Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Lovely Question, Answered. Good Question to Ask Everybody.

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:

MMD, do you ever use 6th gear?????

LOL. I should NOT be driving, should be licenseless.

I know all the roads and habitually drive them (rural, sparsely-populated, know where cops might hang out so "safe"). Every time I'm driving this 997S I'm into triple digits (mostly 120s and 130s).

I do it just to make sure I properly wear in all the gears EVENLY!

Oh, to be sure (don't want to be a total ahole) : whenever there's another car on the road I abruptly cut speeds down to 70s and 80s (or 50s and 60s).

Oh, in cities I am totally polite;I give the UTMOST respect to pedestrians (same overarching respect to pedestrians on rural roads). In people's neighborhoods (residential) I NEVER EVER SPEED. In traffic, I always let drivers in front of me if they seem to have their sh*t together.

It's the back roads triple digits (cops) and someday an errant deer that's the potential problem.

Everyday I drive that car I risk getting my license revoked and thrown in the slammer (hasn't happened yet). How about you?

Re: Lovely Question, Answered. Good Question to Ask Everybody.

MMD,

Glad to see you are 'normal' - I was worried for a minute.

Quote:
    1st997 said:
    MMD,

Glad to see you are 'normal' - I was worried for a minute.

Just in the mid- 150mph range ( very easy), several times in Germany. Often, too much traffic to go much faster. And I'm still in the break in period.

I think i've used 6th gear once!

Quote:
    911Fanatic said:

Surely when cruising along a motorway legally at 65-70mph you use 6th gear in order to get half-decent MPG?! No?

Personally the gear that I rarely use is 5th. 4th will comfortably take you into triple digits for accelerating passed other cars, and then straight into 6th for cruising...

I'm with Alex, 5th gear is my most under-used gear. Compared to most modern performance cars, even the ratio in 6th in our 911's is rather steep! The 997 is one of the few performance cars out there where top-speed is achieved in 6th gear and is redline-limited. Most other cars achieve top speed in 5th.

Interesting, I use 5th thee most when freeway cruising..
    Unless I am out in the real open, I cant keep a speed for 6th w/o almost a bog. 70mph in 6th is not happening for me, BOG

I love the top speed idea in 6th all the way to redline, but I gotta take the care out somewhere where its desolate..

My car rarely sees 6th gear. The time it sees 6th is cruising the interstate at 80+mph. The car just loves to spin its engine, why hobble it by using sixth unless you are droning.

I am a nut case when it comes to fuel efficency. I measure everything. From my tests, the efficency in 5th relative to 6th is almost zero at 70mph. So why bother going to 6th.

My driving habits in the 911 have changed since I purchased it. I no longer drive it daily, using it only for real sporting drives. I love heading to the mountains and the twisty back roads. The only gears it sees are third and forth. It just carves up the turns and the acceleration is more than enough to keep my happy. This engine just loves to spin and the gear box just works so well in keeping it spinning.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a 'BOG'?

I've had averaged 29 MPG on some long motorway trips. No way would I have achieved this if I wasn't using 6th gear going around 70mph. I can happy use 6th gear after about 50mph if the traffic is slow but constant.

Obviously if you want to then zoom off, you blip the throttle, and throw the car straight into 3rd or 4th ...that's one of my favourite things about a manual gearbox, especially in conjunction with the sports exhaust

NOTE: empty twisty backroads are a different story, I rarely get passed 3rd gear.

I use 6th on the highway or any boring driving which involves cruise control...
    5th almost never in spirited driving (mountain roads)..
    I think however 6th is much more usable than on my ex 986S. It was wayyy toooo loonnng to accelerate whereas on the 997S you can decently overtake without the downshift...The gearbox is nicely adapted to the 3.8L...

I use 6th on the highway or any reasonably level (i.e. not mountainous) stretch where I would use cruise control (assuming the traffic situation is ok).

Just drove to Vermont on Saturday.

215 miles total NJ->VT; 125 on I-87, then 80 miles on 2 lane state roads with one 22 mile semi-limited access road in the middle.

75 MPH on I-87 with cruise control; 63 MPH overall for the entire trip; averaged 23.5 MPG.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

I've had averaged 29 MPG on some long motorway trips. No way would I have achieved this if I wasn't using 6th gear going around 70mph. I can happy use 6th gear after about 50mph if the traffic is slow but constant.

Obviously if you want to then zoom off, you blip the throttle, and throw the car straight into 3rd or 4th ...that's one of my favourite things about a manual gearbox, especially in conjunction with the sports exhaust

NOTE: empty twisty backroads are a different story, I rarely get passed 3rd gear.

I am smiling explaining BOG at 818am, I need my Starbucks.
    Long drives are different, thats like what I said about taking the car out into open space, bring it ON...6th can be fine.., and gas mileage is a whole other nice issue, but for me, 6th on Cali freeways doing 70MPH doesnt feel right, I stay in lower gears. A bog is when I am in too high a gear for the speed I am going, and in a Porsche that sound is abnormal to my ears, it needs to roar!

50MPH in 6th at a steady speed, never, I might need a future valve job...

Any big-city freeway scenario doesn't really qualify as highway cruising... you're constantly having to shuck & jive.

Luckily, I don't have to deal with that.

I find that 79-80 mph is a safe speed where cops don't care, but I make good time, and the engine is at a comfy RPM in 6th gear. It's certainly not lugging. Maybe if I owned an S2000, I'd stay in 5th.

Because for my the car is a real luxury, I tend to have 2 driving styles: cheapskate and enthusiastic. When I'm on cheapskate setting I tend to keep the revs between 1.2k and 2k, which involves 6th at a surprisingly low speed. I don't do that religiously, but you get much better mpg that way.

Enthusiastic setting, as others have said, rarely sees 5th gear let alone 6th.

I only find engine bogs/lugs whatever under 1k revs or so, even in 6th. Amazing machine...

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

I am smiling explaining BOG at 818am, I need my Starbucks.
    Long drives are different, thats like what I said about taking the car out into open space, bring it ON...6th can be fine.., and gas mileage is a whole other nice issue, but for me, 6th on Cali freeways doing 70MPH doesnt feel right, I stay in lower gears. A bog is when I am in too high a gear for the speed I am going, and in a Porsche that sound is abnormal to my ears, it needs to roar!

50MPH in 6th at a steady speed, never, I might need a future valve job...

Alex - I also wondered what a BOG was.

Vikki seems to have a language of her own. I wonder if she knows what it means over here.

Personally I agree with you - nothing better than dropping from 6th to 3rd and letting it rip.

Normally I use the rev counter and change down to keep at no lower than 2000rpm. The torque on our car is such that it will pull quite happily even from 1500rpm.

Vikki - I don't think you'll have any problems with your valves even if you spend too much time in the BOG.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Vikki - I don't think you'll have any problems with your valves even if you spend too much time in the BOG.

Comedy

Party at my house for BOG discussion,
    Brits, Yanks all invited..

Bog is in the english language...
    results for: bog

1. wet, spongy ground with soil composed mainly of decayed vegetable matter.
    2. an area or stretch of such ground.
    3. to sink in or as if in a bog (often fol. by down): We were bogged down by overwork.
    4. bog in, Australian Slang. to eat heartily and ravenously.

Example: # 3 the engine was bogged down by lack of speed and correct gear
    John: I pick #4 for what bog means in britain!!!

My friends Porsche needed a valve job, that where I came up with that !!!
    My valves are fine!!
    and
    I am on my way to Thailand, Phuket, Tsunami land.

In the UK, if you say you are "going to the bog" then it would mean going to the 'little boys' or 'little girls' room...

Hence John's crude 'toilet humour' above (to which I am STILL laughing at)

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Party at my house for BOG discussion,
    Brits, Yanks all invited..

Vikki - should I bring my sister or my cistern.

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:

No Vikki - what you may need after indulging in a number 4.

Sometimes, over here, it's called a number 2

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    911Fanatic said:

Surely when cruising along a motorway legally at 65-70mph you use 6th gear in order to get half-decent MPG?! No?

Personally the gear that I rarely use is 5th. 4th will comfortably take you into triple digits for accelerating passed other cars, and then straight into 6th for cruising...

I was partly joking about using 6th gear only once....I always use it on the interstate. Most of my driving is close to home where 2,3 & 4 are used most of the time....and the most fun I might add!

Also...

• Boggin' [Scottish] : very revolting!
  • Bog-off [English] : go away!

...the latter of which Vikki may express to you soon John

• Re: Lovely Question, Answered. Good Question to Ask Everybody.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    Vincenzina said:

No Vikki - what you may need after indulging in a number 4.

Sometimes, over here, it's called a number 2

Oh man.., bog would have to mean that...
    Lets get back to talking about driving 50MPH in 6th gear, did you know its against the law..
    BTW, John you get rep points for this!!

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    BTW, John you get rep points for this!!

Oh no! here we go again - what are 'rep points'

I've looked in Wikipedia and could it mean this?:-

rep (rĕp)
    n. Informal.
    A repetition of a particular movement.

Thats funny

no silly reputation ...
    I got you looking up all my words in the dictionary, perfect!!! Cant explain this one John...
    tu parli italiano?

Re: Thats funny

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:

Cant explain this one John...
    tu parli italiano?

Do you mean the form of Italian based on the dialect of Florence, or regional dialects such as Upper Italian (Gallo-Italian); Venetian (in North-Eastern Italy); Tuscan; the dialects of Marche, Umbria, and Rome; of Abruzzi, Puglia, Naples, Campania, and Lucania; or those of Calabria, Otranto, and Sicily?

Padre mio nato in Lucca vicino Firenze
    My father was born in Lucca near Florence
    Madre mia nata in Sicily vicino Palermo
    My mother was born in Sicily near Palermo

They came over to the USA on the Titanic.. , no the Mayflower?

BTW, which dialect do you prefer>?

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Padre mio nato in Lucca vicino Firenze
    My father was born in Lucca near Florence
    Madre mia nata in Sicily vicino Palermo
    My mother was born in Sicily near Palermo

They came over to the USA on the Titanic.. , no the Mayflower?

BTW, which dialect do you prefer>?

lingua toscana in bocca romana.

BTW - The Mayflower set sail in 1620. If your parents were on it they'd be quite old now.

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    I am on my way to Thailand, Phuket, Tsunami land.

Just don't get BOGGED down vikki..

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

I think Vincenzia is referring to "lugging" the engine. Lugging is having the RPMS too low. My US manual cautions about lugging.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763086 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435703 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260703 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257689 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872603 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808047 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM