was unintentional, this is an extreme version of what could potentially go wrong.

Hope this somewhat granny/eggs post is of some use; good luck with your purchase - you'll love the car however you decide to get one.

What is the business with the 48 hour test drive!?
    I've just been invited to do a 24 hour test drive too!
    What is their wicked plans!?

Quote:
    moto said:
    What is the business with the 48 hour test drive!?
    I've just been invited to do a 24 hour test drive too!
    What is their wicked plans!?

I think they call it 'The Crack Dealer approach'!! I know that I was pretty reluctant to give it back after the weekend!!

SonOfStig - Thanks for the advice; you're not teaching me to suck eggs - i really value all the help thus far that everyone has given me... I've never spent anything like what I am about to on a car, so I'm pretty keen to get it right!

I am now quite concerned that this dealer guy doesn't know that a 3.6L is not the 'S' variant that I asked him to look for... Ho hum.. Can anyone recommend any Independant operation that they have used in the past in the Surrey area? I just don't want to spend anymore that I have to!

P.S. Is 8% a good APR when financing part of the cost?

Thanks all again!

I guess this is typical. A guy buys a new Porsche, takes real good care of it, does the breakin responsibly. Then something "bad" happens, like a new baby, or loss of job and he's gotta unload the car.

WORST CASE SCENARIO: A few hours before he gives it up, he beats the sheet out of it just for fun. Not enough to break it because a broken car will ruin all his plans. So the car got this last minute abuse and GUESS WHAT: the thing can take whatever he could have thrown at it under those circumstances (e.g. he did not do a 24 hr Le Mans).

BEST CASE SCENARIO: he's a responsible dude with no devilish tendencies and just " babied" (i.e drove it "normally" for a Porsche) the car to the last mile he owned it.

So the chances of getting a low mileage used car that was routinely beaten and abused is pretty low. The car should be gone over by a mechanic, they can tell how the car was treated.

Good luck.

Quote:
    Tricky said:

Is 8% a good APR when financing part of the cost?

If it's 8% then it's actually alright considering it's an OPC quote you're getting? Just make sure that it's not 8% above the base rate!!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I guess this is typical. A guy buys a new Porsche, takes real good care of it, does the breakin responsibly. Then something "bad" happens, like a new baby, or loss of job and he's gotta unload the car.

WORST CASE SCENARIO: A few hours before he gives it up, he beats the sheet out of it just for fun. Not enough to break it because a broken car will ruin all his plans. So the car got this last minute abuse and GUESS WHAT: the thing can take whatever he could have thrown at it under those circumstances (e.g. he did not do a 24 hr Le Mans).

BEST CASE SCENARIO: he's a responsible dude with no devilish tendencies and just " babied" (i.e drove it "normally" for a Porsche) the car to the last mile he owned it.

So the chances of getting a low mileage used car that was routinely beaten and abused is pretty low. The car should be gone over by a mechanic, they can tell how the car was treated.

Good luck.

Good comment, realistically, most people who spend GBP 60,000 to GBP 70,000 on a Porker are not going to thrash the hell out of it, maybe a too rich and too stupid minority. Second hand can be a good option. Personally, I have never bought a second hand Porsche but thats only because I have never found one with the options I like.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689529 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409213 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255730 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234981 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857952 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774008 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM